am starting a weight loss odyssey today, so lets get started.  My weight this morning was 264, and my height is six feet tall, which puts my BMI is 35.8 which is considered obese. I used a BMI calculator found here: BMI Calculator.  I am going to set my goal at 194, which would give me a BMI of 26.3 and that is considered to be overweight.  If I got down to 184 then I would have a BMI of 25.0 which is considered normal.  I am sure we could have a debate of how accurate the BMI is, but its fun to look at.  I do know that being obese is not healthy under any circumstances.  

So here we are. It is a beginning.  I will try to post everyday on my progress or lack of progress.  I decided to call this an odyssey, because it will have a lot of ups and downs along the way to the goal, which is to be at a much lower weight.  And here we go...

• Like 3

Following. I'm 2 months in on my own. 5'9 started with a BMI above 29, on the border of obese. I would say the BMI debate can be relevant in trained individuals. But persons in an untrained state, it is a good indicator. I'm down to 26.3 as of yesterday, so progressing well. Another 10 or so lbs will put me into normal weight.

I've been using Carb Manager as a meal tracker to help keep me on point, and making sure I follow my plan 90% of the time (2 meals a week where I eat whatever I want, without going completely crazy).

Fitness, like honour, is never bestowed but earned through blood, sweat and sacrifice

Its day 2 and this morning I weighed 261.8, so its a decrease of -2.2 pounds..  I did 30 minutes of cardio on the stationary bike and then I worked the upper body with weights.  Prior to midnight tonight I may go back to the gym for some more cardio.  I am not expecting another loss tomorrow, but that's okay it all part of the process.  I will check in tomorrow.

• Like 1

You'll also see a lot of day to day variation based on water retention, have you defecated today, etc. Up or down by a couple pounds a day isn't completely unheard of if you don't have a regimented weigh in protocol (mine is weekly on Monday mornings 500ml coffee, 15ml oil, 30ml 33% cream for breakfast and don't weigh in until I've urinated and defecated, nothing by mouth after the coffee until weigh in complete). Sounds OCD, but if 1 week you weigh in like I do, and the next week you weigh in right before bed, it isn't going to be all that accurate for tracking purposes.

Fitness, like honour, is never bestowed but earned through blood, sweat and sacrifice

Its day 4:  Gibsorz yes I expect the weight to go up and down each morning.  I have found that by weighing myself every morning it takes away stigma of weighing in.  This morning I weighed in at 261.2, so the total weight loss now is -2.8.  I did 20 minutes on the treadmill and 25 minutes on the stationary bike.  Later today I will do more.  I am looking for that formula of exercise that that equals a loss vs the amount of calories I consume.  Yesterday it was 70 minutes of cardio + weights that equaled -1 pound weight loss.  With variations included I hope to get an equation that works for me.  

Later in the day I added 30 minutes on he stationary bike, so the total is 75 minutes cardio.  Let's see how that works for tomorrow morning.  My odyssey continues and thanks for the support.  See you all tomorrow! :eagerness:

• Like 1

Its Day 5 and this morning I weighed in at 261.2, so there was no loss or gain!  That would be like the Neutral alignment in D&D.  This morning I did 35 minutes of cardio and I will add more cardio later today.  You should all know that I am on vacation now, which will end on July 31st.  I am looking forward to see how I can fit in the cardio around work.  So...it was a total of 75 minutes cardio yesterday and it equaled to no weight loss.  There are a lot of variables like how many calories I ate and the amount of activity I had yesterday.  I will shoot to increase the cardio to 80 minutes and then decrease the calories.  

• Like 1

Its day 6 of my odyssey and this morning I weighed 258.2, for a total weight loss of -5.8 lbs. This morning I did 36 minutes of cardio at the gym, and I intend to do more later today.  I want to add here that I am also dealing with prostate cancer, and the treatment I receive makes me feel fatigue a lot.  Fatigue + inactivity + overeating = weight gain.  I have learned that many cancer survivors deal with weight gain due to their treatments.  My hope is that I can find an equation of exercise and diet that I can do even with fatigue.  So, that is what I am dealing with, but I will find a way to win.  Just like heroes in a fantasy story fighting against overwhelmingly powerful evil forces, I will win. 

• Like 1

Congrats on the weight loss. Woot for  not giving in , and fighting even when there are extra obstacles to overcome. Personally, I love walking. It is great exercise, doesn't make me hungry, and can be done even when I'm tired (and it has the benefit of adding energy rather than draining it) Great job at fighting that evil dragon Cancer!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Congrats on the weight loss. Woot for  not giving in , and fighting even when there are extra obstacles to overcome. Personally, I love walking. It is great exercise, doesn't make me hungry, and can be done even when I'm tired (and it has the benefit of adding energy rather than draining it) Great job at fighting that evil dragon Cancer!

Thanks Elastigirl!  I will try to add more walking too. 

Its day 7 and I weighed 260.6.  I did not workout today and it was probably a combination of the Lupron shot I got yesterday and then feeling down about getting news from the cancer doctor.  Even feeling tired I can exercise so that really is an excuse.  I can control how much I ate so I did eat much less today.  I will get back to it and keep moving forward.  The battle continues...

Omg, I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Sending you support vibes and virtual hugs if you want them. Maybe you could discuss with your doctor how best to exercise. I heard some exercise is good for treating cancer, but I don't know what kind. Seconding Elastigirl, walking is great.

• Like 1

Its day 8 and I weighed 257.6 lbs, so the total loss for the 1st week is -6.4 lbs.  Yesterday I did some intermittent fasting, so that's probably why I had an overnight loss of -3 lbs.  I drank 3 protein shakes, so that is what curbed my hunger.  Even during radiation treatments I had my appetite never decreased, which can be good, but also not good if your goal is to lose weight.  Maybe now that has changed, because I am weighing myself daily and posting those results on here.  By weighing myself every morning it demystifies the weight.  It really is just a measurement and not some overwhelming demon you have to fight in a dungeon.  I highly recommend weighing yourself each morning to help weight loss.  Thanks. 

• Like 1

Its day 9 and I weighed 255.6 this morning.  I just realized that was -2 pounds overnight, and the total loss is -8.4 lbs.  I am not doing anything radical, but I am doing intermittent fasting.  Being on vacation makes doing this easier, but I am not using a lot of energy right now.  So, I am wondering how it will work when I get back to teaching in August.  I stopped eating at 11:30 yesterday, then first ate around 7:30 am, so the total time fasting was about 20 hours.  I will add that during this time I drank two protein shakes that I made, so that curbed the hunger pains.  When the hunger pains hit me instead of fighting them I embraced them.  I mediated and just let that pain flow through me.  Then it was not painful at all.    

• Like 1

Its day 10 and I weighed in at 254.6 this morning.  That's -1 overnight and a total of -9.4 overall.  I just noticed that the weight loss since day 7 has ended in a .6 lbs and its been even.  That must be an astronomical coincidence of some kind.  So far Intermittent Fasting has been working, but yesterday I made 3 protein shakes during the fasting period and for two of those shakes I included a banana.  So, I do not know if that's true IF or not?   

• Like 1