• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ClockworkOrange

Just one quick question...

Growing up, I used to be thin and muscular and athletic. From the ages of maybe 12 to 25. I remember, at a doctors checkup (at maybe 13 or 14), he tested my BMI and asked me about my diet. I scoffed and said "I eat what ever I want and never gain weight", he said to me "Well, as time goes on that will change." 

Didn't he have the last laugh in the end. I am now 37 and I have really let my body go. Over the years I didn't really care because I suffered anxiety and depression and all sorts of nasty crap.

Well I am over that now (finally) 

So I guess my question is - if I dedicate myself for hours at a gym, 5 times a week am I able to lose 50, 60, 70kgs in 5 months without hurting myself or sending myself to the hospital? I am not talking about some sort of beast mode. I know that will only cause me to cramp up and burn out, I am just talking about taking it at pace but over the course of half a day, 5 times a week or so.

Working out will help you get faster, stronger, bendier, etc. based on the workouts you are doing. Weightloss mainly comes from what you eat (or don't). We have a saying here that you can't outrun your fork. That means you can't really workout enough to lose weight if you are eating too much. Getting nutrition in line is at least 80% of weightloss, and it's possible lose weight without working out provided one eats in a certain way. If you are not prepared to take a look at your nutrition practices and make some changes that stick you won't find yourself losing much weight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClockworkOrange said:

So I guess my question is - if I dedicate myself for hours at a gym, 5 times a week am I able to lose 50, 60, 70kgs in 5 months without hurting myself or sending myself to the hospital? I am not talking about some sort of beast mode. I know that will only cause me to cramp up and burn out, I am just talking about taking it at pace but over the course of half a day, 5 times a week or so.

People respond to exercise differently. It burns calories but it can also make you hungrier. So it might supplement your weight loss efforts, if you don't compensate for the burned calories with more food. But no, you won't lose 50kg through exercise, and exercising excessively is a bad idea. You should find a kind of exercise you enjoy, do an amount that is enjoyable (start slow and work up, if you're not used to it), and see about switching up your diet a bit.

I don't think 50-70kg is a prudent goal for such a short time frame. Predatory advertisers will suggest you can lose huge amounts quickly, but most reliable health and medical sources seem to agree that you shouldn't aim for more than 2lb per week. That's about 4kg per month, though of course it depends on your size to start with. You might lose more at first, especially if you're very overweight and start dieting for the first time--you can lose several kg in water and glycogen if you cut the amount of carbs you're eating--but fat loss is generally a lot slower than the 10kg per month you were hoping for. Sorry to say the most boring, sensible thing ever, but: it's worthwhile making new health-focused habits you can live with long-term, rather than punishing yourself with extreme diet and exercise schemes. 

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Working out will help you get faster, stronger, bendier, etc. based on the workouts you are doing. Weightloss mainly comes from what you eat (or don't). We have a saying here that you can't outrun your fork. That means you can't really workout enough to lose weight if you are eating too much. Getting nutrition in line is at least 80% of weightloss, and it's possible lose weight without working out provided one eats in a certain way. If you are not prepared to take a look at your nutrition practices and make some changes that stick you won't find yourself losing much weight.

14 hours ago, Harriet said:

People respond to exercise differently. It burns calories but it can also make you hungrier. So it might supplement your weight loss efforts, if you don't compensate for the burned calories with more food. But no, you won't lose 50kg through exercise, and exercising excessively is a bad idea. You should find a kind of exercise you enjoy, do an amount that is enjoyable (start slow and work up, if you're not used to it), and see about switching up your diet a bit.

I don't think 50-70kg is a prudent goal for such a short time frame. Predatory advertisers will suggest you can lose huge amounts quickly, but most reliable health and medical sources seem to agree that you shouldn't aim for more than 2lb per week. That's about 4kg per month, though of course it depends on your size to start with. You might lose more at first, especially if you're very overweight and start dieting for the first time--you can lose several kg in water and glycogen if you cut the amount of carbs you're eating--but fat loss is generally a lot slower than the 10kg per month you were hoping for. Sorry to say the most boring, sensible thing ever, but: it's worthwhile making new health-focused habits you can live with long-term, rather than punishing yourself with extreme diet and exercise schemes. 

Thank you both for your responses. Greatly appreciated and also a great eye opener. I feel a lot better and more educated simply from those two posts alone, I think I can work out a really good exercise AND diet plan.

@Tanktimus the Encourager I love the quote about the fork! That made me laugh and I will take your advice about the diet.

@Harriet Yeah, years ago before my life exploded I did go to the gym quite a bit and would spend at least 2 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week but when I came home, I found the first thing I would do is go straight to the fridge and be ravenous.

Eh 50kgs in 5 months I knew would be a bit um, unrealistic but that's a starting point for what might be more realistic. I actually carry my weight quite well (I am 6 foot 8 inches tall) so if nothing else, I wont LOOK as round in 5 months. :glee:

I joined this forum because it is time to get serious and hence gain knowledge (I don't know much about weight loss and everyone seems to have there own different advice.)

Boring and sensible might just be the best thing for me right now. I know a lot of people that get serous about it very short term, they join up to the gym, go hard for a few days, do the diet thing for a few days then burn out and fall back into old habits. I really don't want that to be me. Long term sensible goals.

Thank you again, both of you for your advice. I will be sticking around, lucking and posting.

Cheers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ClockworkOrange said:

Boring and sensible might just be the best thing for me right now. I know a lot of people that get serous about it very short term, they join up to the gym, go hard for a few days, do the diet thing for a few days then burn out and fall back into old habits. I really don't want that to be me. Long term sensible goals.

Thank you again, both of you for your advice. I will be sticking around, lucking and posting.

Excellent, excellent. You might consider doing a four week challenge - since lasting change takes such a long time it can be good to write things down, share and get some encouragement. I've also been pointed in the direction of lots of interesting resources by more knowledgeable nerds here. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 5:13 AM, Harriet said:

Excellent, excellent. You might consider doing a four week challenge - since lasting change takes such a long time it can be good to write things down, share and get some encouragement. I've also been pointed in the direction of lots of interesting resources by more knowledgeable nerds here. 

I did see the four week challenge section. I am yet to take a peek. I shall do that actually. Might not only give me inspiration but help me map out a clear goal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ClockworkOrange said:

I did see the four week challenge section. I am yet to take a peek. I shall do that actually. Might not only give me inspiration but help me map out a clear goal.

If I can make a suggestion: try to make your goals action based, rather than outcome based. We can't control how quickly (or slowly) our bodies lose fat and gain muscle; but we can take actions to encourage our bodies to do so. It can be very frustrating to set goals for fat loss, especially since progress is never linear - so it's often more productive to focus on things that you can DO, rather than 'things that happen as a result'.

Also, personally, I prefer to track girth rather than weight; using a cloth tape measure to track waist, hips, shoulders, thighs & biceps, etc. The benefit of that kind of tracking means that you have a better idea of what kind of progress you're making (eg. if your biceps get bigger while your waist gets smaller), rather than measuring how much water your body is holding onto on any given day. :P 

Some ideas for possible action items:

- eating at least 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight/day (this has a handy side effect of making you super full, so you naturally eat less)

- aiming for at least 5 veg & 2 fruit a day (or 3 veg & 1 fruit, or even less - start from where you are, focus on incremental progress)

- keeping refined/added sugars to less than 30g/day

- trying to hit at least 8,000-10,000 steps a day

- scheduling your life to get at least 8-9hrs dedicated to sleep and your bedtime/wake up routines (ie. ideally 8hrs of sleep, 30min to chill out/get ready on either end)

- meditating for 10-20min/day (or less! again, start small, build up) to help manage stress

- keeping a gratitude journal (also helps to reduce stress hormones, makes body composition goals move a bit faster)

- doing some resistance training for 3-5hrs every week (eg. 30-45min 5-6 days/week, 1hr 3-4 days/week, whatever works for you!)

- doing something that raises your heart rate for 1-2hrs every week (eg. running, rowing, swimming, hiking, ultimate frisbee, community soccer - whatever! ;) )

- setting a timer that goes off every 2hrs and then you have to do 20 burpees or similar (even at work, you can just sneek into the bathroom and do bodyweight squats)

- limiting alcohol to no more than 2-3 drinks/week

- go for a walk outside at least once a week

- etc.

These are just some options that I've found success with personally, not at all 'you need to do this stuff' or anything like that. I can pretty much guarantee that you will look and feel better after 6 months of eating more protein & veg and committing to regular weight lifting though - regardless of what your waist or weight are. Welcome to the forums, looking forward to seeing you around!

EDIT: While I'm thinking about it, I'll also point you to check out the MATADOR study that was done last year - it showed that intermittent caloric restriction can have a more desirable outcome on metabolic changes over time over a consistent caloric restriction. In plain English - instead of eating less all the time in order to lose fat, this study showed that overweight men did better with a cycle alternating between two weeks of eating less (in this study 30% less than their daily energy expenditure) and two weeks of eating AT their daily energy needs (AKA. TDEE). So for someone like yourself, that may be a good strategy to use for long-term fat loss in order to keep your metabolism humming along as much as possible.