• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Leafar the Lost

Why isn't there a Wizards Guild?

On 8/19/2019 at 6:01 PM, sarakingdom said:

(Sentence removed by moderator.)

Really mods, sentence removed without explanation or comment? That’s some bad juju right there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Really mods, sentence removed without explanation or comment? That’s some bad juju right there.

It did make it look like I said something way more obscene than I actually did. The moderated version seemed far more inflammatory than the unmoderated version, because it left the door open to so many possibilities. :P 

I was surprised that comment crossed the moderation threshold, but I didn't mind being moderated on it. Clearly the tone didn't read right to someone, and I knew that was a possibility when I posted, though I thought it'd fall more into the "likely to earn me an annoyed reply" range if it landed badly . It seemed like a gentler option than an earnest discussion about how I was taken aback by the rudeness of his tone and thought he was somewhat misinformed about the situation. But I was aware ahead of time that the tone might go either way, depending on the reader. One person's "I'm not gonna make a federal case of this, but please reflect on the impression you're making" is another's "I'm being super condescending with you". That's fair enough, moderator's call.

That's my best guess, anyway. That, or they thought I'd just challenged him to a duel for his honor, and it was going to be pistols at dawn followed by sweet tea if they didn't step in.

• Like 2

I actually did see the original comment. :) 

Spoiler

And found it kinda funny

I can also see it going both ways, but I always prefer to see a discussion or comment about why a certain tone is deemed bad. That way mods can set the tone of the conversations and the forums by showing what’s ok and what’s not. If it’s just censored that whole opportunity’s lost and it makes for a, well, kinda creepy vibe. Especially when it’s in a post from someone that’s not just a random spammer but active member and eloquent writer. It was also surprising to see as usually NF does have good discussions on forum “etiquette”.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I always prefer to see a discussion or comment about why a certain tone is deemed bad. That way mods can set the tone of the conversations and the forums by showing what’s ok and what’s not.

On general principle, I agree; transparency,  teachable moments, and leading by example are pretty helpful in a community. And can be pretty positive and transformative, if done calmly and kindly for the good of the community. My only big argument on NF was, by mutual agreement, carried out publicly for the sake of transparency. We each had the good of the community in mind, and wanted people to know about the content of the discussion and also show we could resolve conflict in the community without it becoming a flame war. It turned out well, no hard feelings and a better group dynamic all around.

(That's why I was totally happy to address the issue raised about potentially fat-shaming language. I didn't feel called out by it, I felt it was a valid concern that deserved transparency and a public dialog, and I was glad to clarify.)

I can also respect the reasons for dealing with some things privately. Sometimes discretion is the kindest and most productive route.  In that case, I'd generally expect the mod to contact the moderated user with some private form-letter notification that a deletion had happened and what the issue was, so that at least the user who was out of line can individually be made aware of what's okay and what's not. 

Less hypothetically, it did for a split second strike me as odd that it happened totally invisibly to me. (And it was just by chance I saw it, because I wasn't getting thread notifications and might have forgotten I posted here.) Fortunately, I find myself very trustworthy, so I was okay with assuming I'd take the hint and not be a repeat offender. ;)

someone that’s not just a random spammer but active member and eloquent writer

*blush* Are... Are we BFFs now?

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 6:52 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

You are far from basic, @Machete. Plus your posts are about coaching, nutrition and punching bag, not lifting weights :P

I try try to be a bit basic. We need to connect with the audience somehow.

giphy.gif

I actually did see the original comment. :) 

Reveal hidden contents

And found it kinda funny

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

I really enjoyed the discussion on fat shaming too, it's always a good thing to bring up potentially harmful language! 

On 8/29/2019 at 12:40 AM, sarakingdom said:

*blush* Are... Are we BFFs now?

Pretty sure that's how it works. :P 

On 8/29/2019 at 2:27 AM, Machete said:

giphy.gif

I know I'm a terrible person. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3835299

• Haha 1

Wholesome internet etiquette talks. Appreciation for mods that explain their decisions. Totally here for it. 

On topic: I mean. The sky is the limit if you don't let the titles bar you from using your imagination.

I find Hazard's quest the only true way to introduce a new concept in an established community anyhow.

Any big change requires work, and perhaps even more manpower (mods? managing threads etc.)

And this would be a big change. Because to maintain the overall feel of the forum, applying this change would not be as easy as clicking on a button and adding a new subforum "Wizards" or whatever it would be called.

Maybe it would even add work to Steve's plate, since only the current classes are mentioned in his blogs.

Maybe it would even mean that it would have to be added to the applications, the training programs etc. Otherwise it would be a class that exists only on the forums. The only one that does, then, I believe.

If you want to justify this change, and truly find it so important & plead for it, you have to back it up in any way possible. Maybe even make them enthusiastic about it. 

Also, demanding stuff rarely works in interactions between equal and independent individuals. You suggest, and you persuade.

It's okay if your first instinct is to demand, especially if your request TO YOU seems self-evident, but people are typically more inclined to do stuff in their free time when it is not demanded of them, especially from a stranger. Especially about something that has clearly been thought out extensively and re-evaluated as often as this forum :) Just some constructive feedback. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1