• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedStone

Warrior Mini Challenge - A Quest to Remember Chp. 1

You wake up, finding yourself in an unfamiliar bedroom. 

BM00Jmg.png

The room is fairly dark with heavy wood and thick green curtains blocking out all but a single beam of sunlight highlighting a slow swirl of dust. Your throbbing head feels heavy when you try to lift it from the soft pillow and you realize how weak you are as you take in your surroundings - a small desk in the corner boasts a pile of parchment, ink, and quill. Next to it is a dressing stand that someone has apparently hung your outer clothes on, and there is a chamber pot and bedpan on the floor below the dark oak four poster bed that you’re lying on. There are two doors, and you can make out the muffled sounds of a fair few voices behind one of them. 

You think back, searching your foggy mind for the last thing you remember… it was a cobbled alleyway, in a town you didn’t recognize but one you had been searching for… you were stumbling along with the world coming in and out of focus, but the only thing you had drank that day was some water a goblin offered you after you had asked for directions…

THE GOBLIN!

You groan, holding your pounding head in your hands. Something seemed off about him from the start, but you were desperate - having lost your horse and provisions to the river crossing the week before - and had been walking in the heat ever since. What was in that water? According to the bed pan, you have been violently sick, and who knows how long you have been in this place. 

You want to peer out the window to at least get some bearings for where you are, but can you muster the strength to get out of bed?

You can barely lift yourself up and can’t remember ever feeling this weak. Whatever you’ve been poisoned with has left you feeling as empty and frail as the molted paper exoskeleton of a cicada. You panic slightly at the thought of being trapped in this strange bed forever - but then you laugh. You’ve never been one to lay down and simply accept a terrible fate! You resolve to get out of this bed and figure out where you are, how you got there, and get back on track for your quest. Whatever it was.

You hear a small voice in the back of your head, YOUR voice, egging you on: All you have to do it sit up…

Let’s rebuild those sitting up muscles. For this stage of the mini challenge, you will add an additional round of core exercises to your normal routine. Even if you’re already doing some core - you’ll add a bit more. If you're unsure of when to incorporate, ask!

Here are some tips and suggestions.

-Protect your spine by drawing your navel in - the pelvic tilt helps teach this type of bracing.

-Avoid extension of the spine or rounding of the shoulders.

Foundational

Pelvic Tilts

Birdogs

Unweighted glute bridges

Full Planks

Intermediate

Russian twists (weighted as an option)

Flutter kicks

Hanging crunches

Forearm planks or side planks

Experienced

Hanging leg raises

TRX planks (feet in straps)

Cable crunches (weighted)

Ab wheel rollouts

• Like 6

Aight getting the ball rolling here! On top of my decline sit ups, I added the side plank twists from this set and will defo be adding them to the rotation!

What is the time frame on this challenge? I think we are in Week 2 now (I think), is this sitting up part of the mini going on until the end of the week?

Okay, I was unwilling to add another exercise to my increasingly length lifting workout. But I can do them in my TKD warmup while the others are jogging and hopping. I shall do planks. 

ETA I did planks. Okay, only 2, then the class started. But I thought of this challenge when I did them, so. At least I am better at planks now than when I last tried them. Reckon those heavy squats are helping. 

• Like 2

Tried out some birdogs: 3x10 each side. They weren't too demanding so I tossed in 3x 20 second RKC planks. Hopefully my intense breathing and shaking didn't spook anyone at the gym.

• Like 2

Yesterday evening I made up the side planks I skipped from the morning's workout, and added 2 more sets. This marks the first time I ever made up skipped core work.

Today I did an extra set (sorta) of something called McGill curl ups. (I say sorta because I was short on time, so I just did more reps. Rx 25, switch legs, 25 more; did 50/50.)

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 11:52 PM, scalyfreak said:

What is the time frame on this challenge? I think we are in Week 2 now (I think), is this sitting up part of the mini going on until the end of the week?

It will last until you're strong enough to get out of the bed. Maybe the end of the week, maybe the end of the challenge - that will be up to the collective you!

On 7/11/2019 at 12:46 PM, Harriet said:

ETA I did planks. Okay, only 2, then the class started. But I thought of this challenge when I did them, so. At least I am better at planks now than when I last tried them. Reckon those heavy squats are helping. 

2 planks are better than none! And they help your heavy squats. (And vice versa)

5 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

This marks the first time I ever made up skipped core work.

My work here is done.  only just beginning!

_____

I added a 3X10 of knee to elbow planks on top of cable crunches. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

As part of the LotR PvP, today I tried 'O' pose. Held for 2 minutes. Also, ow. It looked so easy on paper!

Two challenges with one pose, eh? Cunning. 

• Haha 2

On 7/15/2019 at 7:51 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I wasn't going to do any core work, but in the spirit of the mini, I did some hanging situps (10 on Wednesday, 5 today)

22 hours ago, Harriet said:

Two challenges with one pose, eh? Cunning. 

giphy.gif

You’ve been awake for some time now, and the mental fog (and throbbing behind your eyes) is starting to clear. You remember now… the flames surrounding your cottage and the fields beyond, the screaming of a child, a little girl… yours. Thick hands around your throat, cutting off your air, but they didn’t finish the job.

When you came to there was nothing left but the thin curls of smoke rising from the ashes of your home.

iLCcIaz.png

After what felt like a Herculean task, you’ve managed to sit up on the edge of the bed. Your eyes water and arms shake. Your legs twitch with anticipation and you want to tear across the room, violently pull open the windows and scream to the heavens! But your strength has yet to return. 

You can do this, you reassure yourself firmly, all you have to do is push up off the bed…

Time to get those triceps in action! Give me your dips. All of your dips. Add any version to your regular push or full body workout.

Bar dips

Machine or band assisted dips

Bench dips

Paralette dips.

Weighted dips count twice!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RedStone said:

the screaming of a child, a little girl… yours

Oh, no they din't

Image result for whoopass gif

I did 15 reps of Russian dips and 10 Korean dips today.  If you count the top half of a muscleup, then I also did another 10-15 single bar dips

• Like 2

On 7/17/2019 at 8:17 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Oh, no they din't

Image result for whoopass gif

The GAUL.

On 7/17/2019 at 8:17 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I did 15 reps of Russian dips and 10 Korean dips today.  If you count the top half of a muscleup, then I also did another 10-15 single bar dips

Looks like we found a dip fan!

____

My paralettes are readily available at home so I did a set on the floor and another with feet on the bench. 

I waited to post because I was going to take a picture of a random packet of Fun Dip I have laying around for no reason in particular, but then I forgot :apologetic:.

Anyway on Wednesday I did 3 sets of 5 just regular old dips, for the team. 

• Like 2

Okay... I'm going to try and find something to do dips on at the gym today, somewhere in the forest of equipment trees. Then I'm going to see if I can do one. If they're anything like pull-ups, probably not. If they're about as hard as pushups, then maybe. 

OUCH. I tried both normal dips and bench dips, and they both felt weird. The full dips are a bit too hard for me, and I don't get what I'm supposed to do with my feet. But the bench dips put pressure on my wrists in a way I've been trying to avoid. Then my shoulders joints really hurt when I was trying to do my pull-up negatives. Not sure if this is a coincidence or if it was caused by dips. Probably coincidence, but I think I'm going to leave the dips alone for now.

• Like 2

We're gonna call 4x8 dips as part of my workout my contribution - teeeeeechnically they're in my program, but I haven't gymed in 2.5 weeks, so YOLO I MAKE MY OWN RULES.

• Haha 2