The Rise of Skywalker

So I've been hiding on the Ahch-To island again...
giphy.gif

It's not that I neglected fitness altogether (I actually ran several races and maintained running and strength training continuity), it's just that the exams and family life squeezed out posting on the forum. BUT what also got quite squeezed out is sleeping and devotions at the start of the day (as a consequence of the former). In the last 3 months, only 8 times did I sleep 8h or more (that's less than once for every 10 days) - and the avg sleep time for the same period is 6h 23 min. I thought I could get away with it, but recently I noticed my running performance deteriorating and I feel my energy levels are really low. Time to get myself accountable again.

So I'm officially starting the Quest to Rise with Full Strength with a motto: "One must first lay low in order to rise."
giphy.gif

Though I must maintain my running and strength training continuity and have another race in 6 days (my first swimrun), I won't be bothering with formalizing it as goals (as it already became my habit). Instead, my goals will be radically minimalist:

Subquest 1: go to bed before 23:30, and eyes closed before midnight

-> 2 CON

Subquest 2: start the day with devotions (Scripture study, meditation and prayer)

-> 1 WIS + 1 CHA

P.S. If you want to connect with me on Strava, I'd love to keep up with you guys there too.

• Like 5

Level 4 Padawan

STR 4.75 | DEX 5 | STA 8.5 | CON 4.25 | WIS 4.25 | CHA 2.75

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 , #6, #7 | Battle Log | Epic Quests | STRAVA Profile

! Join the Rebellion (NF Club) On Strava !

>>> On 8/11/2017 started Walking to Mordor, threw the Ring into Mount Doom on 26/5/2019 and now heading back to Hobbiton >>>

'We all long for Eden, and we are constantly glimpsing it: our whole nature is still soaked with the sense of exile.' - J. R. R. Tolkien

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Hey Matt!

welcome back.

so your doing swimming/running races?  I was googling around the other week about triathlons.  what a challenge that seems to be

are you thinking about doing something like that??

Triathlons, if they are long (esp. Ironman) are certainly not easy, and I don't yet plan to do one. I'll be doing a swimrun race near Cambridge. It's a new type of competition, started in 2006 with Swedish ÖTILLÖ, which is swimming and running over 24 Swedish islands with a distance of 75 km (10 of which is swimming). Soon, it was organised into official championship races in other countries, which are 40k (with 8 to 9 km of swimming). The difference between triathlons and swimruns is that in the former you first swim, then ride a bike and finally run, while in the swimrun you just swim and run (no bike), in the same outfit (hence the slogan 'you swim in your shoes and run in your wetsuit') and you make transitions multiple times. E.g., next Sunday in my 10k swimrun race (not part of the ÖTILLÖ championship), of which 1.8k is swimming, I'll have 5 swim and 6 run sections - so I'll go in and out 9 times. Not everyone are keen on that, but I actually prefer it to triathlon as I'm not much of a bike type, while I love swimming and running. The thing I would like to do is aquathlon (first swimming and then running, but no multiple transitions).

However, my dream, when I build up my stamina, is to try one of the 'official' ones, probably ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Hvar, Croatia:

• Like 2

Level 4 Padawan

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 , #6, #7 | Battle Log | Epic Quests | STRAVA Profile

>>> On 8/11/2017 started Walking to Mordor, threw the Ring into Mount Doom on 26/5/2019 and now heading back to Hobbiton >>>

'We all long for Eden, and we are constantly glimpsing it: our whole nature is still soaked with the sense of exile.' - J. R. R. Tolkien

MATTTTT! Dude, so good to see you back, man! Woot Woot! I'm glad you've kept up with your training regime :). I, too, haven't been getting enough sleep lately either. I think I need to rise with you, brother. 

Anywho, glad you're back!

Related image

Wolf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Welcome back! Nice goals. I find that when I start the day with devotions, the rest of the day and my priorities seem to go much smoother.

• Thanks 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

So far so good. Duly went to bed at 23:30 and eyes were closed by midnight. Also, started the day with devotions - short but felt!

Paradoxically, my lethargic feeling seems to have even increased a bit after sleeping 8 hrs for two nights. Maybe my fatigue-tortured body and brain are now thinking: "Wow, he's finally getting some decent sleep. Let's ask him if he can pay off some more sleep debts while he's at it!" :biggrin-new:

• Like 2

Level 4 Padawan

Did core exercises and weight lifting a bit too late yesterday and I was still drying my hair after shower at 23:30.
giphy.gif

But at least my eyes were closed at midnight. Not ideal, but not a total fail.

Had my devotions today again. I would like to have them longer - but one step at a time. We're talking about reordering my long-established daily rhythm here... So far:

Subquest 1: 1.5/20

Subquest 2: 2/20

• Like 2

Level 4 Padawan

Man, I just found out that the right front wheel bearing on my car is nearly done and it can be repaired only next week, and I must drive 75 mi to the swimrun race on Sunday. I so looked forward to this, and then something like this happens... :/ I'll try to either borrow a car from a friend, or simply risk it and try to drive as carefully as possible. It hums pretty much, and the guy at the repair service said he wouldn't go on a trip like that, but maybe it would endure it. Dunno... :/

• Sad 1

Level 4 Padawan

So, I went, and the car didn't broke, thank God! I really enjoyed the race, despite a ton of mishaps:

1. My shoelaces got loose four times (never happened in training) 
2. Couldn't see with my swimming goggles; the fog and tint combined with my short-sightedness meant they were more of a nuisance then help, so swam without them 
3. Couldn't see far without my eyeglasses, obviously missed a turn and got lost AGAIN (ran 2.39k more [didn't track first 660m, hence the figure]) - this will be the last time that I didn't upload a GPX route to my watch; obviously I have too bad sight to rely on signage only 
4. My water-resistant Swimmrunners bag couldn't resist water, and my phone got quite soaked and stopped working, so I couldn't use Google Maps this time to find my way back (here's to hope that rice will drain moisture from the phone)

Even with those 12.39k of Murphy's law racing, I still managed to be 37th. Without that, my time (according to the pace of 8:34) would be 1:25:40, and I would have been 10th (without stopping to ask for a way, and tying shoes 4x, I suppose it would have been even better). :/

A shame, but overall, I'm happy with the experience, learned what to do and not to do on a swimrun race, and am looking forward to the next one.

P.S. If you want a good laugh, here is the replay of me getting lost (the fun starts at 4.5 miles). :)) https://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#2531020722?c=gcrc8953&z=E&t=1TAjHd

IMG-9ee9b98fe1a470dfac97d6f5c8c328f6-V.thumb.jpg.0512fde392c23762db6f71fa839ebe6c.jpgIMG-aa79763b9381e917390e9aa3dc356f02-V.thumb.jpg.d4ef3600b66d0fb3badee2d9ab5a1cc1.jpgIMG_20190714_131044.thumb.jpg.6e88a5b7ec47680edd4179e1e77f12d3.jpgresults.png.45265949aadd75348da44ee50931c25f.png

• Like 5

Level 4 Padawan

As for the state of my 4WC goals:

Subquest 1: 4.5/20

Subquest 2: 5/20

I noticed when I didn't sleep enough on Thursday night (after 2pm) that it was harder for me to stay calm, and easier to get irritated when annoying things happened. Scary thing is that this is how I functioned for months. This realization definitely helps me to stay focused on the goal. I want to be a much better version of me.

• Like 2

Level 4 Padawan

WOOT!

I saw you that on strava too! it was a great really well down race.  with the flyby I saw the mixup.  that was unfortunate.

but Still ; as you say, you've learned and can zero in on the proper technique.

I don't have lots of experiences of races... but I've done my big Hiking challenge 4 times!  I only got to the very furthest 100miles this year.

last year particularly, I DNF'd it.

so I very familiar with having things happen that did NOT happen in training; and that will done better the next time.

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Way to go about being aware of how lack of sleep affects you. I find I am so much better at keeping goals when I pay attention to how much choices affect me

• Like 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Thanks, @Salinger, @TGP and @Elastigirl! :) 

On 7/15/2019 at 1:48 PM, TGP said:

WOOT!

I saw you that on strava too! it was a great really well down race.  with the flyby I saw the mixup.  that was unfortunate.

but Still ; as you say, you've learned and can zero in on the proper technique.

I don't have lots of experiences of races... but I've done my big Hiking challenge 4 times!  I only got to the very furthest 100miles this year.

last year particularly, I DNF'd it.

so I very familiar with having things happen that did NOT happen in training; and that will done better the next time.

Yeah well, it's not so difficult to DNF 100 miles. :D Really, it's amazing hiking such distances. I'm still trying to decide whether to go on a 50 km walking race or not, lol. I'm afraid of my obviously bad orienteering skills. :ambivalence:

• Like 3

Level 4 Padawan

1 hour ago, MattSkywalker said:

Thanks, @Salinger, @TGP and @Elastigirl! :) 

Yeah well, it's not so difficult to DNF 100 miles. :D Really, it's amazing hiking such distances. I'm still trying to decide whether to go on a 50 km walking race or not, lol. I'm afraid of my obviously bad orienteering skills. :ambivalence:

actually, yeah.  the whole getting LOST was a HUGE part of that challenge!

just to explain; keep in mind that I walked every segment of the whole 100 mile trail for training and many places; twice!

in one of trainings we got pretty lost going around a huge mudpuddle that made something of an small impassable swamp.  In another we ended up getting to peice of the trail that had was rerouted and ended up briefly walking the wrong way.

but after all that I was Sure we know the trail well enough, by the time of the A100 to avoid these kinds of problems.  and so it seemed!

until the last 10miles.

at the end I was really tired having been up like 2 whole days strait.  I was seeing stuff that wasn't there and loopy, hot and beyond exhaustion.  I got lost Again but had the good luck to run into one of the most knowledgeable hikers of the trial.

this guy really did know every part of the trail like the back of his hand.  he got me turned around then took a break.

I was still pretty turned around and moving DOWN the trail I tried arguing with that guys that HE was turned around (walking in the wrong direction)

:uncomfortableness:

anyways, after I humiliated myself some- I went ownwardsy and found that ofc he was utterly right.  no more problems.  (does this mean I was Lost twice or just Twice as lost as normal!?)

----

so "YES"

its very important to work on navigation if one wants to do the "A100 walking challenge"

but still, people who have NEVER seen the trail  ,provided they are trained and familair with their electronics, DO in fact walk the A100.  In fact, there's more people that drive in and complete it than locals.

• Like 2

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

5 hours ago, TGP said:

actually, yeah.  the whole getting LOST was a HUGE part of that challenge!

just to explain; keep in mind that I walked every segment of the whole 100 mile trail for training and many places; twice!

in one of trainings we got pretty lost going around a huge mudpuddle that made something of an small impassable swamp.  In another we ended up getting to peice of the trail that had was rerouted and ended up briefly walking the wrong way.

but after all that I was Sure we know the trail well enough, by the time of the A100 to avoid these kinds of problems.  and so it seemed!

until the last 10miles.

at the end I was really tired having been up like 2 whole days strait.  I was seeing stuff that wasn't there and loopy, hot and beyond exhaustion.  I got lost Again but had the good luck to run into one of the most knowledgeable hikers of the trial.

this guy really did know every part of the trail like the back of his hand.  he got me turned around then took a break.

I was still pretty turned around and moving DOWN the trail I tried arguing with that guys that HE was turned around (walking in the wrong direction)

:uncomfortableness:

anyways, after I humiliated myself some- I went ownwardsy and found that ofc he was utterly right.  no more problems.  (does this mean I was Lost twice or just Twice as lost as normal!?)

----

so "YES"

its very important to work on navigation if one wants to do the "A100 walking challenge"

but still, people who have NEVER seen the trail  ,provided they are trained and familair with their electronics, DO in fact walk the A100.  In fact, there's more people that drive in and complete it than locals.

Oh wow... If that happened to YOU after walking the whole trail 2x, I would have surely ended in another state at best, and probably dead from dehydration. :X Dunno, orienteering and navigation skills are something I have to work a lot on.

• Like 1

Level 4 Padawan

7 hours ago, Salinger said:

How you today Matt?xx

Thanks for asking, Salinger! Not quite as good regarding my 4WC. I'm having a relapse into my old pre-bedtime habits (too much screen time). The situation doesn't look brilliant (stalled at 4.5x for sleeping on time):

Subquest 1 (sleeping): 4.5/20

Subquest 2 (devotions): 7/20

• Like 1

Level 4 Padawan

Somehow I found motivation to not go over the top last night, as I remembered that I won't be able to run normally today evening if I was too tired. Wasn't in bed by 23:30, but at least I was there at midnight with closed eyes.

Subquest 1 (sleeping): 5/20

Subquest 2 (devotions): 7.5/20

• Like 1

Level 4 Padawan

1 hour ago, Maigs said:

Welcome back! And nice work on the swimrun

Thanks, Maigs!

21 minutes ago, Xena said:

So cool that you did a swimrun!! I think I learned about it for the first time on one of your threads a long time ago (It was definitely a NF thread).

Thanks, Xena!

Hm, I doubt it was me who brought it up earlier, as I only learned about it this year. :D

If it was indeed on NF, I want to meet that rebel! I don't know many people interested in it, as it's a new discipline (some 13 years have passed since its inception).

Level 4 Padawan