• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Exylem

Muay Thai and strenght training

Hey everyone,

So, I have started to go to a gym near my house, after months of no exercise.

I don't have a job right now (sadly), so I have lots of free time. Therefore, my initial plan is to go to Muay Thai classes 2 days a week (Tuesday and Thursday), and do some strenght training in the gym machines on the rest of the weekdays (Monday, Wednesday and Friday), while resting on Sunday and Saturday.

The Muay Thai classes on the other days of the week are way too late on the night, so I'm not really planning to do more than 2 times a week. And, of course, I intend to change my exercises on the strenght training, to let my body parts rest (for instance, the instructor started with some arms exercises, and I think I'll work on my legs tomorrow).

Any ideas? Is this too much? Could it work?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I do 90 minutes of taekwondo three days per week, and also lift heavy three days a week - full body, compound exercises, with the goal of getting as strong as possible at the deadlift/squat/bench. I had heard that adding other sports could slow down my lifting gains, but they've continued pretty much the same. I was basically totally sedentary for many years until recently, so I am not extraordinarily fit or anything, just normal. I did a bit more than a year of lifting before starting the taekwondo, so it wasn't as much of a shock as it would be to start both at once.  Also, I'm an average-sized, female, beginner-intermediate lifter, so my heaviest lifts are still not that huge (currently 185/145/100lb) and they're therefore easier to recover from. If you're a large/strong/advanced/male lifter you might not recover so quickly. But if you feel pretty well recovered on your rest days, why not give it a try? Can you do some free trial classes or sign up for a shorter period to see if it works for you? 

It looks workable from here. Eat good food and sleep as much as you can. I'm not a big believer in being overworked but I'm all too convinced that under-recovery is a thing.

That reflex to adjust training based on what MT does to you seems wise; however, in the name of consistency I'd advise you to focus on lifting less weight on certain days rather than just training the un-worked muscles. If the coach gets a hair and you suddenly wind up doing one thing for a month, you could be leaving some strength progress on the table, and you'd really rather not do that if you could help it.