Return of Jon, to Destroy more Mice

Hey guys, I'm hopping back in halfway through a challenge. Don't hate me for it. Or do. Your choice.

Brief life update: I know I've done this a few times now, where I "come back because life is more reasonable and I have the time to do so". Those were typically lies. I had gotten into a bad situation with my degree, and I was under constant pressure and attack from my advisor, to the point where everything else was getting swallowed up: time with family, time with my relationship, even time to physically take care of myself. I am thankfully out of that situation now. I left with my master, and I've started the pursuit of my PhDizzle anew, in a better lab, with better colleagues and a much better, more reasonable mentor. The point here is, life is still busy, it always will be, but I do have the time and resources to check in more frequently now, and I have the system of people around me who support me and aren't trying to leech everything they can out of me. So I'm back.

Given that I'm only here for half of this challenge, I'm going to try and keep it pretty simple. Too simple hopefully. We have TWO GOALS here:

1) Contribute Damn It, not only to this thread but also others. Check in, join discussions, and not be the lurky asshole I usually am.

2) Read Read Read. Again, I started in a new life lab and need to catch up on them readings. Three papers a day during the work week, minimum. I might record small facts/topics I've consumed to this thread, just to keep myself honest. 

3) I lied. I have Three, THREE GOALS here: Come up with a set of goals for next challenge. I am going to try not to focus any on lifting, even if I do focus one of them on physical health. Lifting isn't a goal anymore. I do it. It's just there.

Thanks for understanding guys, and I really am looking forward to being around on this thread more. I've missed the community aspect here.

• Like 2

YOOOO, welcome back! I had friends go through the bad advisor sitch while going for their PhD's and it sounds truly awful - like having a bad boss but even worse because of how all-consuming the PhD process is supposed to be. Glad you were able to transfer to a different lab, and fingers crossed this one works out better!

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

On 7/18/2019 at 12:20 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

YOOOO, welcome back! I had friends go through the bad advisor sitch while going for their PhD's and it sounds truly awful - like having a bad boss but even worse because of how all-consuming the PhD process is supposed to be. Glad you were able to transfer to a different lab, and fingers crossed this one works out better!

Dude, you've hit the nail on the head. It was rough. The backlash has been minor, petty things though, so that's easy to deal with.

New lab is way better, and its frankly a more interesting topic. I'm pretty pumped about getting to start over, and I've enjoyed learning as much as I have in the past three months here.

On 7/18/2019 at 1:27 PM, JustCallMeAmber said:

giphy.gif

Welcome back to the Warriors!

Oh hey! Thanks!

On 7/19/2019 at 7:50 AM, Deckard Gainz said:

Thank God. The mice were getting out of control around here.

Image result for Mouse army gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Goal 1: Contribute 

So this counts right? Rough weekend for reliable internet access: I was staying with my folks because my brakes went out, but they had an open house so internet access was kinda a myth. Hoping to try harder this week.

Goal 2: Read Read Read 

So far I'm averaging 2.5 papers a day while on this challenge, which is neat. For instance, read one Friday musing about glycolysis and whether it's actually meant primarily as a bioenergetic pathway or as a survival pathway with bioenergetic consequences, or one today about how brain ketone utilization is much higher in the developing brain than the adult brain, and that ketogenic diets/supplementation tend to help healing in brain injury. Neat stuffs.

Goal 3: Have Goals 

So I've thought about this some for the next challenge. Again, I don't want to have a fitness goal of "Workout 4 times a week" or "Do your assistance" because I already do that. I think "Stretch for 10 minutes after every lifting session" or "5-15 minutes of cardio/conditioning 2-3 times a week" might be good ones. They're definitely things I need to do but am bad about, I just don't know which one is more important for right now. 

I also want one of the goals to be "make a plan for the 9 weeks leading up to the contest in November". This kinda has to come in parts, starting with "identify weak points in your strongman game", moving to "identify ways to train those weakpoints", and culminating in "organize these to ensure continued progress with strengths and peak for November". First part is easy: my grip sucks, my deadlift needs improving, and I need to be smoother at picking an object. That last one is easy: practice, but those first two? Oof. I've seen minimal deadlift progress in the past year, and I've never really focused on grip. Insight on those would definitely be welcome as I start pulling things together.

Also, non-challenge goal reflection: This weekend was hard. In addition to losing my brakes, I've not really been able to talk to my girlfriend and my family is moving an additional 8 hours away. I went into the gym distracted yesterday and hit a new 3RM on squat for a 3/3, but couldn't find myself excited for it, only disappointed in how one rep felt, or how the walking lunges after felt. I got really down on myself about lifting and whether there was really any purpose in pushing as hard as I do, because I'll never by at the same level as my idols. My girlfriend was able to put a lot of this is perspective for me: the communities I'm a part of at my gym, or in local strongman, or here, or on reddit? They aren't the rest of the world. A deadlift in the mid 5s might not be huge to people my size that compete or that have been lifting for years, but very few people outside of those circles can seriously imagine the weights we handle on a daily basis. It's pretty cool being healthy enough to move the way I do, and then have the desire to move that way with extraneous weight. And I'm still happy I picked this up.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Jon, Destroyer of Mice said:

I got really down on myself about lifting and whether there was really any purpose in pushing as hard as I do, because I'll never by at the same level as my idols. My girlfriend was able to put a lot of this is perspective for me: the communities I'm a part of at my gym, or in local strongman, or here, or on reddit? They aren't the rest of the world. A deadlift in the mid 5s might not be huge to people my size that compete or that have been lifting for years, but very few people outside of those circles can seriously imagine the weights we handle on a daily basis. It's pretty cool being healthy enough to move the way I do, and then have the desire to move that way with extraneous weight. And I'm still happy I picked this up.

...Sigh. There's always someone stronger. It was the article on Spezzy that originally made me think about lifting... you know, the one in which she manages a 315lb deadlift after about 6 months of lifting. Of course, after 1 year and a half of lifting I'm now wondering if I'll EVER lift that much, so yeah. Mid 5s sounds pretty awesome to me. But I expect you have your eyes on someone even stronger. The question is, is there some way to maintain that hunger but set it to the side a little, and switch one's everyday focus to enjoying the process patiently? If there is, I'd like to learn it.

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

18 hours ago, Jon, Destroyer of Mice said:

I think "Stretch for 10 minutes after every lifting session" or "5-15 minutes of cardio/conditioning 2-3 times a week" might be good ones. They're definitely things I need to do but am bad about, I just don't know which one is more important for right now. 

If you aren't sure which one is more important, maybe pick the one that's easier for you to do consistently?

18 hours ago, Jon, Destroyer of Mice said:

Also, non-challenge goal reflection: This weekend was hard. In addition to losing my brakes, I've not really been able to talk to my girlfriend and my family is moving an additional 8 hours away. I went into the gym distracted yesterday and hit a new 3RM on squat for a 3/3, but couldn't find myself excited for it, only disappointed in how one rep felt, or how the walking lunges after felt. I got really down on myself about lifting and whether there was really any purpose in pushing as hard as I do, because I'll never by at the same level as my idols. My girlfriend was able to put a lot of this is perspective for me: the communities I'm a part of at my gym, or in local strongman, or here, or on reddit? They aren't the rest of the world. A deadlift in the mid 5s might not be huge to people my size that compete or that have been lifting for years, but very few people outside of those circles can seriously imagine the weights we handle on a daily basis. It's pretty cool being healthy enough to move the way I do, and then have the desire to move that way with extraneous weight. And I'm still happy I picked this up.

Your GF sounds very wise indeed. It's easy to compare numbers side by side, but it is not so easy to compare the journey to get there. Congrats on your PR :)

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

...Sigh. There's always someone stronger. It was the article on Spezzy that originally made me think about lifting... you know, the one in which she manages a 315lb deadlift after about 6 months of lifting. Of course, after 1 year and a half of lifting I'm now wondering if I'll EVER lift that much, so yeah. Mid 5s sounds pretty awesome to me. But I expect you have your eyes on someone even stronger. The question is, is there some way to maintain that hunger but set it to the side a little, and switch one's everyday focus to enjoying the process patiently? If there is, I'd like to learn it.

My very humble suggestion? Disengage. Celebrate other's achievements. Don't let it affect yours. PRs are a thing to be celebrated not because they are these world-record levels of epicness but because they are personal, YOUR levels of epicness. It took Steve 10 YEARS to reach a 400lb+ deadlift. Everybody's journey is different.

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

The question is, is there some way to maintain that hunger but set it to the side a little, and switch one's everyday focus to enjoying the process patiently? If there is, I'd like to learn it.

I don't think there's a switch. You just get better at it the same way you got better at lifting; practice. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We will never see the best version of ourselves inside our comfort zone

23 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

My very humble suggestion? Disengage. Celebrate other's achievements. Don't let it affect yours. PRs are a thing to be celebrated not because they are these world-record levels of epicness but because they are personal, YOUR levels of epicness. It took Steve 10 YEARS to reach a 400lb+ deadlift. Everybody's journey is different.

I don't think there's a switch. You just get better at it the same way you got better at lifting; practice. :)

Wise Amber is indeed wise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

On 7/23/2019 at 10:41 AM, JustCallMeAmber said:

My very humble suggestion? Disengage. Celebrate other's achievements. Don't let it affect yours.

I agree to a point... I look at other people to be inspired, and to know what's possible. I probably wouldn't have started lifting if I hadn't been wowed by Spezzy's achievements first. And I like to set realistic standards for myself so I know where I'm at. So I don't think comparison is all bad. Alain de Botton says a little bit of envy is a good thing because it forces you to evaluate what it is you want and gives a hint as to the direction. But obviously since life rolled me as a human sorcerer with STR 9 instead of a half-orc barbarian with STR 19, I may have to adjust my standards of excellence in order to find that happy mix of contentment and ambition. 

ETA it's so friggin inspiring that Steve hit 400lb after ten years... everything you read says gains get slower until they pretty much disappear, that we have some genetic ceiling (which might sadly be lower for some)... but if you can still make gains at ten years, that's awesome. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.