• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
prefect42

Prefect42's Challenge: Back In The Habit

Please, god, someone tell me that you get that reference and I will love you forever.

Quick reposting of goals from the initial thread:

Race: Half-gnome (5'8", ~149-150lbs)

Ideal Profession: Ranger, though right now my routine is looking decidedly Warriorish.

Goal 1: Keep up with Stronglifts, lifting 3 days a week.

Goal 2: Maintain daily calories in 3500-3800 range, protein in 180-240g range.

Goal 3: Do pilates or yoga once a week.

Goal 4: Get organized and prepared for my move in late November, early December.

And what the hell, I'll take the facebook plunge; my profile's here. If you want to add me, tell me your NF name so I know who you are!

Today's Workout

Squats: 2x5x45lbs; 5x5x95lbs

Overhead Press: 5x5x65lbs

Deadlift: 1x5x115lbs

Pull-ups: 5x2 normal; then 1x4 close grip

Planks: 3x60 sec.

Felt good to be back in the gym today, even if I am freaking tired from the 545am wakeup call. I think I am about to hit a wall big-time on the overhead press in my next workout. I struggled a decent amount with the last couple of reps in my last two sets. On the plus side, that 5x2 on the pull-ups is a big jump from last time when I could only muster 3x2 with an extra one afterwards. Woo!

Diet-wise, should be on track for my targets today.

I think my general plan is going to be to try to do yoga on the weekends, but I'll be away this weekend so I will try to fit it in Tuesday or Thursday.

Today was sort of a long day and I've been doing non-stop since I woke up and I frankly just don't have the energy to deal with apartment/moving stuff today. I need to make some definite progress on that this week though so I will try to get my act together for tomorrow or Wednesday.

...Sister Act 2?

That sounds like something I watched with my family when we all you used to hang out and watch movies on weekends.

If I'm wrong, I'm gonna be embarrassed. :lol:

im jealous of your pullups. :)

and i find yoga seems to help me the most at night, though i have the least amount of motivation to do it then :)

and sister act 2? really?? i havent seen that movie since i was 10!

and sister act 2? really?? i havent seen that movie since i was 10!

oh come on, it's a classic!

Rest day yesterday. Good god were (and are) my legs sore. I'm not sure I've ever felt this level of soreness before. I think people are looking at me a little funny at work because every time I get up after sitting for awhile I hobble a bit because my hamstrings just say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. On the plus side, the fact that it's my hamstrings and not "oh my god my back is broken" tells me that my deadlift form can't be all that bad.

Today's Workout

Squats: 1x5x65lbs; 5x5x100lbs (woohoo, arbitrary 3-digit weight milestone!)

Bench press: 1x5x65lbs; 5x5x95lbs

Inverted "rows": 2x8; 1x5

Chin-ups: 5x3 (was shooting for 4x4, but no dice today)

Still referring to these as "rows" since I'm still struggling with the bar to the chest thing. Getting more frustrated by this. I've been saying I need to sit down and do a little research, but haven't yet, so that's still on the list.

Came in a little low calorie-wise yesterday--should hopefully be able to rectify that over the next day or two.

Still procrastinating a little bit on apartment/move stuff, though on the other hand, it's mostly things that will be quick and only really need to be done the week or so before I move. My biggest issue right now is just picking the actual move-in day and deciding whether or not to hire movers. I really don't have a lot of stuff (the only furniture I will be moving is my mattress, bed frame, and a nightstand), but it's possible I may end up moving on a Monday which means I will have 0% chance of coercing friends to help (as opposed to just a 1% chance otherwise). Plus, I figure since there's not a lot of stuff, with movers the whole process would take like 2 hours. Obviously need to decide soon and hire someone if I'm going to go that route. Any thoughts?

Still referring to these as "rows" since I'm still struggling with the bar to the chest thing. Getting more frustrated by this. I've been saying I need to sit down and do a little research, but haven't yet, so that's still on the list.

I wouldn't worry so much about getting your chest to actually touch the bar. You may not be bio-mechanically put together for it, with nothing to do with actual strength. Rather, focus on your back itself. Think about getting a good hard squeeze in your lats, and holding it for a second. Imagine a walnut or something getting pressed between your shoulder blades. Now crack it!

I think focusing on what your lats are doing will be of greater benefit to you. You can do chinups, and your other numbers are going up steadily, so I don't think it's a matter of strength. Pull to the point that you can really feel your back doing its thing, and hold it for a second, and your muscles/strength will move right along.

Keep up the good work!

Today's Workout

Squats: 1x5x65lbs; 5x5x100lbs (woohoo, arbitrary 3-digit weight milestone!)

Bench press: 1x5x65lbs; 5x5x95lbs

Inverted "rows": 2x8; 1x5

Chin-ups: 5x3 (was shooting for 4x4, but no dice today)

All milestones are arbitrary, because we make them up :D But well done.

Lucky for you that your working in pounds, or that particular milestone would still be a while

A little late on this, but Sister Act 2! (I promise I knew before reading everyone else's answers!)

Still procrastinating a little bit on apartment/move stuff, though on the other hand, it's mostly things that will be quick and only really need to be done the week or so before I move. My biggest issue right now is just picking the actual move-in day and deciding whether or not to hire movers. I really don't have a lot of stuff (the only furniture I will be moving is my mattress, bed frame, and a nightstand), but it's possible I may end up moving on a Monday which means I will have 0% chance of coercing friends to help (as opposed to just a 1% chance otherwise). Plus, I figure since there's not a lot of stuff, with movers the whole process would take like 2 hours. Obviously need to decide soon and hire someone if I'm going to go that route. Any thoughts?

If you have moving questions, I have moving answers. :D I have moved twice a year for the last four years, and every other year for the six before that. My advice, is do things NOW. It seems like you'll be able to do it the week before, but why not now? It will make it that less stressful when the time comes. As far as hiring movers or not, you only need two people for a mattress, and 1 person for a bed frame (assuming you break it down). Boxes can be done with one person if you're willing to make many trips. So as someone with an adverse reaction to spending money, I say, you can do it yourself. Plus it'll totally count as the workout for that day.

Edit:

Is it weird to edit and quote my own post?

(assuming you break it down)

To clarify, I don't mean hip hop dancing near your bedframe, which is what I immediately pictured.

You may not be bio-mechanically put together for it, with nothing to do with actual strength. Rather, focus on your back itself. Think about getting a good hard squeeze in your lats, and holding it for a second.

Yeah, unfortunately, I am not bio-mechanically put together for lots of things. :) This is pretty much what I've been doing, so hopefully it's still giving my back a workout. It just must look sort of silly is all.

(assuming you break it down)

To clarify, I don't mean hip hop dancing near your bedframe, which is what I immediately pictured.
Can't it be both? :D I think you may have more or less convinced me to go with trying to do it myself. We'll see though. I'll still need to rent a van or something for moving the mattress and enlist someone to help out for part of the day. I'm not going to worry about it too much. I can also be sort of flexible about the move since I will actually still be paying for my half of the first apartment through at least December (bleh). But it means I can always decide to move a little later than planned if I am falling behind with stuff.

Today's Workout

Squats: 65lbs: 2x5; 105lbs: 5x5

Overhead Press: 70lbs: 5, 5, 5, 4, 3

Deadlifts: 120lbs: 1x5

Pull-ups: 2, 2, 2, 1 (was shooting for at least 5x2)

Planks: 3 x 60sec.

Not my best day. I could tell on Monday that my OPs were not going to be a huge success today. Just totally hit my limit at the end there. And maybe it was because my arms/shoulders were already exhausted from that, but I couldn't get in another pull-up after that fourth round. Frankly, I know my biggest problem now in terms of my workout is rest. I just have not been getting enough sleep the last couple of weeks with everything that's been going on. I'm sure (at least I am hoping) that's partially why I've started to hit a wall on some of the lifts.

It's funny. I can be disciplined and force myself to get out of bed at 545 even if I'm exhausted, but I apparently can't force myself to go to bed earlier so that I don't feel exhausted in the first place. Hopefully the holiday next week will help--wooooo food comas.

Headed to NYC again this weekend to see a bunch of friends (also, Harry Potter!), which will be a great reward for this week. Hope everyone has a good one!

So, weekend was great, but has left me very tired today. Woke up at 5:45am and felt totally dead (moreso than usual) and decided that I need to break myself out of this pattern of crappy sleep and gave myself the extra 1.5 hours to rest. Not exactly regretting it at this point, though I do wish I could've made it to the gym this morning. This week is already going to be thrown off since I'll be traveling for the holiday and not going to be able to lift weights like I normally would on Friday. Oh well.

I'm thinking I might try to substitute an hour of yoga in tonight. Though I also need to do all kinds of grocery shopping and moving prep. Blarghy mcblarg. Probably not going to be my strongest Challenge showing this time around, but at this point, I am just hoping to come out the other side in my new place and relatively sane.

So, I made it to the gym last night after all. I realized that even though I might prefer to go to the gym before work, there is no good reason why I couldn't go at night. Previously, I would've shied away from it since it would be much more crowded and honestly, the fact that it's quiet in the morning is fully half of the reason why I go then. But I forced myself to go last night and keep my lifting on track. (Also, for the record, I was totally right: the meathead population was much, much larger.)

I'm going to count that as half of the weekly bonus goal. Since I started lifting in the gym last month, I'd never gone after work since my self-consciousness rises in direct proportion to the number of people at the gym. So this was a newish thing for me.

Yesterday's Workout

Squats: 1x10 bodyweight; 2x5x65lbs; 5x5x110lbs

Bench press: 1x5x45lbs; 5x5x100lbs

Inverted rows: 2x8; 1x5

Chin-ups: 3, 2, 3, 2, 2 (12 total)

Squats are definitely getting harder, but haven't stalled yet. Same with the bench. Might want to stay at the 100lb level for at least another week since it was a little shaky towards the end, and I would prefer not to die (either from being crushed by the bar, or from embarrassment as the plates slide off and crash on the ground). We'll see. Still pushing for that 4x4 level in my chin-ups, but I have yet to be able to pull out 4 in the first set. I'm thinking I might swap my pull-up and chin-up days at some point just as a test. I think the rows --> chin-ups segue is not helping me out there.

Made a small dent in moving related stuff yesterday, and hoping to knock some big things off the list today. Already planning some yoga and/or pilates for my Friday workout. I'm sure I'll be able to use some bendiness after all of the eating Thursday.

excellent job on going to the gym when it's crowded! I'm a bit leery of that myself (yay for stealing roommates weights at home!), so I applaud you. You're getting up there in the rows, too! They're so much harder than they seem like they should be.

dont worry about what other people think, just remember that most other people feel the same way you do!

you're seriously kicking ass with the weights.

also, re: being afraid of the plates sliding off, are you using clamps?

You're getting up there in the rows, too! They're so much harder than they seem like they should be.

Uh, yeah, what is up with that? Even on the first set, by the 5th one, I'm like, "Ugh, really?"

also, re: being afraid of the plates sliding off, are you using clamps?

I'm actually not using clamps, though I thought that was the "correct" thing to do in my case. I don't have a spotter or anything, so if my arms totally fail and I can't get the bar off of my chest, I'll have to angle it so the weight slides off. Or wait for the meathead rescue squad, but they might need to finish those extra 20 bicep curls in the squat cage, by which time I might be dead. :D

Thanks for the support. I think I am at the point where I don't really care what anyone else thinks, but I still have to tell that to myself over and over again--it's not automatic yet.

Today's Workout

Squats: 10 bodyweight; 1x3x65; 1x3x85; 5x5x115

Overhead press: 5x5x70lbs

Deadlifts: 1x5x125lbs

Pull-ups: 5x2 normal; 3 close grip

I've been slacking a bit on my core work, mostly because I've been running out of time at the end of my workouts. But that's what pilates this Friday is for! The day after Thanksgiving...that should be interesting.

The holiday timing is probably good, though. My inner hip/groin was absolutely killing me during my squats and it's still not especially happy at the moment, so might be good to give it a little extra time.

Hoping to finalize my move date today, book the moving co., get things settled with the electric company (unfortunately, not that one, and just maybe schedule the cable company to set me up with TV/internet. Would be great to cross all that off today, so fingers crossed.

Pilates the day after thanksgiving? You must hate yourself, but on the plus side, if you're too full to get up it's the ideal excercise for laying down and sitting. Regardless, I approve!

Hmm, okay, so I ended up doing pilates on Saturday instead. The day after Thanksgiving was sort of a non-starter. :) But man, my conditioning has gone to hell. I used to be able to get through the whole video more or less without stopping and this time, I had to take breaks in the middle of almost each exercise. My core just ain't what it used to be, apparently.

In the home stretch of moving chaos right now. Starting to get a bit of a knot in my stomach just thinking about everything, though really I think most of that is all the emotional junk wrapped up with this whole process. On the plus side, movers are hired, utilities are set up, cable guy is coming on Thursday, and I just got back from buying a new TV, cookware, silverware, pillows, and knives--yeah, I wasn't joking when I said I own basically nothing in my current place.

Taking the next two days off work: tomorrow, to pack, and Tuesday, to actually move. Going to be a pretty crazy 48 hours. I still want to hit the gym tomorrow morning to keep on track, but I noticed this morning that my inner thighs are still feeling that same twinge of pain that was REALLY strong last Wednesday. I can't tell if it's just regular soreness or if it's borderline injury that I should give more time to rest. We'll see. Not going to beat myself up if I miss tomorrow. Moving goal takes priority #1 for the next few days.

I also just wanted to say that even though I haven't been a prolific poster this go around, I have been trying to keep up with reading everyone's threads and, as usual, am really impressed. Keep up the good work, nerds.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're back. Thanks for the positive thoughts everyone. The move is done, there are still boxes everywhere, and I still have nowhere to sit other than my bed. BUT, I am settled at least. Cable guy was out yesterday and predictably, it was a disaster, so presumably he will be back at my apartment after work today. Here's hoping I'll have my precious internets back soon.

Time for a total goal update!

Today was my first (and probably only) workout of the week because of everything going on with the move.

Squats: 10 bodyweight; 1x5x45lbs; 1x5x65lbs; 1x5x95lbs; 5x5x120lbs

Bench Press: 1x5x45lbs; 5x5x100lbs

Inverted Rows: 2x8; 1x5

Chin-ups: 1x4 (!); 4x3 (16 total)

Reverse Crunches: 3x25

I wonder if I overdid the squat warmups because my quads were really tired by the last couple of sets and my form definitely suffered because of it. Could just be that I am starting to max out. Either way, might stick with that weight for another session and see how it goes. Bench is still shaky, too, so I'll give that another go at 100 next time.

On the plus side, woo a set of 4 chin-ups! Unfortunately, I couldn't keep up that pace, but still, I think 16 in one gym session is a new max, and frankly, it's about time.

The diet has been pretty wonky the last week due to Thanksgiving, being away from home, and then moving. But I went food shopping Wednesday night and got lots of meat, eggs, cold cuts, avocado, coconut milk, sunflower seeds--it's sort of paleo heaven in my kitchen. (Just overlook the milk and cheese and the beer....and the egg nog. I'm sorry, I can't say no to egg nog.) Also, my weight has bumped up to somewhere in the 152-154 range, which is easily a 10 pound gain over the last month and a half or so, I think. Really looking forward to getting some running back into my diet though, so I can burn away the fat cells that have hitched a ride with their muscly friends.

Planning on doing yoga tomorrow at some point. Really looking forward to it. I feel like I haven't had much time to be inside my own head without distractions for awhile.

Goal 4 is DONE. The move went well (hiring movers = the best. decision. ever.) and now it's just a matter of finishing unpacking and buying furniture. Going to slow play that last part, but thankfully there's an Ikea in town. Inexpensive, particle board, assemble it yourself furniture FTW! The relationship part of the move is also seemingly going okay. We had lunch with friends today and I think everyone had a good time. Emotions are complicated things.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Is it really possible that there's only a week or so left in this Challenge? This one is completely flying by.

Sign in to follow this