Getting fit for fun and profit (or trucks are big and I have to fix them)

Howdy folks. Been reading NF articles for a couple of years now and I finally decided to jump in. I'm a 34 year old diesel technician that changed careers at 29. I was a butcher for 9 years previously and stayed fit and active during that time. Since I became a tech I've been back sliding. It's gotten worse as I've become more experienced because I spend most of my time doing diagnostic tests instead of heavy work.

A couple weeks back I was doing a turbo on an ISX and it absolutely wrecked me. Considering I used to throw that kind of weight around for 40 hours a week without difficulty it was a wakeup call. Too much beer and not enough exercise on my days off hasn't helped either. 

I set up a weight bench in my garage last week and was shocked that I was only lifting half of what I used to. I want to get back to where I was when at 28, work off the gut, and be able to actually run a mile again. My job requires strength, flexibility, and endurance. I know if I keep going the way I was I'll be breaking down a lot sooner than I should.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Thewumpus said:

Howdy folks. Been reading NF articles for a couple of years now and I finally decided to jump in.

Welcome! It's very convenient that you have a bench in your garage. Sounds like you're going to do a mix of running and weights? Seems like a plan. Good luck! 

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Much like with cars and trucks, regular maintenance on your own body will help prevent those breakdowns. It's not unusual to start out lifting much less than the last time you were lifting regularly, but hopefully you've retained some of that muscle memory and should be able to build back up quickly. If you've gained weight, you probably haven't lost a ton of muscle. It's probably mostly all still there, just gotta wake it back up and get it moving again. Welcome to the forums!

• Like 1

Stay awhile... we're liftin'

Welcome!

Just go slow and steady. Lift a bit, run a bit. A very common thing I see is people injuring themselves because they try to get to where they were too quickly. (I am very guilty of this.) You have to remember that the person you were years ago is not the person you are now; literally--our cells replace themselves every day. You should train present you appropriately. Future you will be thankful.

Thank you for the welcome. I've actually had to drop my weight for bench, clean, and press because my form was suffering but that's okay. I'll work back up to it slowly. On the plus side I'm up 40 pounds on deadlifts and squats in the past couple weeks by adding 5-10 lbs per exercise.

• Like 1