Video Game Addiction

Let me cut any blows by saying I'm not preaching about it, I'm asking for myself. Despite COUNTLESS family members both living with and lost to substance addictions whether drug or alcohol, I've never felt a calling to them and I consider myself incredibly lucky for that. 

However, I strongly believe that I have an addictive relationship with video games which sucks because I truly enjoy them but I have no sense of self control. It's worst with multiplayer FPS games which I just can't play anymore without sliding down the hole but other games that trigger a short rush like Rocket League or Dead By Daylight as examples also seem to hit that button too. 

Ignoring life needs and responsibilities, shuttering away entire days in the pursuit of one more round. Not thinking about the future or finances. Not talking to friends, not going to the park. I've tried detoxing before by going completely without games for periods of time and found my quality of life to skyrocket, and then I'd try to slowly introduce a game, Minecraft here, something simple there, and inevitably I slide back into the hole. I enjoy them and I'd like to be able to play them but I feel like there's this huge green pasture just beyond this fence that I keep building myself to block me in. 

Is anyone else struggling with that and is it possible to find that balance?

You can become a Hero. 

Hi Doaheem,

I've just posted something similar in here, as after not playing videogames for a while, I've came back to relax for a couple of days, and a couple of days have turned into 15 days of intensive gaming.

I'm still working out and taking care of my responsiblities, but I'm not using my time as proactively as I should (reading, learning, etc).

For me it's League of Legends, that game just makes me feel alive like nothing else.

I used to play Starcraf 2, but after a couple of hours I would be mentally exhausted, as the game is super intense and it's like an effort to me (I was playing at Diamond level, not super high but it's already intense enough that you don't stop for a second).

For me, 1 game turns into 15 like nothing, and time is gone just like that.

I can quit completely, but I wonder too if there is a way to transfer this passion to something else.

Hope I'm not derailing your thread, just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one, and although this is not something creating havoc in my life, it's an issue and it's scary to see that you are not controlling it.

Are you an introvert?

I believe this could be a factor, as even when I wasn't playing videogames (3-4 years), I'm not really a very social person. I have a girlfriend and friends, but I'm very selective with who I'm spending my time with (I would stay in reading, watching movies, etc).