Time to take back my life...

Hi all, I’m 45 and have gotten out of exercise for many years.  Work got in the way,  etc.....  I’m ready to get back to lifting and trim down.  I have a Smith machine and bench / dumbbells in my basement.  Any suggestions are very welcome, I really need help with motivation.  I look forward to this journey with y’all. 

• Like 2
On 7/27/2019 at 8:54 AM, TheAllMyTea said:

Hi all, I’m 45 and have gotten out of exercise for many years.  Work got in the way,  etc.....  I’m ready to get back to lifting and trim down.  I have a Smith machine and bench / dumbbells in my basement.  Any suggestions are very welcome, I really need help with motivation.  I look forward to this journey with y’all. 

Hey and welcome! It's great that you've decided to make a start and get fit. For motivation, my best tip is trying a bunch of sports/types of exercise to find out what you really enjoy. I kept trying to do cardio and always gave up because I hated it. Then a friend pushed me to try lifting and I love it... it was so unexpected and I would never have known if I hadn't given it a go. You might be surprised at what you find. Also, the challenges can be a good place to write about your journey and get some encouragement and accountability. 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 8/1/2019 at 12:10 PM, TheAllMyTea said:

I am looking to lose some weight, probably 20 lbs.  and also get in better general shape.  I love playing ice hockey but that’s not practical on a regular basis.  I like lifting weights.  I run but don’t love it.  

Gotcha. I'd start with some basic movements. Get some rocking, rolling, crawling, and get-ups going. Then get your compound moves, hinge, squat, push, pull, that you can eventually load up. After that add some supplemental exercises that involve smaller muscle groups. Then you can add a "finisher" at the end for your work capacity. That's usually the basic template I go with.