I've met some of you monks around the guilds, but a brief intro... I am Brogo, I typically hang out in the warriors or adventurers. I just got done with an 80 day stint of ketogenesis in which I lost 10 lbs., but my motivation to workout has gone flat. So to give myself a reason to run, lift, and stay limber, I'm going to return to martial arts (or at least give it another shot).

In college I studied Shaolin Eagle Claw Kung Fu. I did that for three years and it was the best shape of my life (granted I was in my early 20's). I went from about 260 lbs. down to 210 in the first year. I got stronger, faster, and felt awesome. I was able to to jumping spinning kicks, and could almost do the splits, and new how to lock joints and spar and throw people around. Super fun. Plus, I had a lot of focus, discipline, and mindfulness.

In grad school, when I got back up to 260, I started NF and lifting weights. Since then, it has now been right about 6 years, I'm stronger, but I have not been lower than 244 on the scale, and I struggle with motivating myself to get below 250. Recently on keto I saw 249, but struggled to push below and didn't have the energy to workout. Hopefully, practicing a martial art can motivate me to crush that goal.

Goal 1, Conditioning: I don't move like I used to and I don't have the endurance. So before I settle into a martial art practice/study I need to  get my body moving again.

Daily:

Stretch, Breathe, Meditate: 2x Daily, individually or in combination

Combat: Do one basic stance, strike, or technical  drill 1x Daily

Core: Do one core exercise 1x Daily

Conditioning:

Run: 1x Weekly

Strength Training: Pretty much any other kind of workout 2x Weekly

Goal 2, Find a dojo: I need to pick a new martial art. There is no Eagle Claw Kung Fu here in Indianapolis. Plus, what I'm looking for in a martial art now is different. Kung Fu was great because it was physically demanding, but now I'm more interested in something I can do sustainably for years to come, and something that has more applicability for self-defense, and develops character in a balanced way. Here are a few dojos/martial arts in town I'd like to try:

Jumonkan (Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu, Senso Jujutsu, Kenjutsu, Judo)

Mudokwan (Jiu Jitsu, Aikido, Kendo, Iaido)

MMA (various clubs) (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Kickboxing, etc)

7-star Praying Mantis Kung Fu

That's the short list. I'm going to try Jumonkan on Aug. 7. They offer a free Aikijujutsu class as an intro to their dojo. What I pick will be a balance of money/time/interest/whether or not the teacher is crazy etc.

Goal 3, To-Do List:

Daily: Clean something, Check To-do list

Weekly: Update To-do list/challenge sheet

The Tao of Brogojutsu

(spoilered to remain hidden from  those who would use this haphazardly compiled collection of musings about martial arts practice for evil)

Spoiler

The Tao of Brogojutsu

1:: There is no program, only the goal. Seek the goal with awareness and an open mind and the program will manifest itself to you.

2:: Do at least 20 min of roadwork M-F.

• Like 7

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Ooof!

Stretching, Punching, Kicking, Stancework, and meditation for the day done!

Morning workouts suck. And this stuff is not as easy as where I left off with it 12 years ago. :/

I took the stretch/warmup routine super slow. Basically, the idea is you move each joint in your body in as big of circles and range of motion as you can handle. Going slow is quite a stretch and a workout at the same time. Legs were burning while throwing punches in horse stance. Then I could barely kick above the knee with good form. At some point, the legs were just being lobbed out there. Meditation was super fidgety.

Ate a breakfast of four eggs and a handful of mini peppers with cold cowboy coffee.

• Like 6

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

I'm really torn on morning workouts. On the one hand, good for the brain at later stages of the day to do a workout early. On the other, my body is really not ready for them until I've had time to hydrate and warm up, and that's not a quick warmup (or hydration) process.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

22 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following! 

We're a long way from warriors and rangers now.

10 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

This is a good starting point! Excellent work, sir!

Phew! Checked a few things off, then added a couple more things to the to-do list today.

9 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I'm really torn on morning workouts. On the one hand, good for the brain at later stages of the day to do a workout early. On the other, my body is really not ready for them until I've had time to hydrate and warm up, and that's not a quick warmup (or hydration) process.

I once had a good stint where I stuck to them for a while. I'd get up, chug a cup of coffee, then a pint of water, then eat a piece of fruit, and let that settle in while I walked a few blocks to my gym. But, yeah, caffeine, water, and sugar are needed.

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

I got some mindful breathing work in this evening. Just 5 minutes of seated, meditation, and breathing. I think this exercise was called fractional breathing... no, somehting else. You break each breath into four parts: Inhale, hold, exhale, rest and make them all the same length, tonight probably 5 sec each.

I think I did like one or two mini stretches at work, but I don't remember or feel like I did enough. Tho, while standing in front of the machine today, rather than my usually lazy leaning or slouching on a stool, I stood in high horse stance, and was a lot more mindful of my posture, balance, and weight distribution on my feet. Considering how I normally stand, I'm no longer surprised that my ankles and calves are usually tight in the evening.

I did my grocery shopping, but I forgot the olive oil :/

I got an email from my friend's professional acquaintance who's really well connected around town with people all over biotech here. He said he'd like to meet with me and talk about my skills, experience, and goals, and that he might be able to make some introductions for me. So I'll have to schedule that meeting.

Then tomorrow I have a phone interview with a company about a data analyst position.

I also got an email from the dojo I'm looking at saying I'm welcome to come in this wed. (as opposed to next wed.) I'll sleep on it, I want to make sure I'm good an limber before I get thrown around a dojo.

I had some interesting insights and thoughts about beginning and pursuing this martial arts journey of mine... hence, challenge title change... more on this later.

• Like 5

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I like the title change. I think the breathing term you are looking for might be box breathing.

It's not. It's probably a Chinese word that for all I know means "box breathing", so... Box breathing it is.

------------------------------------------------

I don't know if my alarm didn't go off at 4 am, or if I hit it thinking I hit snooze and dozed off again before I could form a memory of what happened (probably this one) but I'm 1.5 hours behind now. I did my kung fu warmup and some super fidgety meditation while my eggs and bananas cooked in the skillet.

I had planned to go in early because my lunch is going to run long with my phone interview. Now I'm going to have to work late.

• Like 2

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

11 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

I think this exercise was called fractional breathing... no, somehting else. You break each breath into four parts: Inhale, hold, exhale, rest and make them all the same length, tonight probably 5 sec each.

@SheriffWolfpool was into that a few years ago, he may know if it's called something other than box breathing.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Phone interview done. I should hear something by the end of the week. 

• Like 5

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Yup. Already scaling back my goals. I decided to pare down the daily goals to the things that are both manageable to do every day, and that would give me the most benefit right now in what I need right now which is flexibility and focus and abz. I'm going to have to work on my conditioning goal too.

I was super tired and cranky today. They upside is I know this feeling is from working hard yesterday morning and the excessive amount of stance work I did during work hours. Also, missing lunch because I had a phone interview didn't help.

I meant to do more this evening but not tonight. I want to make sure I'm up early tomorrow so I can get at it properly.

I made chicken sandwiches on Brogo Bredd for tomorrow. Plural because they are tiny. I started using pizza crust yeast in the Brogo Bredd recipe... total game changer. I don't have to wait 2-4 hours for it to leaven, I just mix it up, knead it, and pop it in the oven. Because it expands so fast, or something, the top of the crust has a really smooth texture. Before it was just lumpy and rough looking. The taste is the same, but it looks nicer, and prep is faster.

I decided to wait until next week to try this new dojo. Hopefully, I'll be limber enough by then. Then I had another look at Praying Mantis Kung Fu. If that works out (meaning the instructor isn't batshit crazy) I think that's what I'll probably do. That's where my heart is. But once I get settled in I'll probably take some jiu jitsu or judo on the side to keep it real.

• Like 4

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

Here to read about you kicking things. Are you now doing a low carb but non keto diet, or? 

I don't have specific goals for diet this time. And definitely non keto, but limited gummi bears.

I think it's pretty close to the Mediterranean diet. It's mostly plant based. Dairy and meat are only used like condiments or occassional treats. I'm avoiding large quantities of carbs and trying to get them from mostly fruit or roots. But tonight I'm eating rice with dinner and drinking a  Moscow Mule (or 2... here we go). Veggies, veggies, veggies.

9 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I'm glad you're working through and finding solutions. :)  Also, nice problem solving on the Brogo Bredd. That will help when you market it to the masses. :D 

Brogo Bredd is definitely going to be a winner here. If I was marketing it to the masses, here's some shit you'd see on the label:

Excellent source of protein

A complete protein

High in protein

Cures cancer and erectile dysfunction*

Definitely not gluten free

A vegetarian food

But vegans beware

May enhance superpowers in some individuals*

Contains Eggs, gluten, and sometimes soy

Low in cholesterol, maybe

*statements not validated by the FDA

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

On 7/31/2019 at 3:16 PM, Curl Brogo said:

May enhance superpowers in some individuals*

*statements not validated by the FDA

Got my hopes up for a second there. But alas, there is no superfood. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

On 8/1/2019 at 1:10 PM, Kishi said:

Brogo Bredd sounds amazing and I would eat it. Like a lot.

Also, hi! Nice to see you! Welcome to the Monastery and I hope you enjoy your sojourn with us!

If there's anything we can do to help you out, please let us know.

I return for this warm welcome, I will share the recipe:

Dry Stuff

1.5 cups of vital wheat gluten

1 cup of pea protein

1 packet of Fleishman's Pizza crust yeast (not brand loyal, but that's what I used and I haven't tried others yet)

Wet Stuff

1.5  cups of water

1 tbsp sugar (dissolved in the water)

2 eggs

2 tbs oil

Fold the dry stuff together with a fork or balloon whisk.

Dissolve the sugar in the water.

Add the oil and the 2 eggs (separate yolks and whites) to the dry stuff.

Add the sugar water to the dry stuff and stir with a fork pretty gently.

When you see clumps, but your stir and its mostly dry, add 1-2 oz of water. Add water to the dry stuff around the edges, then stir gently again.

Keep making small water additions until all or almost all the dry stuff is formed into clumps.

Knead the clumps into a ball, and keep kneading for a minute or two just to get everything incorporated and homogenized.

The dough will be weird. More sticky and gummy than regular bread dough. Deal with it. If it's too sticky and a lot of it sticks to your hands, it's probably fine, just add a little less water next time.

When you have a pretty solid ball, you're ready to cut it, that's right, cut it, to fit into whatever bread pan you're using. I recommend a bread pan because it tends to  expand and flatten out as it bakes. I use two small loaf pans (8" L x 3" W x 2.5" H) for this batch.

Give them a light coat of oil.

Bake at 325 deg F, for about 30-40 min. Until the top is brown and firm. If you undercook it, it might deflate.

If you use regular yeast, it can take from 2-4 hour leavening. Coat 'em with oil and put a moist towel over 'em.

You can also sub in another type of protein powder. I've also used soy protein isolate.

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

Got my hopes up for a second there. But alas, there is no superfood. 

Except maybe...

0mIaMtzSPaCa.gif

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Today for a workout, I did nothing strenuous. All I did was stretch, then I decided to see how much of my old Eagle Claw form I remember. The answer is not much at all. There are five sections, and the first which is super easy has some patchy areas.

Then I moved on to some stance work which evolved into a deep stretch session. Mostly for the legs and hips: Horse stance, bow stance, side splits -- making them progressively deeper/wider and walking them forward and backward, and hip openers. This went on for a good 20 min. I pushed through a lot of tightness and pain (not bad pain, but I wouldn't call it good pain either). Is pain that makes your vision blurry but somehow you block it mentally and regain your focus and very slowly you make progress a thing? (sounds worse as I describe it than it really was to experience) Then I started dinner and finished with some leg raises and crunches.

I can already feel my tomorrow self hating my current self. My legs are gonna be tight and sore.

Here's the big insight though... from the Tao of Brogojutsu.

I originally had a goal of coming home and doing a bunch of bear complexes or something. Then work on abs. Then I"ll have to stretch and make time for breathing and meditation. But instead of doing that, I just did kung fu (or tried to) and my body told me what it needed most. In order to do kung fu, or brogojutsu, I need to stretch.  My muscles are tight. My joints are... weak? something like that. When I throw a punch I feel pain and a sense of imbalance in my elbow more than I feel a clean crisp movement of my fist. I need to get back to fundamental kung fu movement and stretching is a key component of that.

Stretching and simple form practice. Just do the movements, and the movements will tell you what they need to manifest themselves.

Tao of Brogojutsu 1: There is no program, only the goal. Seek the goal with awareness and an open mind and the program will manifest itself to you.

Time to start collecting these thoughts in a list somewhere for future reference.

• Like 6

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

I went into to work this morning to pick up some overtime. I just had a great lunch, a salad with Brogo Bredd croutons and pint of vanilla pea protein milk flavored with matcha powder.

My big goal for this weekend is to finish my data science capstone (if possible) and get this damn certification knocked out. I have "2.5 weeks" worth of material left. Time to grind.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge