• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Funky Dung

Funky Dung's Running His Ass Off

1. I'll try to make this intro spiffier if/when time permits.
  2. I thought about being a smartass and picking a species not typical in RPG games, such as a Sabacian from the Farscape universe, but like the Doctor, I'm strangely fond of humanity. ;)
  3. Here are my stats:
    • STR: 1
    • DEX: 3
    • CON: 2
    • STA: 2
    • WIS: 3
    • CHA: 4

[*]My charisma score is based on force of personality rather than looks. ;)

[*]Here are my goals:

• Fitness: Lose 4.4 pounds (from 179.4 to 175). I'm on a long-term journey to 150 at .5lb per week. I just rounded to a nice ending number. :)
  • Fitness: Run 3-4 times a week. That's easier said than done with three kids under four and a dissertation to write. ;)
  • Fitness: Do pushups 3 times a week (using the Android Pushups app as guide). It's similar to the 100 Pushups Challenge, but I feel less pressured to move to the next (inappropriate) level with this app.
  • Life: Stay on schedule for finishing my PhD on time.

[*]I'll think about points for my goals later. I needed to get this set up in time first.

[*]I considered being an adventurer, since my primary goal is weight loss. However, while I'm not a skilled runner, I'm not a n00b, either. I've run two marathons and countless other races of shorter distances.

[*]I dropped by the forums a while ago, posted my intro, and vanished. For that I apologize. My kids and my dissertation keep me rather busy.

[*]For fellow number-crunching geeks, my weight chart is here.

[*]You can track my workouts here.

[*]I'm trying out Fitocracy. Jury's out on how long I'll stick with it.

[*]You can also find me at the DadLabs forum threads Fitness Forever and Strength in Numbers Fitness Challenge.

Edited by Funky Dung
added some details and links

I started my journey from 191.2 lbs (191.3 by 7-day decaying average) on January 30 (if memory serves). Today I weighed in at 180.2 lbs (179.8 by average). That's a loss of 11 lbs (11.5 by average)! I was only aiming for losing 6.5 lbs over that 13 week span. :) Just over the 6 weeks prior to this challenge I lost 8lbs. I promised myself I'd stick to my .5 lbs per week rate, though, so I consider losses like that nice bonuses and pounds "in the bank" to be "spent" when I plateau for a while (which is bound to happen). For this challenge I did pick a goal a little beyond 3 lbs, though. Why? I guess I just liked the look of 175 as a finishing weight. ;)

BTW, I'll be running a 10K race on Fathers Day. I would have made my time goal one of the goals for this challenge, but Fathers Day is after the challenge ends. Oh well. Perhaps the next challenge will overlap with another race I'm running. :)

hln40lcYz5I-dHLDMmcgmpMi4xRW5MIoXCEVjx99XyF3k5pspgTwwXLBhCZaWzCu4iDKXanaX9w

start weight: 179.6

04/30 weight: 179.6

05/07 weight: 180.0

goal weight: 175.0

Hello, plateau, my old friend...

While the slight gain is disappointing, its not unexpected. I had a long, miserable sinus infection that led to some spurious weigh loss. Now I have the hard task of losing weigh the hard and healthy way.

Weekly Workout Summary:

miles walked: 27 (10 trips)

miles run: 24.65 (4 workouts)

push-ups done: 14 (1 session)

I started, but did not complete, one day's push-ups workout. I decided that I need to start at a lower ability level. Hopefully I'll be able to motivate myself to do push-ups three days this week. It's hard when I come home after a day of dissertation work to the exhaustion of parenthood.

Edited by Funky Dung

You said spiffy. I can't remember the last time I've heard 'spiffy' I missed it so much and you just made my day.

I'm actually rather inspired by the time you're finding for all of these workouts. I've got two part-time kids and a freelance job, so much more time than you have and yet I keep finding excuses to stay on my ass. I just followed you on Fitocracy so that seeing YOUR workouts might make me get off of my own ass and do one as well.

Keep up the good work, sounds to me like you're already off to a great start!

You said spiffy. I can't remember the last time I've heard 'spiffy' I missed it so much and you just made my day.

I also say "groovy" a lot. ;)

I'm actually rather inspired by the time you're finding for all of these workouts. I've got two part-time kids and a freelance job, so much more time than you have and yet I keep finding excuses to stay on my ass. I just followed you on Fitocracy so that seeing YOUR workouts might make me get off of my own ass and do one as well.

I'm glad I can be an inspiration. :) A lot of my workouts come from walking to and from work every day (2.7mi each way). If you didn't see those workouts, I'm sure I'd be a far less impressive specimen. ;)

Keep up the good work, sounds to me like you're already off to a great start!

Thanks. I need all the encouragement I can get to overcome this plateau. :)

Well, I dunno just how big of a geek you are but if you're a video game nerd, maybe this will help. :)

Right now I'm playing the Avengers game on Facebook. I have to buy my heroes, get them enough XP and then save up money until I can pay for their training to level up. THEN, after all that waiting, I have to wait anywhere up to a full day to a week for their training to finish so they're at the next level.

I know for a fact that I've played games with that system before. It's so exciting when you finally get them ready to level up... then you have to wait and even if you use them in a fight, it does nothing because their XP bar is already full. You have to do the boring work of saving up money and once you can afford it you still have to wait for their training to finish. You see what I'm trying to say? At the end of their levels, before they can train up, there is almost always a plateau. It can by trying on your patience to get them through it so they can start training up but then one day you come back to the game and that training that you saved up for is finally finished and you can get back to the process of making your hero even cooler.

If you're not a game nerd, I might have lost you. All that was just to say that a plateau isn't what you get when you stop making progress. It's what you get while your body saves up the resources necessary to level you up!

XaOZPupmRIPEJS3oo0EYz7N7JnYJw9PDjH_QpDf9D986XOo5Toaz3dmnbjcAgpuk_j5NlYqZFyU

05/07 weight: 180.0

05/14 weight: 177.4

It looks like I might have gotten past the plateau, but I'm remaining cautious. My moving average weight dropped from 179.6 to 178.3. Chart here.

Weekly Workout Summary:

miles walked: 27 (10 trips)

miles run: 7.36 (1 workout)

push-ups done: 71 (3 sessions)

sit-ups done: 40 (1 session)

Edited by Funky Dung

GBbBJzuibzfgEmRhAId_629HRlUcQZAMLw0gajU_0z9wMax3w9LRvaA6jd0JElThPYeQd8wkVzA

05/14 weight: 177.4

05/21 weight: 177.8

One good plateau deserves another. ;) Chart here.

Weekly Workout Summary:

miles walked: 16.2 (6 trips)

miles run: 10.79 (2 workouts)

push-ups done: 63 (2 sessions)

sit-ups done: 43 (1 session)

Edited by Funky Dung

2Gt36Lb2gPV9FI7p6LrfCJWKsw7nFc6REhxOosE0ibQ9QKgKvWnOCY4wemaQ0qgmb8oGJy9hjvo

05/21 weight: 177.8

05/28 weight: 175.0

Technically, I've reached my goal. However, I won't really count it until I can maintain it for a week. Chart here.

Weekly Workout Summary:

miles walked: 10.8 (4 trips)

miles run: 5.6 (1 workouts)

push-ups done: 77 (2 sessions)

sit-ups done: 51 (1 session)

Edited by Funky Dung

iRjvPK8cccLgNlRVYmdON6qw79hdzsSCemMoiTWx-UVI4m7U_ZC93WLV3Xz7UXSdna1e3X_zZ80

05/28 weight: 175.0

06/03 weight: 176.0

I guess I couldn't maintain my goal weight for a week. Oh well. I'm disappointed, but the awesome paces I've been running lately make up for it. :)

Workout summary coming soon (if I feel up to it).

Edited by Funky Dung

nerd_fitness_may_challenge_week_6.png

06/04 weight: 176.0

06/11 weight: 177.2

Final Grades:

Weight loss: C

Running: C

Push-ups: D

Dissertation: B

On a technical note, does anyone know how to upload images? I get an error every time I try. If I lack sufficient permission, fine, but I'd rather be told "no" than get an unexplained error.

post-5674-13567244046174_thumb.jpg

Edited by Funky Dung
added chart

Bummer about your weight backsliding a bit the last couple weeks, but that little bit could be any number of things. How often and how consistently (time of day, etc) do you weigh yourself? My weight will swing up and down as much as 4 or 5 lbs over the course of 2 days.

Regarding pictures - use the "basic uploader" (there should be a button in the lower right hand corner of the insert image panel). Alternatively, you can just upload them to photobucket or similar and hotlink from there (this is what I do).

Edited by msuroo

Thanks for the reply. :) I weight myself every morning (or nearly), after I've peed and before I've gotten dressed, wearing just an undershirt and boxers. That's about as much experimental control as I can manage under the circumstances. ;)

My full weight chart can be found here.

Thanks for the reply. :) I weight myself every morning (or nearly), after I've peed and before I've gotten dressed, wearing just an undershirt and boxers. That's about as much experimental control as I can manage under the circumstances. ;)

My full weight chart can be found here.

Fair enough. I can't see the google docs link at work, but looking upthread it looks like you were losing inches around your waist. Are those inches still gone? If so, I wouldn't worry so much about the lbs. It looks like you were doing great work, so don't get discouraged if the scale isn't cooperating - it's a fickle thing :).

Fair enough. I can't see the google docs link at work, but looking upthread it looks like you were losing inches around your waist. Are those inches still gone? If so, I wouldn't worry so much about the lbs. It looks like you were doing great work, so don't get discouraged if the scale isn't cooperating - it's a fickle thing :).

I agree with everything Roo said.