• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sarakingdom

Sara Kingdom Kicks Off the End of the World as We Know It

Season 8A of Doctor Who, the one we only got in an alternate universe. But I'd have so watched it. (Beware NSFW language in the above trailer, and the below challenge.)

tumblr_napr9ob28Q1r6olp6o2_500.gif

1. We've fucking time-traveled, yes?

Good time management. Daily goal.

doctor-who-listen-meditation.jpg

2. You are a mouse in a maze.

Meditation. Daily goal.

4776353-1766754960-vlcsn.png

3. You need to learn to shut your fucking cave.

Intermittent fasting. Do it. Remind myself of the reasons for doing it. Daily goal.

you-may-be-j4f5uu.jpg

4. Bend down, pick up any fucking weapon you can, and twat the fuckery out of them.

Aikido, and preparation for aikido. Almost daily goal.

tumblr_oibuannUEU1u1ok9so3_400.gif

5. I want you to make a bomb. And explode it. Today.

Make a thing. As needed goal.

doctor-who-peter-capaldi-pic.jpg

6. Life is interesting at last, I've been so fucking bored the past two years.

I haven't, really. But I need to take note of stuff I do that is outside my rut. Box. Rut. Outside, anyway. As needed goal.

That is all. *hits post*

tumblr_ncyxlm3Idw1rgygrxo3_500.gif

• Like 6

Week 0 Day 0

Fucking Time Travel:

4 points pro - got up early and got out of the house; used time well for part of my coffee break; used time wisely when I got home

2 points anti - didn't use time too well between those last two

Shut Your Cave:

6 points pro: first snack came in on valid 16/8, actual first meal was like 23/1; some bonus points for improvement on macros and using groceries to make food; additional bonus for prepping lunches

Make a Bomb:

2 points pro: made laundry soap from my ingredient stash, including making the washing soda from baking soda

Pick Up Any Weapon:

1 point pro: token preparation

Mouse in a Maze:

TBA

Life Is Interesting at Last:

Probably not today

• Like 4

I'm using random bits to prep lunches. I found a GIANT carrot from the last batch of purchased veg that was, strangely, still good. I have some Italian sausage, rosemary, lemon basil, green onion... not sure what else, whatever I can find. Some old beets, some greens of some kind. Sort of a stone soup lunch, but tasty. Gonna roast it all up and pack some boxed lunches.

• Like 3

Week 0 Day 1

Fucking Time Travel:

3 points pro - got up on time and got out of the house; did four small tasks before work

2 points anti - didn't do bedtime well last night

Stern glare - I made myself a travel mug of tea like a commuting pro, and of course forgot it on the counter while doing little jobs. Thanks, me. I need to get my cold brew action back on.

Shut Your Cave:

2 points pro: Made tea this morning, remembered my meds, packed three lunches.

(Though, in fairness, even 16/8 is gonna be a challenge given when I finished dinner last night. We'll see. I'll count anything mid-afternoon as enough of a win to meet the current baby steps back on track.)

Make a Bomb:

TBA

Pick Up Any Weapon: 

TBA

Goal: do a little yoga

Mouse in a Maze:

TBA

1 point - listened to a talk on body scan meditation, did some random bits of it, remembered that I tend to hold onto tension around my eyes when I haven't slept enough, which might be a headache factor.

TBA

• Like 3

I just bought forty dollars of fabric and forty dollars of gin. Does that count for making, or do I actually have to sit down with a gin and tonic and sew something?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Week 0 Day 2

Fucking Time Travel:

2 points pro - went with the flow; did really well on bedtime

1 point anti - slow start

Shut Your Cave: 

1 point anti: I ate breakfast. No regrets. Ice cream is what got me out of bed.

Make a Bomb:

2 points pro: Washed and dried the fabric for my first project; made lemonade concentrate for work

Pick Up Any Weapon: 

TBA

Goal: do a little yoga

This goal is not working out really well. I'm running out of time at the end of the day, and my yoga setup is not really there. Maybe I could try the morning, if I get my mornings under control.

Also, I want to get out of my chair at work and into floor sitting again. Offices are not super well set up for that.

Mouse in a Maze:

1 point pro: doing it before bed

1 point: went on a gin and fabric spree

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I just bought forty dollars of fabric and forty dollars of gin. Does that count for making, or do I actually have to sit down with a gin and tonic and sew something?

I think it counts as solid prep for making something.  You could make a g&t and ponder what to sew (unless you already know what you're making).  

5 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

I think it counts as solid prep for making something.  You could make a g&t and ponder what to sew (unless you already know what you're making).  

Agreed.

Or, you could improve your G&T game. How much G, how much T, how much ice? Lime? Cucumber? Both? Something else?

7 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

I sort of do, but my fabric plan went up in smoke at the store, so now I have to figure out how I'm gonna use the fabric i have to make what I want. And I also have an extra piece I just liked, and am not entirely sure what to do with.

2 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Or, you could improve your G&T game. How much G, how much T, how much ice? Lime? Cucumber? Both? Something else?

I suspect always lime. But I hadn't considered cucumber. I did, in fact, get two varieties of gin, though, do this could easily be a plan. Maybe I'll have to also get some different types of tonic.

• Like 1

Now we're making. 

Cucumber goes extremely well with Hendricks and maybe a few others. Some sort of Alchemy I suppose. Idk.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

Cucumber goes extremely well with Hendricks and maybe a few others. Some sort of Alchemy I suppose. Idk.

Hendricks is rose and cucumber flavored, right? So that'd make sense.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I sort of do, but my fabric plan went up in smoke at the store, so now I have to figure out how I'm gonna use the fabric i have to make what I want. And I also have an extra piece I just liked, and am not entirely sure what to do with.

This is how fabric stashes accumulate. Don't say no one warned you. B) 

Are you working on those amazingly efficient patterns you posted last spring?

7 minutes ago, Mistr said:

This is how fabric stashes accumulate. Don't say no one warned you. B) 

Are you working on those amazingly efficient patterns you posted last spring?

I think I can manage. When in doubt, make a tablecloth. Easily reclaimed. :)

Not this week. I need napkins, and I need some storage bags and rolls to keep stuff wrangled. So this week is all mitred corners and bag gussets and pocket design.

• Like 3

Week 0 Day 7

Fucking Time Travel:

Basically all the points.

Shut Your Cave:

Whatever. It's a wash.

Make a Bomb:

Dunno, some batch cooking and space farm maintenance? Sure.

Pick Up Any Weapon: 

Did yoga.

Mouse in a Maze:

Did two meditations.

Not today. Life is work.

• Like 3

It is week 1.

tumblr_mxvs7otTV71qm1x8bo1_500.gif

(I actually can't tell if this is a genuine Thick of It gif, or one recaptioned to match the basic premise of season 8a, which is kind of great.)

Week 1 Day 1

Fucking Time Travel:

4 points: good start despite sleeping badly, did the thing

Shut Your Cave:

3 points: hit fasting goal, mostly made good food choices

Make a Bomb:

Amnestied due to tiredness and errands.

Pick Up Any Weapon: 

Amnestied - tired.

Mouse in a Maze: 

Short meditation.

Too tired for life to be interesting.

• Like 3

Week 1 Day 2

Fucking Time Travel:

4 points: went to bed super early, woke up before my alarm, used the extra time thoughtfully

Shut Your Cave:

Amnestied, I went to bed too early to get all my meals in yesterday, and it's too steep a deficit

1 point: basically did it anyway, though

Make a Bomb:

2 points: Made pizza from scratch, and did not make the laziest dough. Also, four toppings.

Pick Up Any Weapon: 

4 points pro: for morning yoga

Mouse in a Maze: 

TBA 

Not much. Unless gin and tonics and pizza are interesting? It's not default. Neither is yoga before work. So maybe an honorary lifestyle win.

It was a good call to take a week or two for some yoga before going back to the dojo. What with all my sleep problems and stuff for the past few months, my body feels like I've been sick. Incredibly tight, no endurance. Strength not bad, considering, but my mobility needs tons of work before I go back. (That should take care of a lot of the endurance, I think. It feels like that sort of thing; a combination of straining too hard against my own mobility limitations and just needing a little light post-illness conditioning.)

So, yeah, I haven't technically been sick, but you really wouldn't know it from my irregular sleep habits and work stress adaptations lately, so maybe this isn't a surprise. We'll call this partly a recovery challenge. This week is basically going to be long and slow, the walking of yoga, as much as I can fit in, just trying to get those muscles loosened up and get that tension out of my body. My stretch goal (no pun intended) is twice a day; once in the morning and once at night.

• Like 4

Today might become a fasting day after all, by warrior diet rules. I had a small amount of food this morning, and it really didn't agree with me. If I can't trust my body with food, maybe it doesn't get any.

I'm liking the focus of the flexibility/mobility sections of these yoga-for-athletes DVDs so far. They're focused largely on hamstrings and hips, with some incidental spine/core, all roughly in the proportions I need and in good common sense progressions. Maybe not everyone's sweet spot, but mine. (My hamstrings are super tight, and my hips could use a lot of hip opening exercises. They've never really been mobile enough. My spine is okay if I keep it moving, but in my average workday, it doesn't happen much, so this is about right. And there's a bit of bridge and table for glutes and core and stuff. So it's a good light "get stuff moving and loosened up" that hits my issues well.)

• Like 3

I'm glad that the yoga DVDs are giving you the right sort of exercises. I hear you on wanting to get to a certain level of mobility and stamina before returning to the dojo. Aikido assumes that you can do a certain range of things with your body. If you can't do that, you spend a lot of time asking your partners to take it easy on you. Or else you feel pressured to do more than your body can handle. Not fun in either case.

Are you making some headway on your sleep deficit?

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

Are you making some headway on your sleep deficit?

It's not as bad as it was during hell week at work. But I'm basically running a consistent 8-9 hour deficit. It's hard to guarantee more than five hours a night, even if I'm spending the right amount of time in bed.

There's a time and place for diving in and getting what you need for training by training, but I've just been a little more fragile than usual lately. I honestly need to work on that regardless of aikido plans, because I'm kind of struggling to function normally with sleep and energy levels and stuff, but clearly a good idea not to be extra weak on the mat. If nothing else, I need to sleep better and get in that recovery time, and some light training helps me sleep and gets my body into recovery mode.

• Sad 3

Garden update:

I AM MELON LORD.

InbornFeminineIrishterrier-size_restrict

Well, I have a melon.

Well, it's not ripe yet.

But I have one that's full-sized. It's about the size of a large apple or a softball. It just needs to turn more yellow. And I have a bunch of little ones coming along. It is totally not bothered by the heat that's taking out all the summer stuff. And it's making a wild dash through my neighbor's tomato plants like it's an intrepid explorer. I admire its chutzpah, and its grabby little tendrils. Fortunately, she doesn't mind if I go digging through her plants to get my melons. (Since they're encroaching on my space, I feel this is fair.) I'm super proud of that vigorous little melon plant and its oddball little apple-melons.

Also, my garden plot is plot of the month, which is unexpected, because it's not producing tons of anything but chard and marigolds, and it's not looking that amazing in the heat. But it does have a ton of biodiversity, and it's pretty darned covered in green, even if most of it's out of season, so there's that. There's probably fifteen types of plant they can see, and a few more that are hiding. (Also, apparently my square foot markers have become a tour feature when they show people around, even though I only approximately follow them.)

I'm going to start seedlings for an early fall round of summer vegetables, when the heat gets less ridiculous. Apparently the problem is the nighttime temperatures being too high. I might put some ginger in the shade by my chard, where I suspect it'll be happier. And hopefully I've got melons to look forward to.

I've been giving away marigold seeds like crazy. Fortunately, I have a fresh round to deadhead. Someone wanted some for their plot, and I put a ton in the planter around the garden sign, where they pulled out sunflowers that weren't thriving. (Honestly, I planted too many. I took one seedhead per planter spot, which will hold one or two plants, and just crumbled the whole seedhead into the dirt.) I think my marigold population is going to turn a little sorcerer's apprentice, because I have trouble discarding good seeds.

• Like 5

Week 1 Day 6

Fucking Time Travel:

4 points: went to bed super early, got to the super early community garden event after a decent night's sleep

Shut Your Cave:

4 points: a lot of fasting, because no one has time to eat before super early mornings, and then I was going to take a nap, which I seriously needed, but instead I spent the time setting up Amazon subscriptions to get my nutrition game back on point after a frankly long period of drift, and that took a long time, so maybe it was 23/1?

Since making meals ahead of time is not working for me at work, what is working is to have stuff to grab stored at work, preferably portable, because I'm mostly eating in a very mobile grazing sort of way. So, okay, the case of packets of peanuts with the subscription discount is actually a great price for peanuts in addition to being neatly packaged and portable, and of the protein bars that meet my specs, there are some I can get for under a dollar. So basically I'm becoming my own vending machine. But I know this works, and I just need to push the nutritional aspects closer to what I want. I stuck it on subscription both because I like discounts if I'm buying stupid wasteful shit like protein bars and individual packets of peanuts, and because I don't want the failure point to be my lack of brain, especially when that's the exact moment I need easily available food sources. (I also got a few staples for home on subscription, for the same reason.)

Make a Bomb:

2 points: I MADE A MELON.

Pick Up Any Weapon: 

1 point: I gardened a lot?

Mouse in a Maze:

No.

No.

• Like 1