Maigs Keeps On Keepin' On

Maigs

This challenge will look a lot like last challenge in terms of goals. I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing because last challenge it (mostly) worked and I felt pretty good about how it went. I'm adding a flexibility/mobility goal this time around. Between my right shoulder acting crunchy and my ridiculously tight hamstrings I'm risking injuring myself if I don't do something about this. Not to mention the fact that my tight calves probably contribute to my plantar fasciitis. 

Challenge Goals:

Kickboxing - Kicking this up a hair to a goal of averaging 2.5 sessions a week (including zero week) for a total of 15 sessions

Running - Keeping this goal at an average of 2 runs a week for a total of 12 runs

Food - Also keeping this goal the same as last challenge of 5 days a week of tracking all food and keeping under my calorie goal for a total of 30 days on track

Flexibility/Mobility - The new goal. I'm going to try for an average of 4 days a week for a total of 20 days. 

Weight - The goal is to lose another 5lbs this challenge. This will finally put me back at pre-tax season weight 

Obstacles:

This is a relatively obstacle-free challenge for me. Hub's ankle is nearly healed, no one is planning to visit us, and we're not doing any travel until we go home for Labor Day weekend at the beginning of September. I have one event this challenge and it's just a local 5k mudrun about 10 minutes from home. If I'm feeling it I may sign up for a second local-ish one about an hour away, but it's the same day as the one I'm already signed up for and last year it was so brutal I'm reluctant to do it again (1pm start in August with the first mile or so being up steep hills in direct sun). They say they changed the route, but the start looks similar to last year's and I'm just not excited about it. 

• Like 9

Current Challenge:  Maigs Starts Over

Following, as per usual.  

giphy.gif

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Following!

20 minutes ago, Maigs said:

may sign up for a second local-ish one about an hour away, but it's the same day as the one I'm already signed up for and last year it was so brutal I'm reluctant to do it again (1pm start in August with the first mile or so being up steep hills in direct sun). They say they changed the route, but the start looks similar to last year's and I'm just not excited about it. 

I'm having this issue with a lot of our local ones. The routes remain the same year after year and there's no excitement in running them. I'm finding myself signing up to fewer races as I'm lacking the enthusiasm to do them.

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Sunday

I started this challenge off officially yesterday so let's start with the reckoning:

Kickboxing  - 0/2.5: They're closed Sundays

Running - 1/2: got out for a 1.1 mile run. It sprinkled on me a bit which is far preferable to the 90F+ temps I dealt with most of last challenge

Food - 1/5: Everything was tracked and under goal. 

Flexibility - 1/4: I played around with a couple of gentle stretching videos on youtube. These were a big part of why I chose this goal instead of pushups because they really showed just how tight my hamstrings were when I could barely do a very bent-knee downward dog

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, doctorake said:

Following, seems basic and to the point.

Welcome. Basic is what I need after 2 years of trying to over-complicate things and treading water

7 minutes ago, Stribs said:

Following, as per usual.  

Good to have you here Stribs!

3 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Following!

I'm having this issue with a lot of our local ones. The routes remain the same year after year and there's no excitement in running them. I'm finding myself signing up to fewer races as I'm lacking the enthusiasm to do them.

I actually wouldn't have minded if they kept the route from the first two years I ran it but last year they switched it around and have you going up the steep hills without any trees and back downhill in the wooded areas. That combined with switching from a morning start to an afternoon start in the hottest part of summer made the first mile dangerous. I saw a few people taken down by first responders in ATV's because they over-heated. 

• Like 1

Monday

I did the things. Went to kickboxing, tracked all my food and stayed under goal, and did some stretching. Its a good thing I decided to work on stretching because I have a heck of a knot in my right quad today that was not helped by the amount of squats we did today

Running - 1/2

Kickboxing - 1/2.5

Food - 2/5

Flexibility - 2/4

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Maigs said:

I did the things.

giphy.gif

Glad you got those stretches in!  I hope your quad knot goes away!!!

• Like 1

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

What kind of stuff are you doing for your mobility goal? I need to do something about mobility too. :P

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

11 hours ago, Stribs said:

Glad you got those stretches in!  I hope your quad knot goes away!!!

Thanks. It's better, though not quite gone yet

6 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

What kind of stuff are you doing for your mobility goal? I need to do something about mobility too. :P

To start with I'm just finding videos on Youtube labeled "beginner stretches" or "for very inflexible people". I'm going to be looking back through @Charlie_Quinn's last challenge for some shoulder mobility stuff to keep my crunchy shoulder from becoming something worse

5 hours ago, Teros said:
Image result for fuck yeah kickboxing

Welcome! I've seen you around the forums but haven't checked out your challenges yet. I need to track yours down

• Like 2

Tuesday

It was a bit of a bipolar day. I was really excited at parts (we realized that we have other reasonable options to store a campervan without moving!) and grouchy at absolutely nothing at other parts. I ended up eating my grouchiness in the form on a large amount of trail mix after lunch and too much Ben & Jerry's after dinner. Food was absolutely not on track and well over goal for the day. I also didn't end up running which I probably should have but can go tomorrow and still be on track for the week. I did a new stretching video today that taught me some good tricks to stretching out my glutes and IT band. Plus I did a couple of minutes of slow "PVC passthroughs" (from a video CQ posted last challenge) but using a towel to work on my shoulder

Running - 0/2

Kickboxing - 1/2.5

Food - 2/5

Flexibility - 3/4

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Maigs said:

I did a new stretching video today that taught me some good tricks to stretching out my glutes and IT band. 

Any chance you could share this? I could always do with more help in that area.

4 hours ago, Maigs said:

Plus I did a couple of minutes of slow "PVC passthroughs" (from a video CQ posted last challenge) but using a towel to work on my shoulder 

A resistance band is good for this too if you have one.

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

1 hour ago, Jarric said:

I was just going to say this. Stubes uses a resistance band for passthroughs as his shoulder mobility is so bad that he needs to be able to stretch the band slightly as it goes over his head. 

You can also do banded pull aparts, where you pull the band apart at the top of the passthrough (overhead) and then continue the movement. Use a light band if you do this.

• Like 1

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

9 hours ago, Maigs said:

we realized that we have other reasonable options to store a campervan without moving!)

After our trip this summer, we are definitely in the market for a travel trailer.  We looked at a few, but didn't pull the trigger, mostly because we couldn't keep it at the house.

I'm sure you'll get back on the food wagon today.  You got this!!

5 hours ago, Jarric said:

Any chance you could share this? I could always do with more help in that area.

This is the video I did and the specific part that helped me was at about 21 minutes in with the traditional "on your back, ankle over knee" glute stretch but with the instruction to engage the crossed foot, which I'd never heard to do before. That really helped me feel it all down my thigh into my glute. Then you rotate to put the foot on the floor and I actually felt it along the IT band which I've never really been able to stretch

5 hours ago, Jarric said:

3 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I was just going to say this. Stubes uses a resistance band for passthroughs as his shoulder mobility is so bad that he needs to be able to stretch the band slightly as it goes over his head. 

You can also do banded pull aparts, where you pull the band apart at the top of the passthrough (overhead) and then continue the movement. Use a light band if you do this.

I don't have any, though I've considered getting some. Right now all I have at home is a few dumbbells and a foam roller

37 minutes ago, Stribs said:

After our trip this summer, we are definitely in the market for a travel trailer.  We looked at a few, but didn't pull the trigger, mostly because we couldn't keep it at the house.

We definitely want something smaller (after watching big RV's struggle during our trip last summer) and neither of us are fans of trailers  so we're looking at Transit or minivan conversions. A coworker has a collection of older cars and not much more parking than I do so she and her husband rent out garages at apartment complexes around town. Apparently it's cheaper than renting at traditional storage places (especially ones that allow vehicles since most seem to specifically say they aren't allowed). I wouldn't want it just sitting in an open field like some of the places I see near me, but I could handle paying $50/month for a garage in an apartment complex within biking distance if it lets me stay in my super cheap townhome

37 minutes ago, Stribs said:

I'm sure you'll get back on the food wagon today.  You got this!!

Hopefully, though I'm out of leftovers to take for lunch and a burger sounds really good lately :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Maigs said:

This is the video I did and the specific part that helped me was at about 21 minutes in with the traditional "on your back, ankle over knee" glute stretch but with the instruction to engage the crossed foot, which I'd never heard to do before. That really helped me feel it all down my thigh into my glute. Then you rotate to put the foot on the floor and I actually felt it along the IT band which I've never really been able to stretch

That was brilliant, thank you. That figure-4 stretch is one of my hip rebab exercises, but I feel like I got a lot more out of it following that video. Might do the full video from the start at the weekend if I get a chance.

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

11 hours ago, doctorake said:

I suggest after a workout this routine.

https://phrakture.github.io/starting-stretching.html

I see noticeable difference in my mobility in less than a week.

Ooh, thanks! I definitely give this one a try

7 hours ago, Jarric said:

That was brilliant, thank you. That figure-4 stretch is one of my hip rebab exercises, but I feel like I got a lot more out of it following that video. Might do the full video from the start at the weekend if I get a chance.

Welcome! I've done that stretch plenty before too but just the instruction to flex the foot made a huge difference in how well it stretched my hamstrings and glutes

• Like 1

Wednesday

Another not so great food day but mostly good with everything else. I did end up getting a burger for lunch....and fries....and quite a bit of Dr Pepper. No idea on the calories since it's a local place but there's no way I was under goal. But after I got home I cooked dinner which made leftovers for lunch tomorrow, then went for a run and did another Youtube stretching video. I didn't like this one nearly as much as yesterday's but it was 15ish minutes of stretching.

I had therapy today and talked about my random panickyness last week, random grumpiness yesterday, and general not-great eating for the last week and we have an unfortunate theory. It's the gorram cookies I ate at game night last week. Whether it's a mental "well I fucked up" problem or a physiological issue with sugar I have no idea, but after a few weeks of doing really well mentally and with eating I had a bad week starting right when I ate those damn cookies.

So I have a new goal to add to my challenge:

Sugar - no sweets. Period. Goal of maintaining this 6 days a week starting tomorrow.

Kickboxing - 1/2.5

Running - 2/2

Food - 2/5

Stretching - 4/4

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Maigs said:

It's the gorram cookies I ate at game night last week. Whether it's a mental "well I fucked up" problem or a physiological issue with sugar I have no idea, but after a few weeks of doing really well mentally and with eating I had a bad week starting right when I ate those damn cookies.

I feel this.  Once my downward spiral started in January, I just kept letting it go because "I had already failed that week and could just start fresh the next week" ...which only just started this week.  Glad you're doing something about it much sooner than I did.  Good goal adjustment!!

• Like 1

Thursday

I did some of the things. I was starving for like an hour before lunch but I'm guessing it was the leftover nonsense of eating off plan for the last week so I ignored the temptation to get extra food and ate my leftovers and they were fine. After work I went to kickboxing and it was good. Dinner was a bit of a hodgepodge since I'm out of stuff to cook but everything was tracked, none of it was sugar, and I squeaked in under goal. I skipped the stretching today. I could still get it in, but I just kinda don't want to and I've already made my goal for the week so I can skip a day.

Kickboxing - 2/2.5

Running - 2/2

Food - 3/5

Flexibility - 4/4

No sweets - 1/3 (since I started mid-week)

• Like 3

On 7/31/2019 at 12:05 AM, Maigs said:

I'm going to be looking back through @Charlie_Quinn's last challenge for some shoulder mobility stuff to keep my crunchy shoulder from becoming something worse

I meant to do this a few days ago and then forgot. This is the YouTube channel for the person that wrote my shoulder rehab program, so you can get some ideas for exercises to do.

On 7/31/2019 at 6:20 PM, Maigs said:

Apparently this was announced yesterday. Warrior Dash closed down effective immediately. I wasn't signed up for a race this year but it looks like anyone who did can get free or discounted admission to a bunch of other OCRs

I was really shocked to here this. Good on Spartan, Tough Mudder and others for stepping up and offering free places to people. 

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

10 hours ago, Maigs said:

I squeaked in under goal.

This was me 2 days ago, squeaking in under my lose it goal by 2 calories.  Like a Boss.  Great job keeping to your goals!!!!