• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

Millennial Mike's Meritorious Melange

On 8/6/2019 at 11:46 AM, JustCallMeAmber said:

Sounds like you needed a good restful weekend, and no shade for crying during Endgame! It was intense and essentially 10 years of living in one film. I mean, think about the stuff that went on in your life during that time span. (Of course, I also cried during the Lion King so.. yeah..I might be a bit more sentimental than I used to be.)

I'm definitely a sentimental ball of goo on the inside. No shame!

On 8/6/2019 at 11:46 AM, JustCallMeAmber said:

Anyways. I hope the ankle feels better soon and that you have a great week! :)

Thank you!! I kinda forgot about the ankle being tweaked - so I think it's safe to say it's made a nearly full recovery!

On 8/6/2019 at 12:10 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I also wept during Endgame.

I'm apparently far from the only one, having talked to other friends about it as well.

On 8/6/2019 at 12:56 PM, Raxie said:

Your weekend sounds really restorative both mentally and physically - glad you were able to get that in and avoid a full blown burn out! I am definitely going to have to check Tales of the City out, I love a good dramatic show.  Also I totally feel you on the potential under eating situation.  I felt like I ate SO MUCH last week like I was just constantly hungry, and then I realized I had upped my dancing to up to 3 hours a day to prep for the comp and then was also still lifting (and added an extra lifting session in too) - food is really hard and confusing sometimes. Hope your ankle heals up quick! Your dance family talk makes me want to go hug all my dance friends now haha.  They really are the best.

Haha no kidding on the food front - I'll feel like I'm eating everything in sight, then I check in with my weight tracking and see that I'm losing upwards of a pound over the course of a week and realize that I was *definitely* in a caloric deficit accidentally. Dance friends are pretty fantastic - especially my current dance partner, he's seriously an amazing blessing and I'm reminded to be grateful for him almost constantly.

On 8/8/2019 at 1:28 PM, miss_marissa said:

Hope your intense week isn't too intense :) you got this.

:D thanks! I survived, thankfully.

On 8/16/2019 at 12:03 PM, Raxie said:

Hope your crazy week went well!!

Things went - pretty good on the whole! I'm trying to even remember specific details and I'm kind of struggling - which is maybe a good thing? Or maybe a sign I should journal better.

Sooooo I've been out of here for a while. I had a rough couple of days where ALL KINDS of insecurities crept up - all the usual "not _____ enough" scripts that love to pop in every so often came roaring back with a vengeance. But I also had some amazing friends to lean on, plus some good coping mechanisms learned over the years (journaling, talking it out with people who've earned the right to my vulnerability, etc.) - there were some unhealthy coping mechanisms as well (furiously checking messaging apps, eating WAY TOO MUCH ice cream in a single sitting, etc.) but eh, details (also, I binge-read a romance / political thriller novel over like three worknights, which I think is a healthy coping activity, but in a volume that pushes it into unhealthy coping territory - shrug). Goals for this challenge are out the window, but it's not coming from a place of "I've failed, so let's just CANCEL GOALS and THEN I WON'T FAIL" which I've totally done before. Rather, a conversation with a building good friend (we've only started talking in the past month or two, but she's seriously awesome) made me realize that I'm guilty of some overachieving where I'll set really elaborate goals and go after them, but without really being articulate about the "why" behind my goals or digging to the heart of what I really want to achieve with them. When I look at my goals, I really wanted to be in command of my physical, mental, and emotional health both as an athlete and, more generally, as a person - and to a much lesser extent, to be a productive, contributing member of my workplace community. I'm not sure if I'm in a good spot for quantified goals to be productive (or if I have the space for any MORE of anything right now, really) so I'll be taking the rest of the challenge to just sort of reflect on what I'm doing, what's working, and what has room for improvement.

But also, a lot of fun things happened over the past couple weeks:

• Dance practices have been going SUPER well with my partner - feels like we're stumbling upon some breakthroughs that'll help us up the skill level even more
  • Social stuff has mostly been good - I really like my coworkers and I've had some really good times with some local friends
  • Dating life is going well - though I'm going to start being vaguer about that part of my life here
  • Been ramping up for the school year and teaching the college kids - we start with review classes next week, can't believe it's already here!
  • I went to a Harry Potter bar trivia event last weekend and my team killed it - top 1/4 of all teams there, and there were some HARD questions in there

And I've realized some things reaaaaally don't matter that much to me:

• I care less about the grad school program, or the grades I get in it, than I do about feeling like I'm growing and developing in my career - so I'm ok with letting my scores sort of slide towards the end of each course (which I've done for three of the four courses - whoops! But I've also already passed this semester's course, so it's low stress to bump that grade higher just for the sake of having a higher grade)
  • I don't need to meal prep to hit my health or financial goals - so I've fully embraced paying for pre-prepped meals since I've got the funds to do it (and taking a similar approach with housekeeping - I'll do basic maintenance but happily hire out the deeper, less frequent cleanings)

I'm 110% sure I've forgotten to mention lots of stuff, but that'll happen when you forget to update for forever. Looking forward to catching up on other folks' threads soon too!

• Like 9

Glad you've come through the rough patch to check in -- and have good friends on your side to help you out. :)

18 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

so I'll be taking the rest of the challenge to just sort of reflect on what I'm doing, what's working, and what has room for improvement.

Love it.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like you had some good conversations and insights despite the tough few days. And honestly, ice cream and reading are not the most destructive coping mechanisms. The Harry Potter trivia night sounds awesome :D As does the dance practice and mysteriously successful dating :) 

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2019 at 9:59 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Goals for this challenge are out the window, but it's not coming from a place of "I've failed, so let's just CANCEL GOALS and THEN I WON'T FAIL" which I've totally done before.

It happens. It has to happen indeed, otherwise challenges would start becoming a tad bit... meaningless? And it's very very good practice for perfectionists ;) 

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2019 at 1:59 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Goals for this challenge are out the window, but it's not coming from a place of "I've failed, so let's just CANCEL GOALS and THEN I WON'T FAIL" which I've totally done before. Rather, a conversation with a building good friend (we've only started talking in the past month or two, but she's seriously awesome) made me realize that I'm guilty of some overachieving where I'll set really elaborate goals and go after them, but without really being articulate about the "why" behind my goals or digging to the heart of what I really want to achieve with them. When I look at my goals, I really wanted to be in command of my physical, mental, and emotional health both as an athlete and, more generally, as a person - and to a much lesser extent, to be a productive, contributing member of my workplace community. I'm not sure if I'm in a good spot for quantified goals to be productive (or if I have the space for any MORE of anything right now, really) so I'll be taking the rest of the challenge to just sort of reflect on what I'm doing, what's working, and what has room for improvement.

Deep introspection is in our future! And it's a good thing. This kind of insight is more valuable than meeting whatever goals you set for yourself. :) 

• Thanks 1

Damn sorry you've been having some difficult days - I'm super glad you're reengaging on some stuff though and not just cancelling your goals so you can get the most out of all the brain stuffs you have going on. I find that sometimes my worst challenges end up being the most productive in terms of long term planning and success because of approaches like that. I love that you're looking at the big "why" for all your goals, especially realizing you can let go of some of your anxiety surrounding school.

And yay for dance going so well!!! I love hearing the news that you guys are progressing so much :)

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2019 at 3:18 PM, raptron said:

Glad you've come through the rough patch to check in -- and have good friends on your side to help you out. :)

Love it.

:D thank you thank you!

On 8/23/2019 at 5:15 PM, Harriet said:

Sounds like you had some good conversations and insights despite the tough few days. And honestly, ice cream and reading are not the most destructive coping mechanisms. The Harry Potter trivia night sounds awesome :D As does the dance practice and mysteriously successful dating :) 

True, ice cream and reading could be faaaaaar worse, in the grand scheme of things!

On 8/25/2019 at 1:55 AM, @mu said:

It happens. It has to happen indeed, otherwise challenges would start becoming a tad bit... meaningless? And it's very very good practice for perfectionists ;) 

Gah, but I don't like my perfectionism to encounter an *actual* lack of perfection! :P then it'd be so much easier to assume I'm farther along on my recovery from perfectionism.

On 8/25/2019 at 12:25 PM, scalyfreak said:

Deep introspection is in our future! And it's a good thing. This kind of insight is more valuable than meeting whatever goals you set for yourself. :) 

:D here's hoping it's deep, anyways. High probability of word vomit incoming.

On 8/26/2019 at 12:08 PM, CourtnieMarie said:

realizing the things that don't matter to you as much and focusing that energy elsewhere is huge - well done! :) 

:) at least I know what doesn't matter - now I gotta put my money where my mouth is and focus accordingly!

On 8/26/2019 at 1:04 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Sorry about the rough days but lots of great thoughts seem to have come out of it! :) 

:) yes, there were some consolations in this rough patch - and the rough patch that followed it! Cause apparently, that's how my life is going these days, haha.

7 hours ago, Raxie said:

Damn sorry you've been having some difficult days - I'm super glad you're reengaging on some stuff though and not just cancelling your goals so you can get the most out of all the brain stuffs you have going on. I find that sometimes my worst challenges end up being the most productive in terms of long term planning and success because of approaches like that. I love that you're looking at the big "why" for all your goals, especially realizing you can let go of some of your anxiety surrounding school.

Thanks dude - I think I'm finding that even though this challenge didn't see me directly accomplishing goals, it had me getting a lot of those insights that feed nicely into the future and what I want from my health.

And yay for dance going so well!!! I love hearing the news that you guys are progressing so much :)

:D yes - dance has truly been a light in the darkness these weeks - as has my incredible-and-supportive-beyond-what-I-could-ever-expect-from-a-friend dance partner.

The past couple days have been pretty eventful, mostly in a really good way!

Saturday: I literally spent the whole day away from home - brunch date, dance practice, a dance planning session, dinner / gelato / drinks with friends, and didn't get home til 2 am. I was tired the next day, but it filled my heart to get so much time with people who matter to me. Also, one of my newly close dance friends and I had a great chat about our mutual like of Brene Brown's work and it got me rethinking about how that applies so much to my own life. Especially relevant right now: the "Man in the Arena" quote from Teddy Roosevelt, and the idea of a "Wild Heart" - definitely still a work in progress there, but working on it!

Sunday: Kept it light for dance (probably necessary), got brunch with friends, and had a great chat with my dance coach about where I'm at in life - career, dance, and dating wise. Really dovetailed nicely with a lot of the thinking I've been doing about letting go of what doesn't really matter to me vs. what does. Also got a chance to catch up with one of my best friends from college - on our 10-year Facebook friendiversary no less

Monday: Pretty solid work day - nice and low-key and got some grad school work done, then had a great dance practice in the evening where it still feels like we're progressing really solidly. Also, my partner and I talked costuming for the upcoming season with our coach and I am CRAZY excited for the look we're going for - here's hoping it turns out as great as I'm picturing in my head. Also got confirmation that my physique is fine as is from a dance competitor lens (obvi it's fine for everyday life, but dance being an aesthetic competitive sport, how I look *is* a consideration for that).

Tuesday: Low key day at work and the dance studio, but I got a lot done at both. And then I started the first day with the college kids and OMG Y'ALL IT WAS AMAZING - a lot of them already know me from competitions so they were especially warm in welcoming me, and it was a productive first class for them (just the returning team members this week). Lots of learning happened, and I've very clearly carved out a teaching dynamic with them - I'm the mean but also hilarious coach who'll tell 'em how it is without the BS - it even included someone making a facebook post on their team's page about how amazing the new coach is. I still need to iron out the teaching dynamic with the other coaches, but give it time and it'll be good. Oh, and the loud shoes were a hit.

Overall, that chat with my coach plus a lot of reflecting has made me realize (or re-realize) (or just clarify) some things:

• Dance: is RIDICULOUSLY important to me - like, succeeding in my dance career is driving lots of other decisions in my life; I told my college bestie I thought that sounded insane and she countered that it's really not, it just feels that way to my rigidly planned, organized brain. Also, I LOVE teaching as a way to connect with people through a shared experience in something personally meaningful to both of us (that's literally the first time I've ever phrased it that way)
  • Work: I'm at a spot in my career where I don't *want* career advancement - at least, not at the expense of my work-life balance. And that's kind of an awesome space to be in, carving out my niche in the work world and knowing what I'm good at and how it's valuable to the companies that want to hire me.
  • Dating: I'm embracing *not* having an endgame for these things and just letting it happen as it happens - it's ok for me, especially in my twenties, to just roll with it as things happen and enjoy the ride
  • Fitness: I'm a semi pro athlete, and I have that level of conditioning and strength; while I can always push it, and I enjoy feeling the small spurts of growth, I don't need to be psycho about it; it's totes ok to get in one strength session a week (two if the stars align) and a few light morning workouts to get the blood flowing and call it good (plus, of course, maintenance stretching to address sore spots and smart warmups before intense dancing)
  • Nutrition: I'm in a similar boat here as in fitness - I have a physique that's great as is, I don't really need to be pushing myself to cut or bulk; I need to keep experimenting with an eating plan that works with my life, but I'm enjoying getting pre-prepped meals with veggies for at least some of my meals, then supplementing with tasty treats and/or the occasionally easy-to-prep meal. My schedule doesn't allow time to easily meal prep, and that's A-OK - I don't have to meal prep to be healthy, or to hit my financial goals (also, zero stress felt about vegetable spoilage now :) )
  • Friends: I really, really like the friends who are still around in my life, and I wanna keep reinvesting into those relationships - showing up fully when we spend time together, reaching out to maintain relationships, making plans with people and enjoying the f*** out of those plans

Basically, Dance and Personal Relationships really matter to me, everything else is just about making sure that I have the ability to keep participating in those two things. And that's really clarifying, and I can't wait to embrace it with a Wild Heart (or at least, a slightly less caged heart).

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Basically, Dance and Personal Relationships really matter to me, everything else is just about making sure that I have the ability to keep participating in those two things.

Your college bestie is completely right, this is not at all insane. It's actually completely normal - it's just the specifics of what is really important that is different between different people. You're unusual in that you have not only realized this, you have also identified the main two driving passions in your life. They're the fuel that makes the drudgery worth it - because working on those other things leads to being able to spend time and effort on what you love. You turn down promotions at work because more responsibility will drain more of your time and energy, which will interfere with your dancing. That is not only okay, it's the right thing to do for you. You should be proud of that. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Basically, Dance and Personal Relationships really matter to me, everything else is just about making sure that I have the ability to keep participating in those two things. And that's really clarifying, and I can't wait to embrace it with a Wild Heart (or at least, a slightly less caged heart).

Having Dance and Relationships at the centre of the pyramid* sounds most excellent. I don't know what a wild heart is, but it does sound better than a caged heart. Is it like the difference between chaotic good and lawful neutral? 

*Yes, I know that it's odd to put something at the centre of a pyramid (unless it's a tomb filled with riches and also deadly traps with scorpions in). But I couldn't decide whether the peak or the base of the pyramid would represent the most important part, symbolically speaking. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Yes, I know that it's odd to put something at the centre of a pyramid

Nonsense. That's where the realpower is.

il_794xN.1250180873_94c7.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Nonsense. That's where the realpower is.

I didn't realise, but this diagram has convinced me. Now I know. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Harriet said:

Having Dance and Relationships at the centre of the pyramid* sounds most excellent. I don't know what a wild heart is, but it does sound better than a caged heart. Is it like the difference between chaotic good and lawful neutral? 

Not exactly - here's a quote that I believe is straight from her book, unless google led me astray: “The mark of a wild heart is living out the paradox of love in our lives. It's the ability to be tough and tender, excited and scared, brave and afraid -- all in the same moment. It's showing up in our vulnerability and our courage, being both fierce and kind.”

So basically, it's all about giving myself permission to feel all the emotions and grapple with them honestly. Rather than repressing them until they come bursting forth, which is my usual (though as I've gotten older, I've been able to hold onto the repressed ones even longer - which is arguably *not* a good thing).

14 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Yay on your reflecting!!!! what huge realizations :) 

:D

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Count me as one of your Brene Brown liking friends. 

I just learned this, but I'm not at all surprised.

16 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Your college bestie is completely right, this is not at all insane. It's actually completely normal - it's just the specifics of what is really important that is different between different people. You're unusual in that you have not only realized this, you have also identified the main two driving passions in your life. They're the fuel that makes the drudgery worth it - because working on those other things leads to being able to spend time and effort on what you love. You turn down promotions at work because more responsibility will drain more of your time and energy, which will interfere with your dancing. That is not only okay, it's the right thing to do for you. You should be proud of that. :)

:)  now I just need to remember that the next time they try to offer me a promotion and increase my responsibilities!

• Like 2

Also, report out on yesterday: didn't do a whole lot, at work or afterwards. Teaching my little kids' class was, like most days, the highlight. They're truly the brightest spots in almost every week - love my little (and not so little) dancers. Ran a couple quick errands after dance, then got home, shut the blinds, turned on low lights, and very quickly wound down for bed. I was starting to fall asleep before 9 and it was glorious. Also, self care ice cream sandwiches were had and they were delicious and soothing for all the *feelings* I've had swirling around my brain and my heart these days.

Today's the end of review week with the college kids - should be a blast!

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

And then I started the first day with the college kids and OMG Y'ALL IT WAS AMAZING - a lot of them already know me from competitions so they were especially warm in welcoming me, and it was a productive first class for them (just the returning team members this week). Lots of learning happened, and I've very clearly carved out a teaching dynamic with them - I'm the mean but also hilarious coach who'll tell 'em how it is without the BS - it even included someone making a facebook post on their team's page about how amazing the new coach is. I still need to iron out the teaching dynamic with the other coaches, but give it time and it'll be good. Oh, and the loud shoes were a hit.

Love love love. It sounds like you're all going to have an amazing time, and I'm so excited for you.

23 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Overall, that chat with my coach plus a lot of reflecting has made me realize (or re-realize) (or just clarify) some things:

[SNIPPED ALL OF THE GOOD SHIT]

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611da6c240742f09310bb

Oh my god, this is such, such good introspection and framing for you. You have come SO FAR in this! I'm so glad you have lovely people to talk through these things with and come out so strong and healthy with such great perspective on what matters to you about where you are now and where you want to be -- just completely BUSTING UP some of those expectations and thoughts of what you thought you had to or have to be. And side note that growth happens everywhere and in so many surprising forms and you're getting a hell of a lot of it without needing to get it from your current Muggle job! 

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2019 at 4:02 PM, raptron said:

Love love love. It sounds like you're all going to have an amazing time, and I'm so excited for you.

For. Freaking. Sure! 

On 8/29/2019 at 4:02 PM, raptron said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611da6c240742f09310bb

Oh my god, this is such, such good introspection and framing for you. You have come SO FAR in this! I'm so glad you have lovely people to talk through these things with and come out so strong and healthy with such great perspective on what matters to you about where you are now and where you want to be -- just completely BUSTING UP some of those expectations and thoughts of what you thought you had to or have to be. And side note that growth happens everywhere and in so many surprising forms and you're getting a hell of a lot of it without needing to get it from your current Muggle job! 

OMG dude, I legit teared up a little reading your post - the gif doesn't help. But you nailed it, it's been really hard letting myself not meet expectations I created in myself or inferred from others on what I should want / pursue, career/professional achievement wise. Still very much a work in progress, but I am really enjoying the journey, mostly. :D

On 8/30/2019 at 6:00 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I just loooooove all these positive changes lately, you've developed so so much and it's very beautiful changes.

Thank you thank you!! It's been great having this community here as a sounding board, cheering section, and occasionally bullshit-callout-brigade when I really need that.

This weekend was....a lot! But mostly good:

• Thursday evening second day with the college kids was a bit rough - I walked in on the heels of a full-blown anxiety meltdown Thursday afternoon and as a result was a lot less gentle than I like to be as a coach; I think I know a couple chemical plus mental things that contributed that I'll be actively trying to mitigate in the future, but this is definitely a work in progress area for me
  • Hibernated on Friday after a productive dance lesson / practice and it was totes needed - also, I am getting super stoked for all the action and musicality we're adding to our samba, really hoping it shows up in a cool way on the floor
  • Saturday, had a solid dance practice, helped out with a newbies' dance lesson, grabbed a drink with a fellow coach on the team, and then hosted a buncha friends for a housewarming party that went til about 1:30 at night. I *definitely* had too much to drink, but my friends are super chill about things so it wasn't a big deal.
  • Sunday kicked off with the roughest dance rounds ever (both partner and I were FEELING the effects of our Saturday night choices) but we survived. I napped and did some errands, then went to a pool party / game night where I struck up a really nice conversation with one of the other guests - I'm cautiously optimistic that I just made a new friend!
  • Monday I did some teaching prep for this week's college classes, went to a birthday brunch for a friend (where I ate tooooo many delicious cinnamon rolls), then had dance practice and teaching afterwards. There was some drama I was sorting through as well, but thankfully, conversations were had, I acknowledged my part in causing some issues, and a helpful resolution was reached.

Reflecting on Monday's drama, it was part of a recurring theme of things that drive me into a crazy elevated level of emotions and cause me to do really dumb, irrational, lash out-y things (thankfully, I'm getting slightly better at calling SOMEONE rather than just letting my emotions completely stew once I realize I've taken the train to crazy town). One of them is feeling like I'm powerless in a situation where something I care about is negatively affected, the other is feeling like I'm being condescended to. I haven't yet gotten to the point where I can recognize in the moment and stop myself from careening over the edge, but at least now I can recognize after the fact what led me to a particular end situation. We'll take the little bits of growth where we can get them!

Oh, and I got in a SOLID upper body day this morning - still making steady progress on dip, chin up, and core strength (along with rings play stuff).

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I haven't yet gotten to the point where I can recognize in the moment and stop myself from careening over the edge, but at least now I can recognize after the fact what led me to a particular end situation. We'll take the little bits of growth where we can get them!

Excellent work. I think with emotional stuff the jump between step 1: not knowing what's happening at all, and step 2: recognising what happened after the fact, is bigger than the jump to steps 3: recognising what's happening in the moment, and step 4: learning to address it faster in the moment. Carry on excellently. 

• Like 2

sounds like some fun and really productive things over the weekend! my recent approach to drama has been more along the lines of "we are adults, let's deal with it or not be friends" lol either way it eliminates the drama...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Harriet said:

Excellent work. I think with emotional stuff the jump between step 1: not knowing what's happening at all, and step 2: recognising what happened after the fact, is bigger than the jump to steps 3: recognising what's happening in the moment, and step 4: learning to address it faster in the moment. Carry on excellently. 

Here's hoping! Cause it took a lot of work to get to here haha.

38 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

sounds like some fun and really productive things over the weekend! my recent approach to drama has been more along the lines of "we are adults, let's deal with it or not be friends" lol either way it eliminates the drama...

Oh yes, that's my approach to most drama. This is the sort that is intractable with that approach, but I'd prefer not to elaborate more, publicly at least. (Happy to DM if you wanna talk about it)

Tuesday update: Did the work thing, taught 4.5 hours of dance classes, came home BUZZING with energy from teaching the college kids. Really feel good about the decision to get involved with their team.

• Like 5

It sounds like you're having some super awesome revelations this challenge, and they keep getting more and more in depth and beneficial for you so that's really great :)

Sorry you're having some Emotions , but it's good you're learning to recognize what triggers this so maybe in the long run it can be something you can soothe on the spot.  But also, keep in mind that some things are triggering because they deserve to be so don't beat yourself up for having strong reactions to things that may rightly be so, if that makes sense.

I'm loving hearing about your coaching with the college kids! That's so darn cool! And yay samba!

• Thanks 1