• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jean

Jean goes tactical on life's face!

22 hours ago, Jean said:

I went to see my GP and I LIKE this guy! He first told me that waiting 14 days to come and see him was A-OK, then that, indeed, coming to get a diagnosis after that wasn't wrong. He doesn't overmedicate, he is GREAT! I'm having a cold that infected slightly, by the way. It's on the way to recovery (though not quite there already).

Alrighty, sounds good re: the doctor and recovery from said cold.

22 hours ago, Jean said:

I can run again (though I get tired pretty quickly). I've started with 6' and I'll build it back up 2' at a time.

Is that six feet? That's a pretty short run, but hey. It's more than I do. 

1 hour ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Also, please do tell us more of this pork curry. Asking for a friend of course.  >.>

Well, it's pork, slowly panned, with strong curry powder and vegetable broth, and fennel, and carrots, and a bit of chili pepper, and olives, and pineapples, and some flour bathed in olive oil and more curry powder and milk slowly reduced to make the sauce, and rice. I'm making some more tomorrow, I'll try to take pictures.* :)

*I don't vouch for any of the vocabulary used here, technical cooking words aren't my forte.

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

There, now it's accurate. :P

Thanks! And I wouldn't know, there's not a lot of stuff I've punched in the face. Is it really? What should I try next? :D

41 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Is that six feet? That's a pretty short run, but hey. It's more than I do. 

6 minutes, I'm measuring time and not distance. Wikipedia says I'm misusing it, I'm giving it that. You've got me interested, though, a six feet run does have some kind of awesome ring to it!

The cool thing with the doctor is that it's our neighbourly town practitioner. I had kind of a bad idea of him from our two previous appointments (for a check-up when I moved here). I'm taking it all back, he's pretty awesome (especially since we have some other side business running where I'm meant to have the road to his house remade on which I'm late and it didn't interfer a bit with the appointment - he seems pretty reasonable with these kind of things too).

I've tried running for 8 minutes today. It was interrupted by coughing but I'll still count it as a whole 8 minutes. It's way better than when I had to stop and couldn't start again (because my tummy was all messed up).

Tuesday, August 27th:

Lights out by 10 pm: yes. Success.

Hours and expenses registered: yup. I'm still one day behind to have it fully done but it's still a Success.

Expenses tracked: yes. Success.

Time spent on spreadsheet: seconds. Success.

Time spent running: 8'. Target is still 15' Failure.

Unofficials:

Not today!

23 hours ago, Jean said:

More about it hopefully tomorrow.

Nope! xD

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Jean said:

Well, it's pork, slowly panned, with strong curry powder and vegetable broth, and fennel, and carrots, and a bit of chili pepper, and olives, and pineapples, and some flour bathed in olive oil and more curry powder and milk slowly reduced to make the sauce, and rice. I'm making some more tomorrow, I'll try to take pictures.* :)

Yummm. I demand those pictures!

Pics taken but I don't have my working cable with me to put them on the computer so it'll have to wait 'till tomorrow. I've been a little heavy on oil so the aspect isn't as yummy as it could have been but it's delicious all the same.

Running has been interrupted by coughing. Maybe I should get the sirup prescribed by the doctor... Who am I kidding here, I know I won't. xD

Wednesday, August 28th:

Hours and expenses registered: nope (endend the day away from my desk without access to the right software, I'll have to do it early tomorrow). Failure.

Time spent running: 4'. Failure.

Unofficials:

3*6 Bodyweight rows.

Scout's mini week 5 hollow holds (I'll call them that but they're really only half or quarter hollow... pretty heavy on the abs so still good in my book.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jean said:

Running has been interrupted by coughing. Maybe I should get the sirup prescribed by the doctor... Who am I kidding here, I know I won't. xD

I think you can get cough suppressants without a prescription, can't you? But I would usually only take them if coughing was keeping me awake at night. Otherwise, it's good to cough up stuff. I think? I'm not sure though. 

• Like 2

So, delicious curry.

IMG_20190828_210201_2.thumb.jpg.d925d6800d683f8a4b32c3ffd6c7dbb1.jpg

The small points are excess oil, don't let it fool you, once it's mixed with the rice, it looks AND tastes great. You'll have to forgive me for the quality of the pictures (both poor light and skills at it). I'm putting it under spoiler because pictures (and loading times, not sure if it helps at all but who knows?).

You need:

Chopped pork - chicken breasts are awesome too.
Whatever veggies suit your fancy (I've used fennel, carrots and green beans, cauliflowers would have been awesome too).
Whatever fruits suit your fancy (I've used canned pineapples and olives but peaches, apricots, prunes, cherries and apples are all awesome).
Chili pepper (garlic would have been great too, you can also add herbs to suit your fancy).
Curry powder.
Vegetable broth powder.
Your favourite brand of rice.
Oil (I like olive oil myself).
Milk.
Flour.
Salt for the rice (not pictured below).

ETA: Cooking appliances : 1 pan+lid, 1 saucepan+lid, 1 knife (make yourself a treat and buy a good quality sharp one, 90% of the pleasure of cooking comes from the knife), 1 cutting board, 1 wooden spatula (wooden appliances are better than steel ones for cooking) a few bowls (fully optional: you can put the vegetables/fruits in the pan as you cut them).

IMG_20190828_194256_2.thumb.jpg.1946e20a3472da0f4d5c401e1b3394cd.jpg

1. Slow cook the pork in a pan with the chili pepper, curry powder and olive oil (don't be shy on quantities at this stage, it's adding a lot more later that got me) until it gets brown.
IMG_20190828_194534_2.thumb.jpg.fc50aad898413b7e8066f967c6101b3d.jpgIMG_20190828_200218_2.thumb.jpg.b9e95d25a0aa991633c2edd6b4f235c2.jpg

2. Use the time to slice the fruits and vegetables.
IMG_20190828_200148_2.thumb.jpg.e260c8417a619f45210d48dda3ad17dc.jpg

3. Add the vegetables to the pan, powder the vegetable broth on it.
IMG_20190828_200326_2.thumb.jpg.2bcfba3ddd3db51d753a86e6353724dc.jpg

4. Put a lid on the pan, let it cook slowly until the vegetables are soft yet firm (it took me roughly 40 minutes). If you've put enough oil, the juices will mix together and it won't burn. Use this time to cook the rice too (I'm counting roughly 20 minutes for it).
IMG_20190828_200518_2.thumb.jpg.ba4869c9289e2a78384ac728ddf8bdfb.jpgIMG_20190828_204300_2.thumb.jpg.09fab2d9ac343964f9f8e1260505e993.jpg

5. When it's all perfect according to your teeth, dig a pool and put some flour in it. This will help reducing the sauce. Adding some oil helps but you shouldn't put half a bottle of it as I did (slight exaggeration, here, but you get the meaning). Let it cook for a few seconds (make that 30s - 1min).
IMG_20190828_204416_2.thumb.jpg.4c36c7fc465717bb02dedac4c981017d.jpg

6. Pour milk in the pan, add some more curry powder for good measure and let it reduce slowly until you like the texture of the sauce. If you wait for too long, the milk might make lumps but you should still let it reduce some time (I've left it 3 minutes myself).
IMG_20190828_204616_2.thumb.jpg.cc4d3d2e2e122ed553455284c4f278c1.jpgIMG_20190828_210018_2.thumb.jpg.1d1cb5f6876f89b3afdc27ea8417a64d.jpg

7. Dress the rice and the curry in a dish/plate, box the rest for your next few meals and you're set. Bon Appétit! :D

IMG_20190828_210201_2.thumb.jpg.a0b80b57ad8538ef04d6123ee898bf3e.jpg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jean said:

So, delicious curry.

The small points are excess oil, don't let it fool you, once it's mixed with the rice, it looks AND tastes great. You'll have to forgive me for the quality of the pictures (both poor light and skills at it). I'm putting it under spoiler because pictures (and loading times, not sure if it helps at all but who knows?).

Reveal hidden contents

You need:

Chopped pork - chicken breasts are awesome too.
Whatever veggies suit your fancy (I've used fennel, carrots and green beans, cauliflowers would have been awesome too).
Whatever fruits suit your fancy (I've used canned pineapples and olives but peaches, apricots, prunes, cherries and apples are all awesome).
Chili pepper (garlic would have been great too, you can also add herbs to suit your fancy).
Curry powder.
Vegetable broth powder.
Your favourite brand of rice.
Oil (I like olive oil myself).
Milk.
Flour.
Salt for the rice (not pictured below).

ETA: Cooking appliances : 1 pan+lid, 1 saucepan+lid, 1 knife (make yourself a treat and buy a good quality sharp one, 90% of the pleasure of cooking comes from the knife), 1 cutting board, a few bowls (fully optional: you can put the vegetables/fruits in the pan as you cut them).

IMG_20190828_194256_2.thumb.jpg.1946e20a3472da0f4d5c401e1b3394cd.jpg

1. Slow cook the pork in a pan with the chili pepper, curry powder and olive oil (don't be shy on quantities at this stage, it's adding a lot more later that got me) until it gets brown.
IMG_20190828_194534_2.thumb.jpg.fc50aad898413b7e8066f967c6101b3d.jpgIMG_20190828_200218_2.thumb.jpg.b9e95d25a0aa991633c2edd6b4f235c2.jpg

2. Use the time to slice the fruits and vegetables.
IMG_20190828_200148_2.thumb.jpg.e260c8417a619f45210d48dda3ad17dc.jpg

3. Add the vegetables to the pan, powder the vegetable broth on it.
IMG_20190828_200326_2.thumb.jpg.2bcfba3ddd3db51d753a86e6353724dc.jpg

4. Put a lid on the pan, let it cook slowly until the vegetables are soft yet firm (it took me roughly 40 minutes). If you've put enough oil, the juices will mix together and it won't burn. Use this time to cook the rice too (I'm counting roughly 20 minutes for it).
IMG_20190828_200518_2.thumb.jpg.ba4869c9289e2a78384ac728ddf8bdfb.jpgIMG_20190828_204300_2.thumb.jpg.09fab2d9ac343964f9f8e1260505e993.jpg

5. When it's all perfect according to your teeth, dig a pool and put some flour in it. This will help reducing the sauce. Adding some oil helps but you shouldn't put half a bottle of it as I did (slight exaggeration, here, but you get the meaning). Let it cook for a few seconds (make that 30s - 1min).
IMG_20190828_204416_2.thumb.jpg.4c36c7fc465717bb02dedac4c981017d.jpg

6. Pour milk in the pan, add some more curry powder for good measure and let it reduce slowly until you like the texture of the sauce. If you wait for too long, the milk might make lumps but you should still let it reduce some time (I've left it 3 minutes myself).
IMG_20190828_204616_2.thumb.jpg.cc4d3d2e2e122ed553455284c4f278c1.jpgIMG_20190828_210018_2.thumb.jpg.1d1cb5f6876f89b3afdc27ea8417a64d.jpg

7. Dress the rice and the curry in a dish/plate, box the rest for your next few meals and you're set. Bon Appétit! :D

IMG_20190828_210201_2.thumb.jpg.a0b80b57ad8538ef04d6123ee898bf3e.jpg

YUM! This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jean said:

ETA: Cooking appliances : 1 pan+lid, 1 saucepan+lid, 1 knife (make yourself a treat and buy a good quality sharp one, 90% of the pleasure of cooking comes from the knife)

This is so completely true it cannot be said often or emphatically enough! I would add, that if you do treat yourself to a great knife, treat the knife to honing steel or sharpener as well. Take care of the precious thing.

EDIT: I also request the knife is included in future cooking pictures! :)

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 9:49 PM, Harriet said:

I think you can get cough suppressants without a prescription, can't you?

Yup, it's just that I was with the doctor and I guess that when he writes something down, he makes a prescription. I've not bought it, though, even though the coughing is sometimes pretty problematic. I guess I'll see how it goes. I've stopped running for now since it doesn't seem to synergise very well with my illness.

And so, I am late to logging:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Friday, August 30th:

Hours and expenses registered: yup. I'm still one day behind to have it fully done but it's still a Success.

Time spent running: nope. Failure.

Unofficials:

3*6 Bodyweight rows.

Scout's mini week 5 hollow holds.

Thursday, August 29th:

Hours and expenses registered: nope. Failure.

Time spent running: nay. Failure.

Unofficials:

Nope!

And, more by memory than by any measure of precision:

Thursday, August 22nd:

Lights out by 10 pm: hahahahah! No! Failure.

Unofficials:

Niet.

Friday, August 23rd:

Lights out by 10 pm: nope! Failure.

Hours and expenses registered: yup. Success.

Unofficials:

3*6 inverted rows.

Scouts mini yoga routine.

Saturday, August 24th:

Lights out by 10 pm: yup. Success.

Vineyard: yup. Success.

Time spent running: nope! Failure.

Unofficials:

Nope.

Sunday, August 25th:

Lights out by 10 pm: yup. Success.

Unofficials:

3*6 inverted rows.

Scouts mini yoga routine.

• Like 2

Updating before I forget, the knife's pic will come later.

Saturday, August 31st:

Lights out by 10 pm: nope. Failure.

Vineyard: nope (I've hidden behing the idea I could do double work on Sunday. Spoiler alert: I didn't). Failure.

Time spent on spreadsheet: 1 hour (it was end of month tracking day). Success.

Unofficials:

Nope.

Sunday, September 1st:

Vineyard: nope. Failure.

Time spent on spreadsheet: 30 min (end of month planning, I'm counting it as allowed). Success.

Unofficials:

3*6 inverted bodyweight rows.

Scout's mini hollow holds.

Monday, September 2nd:

Lights out by 10 pm: nope (barely missed). Failure.

Unofficials:

Nope!

Sleep and the vineyard are falling off track. I'll focus on the sleep for the end of the week and use a magic trick on the vineyard on Saturday.

• Like 3

Back to basics: playing it smart. I've felt totally overwhelmed and unefficient this morning so I'm taking the afternoon off. Both my phones are closed, there ain't no professional email able to reach me either. I'm using this time to rest and do the things I have to do for myself and keep postponing because I'm never in the right mood:

- solve my credit card extra fees problem.

- think about my internet site and see if I can further it a bit.

- do some decluttering.

Taking it slow, there'll always be time for panic tomorrow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jean said:

Back to basics: playing it smart. I've felt totally overwhelmed and unefficient this morning so I'm taking the afternoon off. Both my phones are closed, there ain't no professional email able to reach me either. I'm using this time to rest and do the things I have to do for myself and keep postponing because I'm never in the right mood:

- solve my credit card extra fees problem.

- think about my internet site and see if I can further it a bit.

- do some decluttering.

Taking it slow, there'll always be time for panic tomorrow.

Taking a chill day in order to get some needed R&R is a good thing. 

• Like 1

Hey, sounds like you're struggling to meet the goals you set for yourself. That happens to me sometimes, too. *shrug* Not really sure if it the goals' fault or mine but I just keep trying. Hope you get some rest and recharge. 

• Thanks 1

I feel like it's mainly a matter of me not really wanting to truly pursue the goals I fail to achieve (meaning, I'm prioritizing other things and they get dropped out as a consequence).

For example, the vineyard doesn't look like something I really want in my life. I mean, I like it, but faced between finding the energy to go for it or doing other things during my weekend, I'm ending up doing other things.

Sleeping isn't prioritized because I'm feeling like I don't have time for myself and I'm used to take said time on the night, so I prioritize time for myself over sleep, which puts in light what my true focus is.

And running is no longer a goal for this challenge, I'm waiting until I've stopped coughing to get back to it.

All in all, I've taken some distance with giving it a real try these past weeks, the new start next challenge should help taking things better in hand (it's still a good run if you ask me, mind you, but I could do more).

The real epiphany has come this weekend: I'm in a good place financially, and finances are one of my big hidden goals that takes precedence over pretty much everything else. The place where I'm not in a good position is professionaly. I mean, I've got a good job, I've got a lot of freedom but I don't seem to be able to make the workload sustainable and I end up dedicating much more of my life to it than I'm really willing to, and, while having a good pay, it's not paying me enough to make very early retirement an option, so I need something sustainable or I'll let a good part of my life go to waste. I'll spend some time reflecting on it next challenge.

As it seems, my real goals right now are:

Stay current with registering my hours at work (I've had some misses but I tend to put a high priority on it).

Keeping my expenses low (registering them while not spending too much time on the spreadsheet).

Doing the pull-up progression (the inverted bodyweight rows. While the progress doesn't show, I feel it's becoming easier. I've still not fully recovered from the illness but I should be able to try for sets of 7 soonish).

I've also realised that I've been pretty drained by this year. As far as I'm concerned, it's already over (2020 is here mates! Wohoo!). There's not a second for a new profesionnal task I can put in it (but they'll still come and I'll have to use my energy to push them aside. Funny how people won't take "What you're asking can't be done in the next 6 months" for an answer but still consider it awful when you end up giving them a term to get them to hang up and you end up not making good on it (guys, I've spent 15 minutes on the phone telling you it couldn't be done and you wouldn't call it a day. When I've given you a fake term, you've hang up and I have been able to perform the other tasks that I must do and that are preventing me to put a higher priority on what you want to be done. You don't work for free, I don't work for free and I especially don't work for free 20 hours a day just so that I can avoid $300'000 of damage on your home that you, yourself, have full ability to prevent by putting on the table the cash someone wanting to deal with real estate should have put aside for just such an occasion).

Today was a good call, though I'd need more than a week of quiet time to really recover.

Tuesday, September 3rd:

Lights out by 10 pm: nope (missed by something like 30 min). Failure.

Hours and expenses registered: nope, I had planned on going back to work in the afternoon, at first. I'm doing it first thing tomorrow. Failure.

Time spent on spreadsheet: roughly 10 minutes, fun things should be doable in 2020, really looking forward to it. Success.

Unofficials:

Papers filing (a huge win, theses things were everywhere in the house and some of them are pretty important).

Credit cards situation made pretty rad (I've made what needed to be done to avoid some fees and should soon have better cashbacks than I previously had). :)

The internet site is in a good enough shape for me to start adding real content but I don't feel very enlightenend right now, so I don't have a thought to add to it. There again, I need to take some distance with work and some real rest before being efficient again at it.

• Like 4

Apparently, I'm clogging my throat during the night and my body tries to expel it  from the morning onward. I didn't cough this morning, though, so this is likely over soon.

On another note, I'm still mentally very weak (it's time to get back to work from lunch break and I've decided to take one more hour because I just don't want to face what's waiting for me there). I don't know how to play it smart and get myself back in a working fighting shape. There are good aspects to it, though, since I'm now loudly sending people back to their responsibilities when they annoy me with something I can't put in my timetable and they still insist on it being both important and urgent during 15 minutes (hint: if there's not a reasonable chance that someone might die because of it, it's not important enough - I'm thinking of pinning something like that on my door).

Writing down these things usually helps me come up with a solution. We'll see how it goes this time.

• Like 2

Allright, I'm back in business. I know it because I woke up with a I want to feel powerful, dammit! roar.

That meant back to running. I've managed 8 minutes before having too much so that's a start, I'll have to work back on it. I'll not reach my sleep goal tonight because I'm volunteering at an ultratrail event and let me tell you: I was figuring the efficient runner as a somewhat skinny, lean person but these guys and gals are BUFF! All the more motivation to get going with taking care of my body.

So:

Wednesday, September 4th:

Unofficials:

nope.

Thursday, September 5th:

Lights out by 10 pm: Yup! :D Success.

Time spent running: 8'. Failure.

Unofficials:

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Jean said:

Allright, I'm back in business. I know it because I woke up with a I want to feel powerful, dammit! roar.

Awesome. Get after it! 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Jean said:

but these guys and gals are BUFF!

I take it back. The first ones, who have made a ton of training and built a real ability to run through mountains with stormy weather at a solid 7.5 km/h (4.66 mph) for 360 km (223.7 mi) straight look totally buff. The last ones who lack the pure physical ability to go through it and still hang on due to sheer strength of an iron mind wraped in titanium underpants look like limping zombies with bloody feet who somehow find the unbelievable will to put their shoes back on their soaking feet and go for what amounts to a marathon after having already done 8 of them in 5 days.

I don't know if I should be amazed by their stubborness carrying them through this all or horrified at their apparent madness.

I'm getting back there tonight. There'll be the last of the limping ones together with the fresh best runners who are "only" doing the 170 km (105.6 mi) trail and won't even bother to sleep during it. It's going to be quite the experience!

I've dropped all my goals for today (I've still registered my hours and expenses), I'll start again and log it all tomorrow. For the time being, I'm just too flabbergasted to post a mundane report.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2019 at 3:30 PM, Jean said:

I know it because I woke up with a I want to feel powerful, dammit! roar.

That meant back to running.

Yes! LOVE that you equate a "powerful dammit roar" with Running!! As it should be my friend :-)

On 9/6/2019 at 11:16 AM, Jean said:

I take it back. The first ones, who have made a ton of training and built a real ability to run through mountains with stormy weather at a solid 7.5 km/h (4.66 mph) for 360 km (223.7 mi) straight look totally buff. The last ones who lack the pure physical ability to go through it and still hang on due to sheer strength of an iron mind wraped in titanium underpants look like limping zombies with bloody feet who somehow find the unbelievable will to put their shoes back on their soaking feet and go for what amounts to a marathon after having already done 8 of them in 5 days.

I don't know if I should be amazed by their stubborness carrying them through this all or horrified at their apparent madness.

I'm getting back there tonight. There'll be the last of the limping ones together with the fresh best runners who are "only" doing the 170 km (105.6 mi) trail and won't even bother to sleep during it. It's going to be quite the experience!

So cool that you are volunteering. I didn't do it this year, but the last two summers I volunteered at our "local" (a 4-hr drive) 100 miler.

Yeah, what you describe is pretty damned accurate. We call the back of the pack "the carnage." A lot of those people still trained really hard and are still really fit, just not in the same league with the frontrunners.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 11:14 AM, Jean said:

So, delicious curry.

Hide contents

OMG I love curry! How did I miss this? It looks so good! 

• Like 1

So, assessment time:

The Mission

Get the number of additional hours I owe to HR down to zero.

Hohoho, yes!

giphy.gif

Register every hour worked. Write down any work related expense.

I'm up to date, so yes.

giphy.gif

Have the vineyard ready for picking by the end of this challenge.

I have cheated big time by grabbing big shears and cutting everything that stood out instead of doing it properly (which is armfull to the vine) but the vineyard is ready, so yes.

giphy.gif

Be in a better financial shape at the end of this challenge than at the start.

I've gifted some good money to an association whose project I deemed worth pursuing so, no (though the metrics point otherwise in the right direction).

tenor.gif?itemid=12180593

Be alive to tell the tale.

Guess what? I am! :D

tenor.gif

The metrics below just for funsies:

Metrics

Global

Expenses tracked: 100%

Time spent on spreadsheet: 100% (pretty sure I've missed a negative record, here)

Time spent running 20% (no surprise here)

Lights out: 57%

Working days

Hours >9: 100%

Hours and expenses registered: 76%

Weekends

Vineyard: 44%

All in all, a pretty good run. Now to rebuild myself into a functional human beeing... I'll be with the Druids next challenge.

Have fun everybody and thanks for having been there for the ride!

ETA: forgot to log the last days:

Friday, September 6th:

Time spent running: 8'. Failure.

Unofficials:

nope.

Saturday, September 7th:

Lights out by 10 pm: oh boy no! Failure.

Unofficials:

nope.

Sunday, September 8th:

Lights out by 10 pm: hahaha! Failure.

Time spent running: 8' Failure.

Unofficials:

• Like 4