• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

miss_marissa

Miss Marissa new house, new routine

On 8/8/2019 at 7:14 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

May I suggest to you that you have lifted heavy for a long time, and KBs could be a good change of pace for a while? After a bit you can go back to lifting heavy, and KBs are not an expensive investment. Also, if you do find a gym with good equipment but lacking coaches, I hear rumors that NF has a pretty good coaching program.

It's been over 6 months since I've lifted heavy, so I am itching to return to it. I still have KBs play a part of my lifting even when I do lift heavy or not. They're not super expensive, just a lot on top of the home ownership expenses - as I'm sure you are also aware of how that goes.

I am not interested in NF coaching.

On 8/8/2019 at 7:45 PM, Curl Brogo said:

I really liked Capital Fitness while I was in Madison. I never had much trouble getting a power rack, and (at the time at least) yoga classes were included with membership. I think they also had other group classes like spin, and crosstraining and such. And they had massage sessions (not included with membership).

Also, their W. Washington Ave location had a bar beneath it... it was in fact a part of the gym...  and it was not a juice bar... yay Wisconsin.

Capital would be perfect if the location was more convenient. If I lived closer it would be nice, but having to drive downtown, park, drive back to west side, etc just doesn't seem logical

On 8/9/2019 at 7:51 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

It does sound like you've got a bit of analysis paralysis buuut you keep coming back to and saying "i want to lift again" which option is going to get you what you want? you can probably cross a few options off the list just by that logic alone. there are also apps for programming if you end up going the closer, cheaper gym route. you'd be lifting again, could use a free app, and then decide if you wanted a coach to program for you.

giphy.gif

(sorry i had to!!)

Yea, I've also purchased a few programs in the past that I could reuse. Or I would feel confident enough at this point to do my own programming, it would just take a bit of planning and effort.

On 8/9/2019 at 9:57 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

If I ever live in or visit Wisconsin I will be excited about: Cheese, Brats, and Beer.

you and your family are welcome to visit any time and stay in the guest room :) I suggest not coming November-March though

Week 1 summary:

1) play frisbee x1 time, play softball x1 time, other workouts x3 times minimum

I played frisbee x2, softball x1, and other workouts x3 (i think)

2) plan out some meals and go grocery shopping

I did this! I made the instapot pork courtesy of @Raxie then threw that bad boy in some enchiladas, half for this week, half for the freezer. I also made some black bean and mushroom enchiladas. Also on the menu: shakshuka, egg salad sandwiches, and salad kits + lunchmeat.

3) I have 3 tubs of stuff from my parent's house. unpack or consolidate to 2. some of it is probably trash, but I need to go through it all to know for sure. (stuff from high school and before)

I did not do this, but I did take 2 of the 3 tubs in from my car to the house.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

you and your family are welcome to visit any time and stay in the guest room :) I suggest not coming November-March though

Conversely, that's exactly when I recommend visiting down here, where you are also welcome :) 

(Actually, you're probably ok April, May, October, or even September in a good year.

• Like 1

Week 2 goals

1) play frisbee x1+ time, other workouts x3 times minimum

2) read something not on a screen every day - book, comic, journal paper, ;etc

3) Rollover goal - I have 3 tubs of stuff from my parent's house. unpack or consolidate to 2. some of it is probably trash, but I need to go through it all to know for sure. (stuff from high school and before)

4) Decide on what I want to do for week 3 moving forward for workouts. 

• Like 4

On 8/12/2019 at 5:27 PM, miss_marissa said:

Week 2 goals

1) play frisbee x1+ time, other workouts x3 times minimum

2) read something not on a screen every day - book, comic, journal paper, ;etc

3) Rollover goal - I have 3 tubs of stuff from my parent's house. unpack or consolidate to 2. some of it is probably trash, but I need to go through it all to know for sure. (stuff from high school and before)

4) Decide on what I want to do for week 3 moving forward for workouts. 

I started the week strong but towards the end of the week felt like I was fighting something off. Not that I was sick, but that there was a chance I could be getting sick? Spent most of the weekend curled up watching TV. Finished Stranger Things Season 3, She-Ra Season 3 and then just napped a lot

Spoiler

The problem has since been determined that it was my period.

With that said goals did not get accomplished. Played frisbee 1x, other workouts 1x only. Read some comic books. 

I reached out to old crossfit coach about starting up again and she left me on read... sooooo there's that

The call with movement coaches on Monday also did NOT go as I expected. But very neat/interesting things happening. Gonna keep to myself for now.

All in all not a productive week. Let's chalk it up to a wash and try again this week folks.

• Like 8

you took care of yourself and did some reaching out regarding your next move on a gym choice. (i'm guessing you also went to work all week and fed yourself and washed yourself, etc.) some weeks it's harder to just get the baseline survival things done! onward :) 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

I started the week strong but towards the end of the week felt like I was fighting something off. Not that I was sick, but that there was a chance I could be getting sick? Spent most of the weekend curled up watching TV. Finished Stranger Things Season 3, She-Ra Season 3 and then just napped a lot

Hide contents

The problem has since been determined that it was my period.

loool. Sounds about right.

I reached out to old crossfit coach about starting up again and she left me on read... sooooo there's that

giphy.gif

All in all not a productive week. Let's chalk it up to a wash and try again this week folks.

Restart is good! :)

On 8/19/2019 at 3:24 PM, miss_marissa said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hah sounds about right. It's funny how we never get used to this???? :|

On 8/19/2019 at 2:33 PM, CourtnieMarie said:

you took care of yourself and did some reaching out regarding your next move on a gym choice. (i'm guessing you also went to work all week and fed yourself and washed yourself, etc.) some weeks it's harder to just get the baseline survival things done! onward :) 

Thank you <3

On 8/20/2019 at 12:36 PM, raptron said:

loool. Sounds about right.

giphy.gif

Restart is good! :)

:D

14 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Hah sounds about right. It's funny how we never get used to this???? :|

Ha I mean, to be fair I don't have a regular cycle so it was not predicted. I was just like... oh oh yea, that is what this feeling is. Yep that tracks.

This week has started to turn around a bit from the weekend.

Monday was a massage with my massage therapist that was much needed. I also then did a workout at home in the evening. J and I grabbed dinner at a local bar which was sub-par, but it was nice to get out with him for a bit, as we don't get to do that often. I think I also read comics.

Tuesday left work a bit early because I had a meeting for my volunteer gig. Very useful/productive. Then there was end of the summer Ultimate frisbee party! It was at the local stadium and they had free food and beer for all summer participants. And then the top 2 playoff games. So it's basically, hang out with your team mates, eat and drink and watch people who are way better at frisbee than you :) 

Wednesday was a bit of a catch up day for some stuff at home. I cooked shakshuka for dinner and baked homemade bread (NOM). I then unpacked 1 tub!!! It was the smallest one, and it ended up that MOST of it is going to the trash and donate piles. The small remainder I placed into one of the other two tubs. So yay! I will still need to go through the remaining two tubs at some point, but they can probably become basement storage tubs after that. I also read a thing for my volunteer gig (~40 pages) and then 2 comics. 

Today I have softball playoffs. If we win we keep playing, up to 3 games tonight. (And then fall season starts tomorrow LOL yikes).

Looking forward:

Friday: working up at test site, softball game, going to watch a friends ska band!

Saturday: grandma's 80th birthday party

Sunday: chill - laundry, meal planning/prep, reading, and then maybe some more house stuff

The more and more I think about this, the more I think getting a set of kettlebells for at home is the best option for me.  That still gives me the flexibility play team sports or do whatever random adventures come up with my friends. Morning workout with the kettlebells, then play time after work. It doesn't mean that I don't/can't join a gym later, but I just think for me for right now it is probably the best option. I plan to work to combine the bodyweight skills I've been working, mobility work, and the rings work, plus integrate the kettlebells and start to reintegrate gymnastics movements. Maybe some sort of cardio too, kettlebell based or not :)  The other option I am considering right now is actually the beachbody workouts? (lolwut) 

I was doing some googling to try to find some resources for kettlebell workouts, and stumbled upon the book Coconuts and Kettlebells by Noelle Tarr and Stefani Ruper. They are the two women who run the Well Fed Women podcast. They focus on a primarily paleo nutrition approach but in general aligns with my philosophy on exercise and nutrition. The book seems to be about 25% introduction and explanation to the principles, 15% fitness plan, and 60% recipe book. I picked it up from the library last night and I am eager to dive in. (I also see there is an extensive amount of information in the podcast and website/blog that is available for anyone else who might be interested, definitely looks worth browsing).

• Like 7

On 8/23/2019 at 8:23 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

nice job with that TUB!!! and also making decisions on your future workouts. have fun at the show tonight!

Thank you! It was super fun :)

Week 3 summary

Thursday we had softball playoffs and lost in our first game because we only had 8 people. We got absolutely demolished because they kept hitting our gaps (even though we beat them with 8 people 2 weeks ago, just a different combination of 8)

Friday I played softball again and this time we won with 8 people (again a different combination of 8) so who knows. Then the SKA show at the bar which was very fun. I danced a lot and had 3 beers and was home by midnight :) 

Saturday  I slept in a touch then packed my bag and left for my moms around noon for Grandma's 80th birthday party. She is the cutest/best grandma, 10/10. She was so excited and had such a fun time. I also got to see lots of family I had not seen in a long time so that was nice.

Sunday I drove back in the morning, then got to cracking on laundry, vacuuming, cleaning etc. I also took a nap. Watched some Jessica Jones season 3 and went grocery shopping where I spent an ungodly amount of money to shore up some pantry essentials. 

I planned to type more, but I just realized I need to get going for the day so check in tomorrow. K THX BYEEEEE

• Like 6

3 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

haha nice weekend! i haven't started JJ S3 yet... good?

So far I am liking it more than S2, but less than S1. I like the Jeri Hogarth storyline quite a bit.

Monday was the first frisbee game of the fall season and it was interesting?  Summer league was sign up as a full team and fall league is sign up as an individual and they pair you with other folks to make a team. So playing with a lot of people I have never met before of all different skill levels. We'll see :) 

I picked up the book I was discussing previously and just flipped right away to "bread lovers meal plan" and honestly I'm on board without reading any of the rest of the book lol They give you meal plan, shopping list, and recipes. And it's easy to follow/use so there is a 7 day x 4 meals grid and they tell you when to cook/prep what meals (and lots of them are reheatable/leftovers which is good). I mostly like it because it seems to simplify the meal prep for me. We'll see how things go :) It is SUPER paleo, which I won't comply with 100% but good place to start for getting in lots of veggies and protein.

Looking ahead for week 4

Tuesday: ??

Wednesday: lunch w friend, nerd nite?

Thursday: ??

Friday: Dentist appt (cleaning), softball game

Saturday/Sunday: local food fest. probably only 1 of the 2 days

Week 4 goals

1) play frisbee x1 time, softball x1 time, other workouts x2 times

2) read 6 comics/comic chapters minimum + 50 non-comic book pages

3) Reduce stuff from moms by 1 tub

4) meal prep and follow the meal plan and post about how it is going. Not going to be 100% compliant, but mostly just to see how the meals taste, is the prep doable, how do I feel, etc

Still gonna do week by week for the remainder of this challenge, but for next challenge doing for sure a nutrition goal, a morning routine goal FER SHERRR.

• Like 8

Ooh same on JJ S3 - though I'm only a few episodes in (and may have fallen asleep during at least 1 due to late night watching).

Also, sounds like a nice sane approach with workouts - finding the right fit for our lives is always a process, ain't it?

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 4:51 PM, miss_marissa said:

Week 4 goals

1) play frisbee x1 time, softball x1 time, other workouts x2 times

2) read 6 comics/comic chapters minimum + 50 non-comic book pages

3) Reduce stuff from moms by 1 tub

4) meal prep and follow the meal plan and post about how it is going. Not going to be 100% compliant, but mostly just to see how the meals taste, is the prep doable, how do I feel, etc

Still gonna do week by week for the remainder of this challenge, but for next challenge doing for sure a nutrition goal, a morning routine goal FER SHERRR.

YEeeeeeeeEEe. Love it.

And hope frisbee is fun with the new team format situation! Though it sounds like it'll at least be fun for shaking things up. :D

On 8/28/2019 at 9:08 AM, Raxie said:

Oof I need a morning routine goal too.  We might be twins on that next challenge.

YASS twinsies <3 

On 8/28/2019 at 3:05 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Ooh same on JJ S3 - though I'm only a few episodes in (and may have fallen asleep during at least 1 due to late night watching).

Also, sounds like a nice sane approach with workouts - finding the right fit for our lives is always a process, ain't it?

I just finished it and I'm very pleased. S1>S3>S2 IMO

On 8/29/2019 at 3:52 PM, raptron said:

YEeeeeeeeEEe. Love it.

And hope frisbee is fun with the new team format situation! Though it sounds like it'll at least be fun for shaking things up. :D

Thanks! Yea, we'll see after the first few games :)  I skipped on Monday because the holiday and I was tired and didn't want to go :) 

Been a while since I checked in. #oops

W4 summary

Friday played a softball triple header because I helped sub for another team. 

Saturday - went to OLYMPIC WEIGHTLIFTING class in the morning!!! First time in over 6 months since I sprained my wrist and it was actually pretty great! I had to bring my snatch grip in a bit to accommodate, but otherwise was like riding a bike. Kept it light, worked up to ~50% ish of my maxes just to grease the groove. Also, EMPTIED THE TUBS AND PUT THEM AWAY!!!! I got it down to 2 tubs that went under the bed and 1 of Christmas stuff in the basement. I have a tub of stuff to donate and a bunch that went in the trash :) 

Sunday went to Taste of Madison and ate lots of foods and drank lots of beers and watched the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus!

Monday finished JJS3 and chilled

Thursday had a work friend over to vent and drink wine

Other days I've just been kind of relaxing and getting stuff cleaned up, moved in around the house. 

Meal prep/plan- need to figure out portion sizes, but I think the meal plan could work eventually. I've been getting a lot more meals than the plan accounts for so I need to figure out how to adjust that (freezing obvi an option) but also, maybe I'm just not eating enough? unclear. 

Been drinking a lot lately also because ~summer~ (patio drinking, beer league sports, cookouts, need I continue?) so next challenge will probably also be an alcohol reduction/elimination goal.

Workout thannnngz

Been doing the beachbody thing? It's been 20-30 minute workouts and I've been doing them in the morning, which TBH is SOO NICE to free up my evenings! The workouts are short and sharp, but I need to buy some heavier weights as I only have 3# dbs at home lol It's more muscular endurance than strength which idk is fine for now. It's been nice to be able to do a quick workout and then still do things I want to do like weightlifting, frisbee, softball etc. Also planning to get in some rock climbing and such soon. I've also been ending my day with 15-20 minutes of the movements as part of the program I have been doing pre-this. A lot of organic flows with principles in yoga, strength, flexibility etc.

OTHER EXCITING NEWS ON THAT FRONT

I hinted at this a few weeks ago, but it's official now :) I've actually joined the Embodied Strength team! Jonathan and Jamie are taking me on part time to help them get organize and help start coaching other members. The program has been growing so much past the capacity for 2 people to handle. Since I got SOO much from the program they wanted to bring me in and I'm super thrilled to do so and can't wait to start helping other folks. (I didn't mention anything earlier until it was finalized. But I also want to make sure I don't come off as like advertising/self-promotion here. but I also want ya'll to know that I will be talking about this a lot more moving forward as part of my goals, since I will be incorporating this into my life. I won't promote or make a sales push, because obviously it's different for me promoting this product now that they pay me vs. before when they didn't? But I do love it and I'm so thrilled with my results and happy to share the exciting news)

• Like 6

On 9/6/2019 at 10:34 AM, raptron said:

That's SO exciting! :D

eek thanks!

On 9/6/2019 at 4:30 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Congrats! @RedStone and @Machete have experience working in fitness and being on the forums. I do too, technically, but since I work for the forums it's not an issue for me :barbershop_quartet_

woop woop! yea I think it's a little different here too as they both do in person training, and mine will be more online self guided with coaching so I just wanted to put out the disclaimer.

21 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

THE TUBS! NEW SIDEJOB!

but most importantly red jumpsuit apparatus, let's be real. do they have new music? were they good?? that's so awesome haha

SQUUUUEEEE!!!!

haha I've never been a huge RJA fan, but I've always liked them. I think I have 2 of their albums? They were actually SUPER good, I was so impressed! The last time I saw them was over 10 years ago at Warped Tour so it was a definite throwback. They actually released a new music video recently and was their first one in like 6 years I think they said? (I just watched it and TBH I liked the live version better, but it's still a bop) And the fact that I got to see them for free in my city was way cool.

Join me here for the next challenge

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

SQUUUUEEEE!!!!

haha I've never been a huge RJA fan, but I've always liked them. I think I have 2 of their albums? They were actually SUPER good, I was so impressed! The last time I saw them was over 10 years ago at Warped Tour so it was a definite throwback. They actually released a new music video recently and was their first one in like 6 years I think they said? (I just watched it and TBH I liked the live version better, but it's still a bop) And the fact that I got to see them for free in my city was way cool.

same! haha Spouse was also shocked that they are still around - we'll have to check out their new stuff and/or find a live version of them recently performing :D 

On 9/10/2019 at 1:11 PM, miss_marissa said:

woop woop! yea I think it's a little different here too as they both do in person training, and mine will be more online self guided with coaching so I just wanted to put out the disclaimer.

I do both. I find the online platform is definitely a lot more challenging.