Elennare does some things

Elennare

I've been tracking calories for the last few challenges.  It's been working, very slowly, but I really don't like tracking calories.  So I'm going to switch it up for the last 4 weeks of this challenge and make another attempt at a 28-Day Reset (it's a thing in the same vein as Whole30, but with slightly different "rules" and less pretentious.).  Gonna keep counting calories during zero week, then I'm on vacation, so, anything goes, and then the "diet."  Which I hope I can stick to and then transition into "always" eating paleo.

I really want to start derby again, but I think I need to take another month off, because work is still kind of in flux and about to get a whole lot more crazy.  If I can't get stuff sorted so I can get to practices again by the end of August, I'm going to leave the league temporarily and start looking for another job.  But I need some sort of exercise in there, because I'm not quitting, just hitting pause, and I fully intend to be a bad ass when I get to hit play again!

So I'm going to do Blogilates 100 glute instagram challenge thing.  I don't know if I'll manage to do 100 reps of everything, but I'm going to do my best.  Anyone want to join me?

And I'm going to lift.  Twice a week, starting in week 2.  Also skate as much as I can.

I also really need to work on my flexibility, so somehow in here I'm going to add some daily stretching/yoga.

And because I'm completely nuts, I want to make a weekly family trip to the beach a thing.  We live in SoCal, 20 minutes from the beach, and only went a handful of times last year.  That's not acceptable. :)

• Like 4

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

All the glutes! :)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

That is.... a butt-ton of glutes. :D Couldn't resist. Are you encouraged to spread it out over the day, or just 100 reps all at once. 'Cause ow. 

Where's the vacation to? And I agree, tracing calories (especially while not at home) is a pain, but a good way to give you a better mental picture of what you're eating. 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

That is.... a butt-ton of glutes. :D Couldn't resist. Are you encouraged to spread it out over the day, or just 100 reps all at once. 'Cause ow. 

I believe the official instruction is however you feel like.  All at once if you want, but feel free to spread it over the day if that works better.

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

Where's the vacation to? And I agree, tracing calories (especially while not at home) is a pain, but a good way to give you a better mental picture of what you're eating. 

Husband's grandparents' cabin.  So, about a week of sitting on a lake in northern Michigan far away from pretty much anything I need to worry about. :)

My biggest issue with tracking calories is that it's extra hard to do if you're not eating things with a label.  And, a decent (and hopefully increasing!) portion of what I eat doesn't have a label. And it just adds another step/barrier to making my own food from whole foods, which is what I want to be doing more often than not, because: I put one bell pepper into this thing I'm making.  It's being shared between 2 adults and 2 kids - how many servings is that, and how much of the pepper did I get in the portion I ate?  Or, I ordered chicken curry from that small family run restaurant that doesn't publish nutrition facts.  It's served with rice, which I didn't eat.  There's 10 different listings for "chicken curry" in my tracker, all with different calories and stuff.  Which is the right one?  And does it include the rice in there or not?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elennare said:

Husband's grandparents' cabin.  So, about a week of sitting on a lake in northern Michigan far away from pretty much anything I need to worry about.

My biggest issue with tracking calories is that it's extra hard to do if you're not eating things with a label.  And, a decent (and hopefully increasing!) portion of what I eat doesn't have a label. And it just adds another step/barrier to making my own food from whole foods, which is what I want to be doing more often than not, because: I put one bell pepper into this thing I'm making.  It's being shared between 2 adults and 2 kids - how many servings is that, and how much of the pepper did I get in the portion I ate?  Or, I ordered chicken curry from that small family run restaurant that doesn't publish nutrition facts.  It's served with rice, which I didn't eat.  There's 10 different listings for "chicken curry" in my tracker, all with different calories and stuff.  Which is the right one?  And does it include the rice in there or not?

Exactly! I hate tracking for these very reasons. I love the idea of picture tracking, but it's not great for actual calorie counting.

Also, awesome, northern Michigan is gorgeous, great for destressing. Almost all of Michigan is, really. West michigander here.

Current Challenge : Ohlemontine Grindin'

str    ??  |   dex  ??  |   sta   ??  |  con  ??  |    wis  ??  |  cha  ?? 

Mistry  |  Level 1  |  Assassin  |  Half-Elf 

We're about halfway through zero week, right?  'Bout time for an update.

Basically, life is insane and I am doing nothing to further my goals right now.  Meh.  Have other stuff to deal with at the moment, and not going to let this derail me.  Two steps forward, one step back is still making progress.  Eventually I'll manage to avoid the steps back, but eventually sure isn't this week!

We're trying to get ready to go on vacation, so took the kitty to the vet yesterday to make sure she's good on everything before we board her.  She needed a visit anyway, because she was due for one and she's been having some tummy issues and dropping a surprising amount of weight fairly quickly.  Turns out she likely has hyperthyroidism, but there's a very small chance it's some sort of intestinal cancer.  We have to wait for the tests to come back until we can find out for sure, so we won't hear until we're back from vacation (on the up side, since she's boarding at the vet, they can start her on the thyroid meds right away if that's what it is).  In the mean time, we have some medicine to give her to help her tummy.  It did not go super great last night - she positively glared at me afterwards, but she got the medicine.  It went a lot better this morning.  It's been a LONG time since we've had to give her medicine, so we're a bit out of practice. :)  In good news, other than that issue, she's in very good health for a 14 year old cat!

And the awful dealership we bought Husband's car from?  Called last week to tell us they missed something in the paperwork when we bought his car, so we need to come sign things.  When?  Uh...how about next week?  When next week?  We'll call you!  They finally got the day nailed down to today, with them promising to call him today to set up a time.  Come lunch, no call.  After half a dozen calls on his part (including one where they told him no one by the name he was given works there, after which they hung up!), we got told essentially, come right now!  So that was an hour and a half of my work day that I now have to stay late to make up.  But at least it's done.

And I've been working late multiple times this week already, and today we were supposed to be celebrating Husband's birthday because we'll be on a plane on his actual birthday, and now it's going to be a super later celebration.  And we both really need a break because we're tired and stressed, and there's just a never-ending tide of things to do, and we keep remembering one more thing that needs to happen before we can go every time we think the list of stuff is almost done, and ARGH! 

*deep breaths* 

Anyway, things are fine and vacation can't come soon enough. :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Elennare said:

Basically, life is insane and I am doing nothing to further my goals right now.  Meh.  Have other stuff to deal with at the moment, and not going to let this derail me.  Two steps forward, one step back is still making progress.  Eventually I'll manage to avoid the steps back, but eventually sure isn't this week!

Good perspective, because yeah, life is definitely throwing some stuff at you. Sorry to hear about the dealership nonsense, those places can be such a nightmare if they don't have their sh!t in order. Hope yesterday and today went better for you. 

On 8/2/2019 at 8:16 AM, Elennare said:

ave other stuff to deal with at the moment, and not going to let this derail me.  

Great attitude

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Final stretches before vacation are some of the hardest, honestly! 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Vacation update:

Had a slight bump in our travel.  After our layover, everyone got on the plane, we taxied out to the runway, and stopped.  And then the captain came on the PA and said there was a light on that said there was something not right with a back-up electrical system.  So we taxied back to the gate, where we sat for a bit while the mechanics investigated it and determined it was a big fix.  So everyone got off the plane.  Luckily they had an extra plane at the airport, so the total delay was only around 2 hours.  And because Southwest is awesome, they sent everyone $50 travel vouchers.  Also had a slight issue with the rental car, because it was a "fancy" one with airbags in the seat belts in the back seat.  Which do not play nice with car seats/boosters.  But we were able to switch it for a different car, so that's all good, too.

I'm actually legit relaxing for the first time in...a long time.  It's awesome, but I'm also a bit afraid I'm going to end up hurting myself because my body won't know how to move right when it's not a giant ball of stress. :P  Mostly not actually worried about that, but the last couple times I've tweaked whatever muscle in my back have happened when I actually get to relax after being a mess.  I am eating all the desert and enjoying it.  Relatively healthy food otherwise, though.

Started the glute challenge a few days late, because I needed a few days to just chill.  Day 1 was actually easier than expected, so I might try to do Day 2 later today to work on getting caught up.  We'll see.  Now it's off to kayak!

• Like 2

Not the worst setbacks! Enjoy vacation. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

Glad the hiccups in getting out there were (relatively) quick to resolve. 

For the "not moving right when not a big ball of stress," if you can fit it in, I'd recommend some easy stretches and slow, repetitive movements, just feeling how your body works and where there might be hitches. There have been a couple times when walking slowly on the treadmill (due to not feeling well) has brought an imbalance to my attention. Not guaranteed fixing, but being mindful and being nice to yourself helps a lot. Enjoy the relaxation!

Glad the huccps were resokved without problems.   

Also,  just relax.   You don't get many opportunities to truly relax so make the most of it :)

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Back into "normal" life today.  The rest of vacation was pretty good.  Only not so great thing was I didn't sleep so well the last couple days.  And another dream about an impending disaster that my mom was distracting me from and preventing me from preparing for.  But aside from that, it was great.  Lots of relaxing, had a lovely kayak trip down the river, and Husband and I got away just the two of us for an afternoon.  I don't especially want to be back at work yet.  Also found a neat-sounding position at another company in the area that I am going to apply for as soon as I get my resume fixed up and can write a cover letter.

Also managed to finally clean the carpet in our living room.  Took a while because our carpet shampooer machine is more designed for spots than entire rugs, but it's done!  It looks and feels so much better.  And I also cleaned out the refrigerator.  No more nasty leftovers or rotting veggies forgotten about from meal plans that never happened.  There's also pretty much no more food in there at all now (because we tried to use everything up before vacation), but that just gives us a clean slate for healthy stuff.

Glute challenge - has been going well, though I've skipped a few days because it just wasn't going to happen.  So far, 100 reps of the exercises has been more do-able than expected, though I certainly haven't done them all as one set.  I am on day 5 today.

Diet - started yesterday, despite being completely unprepared.  Aside from yesterday's morning coffee (to finish off the last of the sweetened creamer we already had), so far so good!

Stretching - nope, hasn't happened.  Because I forgot I was going to do that.  But now that I remember, I'll get on that!

• Like 2

Did my exercise last night even though I didn't particularly want to.  Thought about calling it good after 40, or 60, reps, but by the time I got to 60 I figured I was almost done so I might as well do the last 40.  I was super tired because my body still hasn't caught up to the fact that I'm in a different time zone than I was last week, so I did one really short not so great stretch, but at least I did the thing!

I also weighed myself this morning.  Up half a pound from before vacation.  Which is nothing, really.  Especially since it's almost shark week.  So apparently de-stressing and getting (somewhat) caught up on sleep was enough to off set all the desserts. :D

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Elennare said:

I also weighed myself this morning.  Up half a pound from before vacation.  Which is nothing, really.  Especially since it's almost shark week.  So apparently de-stressing and getting (somewhat) caught up on sleep was enough to off set all the desserts. :D

Woot, half a pound after vacation and pre-shark week? As you say, that's nothing. :) Glad you got a chance to actually relax, and good luck with the job hunt. 

On 8/13/2019 at 11:47 AM, Elennare said:

Did my exercise last night even though I didn't particularly want to.  Thought about calling it good after 40, or 60, reps, but by the time I got to 60 I figured I was almost done so I might as well do the last 40. 

BOOYAH.

On 8/13/2019 at 11:47 AM, Elennare said:

VERY MUCH JUST A BLIP.  Glad the de-stressing was good for ya. 

Raptron, alot assassin

Well, the last few days have been a perfect storm of jet-lag, shark week, and long work hours (flexing because I was 4 hours short on vacation time), and I haven't done any of my exercise.  Was feeling blah enough that yesterday I worked from home and pretty much sat on the couch all day.  Going to watch meteors Tuesday night probably didn't help with things, either, but that at least was really cool.  Feeling better today, so I think I'll be back on top of everything.

I really need to do some meal planning.  I've been following my diet, but barely, and I have definitely been eating some things on the edge of "processed food," but I'm doing the thing.  It's not been a week yet, so still too early to judge how it's going, but I do feel a little bit better (despite the first paragraph).  Not in a way I can quantify yet, though.  I guess that's good?

Also managed to get Little Bug signed up for derby.  He had his first practice on Wednesday.  He was super nervous and almost decided not to do it halfway through warm ups, but I told him he had to do the practice and could decide he didn't want to do it any more afterwards if he still felt that way.  By the end of practice, he was telling me he didn't want to leave and wondering when the next one was. :D

• Like 2

Week 1 is over. (Edit: week one of the diet, week two of the challenge. Oops) Did pretty well on the diet. Only slipped up a little on Saturday. The scale was up 0.2lbs, but my shorts feel looser, so...?

Back to my exercises on Saturday (Friday didn't happen like expected). Will do better for the rest of the challenge. Also stretched, so there's that, too.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2019 at 4:40 PM, Elennare said:

Week 1 is over. (Edit: week one of the diet, week two of the challenge. Oops) Did pretty well on the diet. Only slipped up a little on Saturday. The scale was up 0.2lbs, but my shorts feel looser, so...?

Back to my exercises on Saturday (Friday didn't happen like expected). Will do better for the rest of the challenge. Also stretched, so there's that, too.

Yay stretching. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

Yesterday I was feeling like I was maybe getting sick, so I didn't exercise or stretch.

Today I had to work late so didn't get to eat dinner until like 8pm.  And we just found out that Isis has ear mites or something! Google suggests it's most likely that, but either way, calling the vet in the morning. Annoying, because the only place she could have caught them was at the vet. :angry: Poor kitty.

Diet is still going well, but man do I want to dive head first into some ice cream. And I really miss my normal coffee.

But I'm going to do the thing before I go to bed! And I have something new to try with my coffee in the morning. Cuz gosh darn it, I am not going to let everything fall apart on me because of some bumps.

• Like 1

Warning: some swearing ahead.

Well, fuck.  Isis does not have ear mites, she's in the 1-3% of cats who have a bad reaction to the thyroid medication.  So we can't give her that any more.

Which pretty much leaves an injection with radioactive iodine.  Which requires a week of her being in the hospital, plus 3 weeks of basically keeping her away from everyone and off of everything when she comes home (and having to do crazy stuff with the litter box as well).  Aside from the expense (only have a rough estimate from a very cursory google search, but it's not cheap), keeping her away from everyone for 3 weeks is going to be torture for her.  She is VERY attached to people and wants to snuggle a LOT, and gets very upset when denied access to her people.  Plus, I don't know where in the house we could keep her that would fit the "safe for people" criteria (because we have small kids, the restrictions are extra extreme).  And I don't think we have the money that would cost any way.

So, while there is still lots more research to do, it seems like our only real option is going to be leaving the hyperthyroidism untreated and then deciding when she's declined too much.  And nothing I can find online talks about how long she's likely to live with it untreated, because "treatment is easy!" so why wouldn't you?

I don't think I'm ok.

• Sad 3

18 hours ago, Elennare said:

So, while there is still lots more research to do, it seems like our only real option is going to be leaving the hyperthyroidism untreated and then deciding when she's declined too much.  And nothing I can find online talks about how long she's likely to live with it untreated, because "treatment is easy!" so why wouldn't you?

I don't think I'm ok.

:( /hugs. That is a crappy situation, and I'm sorry you have to face it. 

• Like 1