• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Harriet

Harriet’s Year of Transformation ACT X

In totally non-deadlift news, I knit another sweater. This is the first truly oversized sweater I've knit and I'm pretty happy with it. I've realised I just feel so self-conscious in snug, fitted tops and I prefer loose ones, which goes against all the silly internet advice for my shape. Not that I know what my shape is any more with all the changes. Really gotta fix that anterior pelvic tilt, it makes a huge difference to how I look. Pretty sure my glutes are strong enough, I think it's my abs that need work. Huh, I just thought of something. Anterior pelvic tilt is worsened by a tight lower back. Deadlift strengthens the lower back. Could the fact that my deadlift is well ahead of my squat be exacerbating the tilt? Anyway, sweater: 

IMG_6532.jpg.bf0cffa80e5d7b5b341f18f8c92bebaa.jpgIMG_6541.jpg.8e6a8dd8923016c3104319314f5be017.jpgIMG_6542.jpg.ba28aaf5da8ee766fce9be24cef42f69.jpg

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That sweater is amazing and green is my favorite color. One of the few things I don't like about where I live is a severe lack of sweater weather.

Thank you! Green is the best. And I would be very sad to move someone where sweaters were unnecessary. I like cool weather. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

love that sweater!! well done. i also have anterior pelvic tilt and my deadlift has always been ahead of my squat *shrug* 

Thank you :) Have you had any luck correcting the tilt with exercises?

44 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I haven't tried! It's hasn't been a priority for me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Harriet said:

Really gotta fix that anterior pelvic tilt, it makes a huge difference to how I look. Pretty sure my glutes are strong enough, I think it's my abs that need work. Huh, I just thought of something. Anterior pelvic tilt is worsened by a tight lower back. Deadlift strengthens the lower back. Could the fact that my deadlift is well ahead of my squat be exacerbating the tilt? 

Ehhh, probably not! Most people have a much higher dead than squat. 

Some APT is very normal, but if you think you are well outside the range, actively working on it can help. I've had pretty good success by making myself aware over time by just doing mental checks and slowly making corrections when I notice it. Also by strengthening my lower abs (somewhat...) with lower back pressed to the floor style exercises like dead bugs and leg lifts (without any lower back lifting). 

I love this beautiful green sweater. 

• Like 4

Very nice and comfortable-looking sweater.

I sit in a desk all day and got me some moderate APT, and my squat is better than my deadlift, which is kind of unusual for anyone, but especially so if APT is somehow supposed to skew someone towards better deadlifts. My guess is that correlation may not equal causation in this case.

2 hours ago, raptron said:

I've had pretty good success by making myself aware over time by just doing mental checks and slowly making corrections when I notice it. Also by strengthening my lower abs (somewhat...) with lower back pressed to the floor style exercises like dead bugs and leg lifts (without any lower back lifting). 

I have done pretty much these exact 2 things: mental cues, and these exact types of exercises, and I think I've had some pretty good success as well. Highly recommend these tips!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raptron said:

I love this beautiful green sweater. 

1 hour ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Can I just say how much I love your knitting pics? Love the sweater! :D

Thank you, my pretties.

3 hours ago, raptron said:

Some APT is very normal, but if you think you are well outside the range, actively working on it can help. I've had pretty good success by making myself aware over time by just doing mental checks and slowly making corrections when I notice it. Also by strengthening my lower abs (somewhat...) with lower back pressed to the floor style exercises like dead bugs and leg lifts (without any lower back lifting). 

53 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

I sit in a desk all day and got me some moderate APT, and my squat is better than my deadlift, which is kind of unusual for anyone, but especially so if APT is somehow supposed to skew someone towards better deadlifts. My guess is that correlation may not equal causation in this case.

I have done pretty much these exact 2 things: mental cues, and these exact types of exercises, and I think I've had some pretty good success as well. Highly recommend these tips!

Good. Then I have a plan. Dead bugs and leg lifts it is. 

OHP day:
70lb x 3 

65lb x 3 

60lb x 6

55lb x 8
Inverted rows: 4 sets of 8-10

Lunges 25lb: 12/12/12/12

Lateral raises 10lb x 12/11/10/10

So I had my deload week with fewer sets and have decided to add back in a fourth set on everything. Unfortunately, the trend of regress continued, and I got only 3 reps on my first back off set for the OHP. That's worse than last week. I haven't lost maximum strength, and I can still do more sets, but I am losing reps. I assume this is due to a fluctuation in my health and energy rather than a programming problem. I don't see why an increase in volume followed by a decrease in volume would cause lost reps. I felt super drained after the workout and am now very tired. Those lunges in particular are exhausting. Do those of you who do single leg exercises rest between sides? Because then you have to do double the sets, right? Or do you do both sides at once, so that fatigue limits the set? Not sure I like either doing 8 sets of 12 lunges OR 4 sets of 24. Ow. 

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Those lunges in particular are exhausting. Do those of you who do single leg exercises rest between sides? Because then you have to do double the sets, right? Or do you do both sides at once, so that fatigue limits the set? Not sure I like either doing 8 sets of 12 lunges OR 4 sets of 24. Ow.

Walking lunges.  My legs alternate.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Harriet said:

How many reps per leg/in total? 

4 sets.  Typically 12-18 reps per leg, each set.

• Like 1

I don't have a lot of walking room in either of the places I work out, so I don't walk, but I still alternate legs between each rep. 8-10 reps per leg, or 16-20 paces total, with dumbbells, weight dependent on how tired I am since they are always after heavy leg stuff. Usually 3 sets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

I don't have a lot of walking room in either of the places I work out, so I don't walk, but I still alternate legs between each rep. 8-10 reps per leg, or 16-20 paces total, with dumbbells, weight dependent on how tired I am since they are always after heavy leg stuff. Usually 3 sets.

I do two step forward, two steps back as a compromise~!

• Like 1

So I slept ten hours and woke up feeling a bit off-colour. I think I am indeed mildly sick. I decided not to go to the gym. Instead of throwing everything into squats only to see them regress like my other lifts have recently, I thought I might as well save my energy and hopefully get better quicker.

Interesting that you all combine both legs for the lunges. If I do that, I fear my reps will be limited by fatigue rather than strength. Maybe I can go heavier and do fewer reps? Like 5-8 each side instead of 8-12.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

I thought I might as well save my energy and hopefully get better quicker.

Sometimes, it's the better option. Take care and get better.

• Like 1

Oops. So I haven't done anything the last few days. I skipped gym sessions because I have a slight cold or something. But why did I skip everything else? Zero motivation, I did not sit outside, write, read, or do anything much. And now we are going away for a few days so there will probably be more non-gymming. Maybe I can do some planks, leg lifts and pushups while I'm away, just so I'm not doing nothing.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:39 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

bodyweight and ab stuff sounds like a good idea! i hope you're able to enjoy your time away though without too much sickness

Seconding this!

• Like 1

I'm reminded why I don't love travelling. I didn't sleep much in the hotel bed. Apparently I am a creature of routine and I suffer when removed from my surrounds. Like a cat. So I'm tired, a little sick, and definitely not motivated to do much. In better news, I am less anxious than during our other travels, so I think that the work I've done on my anxiety throughout the year is helping. I have agreed to do more things with Mr Harriet, like getting into the beach water (this is like a cat agreeing to step into the bath) and going for spontaneous walks. There has been lots of hanging around just looking at the beach from the safety of my room, though. I did some leg lifts but alas, I am still fat. Oh well. Looking forward to doing proper lifting when I get back and recover from this sinus thing.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 4:16 PM, Harriet said:

Bench day:
100lb x 2

95lb x 3

90lb x 5

85lb x 5 

Inverted row x 10/10/10/12
lunges at 22.5lb x 12/12/12/12

lateral raises at 10lb x 10/10/10/10

I don't know what's going on with my bench. I guess I just have to reduce to 90lb and work back up, maybe with microplates this time. The lunges seem to be working my quads but also a muscle in the side of my hip--maybe the glute medius--which I hope will be good for my balance and stability. 

What is your programming scheme for the bench? 

One thing that really helps me to make progress on my upper body lifts is to increase the volume. More sets in the 80-90% range at higher reps (6-10 reps). I found that low reps at higher weight never really worked for me to build up the muscles I needed to improve. This worked for me as I have tree trunk legs, but spaghetti arms. Your mileage may vary.

On 8/13/2019 at 4:07 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That sweater is amazing and green is my favorite color. One of the few things I don't like about where I live is a severe lack of sweater weather.

*AHEM*

That sweater is so awesome! Great job!

On 8/14/2019 at 9:05 AM, Harriet said:

On 8/14/2019 at 11:17 AM, raptron said:

Second all of the APT stuff that has already been posted. I struggle with it a lot also, and I definitely still have it, but making note and trying to correct throughout the day (by engaging my core) is a big thing. Also,  alternate sitting/standing/walking throughout the day if you are able. 

Some things I have been doing recently to help/correct my APT. It's still there, but is (slowly) improving: 

• 90/90 breathing  I try to do this at least twice a day: morning, night, also a truncated version as the VERY first thing for my warmups
  • glute bridges directly after the 90/90. think of really engaging the glutes and not hamstrings, should be like 90% glutes, 10% hamstrings
  • foam rolling the quads and hip flexors and the "jean pocket" area with a smaller ball (I have one maybe about the size of a softball, but a lacrosse ball works too)
  • Like 2