• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

h3r0

h3r0 gets some armor

Hiro, hero for hire. Ruthless, intelligent, efficient. You have an impossible problem, then he's the man to call. Slim, trim, cocky grin, completely self contained and self assured.

He stays in peak physical condition through training and daily activity. His body looks like it was carved out of wood, strong and capable, lean and hard, without bulk, but flexible and defined.

He has more than enough energy to run, jump, and play all day, with energy to burn, never stopping and never quitting until he is done.

------------------------------

AUGUST CHALLENGE 

Hello all! I have never done a warrior challenge before so this should be fun. I have spent the last two challenges building the habit of early morning workouts (mainly bodyweight, kettlebell, and a little bit of barbell) and trimming up with a calorie deficit. It is time to spend a little bit of time working on building muscle which is why I am here. 

Goals for this challenge:

#1: Week 0 - MINI CHALLENGE 

This week I am out of town in Chicago for work. The goal of this week is to just stay active and try to make decent food choices in the city of hotdogs, deep dish, and dipped Italian beef. I will get hotdogs one night this week but not every night like I really want to. The hotel I am staying at has two treadmills in a closet and calls it a gym, so that means I have bodyweight workouts as my only real choice this week. 

#2: Weight Training for Hypertrophy 

I haven't figured out how best to do this just yet. I plan on focusing on dead lift, overhead press, bench press, and barbell rows. 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps. The sticky part is frequency. I would like to target 6 days a week but in the past I could only manage that for two weeks or so before I just felt too beat up. Minimum of three days is the goal with the plan to adjust as I go. 

#3 Eat for Gains 

Switch to a calorie surplus with a minimum of +500 kcal over maintenance. Focus on protein. I currently weigh 190# and if I target 1g of protein per then this is going to be the hardest thing this month. On a good day when I am trying to up my protein I only managed between 130 - 160g and was stuffing myself. Not sure how I am going to get this accomplished. 

#4 Poison Master Skill Badge 

I smoked for over a decade and then 7 years ago I switched to vaping. Not a healthy habit but a hell of a lot better than cigarettes. Over the years I have reduced the amount of nicotine in my vape from 24mg down to the 3mg I currently use. Time to quit all together and move on with my life. 

nick-sinclair-buckaroofront-a-web.jpg

• Like 4

WEEK 0 - MINI CHALLENGE 

calendar-header.jpg

Bodyweight workout:

NTC - Full Body Goal Crusher 

I did the best I could with food choices today. Skipped breakfast. Baked chicken, sausage, and salad for lunch. Vegan burrito and protein bar for dinner. 

Going to try and go to bed early tonight and get some sleep. Travel day yesterday took more out of me than I expected. 

---------

Off topic but the Bic Gelocity quick dry gel pen is a lie. It smudges as much as any other gel pen. So disappointing. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Hello all! I have never done a warrior challenge before so this should be fun. I have spent the last two challenges building the habit of early morning workouts (mainly bodyweight, kettlebell, and a little bit of barbell) and trimming up with a calorie deficit. It is time to spend a little bit of time working on building muscle which is why I am here. 

Welcome and good luck with your goals, especially quitting the last bit of vaping! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, h3r0 said:

I haven't figured out how best to do this just yet. I plan on focusing on dead lift, overhead press, bench press, and barbell rows.

No squats? Do you do anything for quads?

4 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

No squats? Do you do anything for quads?

A lot of Goblet and bodyweight squats typically. The deadlift will be performed with a trap bar which is a little more quad activity than a standard deadlift. Other than that I am not sure.

I workout at home and don't have a squat rack so if I use a barbell it can only be as heavy as I can push over my head. 

WEEK 0 - MINI CHALLENGE 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTp_kflFBR7CLyM4J-ee8V

Bodyweight workout

3 rounds of:

Squats 

Pushup 

Hip lifts 

Plank

Combat stretch 

Pigeon pose

I wanted eggs and bacon for breakfast but that didn't happen, so ended up only having a protein bar for breakfast, three steak tacos for lunch, and some tasty udon for dinner. 

• Like 1

WEEK 0 - MINI CHALLENGE 

MINI-Challenge-Dean-Brace-950x551.jpg

Bodyweight workout

3 rounds of:

Squats 

Pushup 

Hip lifts 

Plank

Combat stretch 

Pigeon pose

Protein bar for breakfast, lunch was roast beef sandwich, chips, and apple. Planning on sushi for dinner. 

• Like 1

OK warriors, I'm debating my workout weekly frequency. 

I am thinking of an A / B workout. 

A = bench press, BB row, curl

B = OHP, deadlift, close grip bench. 

But not sure if I should do a M/W/F alternating routine or instead do M/T/Th/F where I do each workout twice a week. 

Any ideas? 

58 minutes ago, h3r0 said:

OK warriors, I'm debating my workout weekly frequency. 

I am thinking of an A / B workout. 

A = bench press, BB row, curl

B = OHP, deadlift, close grip bench. 

But not sure if I should do a M/W/F alternating routine or instead do M/T/Th/F where I do each workout twice a week. 

Any ideas? 

I think three and four times per week are both good, as long as you're getting stronger, recovering well and you enjoy it. 

• Like 1

WEEK 0 - MINI CHALLENGE 

The_Top_10_Forge_Motorsport_Parts_For_Yo

Last day out of town and no workout today. Getting last minute errands run and packing up for travel day tomorrow. 

Skipped breakfast, BBQ chicken for lunch, and finally unleashed myself on some Chicago dogs. So good 

On 7/31/2019 at 6:57 PM, h3r0 said:

Any ideas? 

With 3 days a week and a rest day in between, you can pretty much do whatever you want.

If you go with 4 days a week and you're doing some sort of heavy bench press all 4 days, I'm not sure you'd be applying any more stimulus than if you just did 1 hard bench press workout early in the week and 1 hard closegrip workout later in the week or vice versa, and it would be a lot less volume to try and recover from. Give it a try, but if your chest starts feeling beat up, or worse, your shoulders, I'd scale that back or consider replacing closegrip bp with an assistance lift like front raises, lat raises, or face pulls if you need help in the shoulders.

Lastly, I'm seeing 5 upper body exercises and 1 lower. If you don't have access to a squat rack, might I suggest adding in weighted lunges? They provide a harder quad focus that your current structure is lacking, but they also work the glutes pretty intensely, and everyone loves a nice butt. Otherwise, pretty much any kind of single-leg squat is good for working quads hard without needing a ton of weight. Just my 2¢.

21 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

With 3 days a week and a rest day in between, you can pretty much do whatever you want.

If you go with 4 days a week and you're doing some sort of heavy bench press all 4 days, I'm not sure you'd be applying any more stimulus than if you just did 1 hard bench press workout early in the week and 1 hard closegrip workout later in the week or vice versa, and it would be a lot less volume to try and recover from. Give it a try, but if your chest starts feeling beat up, or worse, your shoulders, I'd scale that back or consider replacing closegrip bp with an assistance lift like front raises, lat raises, or face pulls if you need help in the shoulders.

Lastly, I'm seeing 5 upper body exercises and 1 lower. If you don't have access to a squat rack, might I suggest adding in weighted lunges? They provide a harder quad focus that your current structure is lacking, but they also work the glutes pretty intensely, and everyone loves a nice butt. Otherwise, pretty much any kind of single-leg squat is good for working quads hard without needing a ton of weight. Just my 2¢.

Good feedback. 

I'll replace the rows with either goblet or split squats or lunges as you suggested in A and the close grip bench with tricep overheads. The close grip bench was for my triceps. 

My chest is actually OK but I really want to build up my shoulders and arms. My upper arm is the same diameter as my forearm. 

I am going to try a 4xweek even though I don't have high hopes that it will work, probably be too much but will start with it and switch to 3 days if not. 

• Like 1

latest?cb=20180506075844

Training Day

3x6 trap bar deadlift @190# 

4x8 bench press @115# 

Good training session, took more out of me than I expected. 

• Like 3

Food:

All I did was fudging eat today to hit my calorie and protein target. I have never eaten this much before other than a Thanksgiving situation. I actually ended up a little over target. 

2,880 kcal 

184g protein 

• Like 1

374-3749485_breastplate-armor-d-d-breast

Training Day 

4x10 goblet squats 

4x8 OHP @65#

2x12 overhead extension @20#

1x10 close grip bench @65#

A much easier day than yesterday, will bump up the weight next time. A little sore from yesterday but nothing terrible. I'm hoping that the extra food will keep me from feeling beat up all the time. 

• Like 3

If hypertrophy is your game these days, you may think about an - upper/lower - power/hypertrophy - split, where you hit both upper and lower twice in each week, once for power (higher weights) and once for size (higher reps). This way you're not forgoing power or strength for size, but getting both types of stimulation. Not a bad compromise!

There are also plenty of breakdowns for the 5-6 day options, which would break things down a bit more finely, you have individual arm days and shoulder days on top of the regular push/pull/legs. 

I summon thee @Grumble and @Gemma who have both enjoyed the hyper route and may have input for you there! Otherwise, welcome to the Warrior Guild, we are happy to have you challenging with us this round! And if there is anything we can do to help with your journey, please do not hesitate to ask :) 

latest?cb=20180507153122

Training Day 

3x8 barbell row @95#

3x8 bench press @115# 

2x8 barbell curl @45#

I took it easy today, wasn't really feeling it this morning but felt good afterwards. 

I miss kettlebells. 

Quitting nicotine at noon today. The rest of the week is going to suck. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Quitting nicotine at noon today. The rest of the week is going to suck. 

You will succeed. Let us know how it's going when you next check in. 

• Like 2

Food:

2,600 kcal 

165g Protein 

I didn't hit the protein target today. Ate a bunch of junk at my birthday dinner but it was good. 

• Like 1

166434d1c1d3c31b9714fb35977b3f78.jpg

Training Day 

3x5 trap bar deadlift @200#

4x8 OHP @70# 

2x12 close grip bench @70# 

Back is sore from rows yesterday which turned into a cramp mid workout. Hot shower helped but still a bit of a pinch right between my shoulder blades. 

Entering the suck on nicotine withdrawal. The physical isn't that bad and I can ignore that, it is the mental spaceyness and tiredness that gets to me. I bought some 0mg juice just for the mental crutch of still having a "smoke break" even though I am not getting anything out of it. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Harriet said:

You will succeed. Let us know how it's going when you next check in. 

Thanks, I will keep everyone updated. 

10 hours ago, Jean said:

Happy birthday?

776699824_263902.gif?w=300&h=300

Also, I love the imagery of your challenge. Crush the nicotine-free life and enjoy it!

I appreciate it. I embrace the gameify idea and like building the D&D character with my goals, it is kind of fun. So I like the asthetic as part of it. 

• Like 1