• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

h3r0

h3r0 gets some armor

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

How are you doing squatting on the ankle? That always seemed to be the most challenging lift for me, when facing an ankle sprain. I just can't get down deep enough, since hte anklecan't move in the right direction.

Congratulations on healing though. Sounds like it's progressing nicely.

Squatting hasn't been a issue but I haven't put it under a real heavy load, just kettlebells. Overall bending it forward and backwards seems OK, it is left and right bending that still hurts. 

• Like 2

On 8/25/2019 at 11:46 AM, h3r0 said:

Squatting hasn't been a issue but I haven't put it under a real heavy load, just kettlebells. Overall bending it forward and backwards seems OK, it is left and right bending that still hurts. 

i sprained the same ankle twice, a couple of years ago as I was beginning my lifting journey.  While it no longer hurts (took a long time, though), it no longer has the same range of dorsiflexion as the other ankle. Squat shoes helped with that. Anyway, I hope yours continues to improve. 

16 hours ago, Harriet said:

i sprained the same ankle twice, a couple of years ago as I was beginning my lifting journey.  While it no longer hurts (took a long time, though), it no longer has the same range of dorsiflexion as the other ankle. Squat shoes helped with that. Anyway, I hope yours continues to improve. 

Thanks!

Flexibility bending up (toes towards knee) is less than it was before but not far off and no pain. Maybe because I made sure to do combat stretch several times early in the injury? Not sure, so squats haven't been a issue yet. 

But bending down (toes away from knee) something is off that direction. Still feel pain that direction. Just kneeling with the foot out behind me is just OK, but becomes less ok as I lean back and forget putting any weight on it in that position, like sitting on the heels. 

And the outside of the ankle is still tender. I actually forget about it but then try and sit criss cross and sharp pain reminds me. 

It has only been about two weeks so overall it is almost 90% but still has a few healing spots. Hopefully this isn't forever 

• Like 1

Light Stretching 

Off day. Just some easy combat stretch, Pigeon pose, and overall stretching out the ankle in various positions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

And the outside of the ankle is still tender. I actually forget about it but then try and sit criss cross and sharp pain reminds me. 

That particular part of the ankle is what always takes the longest to heal, when I think back on previous ankle sprains. Moving the ankle, and rotating it, bending, walking on it, is according to my doctor critical for helping it heal well. My doctor would agree with you that stretching the ankle as early and often as you can get away with it, contributes to successful healing.

Being as active as the ankle allows you to be, is good for it. :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

That particular part of the ankle is what always takes the longest to heal, when I think back on previous ankle sprains. Moving the ankle, and rotating it, bending, walking on it, is according to my doctor critical for helping it heal well. My doctor would agree with you that stretching the ankle as early and often as you can get away with it, contributes to successful healing.

Being as active as the ankle allows you to be, is good for it. :)

Thanks! Good to know. BTW I forgot to mention that I also started working out barefoot. Does it help? Idk but figured it wouldn't hurt. Unless of course I drop a kettlebell on my foot! Lol 

fighter_mage.jpg

Training Day - kettlebell volume 

5x10 KB upright row 

5x10 Goblet squats 

5x10 KB press 

Nice workout today. 

I ran across the 5/3/1 workout and it seems like I could plug that protocol into what I am already doing pretty easily. Do a single barbell big movement and then the rest of my workout time doing KB fun things. Might work. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Training Day - kettlebell volume 

5x10 KB upright row 

5x10 Goblet squats 

5x10 KB press 

Nice workout today. 

I ran across the 5/3/1 workout and it seems like I could plug that protocol into what I am already doing pretty easily. Do a single barbell big movement and then the rest of my workout time doing KB fun things. Might work. 

I thought about doing 5/3/1 but never really decided on it. Let us know how it goes if you do try it.

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I thought about doing 5/3/1 but never really decided on it. Let us know how it goes if you do try it.

I've been meaning to do this one as well, so yes, please do share if you go this route.

6a01774476d922970d01a511f9f392970c-pi

Mobility workout 

NTC - Open Rotation 

Pigeon pose 

Combat stretch 

Not a great workout. I have been neglecting mobility lately and it really showed. Felt ackward. Also mowed the yard yesterday and made my ankle a little angry. Sore and a little puffy today. 

Nicotine 

So it has been a little over three weeks since I had any nicotine. The physical effects of withdrawal are gone and for the most part the mental effects are gone but I still do not feel right. Brain fog and just can't focus on anything. At this point I am wondering if it isn't withdrawal but just me without having a stimulant to keep clicking along. I'm a mentat without my sapho juice. Is this just the way it is from now on? I make a living as a mentat and have basically dialed it in at work so far this month but I can't do this forever. 

• Like 3

e7ebe64608af53869357566a9b331592.jpg

Junk Workout 

Blood sugar was super high this morning and I just wasn't feeling it but wanted to do something physical so just messed around until it was time to stop. 

3x10 close grip bench @75# 

3x10 KB Swings 

Waiter walk + suitcase carry 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Junk Just for funsies Workout 

Blood sugar was super high this morning and I just wasn't feeling it but wanted to do something physical so just messed around until it was time to stop. 

3x10 close grip bench @75# 

3x10 KB Swings 

Waiter walk + suitcase carry 

Fixed that for you. Junk implies what you did was bad. But you listened to your body and you still went and did something. Maybe not what you had programmed for the day, but you showed up and did the things. That's most definitely not 'junk' :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Fixed that for you. Junk implies what you did was bad. But you listened to your body and you still went and did something. Maybe not what you had programmed for the day, but you showed up and did the things. That's most definitely not 'junk' :)

Hah! Fair enough.

The term is a hold over from my endurance athlete days. If you weren't targeting a specific quality in that workout it was just junk miles aka added volume for volume's sake. 

• Like 2

9cb9b64d7afff5beb878d85acfbeb281.png

Training Day 

Bench Press 3x5 @85/100/115#

3x10 goblet squats 

3x10 KB press 

2x10 curls @50# 

I indulged a bit with some adult beverages during the football games yesterday. Feeling a little slow this morning. 

Thinking about a metcon tomorrow, been feeling sluggish since I quit nicotine. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Thinking about a metcon tomorrow, been feeling sluggish since I quit nicotine. 

Hopefully the withdrawal-induced brain fog will clear up in the next couple of weeks. You're doing really well. 

scout.jpg?w=300&h=222

Mobility Day 

NTC - Open Rotation 

Pigeon pose 

Combat stretch 

Feeling stiff, so did some mobility work. Will save the stamina for the flower bed I am going to dig out and replace all the mulch in today. 

My ankle still hurts. 

• Like 2

Got the flower bed dug out. Put down fresh mulch. Mowed and edged. Put in some solar lights. Got some new plants. And I got some metal shelves for the garage. Finally I can put all the boxes of junk somewhere other than in a pile covering half the garage. I should be able to workout now without feeling so tight and encroached upon. 

Might have overdone it today. I finally sat down for a few and my whole body was stiff when I tried to move again. Deadlifts are going to be fun in the morning. 

8df0fbce63f8d63e823dc6785a787325.jpg

Training Day 

3x5 trap bar deadlift @150/185/200#
5x10 KB upright row 
1x10 curl @50# 

Took it easy this morning. 

Is this really the last week? This month has flown by. 

• Like 2

c4f3681b57631dbc2e83a91987445339.jpg

Mobility Day 

NTC - Fresh off the Circuit 

Pigeon pose 

Long slow mobility stretch this morning. Very stiff, especially the hamstrings

• Like 1

vince-vaugh-landscape.jpg?width=620

Training Day 

3x5 OHP @65/70/75#
3x12 close grip bench @75# 
3x10 bent row @75# 

So I weighted myself this morning and I am 201 lbs. That is a 11 lb gain since the first of August!

Looking in the mirror the extra weight kind of looks good on me. (I'm 6ft tall for reference) If I had to guess about half of the gain is muscle and the rest is fat. I am definitely bigger through the shoulders and arms and pudgier in the stomach. I went from skinny fat to dad bod and I am kinda liking it. 

My goal was to bulk up this month and unintentionally it became a dirty bulk. (Nicotine withdrawal was harder than I expected.) Next challenge I am going to to have to slow down my eating or I am going to get sloppy but I am claiming victory for this challenge. 

• Like 4

I'd rather have a little extra energy stored on my body than ash coating my lungs any day. I'd say the extra eating has been well worth it for you. And it's always awesome to see there's some extra muscle there as well. Nice job!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

I'd rather have a little extra energy stored on my body than ash coating my lungs any day. I'd say the extra eating has been well worth it for you. And it's always awesome to see there's some extra muscle there as well. Nice job!

21 hours ago, Jean said:

Nice armor there!

Also, what Deckard wrote. Congrats and keep at it!

Thanks everyone for the support! 

• Like 1