Snarky Gets Ready

12 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

If only everything in life was as easy as a krispy treat :D I’ll send you one via the interwebs

Would you believe I've never made them in my life?! And I've been thinking it's time that I learn

• Like 1
On 8/30/2019 at 7:47 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

The computer I want is 3200 dollars, so I'm not getting a computer. I mean, the starting price was a LOT lower but once I added all the upgrades, well. I need more time to save up for that. It'll be worth it, and I really enjoyed reading about the individual components and more about how computers work beyond what my dad taught me. 

I feel a lot better today. YAY! 

If you're wanting to do PC gaming on a budget then I've got some tips that make for a decent experience without breaking the bank.  HMU if you want to talk options.

• Thanks 1

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

LOOK AT THIS!!!!

img_1419.jpg

A large wasp nest was discovered on our house today. The really shocking bit is that I missed it! I’m normally really vigilant about keeping our house nest-free. It’s really quite remarkable.  I tried to zoom in as much as possible, 

img_1418.jpg

So I started using my camera finally! Nothing like a wasp nest to motivate me. I’m going to get a notebook and really learn this camera, or at least use my notes as a quick guide after breaking down the giant-ass manual.  

The exterminator is coming Friday. Part of me is a little sad. The nest is fascinating/creepy to me, but I know they’ll take over the whole house if we let them, so exterminate them, we must.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Today I bought printer ink, so I'm really happy I don't have children to feed, because damn! Printer ink is pricey!

On top of feeding my four Minions, we also home-school them.  We go through lots of food and printing!  But we transitioned to laser printing a long time ago and have never looked back at ink.  There's no comparison for cost.

Still haven't figured out how to feed them cheap.  Even a stop at McDonald's runs into the low $30s, and that doesn't even fill everyone up.

• Like 1

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

8 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

On top of feeding my four Minions, we also home-school them.  We go through lots of food and printing!  But we transitioned to laser printing a long time ago and have never looked back at ink.  There's no comparison for cost.

Still haven't figured out how to feed them cheap.  Even a stop at McDonald's runs into the low $30s, and that doesn't even fill everyone up.

OMG McDonald's is so expensive. It's not as expensive as Sheetz, but it's not cheap either. We have Eat N Park, and I love that so much more. It's not fast, but the nephews can eat a LOT more for the same price as McDonalds, and it's usually a step up. But dang, they love those McNuggets. :(

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

dang, they love those McNuggets.

My daughter is the same way. Even when my wife and I suggest a nice sit-down restaurant with plates of food for only slightly more than McD's, my youngest daughter still cries for McD's, and it's almost always nuggets. My wife has discouraged me from telling her how they're made or why they taste the same at every single McD's everywhere (which is true of most fast food, not just McD's). If I'm choosing fast food, I'd prefer Wendy's, but it's also far from perfect.

We have sooooooo many Sheetz around here, and I love them, but you're right; they can be expensive.

On 9/4/2019 at 11:12 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

I'm feeling outside of my normal today. I'm going to go organize my closet or something annoyingly soothing like that.

Funny! I also felt a bit out of sorts yesterday, so I cleaned my entire yard. I mowed the grass, raked up and picked up trash, and threw away a lot of junk that had just been sitting next to my porch. Must be something in the air...

• Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Elevates

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes Superhuman

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

On 9/4/2019 at 10:16 AM, DrFeelgood said:

We have 3 and the only really cheap meals there are (at home) are chili, lentil soup, bbqed lentils, and chicken noodle soup (sometimes with a cup of overcooked lentils as a thickener). But I believe it was said that man cannot live on lentils alone. 

50 minutes ago, WolfDreamer said:

My daughter is the same way. Even when my wife and I suggest a nice sit-down restaurant with plates of food for only slightly more than McD's, my youngest daughter still cries for McD's, and it's almost always nuggets. My wife has discouraged me from telling her how they're made or why they taste the same at every single McD's everywhere (which is true of most fast food, not just McD's). If I'm choosing fast food, I'd prefer Wendy's, but it's also far from perfect.

Our kids love McDonalds. I don’t hate it. But it’s really not my preferred place. I like Wendy’s, Burger King (Burger Bell),Taco Bell, and White Castle a lot more. Most of the time I’d rather eat at home than have fast food. If we’re going to eat out I’d also rather pay a bit more for a nice sit down place. Even if the kids will clamor for McDonald’s. 

• Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

3 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

But I believe it was said that man cannot live on lentils alone. 

This cracked me up. I realize I’m an instant pot evangelist BUT get one! So many cheap meals to be made easily!! 

• Like 2

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

Current Challenge: Plague

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

5 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

We have sooooooo many Sheetz around here, and I love them, but you're right; they can be expensive.

Funny! I also felt a bit out of sorts yesterday, so I cleaned my entire yard. I mowed the grass, raked up and picked up trash, and threw away a lot of junk that had just been sitting next to my porch. Must be something in the air...

Those nuggets are kid crack. That's for sure.   

I love Sheetz too!  

Man ,you kicked butt yesterday! Now you can walk outside and breathe in the smell of victory!

4 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

We have 3 and the only really cheap meals there are (at home) are chili, lentil soup, bbqed lentils, and chicken noodle soup (sometimes with a cup of overcooked lentils as a thickener). But I believe it was said that man cannot live on lentils alone. 

Our kids love McDonalds. I don’t hate it. But it’s really not my preferred place. I like Wendy’s, Burger King (Burger Bell),Taco Bell, and White Castle a lot more. Most of the time I’d rather eat at home than have fast food. If we’re going to eat out I’d also rather pay a bit more for a nice sit down place. Even if the kids will clamor for McDonald’s. 

The youngest nephew LOVES Taco Bell, and the oldest HATES it. The oldest is 16 and still prefers McDonalds, but at 16, he can eat a LOT OF FOOD. So the local casual dining places are a nice compromise. And the youngest says he loves McDonalds, but he tends to pick at everything then eat burritos when he gets home, so I'm feeling skeptical.

You can get your kids to eat lentils? Dang you're doing an amazing job!

1 hour ago, ladyofthebog said:

This cracked me up. I realize I’m an instant pot evangelist BUT get one! So many cheap meals to be made easily!! 

My grandmother was terrified of pressure cookers and passed her fear onto the rest of us. One day when I move out, I'll get an instant pot and show them all what they're missing out on!

• Like 3

Mom and I went for a three mile hike by a river today. It has tons of rocks and boulders and is pretty amazing/beautiful/challenging. We had a wonderful morning. She had her phone, but I left my camera and phone at home, and just this once, it was nice to not take pictures, but just enjoy the beauty. 

Then the monthly migraine hit, and I spent the afternoon sleeping. Honestly, it's not upsetting anymore. It just happens. I'll feel better in a day or two. :)

See you tomorrow! Have a good night!

• Like 3

I didn't comment on the food thing, but OMG yes, I hate eating out because it is so expensive with teens especially! We have the most luck with local places over chains with food. There is a local grocery store that does amazing hoagies for like less than $6 for a foot long. And everything is really fresh - they even make their ham in store! 

Semi-related rant - I get so frustrated with the kids when they complain about places we go out to eat because, "it doesn't fill me" and I just want to shake them and be like, well then eat a snack at home. I'm not all about paying an extra $5 - $10 a person so you can get all this food because you want to go home super satiated. 

Glad you had a nice hike before the migraine hit. I really like how you just accept it and deal (although it sucks that you have to do so!).

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I didn't comment on the food thing, but OMG yes, I hate eating out because it is so expensive with teens especially! We have the most luck with local places over chains with food. There is a local grocery store that does amazing hoagies for like less than $6 for a foot long. And everything is really fresh - they even make their ham in store! 

Semi-related rant - I get so frustrated with the kids when they complain about places we go out to eat because, "it doesn't fill me" and I just want to shake them and be like, well then eat a snack at home. I'm not all about paying an extra $5 - $10 a person so you can get all this food because you want to go home super satiated. 

Glad you had a nice hike before the migraine hit. I really like how you just accept it and deal (although it sucks that you have to do so!).

Teens are crazy eaters! My nephew can eat for 2-3 people. We make a dozen muffins for 4 people and he eats 8 of them. :D 

My nephew won't complain if he's still hungry, that's the nice thing. They'll both just go home and eat more. But the oldest is very picky about where he eats. Just ask him about French fry quality and relax for an hour. At least. 

I realized I need to do a hike like this weekly now the weather is so nice. I feel AMAZING today, and I don't even have a migraine anymore. I want to feel this good every day. Sure my hips are a little wonky today, but they're just adjusting, it's not a bad feeling. 

I weighed in today and have kept off 15 pounds this challenge. It was definitely a up and down month, but I'm glad to end it on a good number. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and use the scale to keep me on the right track and away from eating ALL THE ICE CREAM. :D

I didn't like this challenge. I don't know what to do for next time. I have some time to decide :) New Beginnings!

• Like 4
On 9/5/2019 at 4:39 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

The youngest nephew LOVES Taco Bell, and the oldest HATES it. The oldest is 16 and still prefers McDonalds, but at 16, he can eat a LOT OF FOOD. So the local casual dining places are a nice compromise. And the youngest says he loves McDonalds, but he tends to pick at everything then eat burritos when he gets home, so I'm feeling skeptical.

We didn’t eat Taco Bell for about 2 years because we ordered our oldest a (regular kid’s) quesadilla and they gave us the super hot chicken quesadilla that was the special. Not super hot to me but too hot for anyone else and a nasty surprise for Woody. It was pretty awful and it wasn’t until a few months ago that they’d agree to eat there again, although they’d joke about getting Taco Bell or putting Taco Bell Sauce on things. We still joke about the hot sauce. 

On 9/5/2019 at 4:39 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

You can get your kids to eat lentils? Dang you're doing an amazing job!

Sssshhhhh! Don’t let them think you’re impressed. I think I’m largely successful because 1. Lentils are amazing fight me and 2. Their little friends don’t know what they are to reflexively turn their little noses up at them. I’ve been dying over veggies and plants but they’ll eat lentils, peas, carrots, and sometimes broccoli and corn. Broccoli has led to some battles, and they’ll tell you I’m a terrible human being. But I told them we need to be made of more than chicken nuggets, Mac and cheese, and pizza lol. 

• Like 2

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

I have returned from my trip to Maine and Acadia National Park, and I'm really excited about it. Acadia was gorgeous! It did not smell of pine everywhere, but there were moments when the scent of the pine trees would rest on the breeze.  We stayed in Bar Harbor which was a tremendous touristy place, and I love touristy places. You can read more about it on my Epic Quest page! (pictures to follow soon!)

No new challenge for me this go-around. I had such a nice break when I was in Maine, and I realized I spend a lot of mental and emotional energy overthinking about challenges, self-reflections, and dealing with failures and disappointments. Less talking thinking, more walking (and drinking? I wanted it to rhyme!). 

See you around the boards! *high fives*

• Like 4