Raxie Dances with the Stars

Raxie

So possibly unsurprisingly if you followed my last challenge which was So You Think You Can Danced themed, this time around I'll be inspiring myself by sprinkling Dancing with the Stars (and Strictly) gifs around this challenge :D.  I'll get back to my regularly scheduled nerdery in September XD

giphy.gif

So let's see, for anyone just joining me the main thing to know is that in the last year I have very seriously gotten into ballroom dancing, mainly latin (so cha cha, rumba, samba, jive, paso doble) but I dabble in smooth/standard (waltz/viennese waltz/foxtrot/tango/quickstep). I have my very first big competition the first weekend of the challenge on August 3 which I have been prepping like CRAZYYYYY during the past challenge.  After that I have a small window to chillax and not be prepping for an impending big event (I've got an intramural/between studios/unofficial competition in September but it's not really a big deal) so I'm going to try to use this challenge to get a handle back on some of the things I've been slacking on in my life.  Like domestic rangering, food stuffs, general organization, and being more consistent with lifting (for the past month I've pretty much just been lifting whenever I have time which sometimes is 3x/week and sometimes was 1x/week so it's just been all over the place).

Here are my goals (bonuses are nice-to-dos but I won't consider it a failure if I don't do them):

Goal 1: Lift

Stick to a real lifting schedule of Monday Wednesday/Thursday and Saturday.  My HRC meetings and private dance lessons vary from week to week in terms of Wednesdays/Thursdays so I'm OK with keeping that particular thing up in the air but I have to make a decision in the beginning of each week which day it will be.

Bonus: Don't skip accessories! (usually I try to do curls, crunches, push ups, pull up work, and calf raises but I've been skimping on the accessory work as of late)

Goal 2: Organize

Use my bullet journal - post my weekly spreads here in the beginning AND end of the week.

Bonus: Post my monthly spreads at the end of the challenge too!

Goal 3: Eat

Only eat out 3 meals a week or less.

Bonus: Share my food log from my bullet journal here.

Goal 4: Maintain

ROMWOD (mobility work for those unfamiliar with it) and meditation 6x/week

Bonus: Attend one or more restorative yoga class during the challenge

Goal 5: Dance

Continuing on from last challenge, share a dance video once a week.  Next challenge I'll probably have to cut this down since I'm running out of material (I don't take the time to take videos every single lesson and don't really want to) but for now, especially after the comp, I should have 5 more weeks of stuff to share :D

Bonus: Practice on my own 3x/week. I haven't really done this before aside from running my routines, but one of my teachers has been giving us great pointers on how and what to do for targeted practice on our own so even if it's just for 15 minutes I want to start doing this.

CommonUnkemptGrub-max-1mb.gif

• Like 11

Definitely following along!

Image result for doom slayer dance gif

20 hours ago, Raxie said:

Don't skip accessories!

I really need to remember this myself! Accessory work aka the "sissy" stuff is usually the game changer in the whole workout, lol. You got dis, Raxie!

Wolf

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Good luck for your competition on Friday!

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

On 7/30/2019 at 2:56 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following!

Yay, thanks Tank! :D

On 7/30/2019 at 3:38 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

LOVE the challenge goals - especially that you're getting into solo practice! It's not on my challenge officially, but I'm likewise trying to get back into that habit now that the partnered practices ease up a bit. It is definitely greta for driving improvement, especially in technique.

Yes! I know I'll definitely hit a wall with only taking classes, and I also know I'm kind of throwing money away by using my lesson times practicing things I could be doing on my own sooooo it's the next natural step.  I mainly didn't know where to begin because my inclination is just to run my routines and maybe to rumba walks for 10 minutes but I know there should be way more to it.  But one of the newer teachers at the studio (who absolutely kicks my butt every time I take a class with her) has had some great pointers on what to do.  I might actually start taking notes on my practicing.

On 7/31/2019 at 1:53 AM, Big_Show said:

I'm still gonna think of this thread as Strictly Come Raxie though.

100% totally OK with this.  I think Strictly is better than DWTS anyway - I'm so pissed BritBox (a streaming service here that has a bunch of British TV) stopped providing it.  There's like basically no way for me to watch Strictly any more and it's KILLING MEEEEEEEEEEE

On 7/31/2019 at 3:54 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Pft, Raxie's a star on the NF forums. Still counts for me.

tenor.gif

21 hours ago, SheriffWolfpool said:

Definitely following along!

I really need to remember this myself! Accessory work aka the "sissy" stuff is usually the game changer in the whole workout, lol. You got dis, Raxie!

Wolf

Woot!

It really is such a game changer! And while I love doing the big lifts, I find the accessory work is really what's leaving me sore and pushing me to do better over time.

18 hours ago, Teros said:

HAH.  This is great.  But I mean honestly he's dancing pretty greatly  - who needs shoes anyway?

16 hours ago, Jarric said:

Good luck for your competition on Friday!

Thank youuuuu!!!!

13 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

As long as you post more dance videos of course I'll follow...

:D Yay! So many dance videos!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Raxie said:

Yes! I know I'll definitely hit a wall with only taking classes, and I also know I'm kind of throwing money away by using my lesson times practicing things I could be doing on my own sooooo it's the next natural step.  I mainly didn't know where to begin because my inclination is just to run my routines and maybe to rumba walks for 10 minutes but I know there should be way more to it.  But one of the newer teachers at the studio (who absolutely kicks my butt every time I take a class with her) has had some great pointers on what to do.  I might actually start taking notes on my practicing.

Totally! It took a while for me to figure out what works well for me in solo practice (heck, I'm still kinda figuring it out) but it's definitely been a game-changer for my development - and it's helped me be better at my partnered practices too!

• Like 2

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

tumblr_p0efoyDlMt1smcw8ho1_400.gif?w=605&ssl=1

Oh em geeee you guys! 2 days from now at this time I will be DONE with my first competition! I feel like I still have so much to do.  I finally finished stoning both my costumes last night. Tonight I'm going to get a spray tan, tomorrow I'm getting my hair and nails done.  Tomorrow night is my last lesson which is basically a dress rehearsal in all my finished costumes with all my jewelry on and everything and maybe some final cleaning of some stuff. AHHHH!!!

Let's see.  In other news, all of which feels really irrelevant because all I can think about is the impending competition, I've been given a new project at work which is REALLY high profile, and the people reporting to me will be in the same room as me for me to basically watch over them at all times which is a WEIRD change in dynamic from what I'm used to.  And also I have only done project management for physics stuff (since that's my background) and this is in a category I know little to nothing about so I'm really going to have to flex my PM skills here since I won't be able to dabble in the technical side of it at all.  Also a weird change in dynamic from what I'm used to! I'm excited though, it should be really good for my career.

And here are my weekly spreads from my bullet journal (I'm starting fresh for August so it's just from today onwards, so this is basically my "beginnging of the week" post).  I'm starting a new section for me to track all my specifics of my mobility work, lifting, and dance practice each week as well (that's what the third picture is).

cffac09f672372a479218a25c82c1d45.jpg

a0f62cb2eafe987aa072ada1298aa9d4.jpg

0d122033bbaadd7d155f158348066962.jpg

I lifted last night (with accessories - barbell curls, RDLs, assisted PUs).  I'm tracking my food. Basically hitting my goals in zero week thus far. 

And here's my dance video for the week - it's from a performance back in April.  As much as some of this is kinda cringey for me now in terms of things I've improved on or we've changed, I am still SO DARN PROUD of how in sync our legs are in the kick section. I was so freaking nervous for that part hahah.

I'm excited to have some fresh videos from this weekend for next week!

• Like 10
12 hours ago, Raxie said:

I finally finished stoning both my costumes last night.

I know you didn't start throwing stones at your clothes all of a sudden, but for the life of me I can't imagine what this phrase might actually mean. Maybe sowing on sparkly glittery shiny stones or something?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 8/1/2019 at 10:42 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

Totally! It took a while for me to figure out what works well for me in solo practice (heck, I'm still kinda figuring it out) but it's definitely been a game-changer for my development - and it's helped me be better at my partnered practices too!

I'm hoping it will do the same for me! One of the things my teacher was saying to do is run the routines with ONLY your frame arm doing stuff and then separately ONLY with the dancing arm doing stuff, and then only after a few runs do it together which I think is really interesting.  I always practice my dancing arm on my own and kind of do my connection arm while I'm doing it, but I never just work it on its own, I'm excited to give it a try!

On 8/2/2019 at 3:26 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

I know you didn't start throwing stones at your clothes all of a sudden, but for the life of me I can't imagine what this phrase might actually mean. Maybe sowing on sparkly glittery shiny stones or something?

HAHAHA literally laughed out loud at this.  Yes gluing literally thousands of rhinestones onto my dresses and shoes. I think the total number ended up being around 7,000 rhinestones XD

• Like 6

source.gif

Omg you guysssss!!!!!  I had the BEST freaking time this weekend at the competition!! Once I got out on the floor, even for our solo where it was just us and judges like staring you down and taking notes and being intimidating as heck I felt SO prepared and confident and even when there were some slip ups I just went with it and had such a blast every moment. 

In terms of goals, it was zero week so I wasn't really trying to hit them but I still kept myself in check.  My eating was not good in terms of not eating out last week because I didn't have time to cook at all with all the prepping and stuff (though I did keep it VERY healthy until after the comp) but good thing it was zero week so I wasn't really chasing that 3x/week eating out goal yet.  I did manage to lift 3x and do all my normally scheduled accessories, and I did ROMWOD a few times but again wasn't trying to hit the 6x/week yet. I definitely barely meditated which sucks but that's OK I'll do better this week now that I can focus on non-dance things for a millisecond.

So here's my video for the week! It was our very first heat out of 11, and we got on the floor and literally forgot all our choreo and essentially made this up as we went along XD. Well technically he made it up as we went along and I followed what he was doing.  Like literally the entire thing is not what we prepared, one of those steps isn't even supposed to be in our routine XD XD. In retrospect it doesn't look THAT bad aside from my overall technique level dropping an absurd amount due to panic and also in one spot I tried to turn and he led me into a check instead so I look a little flustered and and my arms did a weird thing but luckily the judges weren't look at that point. The panic was real though let me tell ya hahah:

After that though all other 10 of our heats went along fine without incident, including doing the cha cha again twice.  But of course there is only video of this cha cha because of how far away we were on the floor from our studio folks for the other two so they couldn't record. ::shrug:: oh well

Also I've been asked this question already by one of my friends so I'll just address it in case you have the same one - no I am not competing against children XD There are some kids on the floor at the same time but it's a different "event", they're all competing against each other and I'm competing against some of the adults, and then the rest of the adults are competing against each other.  Basically there are multiple competitions on the floor at once, I don't envy the judges honestly. It's weird because aside from the obvious children who you know you aren't going up against you never know which couples you're actually being judged against while you're dancing.  Such a weird feeling.

• Like 14
On 8/2/2019 at 3:26 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

THANK YOU I was going to ask the same thing when I read that.

Image result for napoleon dynamite dancing skills

• Haha 2

That dance competition sounds like a lot of fun. I have only ever tried the most basic levels of social and ballroom dancing, but the tricks always look so cool. You making stuff up as you went for that first heat reminds me of the MULTIPLE times I have made up "words" in French when forgetting a line or two for a recital. Mind you, I don't know French, so if the people listening actually spoke the language, they would probably be offended, but most people have absolutely no idea xD

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

On 8/6/2019 at 9:10 AM, Teros said:

THANK YOU I was going to ask the same thing when I read that.

Image result for napoleon dynamite dancing skills

Hahaha sorry for the confusion! :P

Thanks!!! :D

14 hours ago, Aquarii said:

That dance competition sounds like a lot of fun. I have only ever tried the most basic levels of social and ballroom dancing, but the tricks always look so cool. You making stuff up as you went for that first heat reminds me of the MULTIPLE times I have made up "words" in French when forgetting a line or two for a recital. Mind you, I don't know French, so if the people listening actually spoke the language, they would probably be offended, but most people have absolutely no idea xD

Oh my gosh that's hilarious! I assume you're talking about opera?

UnrulyElegantCrustacean-size_restricted.gif

1f525.png1f525.png1f525.png

Hokay. I guess it's time for my "beginning of the week" update??? Not sure how it got to be Wednesday already.  Here's my plans (some of which are already done) for my goals:

Goal 1: Lift

Stick to a real lifting schedule of Monday Wednesday/Thursday and Saturday. Don't skip accessories

Planning on lifting M/W/S with my accessories - the accessories I'm currently working are push ups, calf raises, pull ups, barbell curls, and RDLs scattered throughout my alternating workouts of the big lifts (ie SQ/FSQ/DL/BP/BBR/OHP).

Goal 2: Organize

Use my bullet journal and post weekly spreads here in the beginning and end of the week

I'm not posting my end of the week spread for zero week, but I will share my weekly workout log spread from zero week because I love how it's turning out.  I've been trying to track my daily stuff for a long time and am excited I finally came up with a good format:

Zero Week Workout Log Spread

d87cda26acbb70919ddcbd552a048e60.jpg

Andddd here's my plan for this week:

Week One Weekly Plan

56dcaf897be0084c745b5642d99b9705.jpg

Goal 3: Eat

Only eat out 3 meals a week or less. Share my food log at the end of the week here.

So far in week one I've eaten out once (indo-chinese last night, my new favourite type of cuisine.) I'm having leftovers today for lunch but it still only counts as once since the intent is my wallet and not not self cooked food.

Zero Week Food Log (started in August so only half the week)

4e864cc20a32450f9cb00ca5558cce00.jpg

Sorry it's not too legible.  Things definitely got a little crazy in terms of nutrition after the comp but I'm OK with it. Empanadas and a veggie burger and a five guys grilled cheese were just what the doctor ordered.

Goal 4: Maintain

ROMWOD & Meditate 6x/week

Only starting this goal in earnest this week. So far I did this on Monday and skipped yesterday.  Tuesday is my planned skip day so that's fine.

Goal 5: Dance

Share one dance video a week.  Practice on my own 3x/week.

I already shared my video for this week (and zero week FWIW) and have scheduled in my bullet journal to do some practice on my own today, tomorrow, and Friday.

• Like 7

UntriedBareKingbird-size_restricted.gif

Quickly wanted to share some meal prepping I'm planning on doing tonight to keep myself accountable. It's my only evening off until next Wednesday so I could totally see myself just going home and plopping down for some R&R but I've gotta keep on keepin' on. My plan is to do 2 options for each meal (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner & Snack). This is a bit more ambitious than my usual meal prep strategy but I want to really cut down on my eating out and I think variety is key. Some of the stuff I can only prep so much because it can't sit all together (like salads and such) but I'll prep it as much as I can so I can assemble it easily later.

Breakfasts:

• Sausage, sliced hardboiled egg, asparagus & hollandaise
  • Lox bagel bowl (greek yogurt, everything bagel spice, lox, jalapeno, cucumber, capers, scallions)

Lunches:

• Turkey, Bacon, Avocado, Ranch Salad
  • Lemon & Thyme chicken salad (using greek yogurt instead of mayo) over mixed greens

Dinners:

• Instant pot pork carnitas with avocado cilantro slaw and green chile lime quinoa
  • Gluten free pasta with roasted garlic & spinach meat sauce

Snacks:

• Goat cheese stuffed peppadews
  • Banana split yogurt bowl (vanilla cream on top yogurt, bananas, peanut butter, cocoa nibs)
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Raxie said:

Instant pot pork carnitas with avocado cilantro slaw and green chile lime quinoa

Ima need you to hit me with this recipe tho

Congrats on your first competition!!! WOO HOO!

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads