Jump to content

KaraDavar speaks the first Ideal


Recommended Posts

Life Before Death, Strength Before Weakness, Journey Before Destination.

 

Hi, NerdFitness! 

 

I discovered this website a few months back, and never actually took the dive into this pool. I ended up quite stuck, not walking my journey. But here I am, so I thought it was time to start my first 6 week challenge!

 

January of this year, I started taking professional wrestling classes. I've wanted to do it since I was a teenager, but for a slew of reasons, mostly relating to fear of people's reactions, never did. Until I went to a show, saw the women up there doing t, and realised that I'm 28, not getting younger, and I was more afraid of being 48 and regretting never having tried than I was of the potential backlash from people. And you know what? It's been completely wonderful.

So that's the main crux of my fitness goals. Get strong. Get trained. Keep Flying.

 

In terms of diet, I'm consistently hitting my macros, but because I find food so stressful, I eat a very limited diet, which I'm sure isn't ideal, so I'd like to vary this up a bit.

 

In addition to that, my girlfriend's mam is visiting in September from Germany, and my German is ruuuuuusty. So I want to take the steps necessary to be able to better talk to her.

Fitness/Diet Goals
 

  • Attend the gym 3x per week, following the GZCLP program.
  • Attend wrestling classes 2x per week.
  • Continue hitting macros, making two proper, from scratch, varied meals over the course of the challenge.

 

Life Goal
 

  • Take online German lessons, at least twice weekly.

 

See you all for the challenge!

  • Like 8

|| Current (and first!) challenge ||

"I will take responsibility for what I have done. If I must fall, I will rise each time a better woman."

Link to comment

Wilkommen! Meine Schwiegereltern sind auch Deutsch. And my German is also... not bad, but not as good as I'd like. The wrestling sounds totally rad! You'll have to let us know how it goes and what cool stuff you learn there. What is it about food you find stressful--is it just the effort and time of choosing meals, shopping and preparing them?

  • Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment

Danke schön! Ich habe die Mutter meiner Freundin nie getroffen, deshalb ich möchte dass sie mich mag. :lol: Vielleicht wenn ich ein bisschen gutes Deutsch sprechen kann, sie wird. If I may ask, how have you found navigating the language barrier?

I'll make sure to post regular updates regarding the wrestling! It's an exciting journey.

Food wise, it's a lot of things. Finding tasty, cheap, high protein, low skill, vegetarian* food is an overwhelming task, especially given that my house has really limited freezer space so I can't bulk cook. Combine that with a history of a bad food relationship and.... well, I'm hesitant to rock the boat when I've found some things that work for me.

(*While I'm not vegetarian/vegan, many of my housemates are, so I don't like cooking meat in the house.)

  • Like 5

|| Current (and first!) challenge ||

"I will take responsibility for what I have done. If I must fall, I will rise each time a better woman."

Link to comment

Hello and welcome!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

 

Link to comment

Wrestling sounds really interesting!!

There are a bunch of pro wrestling fans on the NF forums for sure.

 

On 7/31/2019 at 11:19 AM, KaraDavar said:

Food wise, it's a lot of things. Finding tasty, cheap, high protein, low skill, vegetarian* food is an overwhelming task, especially given that my house has really limited freezer space so I can't bulk cook.

 

Yeah, a freezer really does help. My favorite easy thing is spicy cheesy red lentils. You can adapt it with whatever you like and have laying around the house.

I cook some kind of grain (usually rice).

Sautee some onion if I have it. Sometimes add some jalepeno. Whatever spices I feel like...usually some kind of middle eastern mix or curry-ish stuff. Cook a cup of lentils...either in the recommended amount of water, or less water but adding a can of diced tomatoes. All this so far is kind of normal.

For me what makes it taste a million times better is a bit of shredded cheese sprinkled on top. It doesn't really go with any of the other stuff in an obvious way, but I love it.

 

Protein powder helps get the protein up, but it can be expensive, and I'm guessing you already thought of that.

And eggs.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

 

Link to comment
8 hours ago, Xena said:

Wrestling sounds really interesting!!

There are a bunch of pro wrestling fans on the NF forums for sure.

 

It has been great fun! I look forward to meeting other fans.
 

8 hours ago, Xena said:

Yeah, a freezer really does help. My favorite easy thing is spicy cheesy red lentils. You can adapt it with whatever you like and have laying around the house.

I cook some kind of grain (usually rice).

Sautee some onion if I have it. Sometimes add some jalepeno. Whatever spices I feel like...usually some kind of middle eastern mix or curry-ish stuff. Cook a cup of lentils...either in the recommended amount of water, or less water but adding a can of diced tomatoes. All this so far is kind of normal.

For me what makes it taste a million times better is a bit of shredded cheese sprinkled on top. It doesn't really go with any of the other stuff in an obvious way, but I love it.

 

That sounds amaaazing. I actually really like lentils as a protein source. I just wish I could cook them without making a horrific mess in the kitchen. :sorrow:

 

8 hours ago, Xena said:

Protein powder helps get the protein up, but it can be expensive, and I'm guessing you already thought of that.

And eggs.

 

Those are things I eat daily tbh. Short-dated protein powder is a gods-send for my purse strings.

  • Like 1

|| Current (and first!) challenge ||

"I will take responsibility for what I have done. If I must fall, I will rise each time a better woman."

Link to comment
On 7/31/2019 at 8:19 AM, KaraDavar said:

Danke schön! Ich habe die Mutter meiner Freundin nie getroffen, deshalb ich möchte dass sie mich mag. :lol: Vielleicht wenn ich ein bisschen gutes Deutsch sprechen kann, sie wird. If I may ask, how have you found navigating the language barrier?

 

Well, my German is fluent but by no means masterful.  So people who are interested in me take the time and effort to let me speak my imperfect German and to understand and include me in conversations. People who are not that interested let the conversation pass me by because their German is faster than mine, and it's difficult to break into those conversations and participate really effectively. 

 

I have also been trying out vegetarian recipes because Mr Harriet is very environmentally conscious and doesn't want to eat so much meat. I have a few that work and aren't difficult, but they generally have a little less protein than the meat dishes. 

  • Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment

It's just occurred to me that Zero Week is a thing.

ZERO WEEK!

 

Wrestling

  • Wednesday Class - [√]
  • Saturday Class - [√]

So I've just gotten home from the first Saturday wrestling class I've done in months. The last umpteen times I've tried, I've ended up bailing, because mornings are difficult. But I made it regardless. I'm really glad I did as well; one of my classmates ran some ideas by me regarding a trio we could form down the line. That's a fairly long way off happening, but it's got me thinking to the future, and got my creativity flowing, so I'm super stoked.

Gym

  • Tuesday Gym - [√]
  • Thursday Gym - [√]
  • Sunday Gym - [  ] (I mean, it isn't Sunday yet :P )

I had a pretty bad mental setback last night when I realised that the goals I'd set myself in terms of upper body strength (1.5x BW Bench, 1x BW OHP, current bodyweight being 57.5kg) are lofty to the point of unrealistic. At the very least, they're the numbers of competition powerlifters, which is not necessarily a level of commitment I have, what with everything else. These HAD been numbers I was hoping to hit in a year to 18 months. I'm now wondering whether to temper these as goals, or whether to just readjust my time frame expectations, or what. Either way, even shooting and missing will no doubt get me close enough for jazz.

Nutrition

  • Hitting Daily Targets - [√]
  • Cooking From Scratch - [  ]

So I've been consistently hitting 50 either side of 1400kcal with 100g of protein. I realise these are low for someone who wants to lift big numbers, and that this will need to go up. I don't know whether to just increase that now, and accept that that will entail some body fat gain (a thing that I already feel very uncomfortable with), or whether to keep it as is, try to get less fluffy during the early days of LP, and then bump up the calories when the lift numbers start requiring it.

While I haven't done fresh cooking, I have decided that I want to make shakshuka. That feels positive.

All comments/advice welcomed.

On to the next step! :) 

  • Like 4

|| Current (and first!) challenge ||

"I will take responsibility for what I have done. If I must fall, I will rise each time a better woman."

Link to comment
3 hours ago, KaraDavar said:

So I've just gotten home from the first Saturday wrestling class I've done in months. The last umpteen times I've tried, I've ended up bailing, because mornings are difficult. But I made it regardless.

 

YEAH! you did well. 
 

3 hours ago, KaraDavar said:

I had a pretty bad mental setback last night when I realised that the goals I'd set myself in terms of upper body strength (1.5x BW Bench, 1x BW OHP, current bodyweight being 57.5kg) are lofty to the point of unrealistic.

 

Yeah, as someone who's not naturally gifted at powerlifting but who loves it anyway, I've had to readjust my goals. I'm aiming for "intermediate" numbers this year, which I took from "symmetric strength"... just a website that gives some guidelines based on your weight and sex. Anyway, I reckon a 1xBW OHP is super, super advanced, and a 1.5xBW bench is pretty advanced. For females, anyway. Yeah... it's more satisfying to dwell on the size of my deadlift than my presses. 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment
9 hours ago, KaraDavar said:

It's just occurred to me that Zero Week is a thing.

 

It is a thing, but it's completely optional. People use it in different ways...some people get a head start on their challenges, some people use it to adjust and figure out goals., some people slack off...errr rest and recover. You might already know this, but it's useful to remember to take breaks if you need them.

 

Great job making it to the morning class.

  • Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

 

Link to comment

Welcome to Nerd Fitness! You've got a great list of goals there, I wish you luck. 

 

On 8/4/2019 at 11:05 AM, Xena said:

some people slack off...errr rest and recover.

Mood.

 

But on a less slacker note, we are running a mini in Rebel Guild this challenge and you are welcome to join in the fun if you're interested! Come check it out: 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh hi, NerdFitness!

 

I thought I'd give you lovely folks an update on what's been going on with me.
 

Gym

  • Tuesday gym - [√]
    • BP 30kg - 5, 5, 8
    • DL 36.3kg - 10, 10, 10
    • DB Row 8kg - 15, 15, 20

I feel like this session went pretty well. The big lifts both felt fairly comfortable, and pushing to 20 reps on the last set of DB rows felt good, given that I was aiming at getting 18. I feel like I made some technical improvements in my bench, in terms of stabilising my upper back and shoulders, but I definitely noticed my need to practice using more leg drive. All in all, not a bad session.

 

Nutrition

 

 

So this completely fell off. Without going into too many details, a relationship crisis made maintaining my diet not possible for a couple of days while we patched things up. The immediate aftermath of the crisis was a case of "just eat something instead of nothing", and then yesterday was reconciliation over lunch, where I couldn't count macros. But, as that's being taken care of, I'm back on the saddle as of today, and will update further as it comes up.

 

General Comments

 

Damn, this song is the most motivational thing ever. I need to create a playlist of Metal Motivation.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

|| Current (and first!) challenge ||

"I will take responsibility for what I have done. If I must fall, I will rise each time a better woman."

Link to comment
36 minutes ago, KaraDavar said:

But, as that's being taken care of, I'm back on the saddle as of today, and will update further as it comes up.

 

Everyone gets thrown sometimes. Getting back on track as soon as you can is the thing that matters. You're doing well. 
 

37 minutes ago, KaraDavar said:

Gym

  • Tuesday gym - [√]
    • BP 30kg - 5, 5, 8
    • DL 36.3kg - 10, 10, 10
    • DB Row 8kg - 15, 15, 20

I feel like this session went pretty well. The big lifts both felt fairly comfortable, and pushing to 20 reps on the last set of DB rows felt good, given that I was aiming at getting 18. I feel like I made some technical improvements in my bench, in terms of stabilising my upper back and shoulders, but I definitely noticed my need to practice using more leg drive. All in all, not a bad session.

 

Yay for lifting!!! 

  • Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment
On 7/30/2019 at 4:17 PM, KaraDavar said:

January of this year, I started taking professional wrestling classes. I've wanted to do it since I was a teenager, but for a slew of reasons, mostly relating to fear of people's reactions, never did. Until I went to a show, saw the women up there doing t, and realised that I'm 28, not getting younger, and I was more afraid of being 48 and regretting never having tried than I was of the potential backlash from people. And you know what? It's been completely wonderful.

So that's the main crux of my fitness goals. Get strong. Get trained. Keep Flying.

 

That is some inspirational awesomeness right there.

 

Other than the nutrition crisis moment, you seem to be doing really well on your goals - making it to class and gym regularly. Let us know how you are doing! I hope you are doing okay.

  • Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41

Link to comment
On 8/3/2019 at 6:30 PM, KaraDavar said:

I'm now wondering whether to temper these as goals, or whether to just readjust my time frame expectations

 

Either is fine. So is getting back into a challenge after some time off. How's it going?

 

On 8/7/2019 at 5:24 PM, Harriet said:

Everyone gets thrown sometimes.

This.

 

 

 

Legally bound to hug people in need.

 

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

Link to comment

Well, yikes. I had been committed to posting here regularly, but then I started completely falling off my diet goals. The weird thing is, I seem to have lost some body as soon as I started eating junk food, which is confusing as heck. :/

 

I seem to be having trouble keeping in mind that falling down doesn't make the whole journey pointless. Especially as I only fell off one aspect of my quest, being diet. I've still been hitting the gym regularly, and I'll be back wrestling as soon as my neck heals up. So... yeah. Still going. Not perfect, but hopefully always trending better.

 

I also found the records of my old lifts. What I thought was a PR overhead press tonight, apparently isn't. Don't quite know how to feel about that. On the one hand, I'm weaker. On the other, I feel better in my body than I did when I was dirty bulking. *shrug*

 

Anyway, hopefully this is me back.

  • Like 3

|| Current (and first!) challenge ||

"I will take responsibility for what I have done. If I must fall, I will rise each time a better woman."

Link to comment

No worries - we all fall off the wagon on a goal now and again: it’s a process and it’s not the falling off that matters - it’s the getting back up again and moving forward that is key.

You’ve got this!

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines