CQ: "Ab"solutely Badass

Image result for tia-clair toomey crossfit

If you're going to have a challenge highlighting some of the fittest, most badass women in the world, you've got to start with the current fittest woman in the world!

Although by the time this challenge starts, she might not be who am I kidding, Tia is so going to win again!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a while since I've done an intro to a challenge, so here goes. Hey there! I'm Charlie, known around here as CQ. I started my NF journey way back in 2014 when I decided to do my second ever Tough Mudder and wanted to actually train properly for it, instead of just doing a fun lap. That kick started a 5 year love affair with OCR's and running! Since then, I've completed more obstacle races and road/trail runs that I can even remember and I managed to convince a few of the UK Rangers to join me in the madness!

Last year I decided to sign up for a particularly grueling ultra marathon and dedicated 6 months to training for it. Alas, things didn't go to plan and I ended up DNFing 13 miles into the race with what turned out to be a mix of IT band syndrome and glute tendinopathy. During the six months of running training, I had reduced my strength training down to almost nothing, which it turns out, is a very bad idea! I took a forced break from running, slowly started strength training again and then with some slight changes to my running form, I started running again from scratch. 

Then in December of last year, I found out that there was a Crossfit gym 5 minutes down the road from my house. I'd always been curious about CF and decided to give the foundation course and free classes a go. Well, I was hooked from day one! My strength has increased massively in the last 7 months, and I love that every time I walk in the gym I'm going to be challenged. It's also given my confidence a much needed boost.

The only problem is, I've been enjoying CrossFitting so much, I've neglected running! This is really starting to show in the WODS that have running programmed into them. I've tried for the last few challenges to get a regular running routine going, but I haven't had much luck. The OCR season is winding down a little, but I still a few to do and I'd like to not have to walk most of them! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's not really much of a theme for this challenge, but seeing as the CrossFit games starts this week, I thought I might as well get some inspiration from some of the awesome ladies of CrossFit. So expect lots of pictures of insanely fit women doing amazing things.

Related image

Like this. Samantha Briggs is my hero

I'm just going to have 2 goals this time around:

Goal 1:

Run Twice a week

Simple, right? Get my ass out the door and run, probably on a Wednesday and Sunday. Distance isn't important right now, I just want to build the habit again.

Goal 2:

Pull up training 3 times a week

I can do underhand grip (chin ups), but I've never been able to do a proper overhand grip pull up. We do a lot of work at CF on hollow holds, scapular raises and 'beat swings' as a pull up progression and I can tell my strength in this area is improving, so I want to practice this in my own time at home. My gym wrote us a pull up program that includes all these movements along with negative pull ups so I'm going to follow this. 

Disclaimer: I'm currently rehabbing my shoulder from a minor injury that I picked up (by injury, I mean that my shoulders were hella weak before I started CrossFit and I tried to do too much too soon!) so the pull up goal is going to be dependent on my shoulder behaving itself. If it starts to get too much, I'm going to terminate or scale back this goal as needed and/or find an alternative

These goals will be on top of my regular CrossFit classes three times a week and my lifting & mobility sessions I do at home.

Related image

I want to be a Dottir

• Like 6

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

9 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Samantha Briggs is my hero

Yay!

9 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I want to be a Dottir

Annie's the only 'dottir I ever liked and that's because she's always smiling, even if some people feel it's fake or forced. I know most people won't share my dislike of both Sigismundottir and especially Davidsdottir, but fight me, they're annoying. Another reason for me to cheer on Tia (again) this year.

Also, this thread needs more of my favourite (female) Crossfit goofball, Kara Whatsherlastnamethesedays

Kara-Webb-800x400.png

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Annie's the only 'dottir I ever liked and that's because she's always smiling, even if some people feel it's fake or forced. I know most people won't share my dislike of both Sigismundottir and especially Davidsdottir, but fight me, they're annoying. Another reason for me to cheer on Tia (again) this year.

I love them all but yeah, Annie is the best. That look on her face when she finished the C&J speed ladder last year

Image result for annie thorisdottir clean and jerk speed ladder

30 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Also, this thread needs more of my favourite (female) Crossfit goofball, Kara Whatsherlastnamethesedays

Kara-Webb-800x400.png

Don't worry, Kara Saunders will feature at some point! Her quads are amazing

16 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Hey Charlie! So so so so so good to see you!!

Cool theme, wow, those abs on the first photo :o 

(i thought it was going to be ab fab at first, you know, smoking and drinking and swearing hahahah) 

Good luck with this challenge, not that you need it, you are BADASS xx

I know right? Talk about ab goals! 

I was going to call it Absolutely Fabulous, but it didn't quite fit with the theme. Not that I don't drink and swear like a sailor :P

• Like 3

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

4 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I know right? Talk about ab goals! 

I was going to call it Absolutely Fabulous, but it didn't quite fit with the theme. Not that I don't drink and swear like a sailor :P

Dont think i have anything under all this fat :( i think those muscles dont exist on me. 

Hahaha you and me both ;) xx

• Like 1

tumblr_lxlo3tEA4t1qb9pa3o1_500.gif

^I may have had a similar thought to Sal when I read your title :P 

Following along, and I promise to try and badger you to get out running!

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

The OCR season is winding down a little

Pretty sure there's one every weekend in September ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

26 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Dont think i have anything under all this fat :( i think those muscles dont exist on me. 

Self deprecation is banned on this challenge. We'll have none of that around here. You know where abs are made? In utero. Everyone has abdominal muscles, if you didn't you would flop in half! 

I don't want this challenge to be something that makes you or anyone else  judge themselves in a negative way.  When I say that these are 'ab goals' I'm really not being serious. I want to be really clear here, I'm posting these pics in celebration of these incredible women, not to wish for myself to be different. Comparing ourselves to these athletes would be insane. We aren't professional athletes, we are normal everyday people doing the best we can. You are working to improve your health and that is the best thing you can do for yourself. Be proud of yourself for that. I'm proud of you. 

13 minutes ago, Jarric said:

Following along, and I promise to try and badger you to get out running!

Thanks. I think I'm really going to need it!

13 minutes ago, Jarric said:

Pretty sure there's one every weekend in September ;) 

Yeah, but I'm not doing most of them! I'm only doing Nuts and Nuclear and that's it.

• Like 3

2020 Races: 

25 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Self deprecation is banned on this challenge. We'll have none of that around here. You know where abs are made? In utero. Everyone has abdominal muscles, if you didn't you would flop in half! 

I don't want this challenge to be something that makes you or anyone else  judge themselves in a negative way.  When I say that these are 'ab goals' I'm really not being serious. I want to be really clear here, I'm posting these pics in celebration of these incredible women, not to wish for myself to be different. Comparing ourselves to these athletes would be insane. We aren't professional athletes, we are normal everyday people doing the best we can. You are working to improve your health and that is the best thing you can do for yourself. Be proud of yourself for that. I'm proud of you. 

ooops 

tenor.gif?itemid=7353714

Ok no negative self talk hehe. 

Thanks Charlie, Maybe one day there will be some abs there, prob not but thats ok!!! Yes im working on being better in all aspects of myself. And thats good enough, as long as im working towards these goals. 

And you are totally right, lets celebrate these women. 

I would love to find some people to look up to (apart from you lot in the Rangers) and be inspired by. Know of any strong cool runners who play football?!? haha

Anyway, thanks again Charlie. Love you xx

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Salinger said:

Ok no negative self talk hehe. 

I told you a while ago that I was going to call you out on that whenever I saw it :P

Thanks Charlie, Maybe one day there will be some abs there, prob not but thats ok!!! Yes im working on being better in all aspects of myself. And thats good enough, as long as im working towards these goals. 

You have abs, just because you can't see them doesn't mean they aren't there! And it doesn't matter if you can't see them. Keep working with your trainer and on your nutrition and those abs will get stronger. At the end of the day, strength > aesthetics.

And you are totally right, lets celebrate these women. 

I would love to find some people to look up to (apart from you lot in the Rangers) and be inspired by. Know of any strong cool runners who play football?!? haha

I don't know about runners who play football, but the USA Football team are pretty damn cool and inspiring.

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following!

flirty flirting GIF by Justin

• Like 3

2020 Races: 

Happy CrossFit Games day!

excited crossfit games GIF by CrossFit Inc.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Castro's cooked up for day 1.

Week 0 - Wednesday

Running - DONE!

I actually managed to get kick off this challenge with a run! I didn't do much, just easy 2.5 miles. Just enough to shake off the cobwebs and remind myself that, yes, I can run!

I've not started the pull up program yet as I managed to shred my hands during CrossFit on Tuesday night. We did a long skills session working on Toes to Bar. I mentioned in the last challenge that I really struggle with the timing for T2B and end up flopping around like a dying fish. The coach broke down each movement (hollow, arch, kip and leg raise) and we went over them again and again. This was so helpful and I managed to keep myself tight and could swing my legs up without flailing wildly. I don't have the core strength to get my legs to the bar yet, but I was consistent with my kips and hit my 'target' point (we were told to pick a point on the wall opposite and make sure our feet made it to that point on each swing) each time. 

After the skills work we did a wod with.......Toes to Bar! Of course! We also had squat cleans and running. doing high rep T2B and cleans right after an intense skills session finished my hands off. I've get a few tears on my palm that are really sore. I'm praying we don't have anything too grip intensive this evening!

Yesterday, Stu asked me if there was anything in particular I wanted for my birthday. Without hesitation I said 'Gymnastics Grips!' Hopefully these will help keep my hands in better shape the next time T2B comes up!

• Like 7

2020 Races: 

Thanks Charlie!! I’ll keep working hard yes!

i would say Alex Morgan (from the US footy team) to look up to - but if I’m being totally honest I’m unsure I can get over the fact that I really want to sleep with her hahahahahaha 

Ooops xx

I think it's OK to be inspired by someone and want to sleep with them too!

• Haha 1

2020 Races: 

Week 0 - Thursday

I came very close to cancelling CF first thing in the morning because 1) my hands were still fucked, and 2) my upper body still felt trashed! Decided to suck it up, go anyway and sub/scaled the hell out of the workout if needed!

Strength 

5x5 Push Press

WOD

Buy in 100D/U or 200 Singles, then: 

4RFT

10 Shoulder to overhead

10 squats

20 wallballs (unbroken)

Not the best workout considering I'm still rehabbing the shoulder. Luckily the class was being run by the movement coach, so she was aware of my shoulder issues and was able to give me some pointers and technique help.

We were supposed to use the same weight on the bar during the wod for both the STOH and the squats, moving the bar from front rack to back rack, but seeing as I would have done this with a very light weight for the overhead, she let me set up 2 bars, one on the floor and one on the rig so I could squat a heavier weight and not blow through the workout in 10 minutes! 

I did 22.5kg for the strength and then 18kg for the WOD with 35kg on the bar for the squat. The worst part was doing 20 unbroken wall balls after squatting! I finished in 13:15 on a 14 min time cap so I was happy with that, especially as I had only the slightly twinge in my shoulder right near the end of the workout and no pain afterwards.

• Like 5

2020 Races: 

49 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I finished in 13:15 on a 14 min time cap so I was happy with that, especially as I had only the slightly twinge in my shoulder right near the end of the workout and no pain afterwards.

That sounds like something worthy of being happy about! Getting in a workout when you didn't feel like it, scaling it to not make an injury worse, getting it done under the time cap and having no pain afterwards is all kinds of winning. Sounds like you have a good coach at your box. That is always helpful!

• Like 2

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I came very close to cancelling CF first thing in the morning because 1) my hands were still fucked, and 2) my upper body still felt trashed! Decided to suck it up, go anyway and sub/scaled the hell out of the workout if needed!

Nice work getting in there. I agree with @jstanlick, it sounds like you have a really good coach who works with individual abilities and injuries

• Like 1

How can I not be following :)

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

On 8/2/2019 at 2:12 PM, jstanlick said:

That sounds like something worthy of being happy about! Getting in a workout when you didn't feel like it, scaling it to not make an injury worse, getting it done under the time cap and having no pain afterwards is all kinds of winning. Sounds like you have a good coach at your box. That is always helpful!

I couldn't be happier! I've noticed I'm feeling at lot more comfortable and confident at the box now. I would get butterflies before going even months into it, but that seems to have passed. I'm also less nervous about asking the coach questions or asking for a sub if there is something I'm not capable of doing (yet). I really love the confidence this is giving me.

On 8/2/2019 at 2:54 PM, Maigs said:

Nice work getting in there. I agree with @jstanlick, it sounds like you have a really good coach who works with individual abilities and injuries

I really lucked out with this box. Having a qualified sports therapist on staff is so helpful. I know there can be some CF boxes that have poor coaching, but I really can't fault a single one of them.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:53 PM, Salinger said:

oh man, how are you so cool? Good job Charlie woooooo x

Haha! I'm really not! I'm such a dork! :D

Which isn't me being self deprecating BTW, I love being a dork. Embrace the weird!

adventure time eyes GIF by hoppip

7 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hope your weekend was excellent xx

It was, thanks! How was yours?

3 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

How can I not be following :)

joey tribbiani friends GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2020 Races: 

Week Zero - Weekend Update

Image result for tia clair toomey

She did it! Not that there was any doubt. I love this woman so much!

Friday - Rest day 

Much needed! 

Saturday - CrossFit

Partner Metcon day - My partner didn't show up so I had to do the first part of the workout alone. 

You-go-I-go AMRAP 9mins

10cal erg (I did row) 

5 burpees

Because I didn't have anyone to work with, I was told to take a break for the length of time it took me to finish a round. Which felt odd just sitting there, waiting, no one to cheer on. So for part 2, I got put with a pair and told to go synchro with one of the pair. So one person worked alone and then the other person and I would go in tandem

I can't remember to rep ranges, but basically the workout was descending reps of double/single unders, Db Snatches and burpees. We did really well and were on the last round when the time cap hit. I'm really finding these long Metcons helpful and I'm really feeling a change in my conditioning.

Then, before the class finished, the coach decided to give us a finisher. And made as all do an ab session again! Just what you want after all the burpees!

Sunday - Hike

This should have been a run, but I got up late and then decided I wanted to go for a hike at a local nature reserve that I've driven by numerous times and not got around to visiting. We walked for about 2 hours, including a power walk up a steep hill and then stopped in the pub for a pint. It was a perfect way to spend a Sunday, so much so that we're probably going to do it next weekend with my brother, his wife and their dog!

I'm going to start my pull up training tonight. I'm lifting at home so I'm going to start the session off with my pull up work and then do some squats. If I have time, I'll deadlift too.

• Like 7

2020 Races: 

2 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

This should have been a run, but I got up late and then decided I wanted to go for a hike at a local nature reserve that I've driven by numerous times and not got around to visiting. We walked for about 2 hours, including a power walk up a steep hill and then stopped in the pub for a pint. It was a perfect way to spend a Sunday, so much so that we're probably going to do it next weekend with my brother, his wife and their dog!

I've got to disagree, the perfect way to spend that afternoon would have been to run for 2 hours to tire out your own over energetic pup before settling down in the pub :P 

• Like 2

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

12 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I've got to disagree, the perfect way to spend that afternoon would have been to run for 2 hours to tire out your own over energetic pup before settling down in the pub :P 

we tv reality GIF by Braxton Family Values

I'll compromise and say walking the dog for a few hours, then going to pub to drink beer and eat freshly cooked stone-baked pizza. Which is the plan for next Sunday :P

• Like 3

2020 Races: 

1 minute ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'll compromise and say walking the dog for a few hours, then going to pub to drink beer and eat freshly cooked stone-baked pizza. Which is the plan for next Sunday :P

I don't know what you are talking about. 2 hours is still a fun time to run. It doesn't get grindy until 3-5 hours and not hellish until after 7 (yeah still considering that 25 hour 110k).

• Haha 2

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler