• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DJtrippyT

DJTrippyT: Worth it

On 8/10/2019 at 7:28 PM, DJtrippyT said:

Recipe night! Scallops with spicy creole sauce

69B81EF4-1683-4003-8AF8-BBFE9F1AF47F.jpeg

Hmm, I probably shouldn't have looked at that before getting to my eating window for the day. Looks darn tasty!

okay, briefest of wrap ups for last week and then I have to decide if I'm abiding by my rest day today or going to run on the treadmill, which I really don't want to do. ETA: I am finishing this from my couch so the treadmill did not win.

I didn't track my food over the weekend, it wasn't anything crazy. I didn't really have a cheat day but I ate some ice cream on Saturday.

Saturday I did a bike ride with the women's cycling group that I joined. I did one ride with them a couple months back and it was so deeply traumatic that I haven't done any others, plus they all seem to start at the crack of dawn and have stuff like "We're going at 16-17 mph so please only join if you can keep up" and the only way I'm doing 17 mph for 18 miles is on an electric bike while snorting an entire suitcase of cocaine. This week though it was on the comet so I didn't have to keep up or worry about being lost; I just signed up and put a note in that I was only riding at the beginning because I ride at a different pace, and I stated it again very nicely but clearly at the meeting spot. Everyone was super cool about it and one of the women there was the ride leader from the other ride I did and remembered me. Not hard to to when among all those super skinny people. 

I did 20 miles (the first five with the group, as they were warming up and going slower) then they all peeled off and did their insane miles. I think Teri, the woman I had met before, did 70 miles or something in 90 degree heat. Damn. I felt pretty good for my ride and didn't fade at the end, but when I stopped for breakfast afterward I had to eat really slowly to keep from getting sick. I guess I was hotter than I thought. Huge improvement over my last crap ride.

Sunday I did a huge amount of domestic rangering. I keep wanting to not spend my whole sunday catching up from the week but I can't seem to get it under control. I'll keep working on it. I did a very minimal meal prep - grilled chicken, grilled skirt steak, turkey burgers, roasted sweet potatoes. I should have done some eggs. 

I went to the gym and did pull-ups, which I am making progress on, and then the crossfit workout DT, which is five rounds of deadlifts, hang cleans, and overhead press. I did it at 70 lbs, which was ten pounds up from last time, and in 13:10 which was over a minute faster. I was REALLY happy about that. I can't believe there was a point that I was doing that workout at RX in nine minutes, but then again I was only training crossfit at that point, six days a week. I finished and had to stand very still under a fan for about two minutes while my body decided if it wanted to puke or not. It didn't.

I got a crazy shoulder pump from it though.

so the week 1 wrap up is fairly good.

- my blood pressure pinged high this week, which did not make me happy. Not like crazy high but enough that I have to really watch it. 

- I felt like a did the right amount of prep for the week, and didn't make a huge mess that canceled out all the benefit of the prep.

- I made a fairly complex recipe (the scallops) and it was really good, and even though it made a mess I was okay with the clean up.

- I applied for two jobs this week - one is similar to the adventure race job (doing management for a woman who runs a climbing school) and the other was a freelance writing job. Talking my way into the adventure race job has given me a bit of fuel to try some other new things. I applied for a commercial job too but it went to someone else.

- Food has been okay, and my weight has re-stabilized and is trending down again (it popped up a bit on the week between challenges because I was just eating whatever)

- ummmmm I think that is it. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow that I'm a bit nervous about; its a follow-up to the mammogram I had.  other than that its just on to week two.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, jstanlick said:

Hmm, I probably shouldn't have looked at that before getting to my eating window for the day. Looks darn tasty!

It came out really well. It was super spicy - I love spicy food but it was right on the edge even for me. Next time I would cut back the hot sauce and go heavier with the fresh herbs - I was using fresh instead of dried and I didn’t  bump it up enough. But it was really very good. I ate all the scallops and half the sauce the recipe made - i’ll Use the rest on eggs or maybe chicken at some point. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

the only way I'm doing 17 mph for 18 miles is on an electric bike while snorting an entire suitcase of cocaine.

If that isn't allowed I think you joined the wrong biking bitches. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, deftona said:

If that isn't allowed I think you joined the wrong biking bitches. 

I’m certain that was what Lance Armstrong was supplementing with

8 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Coke was good enough for the pros in the 60’s, it’s good enough for you. Maybe not in the heat though.

When it’s hot out I switch to crystal meth dissolved in a four

loko someone brought me from Burning Man. 

• Like 3

Also wanted to put an additional note on the week 1 wrap up, I ate way too much drive thru food this week and I sort of kept track of when that was occurring. Every time it was when I was out of the house for longer than expected or I was doing an activity that went longer than expected and bled into the next thing. Either way it’s clearly a reflex action when I don’t have time to eat a planned meal or even just go somewhere decent to get a meal. So this week Operation Packed Sandwich is going to be in full force. I am not allowed to leave the house without my cute lunchbox with something nutritious inside. Period. My goal is to go the whole week without eating anything handed to me through a window in a bag. 

Worth it: embracing my inner Beyoncé and not eating trash food. 

BFC57B0D-EB82-4FAE-A426-9E5F1FC912D0.gif

• Like 4

This is embarrassing and I'm not sure how to say this but I think you're my soulmate.

3 minutes ago, deftona said:
3 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

This is embarrassing and I'm not sure how to say this but I think you're my soulmate.

Oh, I knew that already. Don’t be embarrassed. 

• Thanks 1

Monday through Wednesday creeping up on me like this terrible terrible hair commercial

My dude, there is literally NO WAY anyone noticed that you went from a chrome dome to a full head of hair. You were so sneaky to move your hairline forward an inch at a time!

Anyway...

Monday: 

Nutrition: Good. I have all that prepped protein so I mix and matched it all day. I need to make some hard boiled eggs though; I just keep eating chicken and stuff for breakfast.

Breakfast was grilled jerk chicken and soba noodles. 

Lunch was a chicken salad sandwich, and chips. Not happy about the chips. 

Dinner was BBQ pork and sweet potatoes.

Schedule: Kitchen and bathrooms. Got that done, but not enough work stuff. Worked from the coffee shop and did a lot, but couldn't get everything off the list.

Workout: Rest day. I almost went to the gym and ran, and now I wish I had because I missed Tuesday, but I was really tired and sore from the weekend and I thought Tuesday would go as planned, and it didn't.

I meant to check my blood pressure Monday but ran out of time. I'll do it tomorrow.

Tuesday: 

Nutrition:

Breakfast was scrambled eggs, sauteed spinach, and soba noodles. I was still hungry after because I only did one egg and one egg white. I used the leftover sauce from the scallop dish on friday on the eggs, it was great.

Lunch was pizza, I'll explain below. It was only two slices, I didn't go nuts and eat a whole pizza or something. I should have.

Dinner was steak and french fries because we ate out. I only ate half the fries, mostly because the place we went always burns the damn fries, no matter how many times I ask them not to. The fry cook must drop the basket and then go out and watch a whole episode of Stranger Things or something. Disrespecting the potatoes is NOT ACCEPTABLE

Schedule: Kitchen and Cats. I did the kitchen but not the cats. I had a doctor's appointment that didn't go great and I was kinda off my game for the rest of the afternoon. 

So as not to be weirdly mysterious, I had a mammogram about a month ago and I got a call from the medical center last week asking me to come back for some "routine follow-up" because they were having trouble reading my scans. I made the appointment and went yesterday (Tuesday) and it got obvious real quick that it wasn't a routine thing. I had to have more scans and an ultrasound, and the short version is that I have "suspicious masses" in my left boobsicle and I have to go back next week for more tests. I'm not gonna lie; I'm really freaked out, even though the doctor said it's quite possible that it's just scar tissue or a - I think fibrous cyst was the word she used; I wasn't taking much in by then. I'll know more next week. Anyway I wanted to go somewhere quiet afterward and eat (my packed sandwich had lost all appeal) so I had pizza. 

I'm going to be really mad if I spent all this time worrying about my weight and my blood pressure and then it turns out that my tits are trying to kill me. All that uneaten ice cream! I'm so angry.

Wednesday: 

Nutrition: 

breakfast was leftover rotisserie chicken and leftover rice with a little pepper jelly and a tiny sprinkle of soy sauce. I had two huge coffees - I had to get up early to drive to Canton to meet with the adventure race people at 9 am , and I had taken something to help me sleep the night before so I needed to shake that off.

Lunch was mexican food; I had the smallest burrito they had plus chips. I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich later as a snack. Not great, but not drive through.

Dinner - I don't know what dinner will be. either the grilled skirt steak or maybe I'll just skip it; I still have to go to the gym and I'm not all that hungry. Probably will be later though.

Schedule: Kitchen and fridge, because trash comes tomorrow. I had my meeting this morning, that went okay, but I should have come straight home and gotten back to work; the mexican lunch put me behind schedule. I got some stuff done - I made a new web page for some work I want to do in a different department of film production, which I had a brainstorm of on Saturday, and I stopped by a thrift store to see if I could get a book by Andrew Weil that I was listening to a podcast about. I couldn't find the book but I bought another book for me and a mystery novel for my boyfriend by an author he likes. I just got the Weil book on my kindle.

I still have to do the cat areas from yesterday (yesterday was kinda trash) so I'll do my two scheduled home items plus that now, then I'll go to the gym.

This week feels a little crazy-spinny but I'm going to keep it under control. I've been packing my sandwiches and I have yet to cave to the drive-through demons. Small victories.

I don't remember this commercial but I LIVED for Dippety-do in the 80's. It was how you had a parentally-acceptable haircut by day and a mohawk by - well, not night, I was 16, but at the mall. I can still remember that oh-so-sexy medicinal scent that it had, and the weird unnatural colors it came in. I think the pink was the strongest.

• Like 3

Spoiler

I understand the freak out completely. But I work with a lot of ladies who have these kinds of masses and they're really common and very often nothing at all to worry about. I hope all goes well with the further tests. 

10 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

I don't remember this commercial but I LIVED for Dippety-do in the 80's. It was how you had a parentally-acceptable haircut by day and a mohawk by - well, not night, I was 16, but at the mall. I can still remember that oh-so-sexy medicinal scent that it had, and the weird unnatural colors it came in. I think the pink was the strongest.

It would make me very happy if there were pictures of this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, deftona said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I understand the freak out completely. But I work with a lot of ladies who have these kinds of masses and they're really common and very often nothing at all to worry about. I hope all goes well with the further tests. 

It would make me very happy if there were pictures of this. 

I'll have to look around; most of the pictures I have are from my big hair phase or my goth phase in early college 

• Like 1

Rest of Wednesday went as planned, didn't get enough done but enough. 

Got the cat boxes and the fridge, and all the trash out for trash pickup today (thursday)

Went to gym:

5 mins rower (warm up)

pull-ups: 3 sets of 2 at 85 (this is how much the machine assists you; the less the better). This is really good progress! 

OH press (cleaned from the floor) 3 sets of 2 reps, 95 pounds. I was really stoked about this because 95 has always been my sticking point for the clean portion; this time it actually seemed easy (easier, anyway) so I must be getting some strength gains.

Lat pull-downs 3 sets of 8 at 90. 

I did some bicep curls and light military presses before the pull-ups, but they weren't anything to write home about; I just do it to sort of wake up those muscles.

I packed another sandwich in case I was hungry on the way home (I am giving zero ground in this drive-thru food battle) but I wasn't, so I just went home and made the skirt steak for dinner like I planned. 4 oz steak, two 4-inch corn tortillas, some banana peppers and a bit of fig jam and some really good asagio-type cheese, like less than an ounce. oh and half an avocado.

I never got the kitchen cleaned so I'll do that today. It's a daily task anyway.

I ate the packed sandwich for breakfast this morning; it was a turkey burger broken up and stuffed in a pita pocket with some banana peppers and a little ceasar dressing. It was okay. I had the rest of the avocado.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Goth phase? Yes, I’ll take pictures of that please.

lol. I'll see what I can do

• Like 1

1) OMG THAT SHOULDER PUMPPP DAYUMMMM

2) Scallops <3 Wow. I need to add them to my menu for next week

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raxie said:

1) OMG THAT SHOULDER PUMPPP DAYUMMMM

2) Scallops <3 Wow. I need to add them to my menu for next week

They were really good. The scallops were a bit pricey but everything else in the recipe was cheap so it balanced out. 

I don’t know if I’ll get to a fancy recipe this week, it’s been kind of busy. I have no idea what’s for dinner tonight. Pasta maybe. 

4 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

4 oz steak, two 4-inch corn tortillas, some banana peppers and a bit of fig jam and some really good asagio-type cheese, like less than an ounce. oh and half an avocado.

That sounds really good.   I love fig newtons but I never bother with the jam.

4 hours ago, Teros said:

That sounds really good.   I love fig newtons but I never bother with the jam.

Fig jam might be a southern thing; a lot of people here have fig trees and make their own.  The jar I just bought is actually made by the owner of the coffee shop I hang out in. 

The farmers market here sells a goat cheese with fig jam piped into the middle and it’s outrageously good. I’ll have to check the brand for you. Fabulous with eggs. 

5pm Friday. All I gotta do is one more day without drive-through food and I can call the week a success. 

I feel like I deserve a present but I don’t know what

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I love everything about your challenge-- and especially about your Murph!! I've done the Murph once and... wow. What a workout. I had to do it modified and I was still sore for days. I'm wholeheartedly cheering you on!

• Like 1