• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ElizeElvinFoxRyder

ElizeElvinFoxRyder - Elize, Elvin Broom Ryder

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Glad you are relaxed now! It is always stressful when household stuff breaks. At least you caught it in time, and Brandt sounds like he is good at fixing things

Rocco is much better, but I seem to have taken over his sore throat. I think it is mostly post nasal drip, but it is worse than it was.

The washing machine also turned out not to be the culprit. It was the outlet pipe! The machine's outlet is connected to the basin's outlet, and one of the pipes just after a bend up to the basin had come loose. Water rushed out of there like a spraying fountain when I tried to figure out where the leak was. So flooded floor again on Monday, but only a little bit as I was quick to stop the machine. A small gravel stone came out of the pipe, which might have caused the problem?! I have no idea how that got in there!

Anyway... machine outlet is temporarily hooked over the bath, and kept in place with cable ties until Brandt can seal the pipes together over the weekend. Sealer and I don't work well together. But the machines will need to be serviced this year.

Necessity breeds opportunity (or something like that): Brandt and I had to learn to fix things ourselves if we could, because paying plumbers, and handymen to do little things costs you a fortune in the end. We only have one shop here that fixes Speed Queen machines and they wanted to charge us all kinds of extras servicing our washing machine last time. So Brandt refused to get their help (still refuses), saying they were ripping off people to make more money. So he looked up how to service the machines, also got info from Speed Queen directly (at that time - but that service shop was 1.5hrs drive from here, and has closed down now) and he did the work himself, last time. Think this time will be much the same, except the only shop I could find selling the necessary parts were in Pretoria, about 6hrs from us. So when we buy, they'll courier the parts and we'll take it from there. I've bought repair parts for our oven from them previously, and they were very helpful.

----------00----------

I haven't done much of anything exercise wise so far this week. On top of a sore throat again (whether sinus or other reason) I have a stiff, sore neck. I've even lain on the bed without my pillow to try and get the muscle to relax, because Brandt massaging it didn't do much. And it is difficult getting to the muscle that goes from the back of my neck to the front behind my collarbone. Going pillow-less did help a bit. Otherwise I just really didn't even think about exercise until late afternoon on Monday or Tuesday, so I just left it. And the same goes for today. Not going to Lego, not going to walk, not going to do burpees. EDIT: maybe do something.

Not much cleaning done either. Kitchen, and dailies, yes; vacuumed the floors on Monday, and the boys cleaned the tables. Laundry done by Monday late night too.

Edited by ElizeElvinFoxRyder
  • Like 1

Not much more, but...

Week 4 - until Friday

• Bible/Quiet time: Yes most days.
  • Water/Tea: Most days only 1 bottle.
  • Sleep < 21h30: Nearly on time, then not, but getting in enough sleep.
  • Food: One day on, one day off, one day on...
  • Finances: Dailies sorted, monthlies planned for Saturday and Sunday.
  • Chores: Wednesday some cleaning done, Thursday some cleaning done. Friday floors vacuumed, some floors washed. Dusted and polished furniture, and dailies done every day.
  • Strength training: No.
  • Walk: Only Thursday.
  • Burpees: Nothing this week; neither did the boys. [Total for the challenge: 80]

Really not much else except personal news:

Received another message from Granny L saying her grandson doesn't want to wait until Saturday evening for the braai before spending some time with Adam and Rocco, but has decided that he wants to come for the whole day Saturday. Would this be ok, and what time can she bring him? I answered no sorry, this will not be ok as I'm doing a lot of finances updates this weekend (what I've pre-arranged with Brandt, as he'll be out most of Sunday again). I'll start with side dishes for the braai around 4pm, so Dylan can come play after 16h00. A couple hours later she asked whether A&R could then maybe come to their house, because Dylan doesn't just want to play 2 hours longer? I discussed with Brandt and the boys, and they said ok. So I've arranged that they play there for most of Saturday, but neither of the boys are really eager.

The sweat was rolling off me again after vacuuming and washing the floors. I get almost a full body workout with the amount that I squat to vacuum under furniture, pull furniture away, etc. Almost, but not quite as much strength needed as in a workout. Another plus is that I'm using less than half of the cleaning stuff that was used previously, and I've now seen what things can be done every other week, rather than weekly.

We heard more news of the cleaning lady who used to work here and next door. It wasn't good.

Spoiler

She was in hospital for the last two weeks, and her kids wanted to take her home (don't know why, they didn't want to say) last Friday. The adult son phoned and wanted me to fetch her from the hospital right away, sign for her release, and take her to a family member's home in a community close to us. For some or other reason he didn't want to arrange this himself (they get discount on ambulance service to do this); he wanted us or the neighbours (whom his mom also worked for) to do this - take responsibility. It was the day I had Dylan and his grandmother visit here, so I told him I can't do it immediately, it would have to wait till early evening. There was also no way that I was willing to go to that area without Brandt, but the son was insisting on fetching his mom from the hospital immediately. I told him to phone the neighbour (the policeman) and ask for his help. While the neighbour spoke to the daughter (sister of the guy who phoned me) on the phone, he clearly heard the sister explain their mother's very bad health condition in the background, and her saying that if anyone of us fetched the mother, we would have to sign papers taking full responsibility for her health. He noped out immediately (as the mother has a history of not listening to health advice from anyone) and phoned me to tell me what was going on. No one wants to tell us why she was in hospital in the first place, either.

Our town/city has been surprisingly quiet on safety side, with only the occasional thing being set on fire here and there, but nothing serious. Other places in the country are not as fortunate. Pretoria (Tswane) has especially been suffering this past week with bad riots going on in city centre; buildings on fire, shops looted, taxi drivers shooting and threatening each other and the police. Fire fighters had to be protected by police to be able to try and save some buildings that were on fire! But as I said, this side was quiet enough that we didn't have any trouble.

My mom also phoned again. She spoke to Brandt who answered the phone, and didn't ask to speak to me. I was so relieved I gave a small bark of laughter!

Now to run some errands in town, then finish the laundry, and I'll be done for the day.

• Like 4

Woot for all the cleaning!

I'm not sure  I understand why your sons are going over to play with the other little boy if they are not eager. Can't they just say thank you for the invite but no thank you?

Glad you are safe, but praying for safety for the rest of your country

'

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Woot for all the cleaning!

I'm not sure  I understand why your sons are going over to play with the other little boy if they are not eager. Can't they just say thank you for the invite but no thank you?

It also worried me, so I kept asking if they wanted to go. I thought at first it was because they were maybe not really interested in playing there, but they said no they liked him. But because I wouldn't allow them to take their tablets with, and he only has one computer, they were unsure what they were going to do. It seems all three boys had this idea of each sitting at a screen, playing games, then telling the others about it. Also they were a bit unsure to be at someone's house they haven't been to before. Me too, for that matter. I stayed there for a bit to make sure about things, they settled down, and went to look at D's pet python, and then everything was fine. And yes, I had to stroke the pet python too... I really prefer lizards, and maybe turtles, when it comes to reptiles.

I met the mom and immediately liked her. I got some messages during the day to say they were playing with little green plastic toy soldiers, enacting some battle my boys had learned about that morning on YouTube, and later they played Uno, and other games. I fetched them at 4pm, to give everyone a break. The weather had been very cold and rain was forecasted, so we were not sure whether we were going to braai after all. But we decided to have at it, just have a nice big warm fire to sit around, if necessary. They came over at 6pm and we all actually got along well. Brandt and I really like the mom. She is soft spoken, but doesn't allow her mom (granny) to rule her. She has a strong spine. It was an early enough night, as they went home around 9pm. The mom is a pilot teaching others to fly, and she had appointments early Sunday morning. Brandt is marshaling again Sunday, so he also had to get up early. None of my initial thoughts of fear about them being too different of opinion, etc. came true (yet).

16 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Glad you are safe, but praying for safety for the rest of your country

Thank you, it's very much needed. This report about corruption in our country, by Corruption Watch, came out this week, naming the police service as the most corrupt civil organisation reported on. Then schools/education, then government, then health services! Whenever I think our country has hit a new low, people prove me wrong and it sinks even lower.

----------00----------

Guys I'm just going to roll the challenge to a slow stop, as I'm all over the place about exercise yet again! The boys are starting swimming this week, and hopefully Rocco and I will do some dancing on a Friday afternoon. He is still really keen on it. Also between the burpees, some strength training, cleaning, and now dancing, I feel like I'm overdoing the exercises again. I was all eager and on fire to go, but have no motivation other than do just the absolute necessary. I'm not working towards/for something, so I am really struggling to motivate myself. What I would like to do (I think) is go on with some burpees, and my pushups! I really want to reach 100 full pushups at some point, even if it takes me multiple challenges to do.

But then I think to myself, but I really need to do some leg exercises too, to keep things balanced, and my legs need work more than any other part of my body, which walking alone won't solve. So some body image problems still going on there. But burpees do include a squat, kick out, jump in and up, so... ? Maybe multiple burpees would work?

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Seems to me that burpees are pretty much an all body exercise, so that should coverloegs

A proper burpee (nowadays) includes a squat, jump to plank position, push up, frog jump in, squat jump up (with arms in the air). That covers core muscles, shoulders, deltoids, arms (triceps, biceps, probably forearms too), chest (pecs), calves, thighs (quads, hams), glutes, and the balls of the feet. If done properly it is a full body exercise.

I was thinking that I should go forward doing 3x5 burpees Monday to Friday. Long walk on Wednesdays and little walk on Thursdays, with dancing practice on Fridays.

Wednesday's walk is the only really other intense exercise I get in, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I saw this 30 day burpee challenge. NOT FOR NOW, but maybe something to try later on when I'm more fit. You should be able to do a burpee relatively easily when you start. Then you start this challenge where you do a different version of a burpee every day, week1 day1 to day6. Then the next week you do a particular version of a burpee on a specific day, but a couple reps more (think it's 10 more). Then week 3 you do that same particular version of a burpee on that specific day, but ... you guessed it, a couple reps more.

The boys went to swimming today, and they really like the teacher. Other parents were late so the kids were in a bigger group than they normally would be. They were really tired after the lesson. She quickly took them through some movements (free style, breast stroke, diving, etc.) to establish what they are able to do, what they've basically learnt and forgotten, and what was new. They've learnt all that was necessary, but have forgotten almost all the proper techniques/styles/ways. But they'll pick up quick enough.

I printed the steps out for Watermelon Crawl, and Achy Breaky Heart line dances, but I think we should maybe just begin with the different beginner steps. Accidentally, Rocco and I have copied some of these from other videos we've seen and know them, or do the steps when we just dance by ourselves to music :D.

Week 5 -  until Monday

• Bible/Quiet time: Monday Yes.
  • Water/Tea: Most days only 1 bottle.
  • Sleep < 21h30: Before 21h00.
  • Food: No gluten! Except Saturday I had some garlic bread with butter...
  • Finances: Dailies sorted, some monthlies.
  • Chores: Done.
  • Strength training: No.
  • Walk: Not yet.
  • Burpees: No.
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I love line dancing! What a fun way to get exercise in.

It sure does look like fun. This form of dancing is slowly but surely starting to pick up here in SA.

Doesn't the guy from the Watermelon Dance (link above) look a lot like @SheriffWolfpool

added info
  • Like 1

Sorry my other post sort of bombed out. I couldn't add any lines after typing Wolfie's name. Couldn't even see the cursor.

Anyway... 3x5 burpees (with push ups) ~ 20min. My right shoulder is so sore, I struggled to go down for the pushups, but I'm also feeling weak. With the excuses out of the way... I did it and am still alive. So definitely 3x5 burpees every weekday going forward.

I keep hurting my shoulder muscle at night when I don't really turn around to lift up the blanket behind me to let the dog in the bed. So I rotate my shoulder/muscle too much, or that is what Brandt and I think.

Now for the rest of the day.

Hope you have a good one!

• Like 3

On 9/1/2019 at 4:29 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Guys I'm just going to roll the challenge to a slow stop, as I'm all over the place about exercise yet again! The boys are starting swimming this week, and hopefully Rocco and I will do some dancing on a Friday afternoon. He is still really keen on it. Also between the burpees, some strength training, cleaning, and now dancing, I feel like I'm overdoing the exercises again. I was all eager and on fire to go, but have no motivation other than do just the absolute necessary. I'm not working towards/for something, so I am really struggling to motivate myself. What I would like to do (I think) is go on with some burpees, and my pushups! I really want to reach 100 full pushups at some point, even if it takes me multiple challenges to do.

I know What this feeling is like!  it seems "exercise" needs constant vigilance and re calibration!!

but do expand upon you thinking (if you don't mind).  Do you you feel like you are over-training and Not giving your body enough rest?

also- for me- its simply BAD not to be training for something and it undermines my motivation.

but don't discount giving your body more rest.   sometimes that rather nicely restores Ones motivation.  your body simply needs more rest and sends silent unpleasant vibes that your head interprets as "not motivated".

AND then

above and beyond all that; RANGER brain comes to mind.  Just trying to do TOO much!  sometimes you got to Choose between several inviting things, especially when each of them is difficult or tricky.

about the pushup challenge-I'm sure you CAn do that!  but it definitely seems hardcore.  consider an incremental result.  how many can you do Now before you get fatigue?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TGP said:

but do expand upon you thinking (if you don't mind).  Do you you feel like you are over-training and Not giving your body enough rest?

also- for me- its simply BAD not to be training for something and it undermines my motivation.

Nah, I'm not over training. When I'm motivated and really want to, I can do much, much more, as I did until last year. I'm just really not motivated, and just really don't wanna.

Ok... Brandt is pushing me again to train harder, do more. Train (once again) like he wants me to train, and I'm all stubborn and I don't want to. I don't want to train for something; I don't want to train to improve my body's 'look'. I just want to continue to do some things which I like doing. And Brandt backs off when I tell him I don't wanna, but he really wants me to enjoy training as much as he does, and he knows I like some strength training and can do more, and he just can't understand why I don't want to "because you did previously". His motto is: If you can do it, you should do it to the best of what you can. Not half-ass it on a lower level. And we've been having this discussion on and off since December/January.

He's not ugly or bad or hard about it, he shrugs and goes on, comments every now and again, then I start wondering and get all down on myself and then I try to exercise more and do better, and then I just become obstinate and "don't wanna!" and have trouble to motivate myself and the cycle repeats, ad infinitum.

1 hour ago, TGP said:

but don't discount giving your body more rest.   sometimes that rather nicely restores Ones motivation.  your body simply needs more rest and sends silent unpleasant vibes that your head interprets as "not motivated".

I do have more energy when I get back into my sleep routine, and that is probably part of why I'm not motivated.

1 hour ago, TGP said:

about the pushup challenge-I'm sure you CAn do that!  but it definitely seems hardcore.  consider an incremental result.  how many can you do Now before you get fatigue?

Remember that I mentioned earlier on that it is 100 pushups over the course of a challenge or two, or three (all added up together). Not 100 pushups in one session. I've actually forgotten to continue counting how many push ups I've done all together for the challenge. And then if I do a full push up as part of the burpee, it should probably count for the push ups too?

------------------------------------------00------------------------------------------

Don't worry, I'll get over it, and feel better tomorrow morning. I actually like the burpees, especially if I can count the pushups to my goal.

W.r.t. emigrating, we've reached the point where Brandt is now willing to contact an agency and see what difference they can make.

Also, I know perfectly well who Rocco inherited his stubbornness gene from now.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

And then if I do a full push up as part of the burpee, it should probably count for the push ups too?

I  vote yes on that (though of course, your vote is the only one that counts)

I see the struggle, where your goals and preferences are different than Brandt's ideas. It's not surprising that it's easier to stick to something when it's something your really want to do. Maybe just keep doing the things you like and try one or two new ideas each time to see if they work for you. The line dancing sounds like a fun new thing for now!

• Like 4

I think art of the issue is that the possibly moving to  a new country and preparing for that just takes so much energy, you don't have a lot of extra. And you need the energy you do have  to school, and your other responsibilities. Which is my long winded way of saying, I think Xena is right, just do what interests you.

On your shoulder, it may be a stability strength issue. You've probably heard me talk about Turkish Get ups. I do them with a kettlebell. But you can do them unweighted or with a dumbbell. I love them because they hele me so I could lift weights overhead without pain.  Another idea is to do pull up bar hangs, where you just hang from the bar. And a good stretch is , pick a certain doorway, and every time you go through it, lift your arms overhead and touch the top of the door frame. We hardly ever lift our arms overhead, so our range of mobility gets super limited. Reaching over head will  help your mobility.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Xena said:

I  vote yes on that (though of course, your vote is the only one that counts)

Ok, I'll count them. I appreciate the opinions of you guys here, to tell me whether I'm barking up the wrong tree, or not.

Total full push ups till last week was 21, and between yesterday and today I managed 6 each day, which I would count towards full pushups. I don't always manage to go low enough during the burpee because of hand placement. Seems that the first 2 burpees' pushups of every set (3sets 5reps each), are the best, and I go down the deepest. So 21 + 6 + 6 = 33 total pushups this challenge so far.

4 hours ago, Xena said:

I see the struggle, where your goals and preferences are different than Brandt's ideas. It's not surprising that it's easier to stick to something when it's something your really want to do. Maybe just keep doing the things you like and try one or two new ideas each time to see if they work for you. The line dancing sounds like a fun new thing for now!

The burpees are something he suggested that I incorporate, although he wanted me to go for the 50 a day challenge, which I noped out on. He does pushups, situps, and squats/lunges every morning, then does a range of burpees at night (after working on the car, which incorporates a lot of heavy lifting at times). Changing my sets early in the challenge (or last challenge, can't remember) from 2 sets of 10reps each, to 3 sets of 8 reps each, was my way of incorporating his suggestions, but I just can't (or don't want to) do that and do burpees, even if I stagger the days.

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

I think art of the issue is that the possibly moving to  a new country and preparing for that just takes so much energy, you don't have a lot of extra. And you need the energy you do have  to school, and your other responsibilities. Which is my long winded way of saying, I think Xena is right, just do what interests you.

I don't tend to count emotional energy under physical energy, but you're right, they definitely have an effect on each other, and I should have thought of that.

Doing only the burpees this week, has me already being less grumpy (according to the boys) and more eager to continue with school work after exercising, than the last couple of weeks. It was really difficult to get going with anything after I've done a workout. Then I'd rather just leave everything.

I've also been having the most mixed up dreams about this (probable/hopeful) moving, so I guess it definitely does have an effect.

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

On your shoulder, it may be a stability strength issue. You've probably heard me talk about Turkish Get ups. I do them with a kettlebell. But you can do them unweighted or with a dumbbell. I love them because they hele me so I could lift weights overhead without pain.  Another idea is to do pull up bar hangs, where you just hang from the bar. And a good stretch is , pick a certain doorway, and every time you go through it, lift your arms overhead and touch the top of the door frame. We hardly ever lift our arms overhead, so our range of mobility gets super limited. Reaching over head will  help your mobility.

Yip, have read of your Turkish Get Ups :). I previously did the reverse pull ups from the top of our security gate, but had to stop when we saw just how rusted the bar actually was in places, at the top. I changed them up for lying under a lower bar and pulling myself up, but it isn't quite the same, which would explain why the shoulder has been getting more sore of late. I'll definitely have a look at these higher stretch ideas, thank you.

------------------------------------------00------------------------------------------

Rocco is struggling with drinking enough water (hah! family thing much?) and had a bad pain in the region of his one kidney last night. Got him to sip more water during the next hour, which seemed to help a bit, then tried to give him half a Panado for the lingering pain and to sleep. But he couldn't swallow (the taste), and promptly vomited all over his bed. So ... Mommy Clean Up Crew to the rescue. Gave him some Pegasus Fluid Imbalance pillules which also seemed to do the trick. He's drinking a lot more fluids today already.

ON EMIGRATING:

We got the "Potential Eligibility" results back from the immigration agency I contacted yesterday. We've done them before, but Brandt was still unsure about the two agencies we contacted at that point. He told me to choose one of the three; we discussed why I preferred the one I contacted yesterday. This agency actually contacts potential employers (those who say in job applications that they would love to have you, except you aren't in the country) and give them information about the immigration process, and also offering (for a fee of course) to help with the documentation and everything necessary on the employer's side, so that the process is smooth sailing, and no hiccups, and you - the potential employee - can start asap. Also, the owner of this particular immigration agency used to work for NZ Immigration Dept. herself, so she knows all the ins and outs. And the company has a great reputation! The other two agencies also have a great reputation, but they aren't willing to help on the employer's side of things. And I think our situation calls for that help, as Brandt again got a letter to say, thank you for your application, your experience and knowledge would be great for the position, but unfortunately you aren't in the country or eligible to work here, already.

So Brandt asked me to move forward with this immigration agency. There is again a lot of reading (of which I managed to cover some yesterday), and filling in of forms (on today's To Do list), and then more hurry up and wait. Our Police Clearances should be on their way back to us, but I'm only expecting to receive them by end of next week. By end of this week I want to fetch the test results for our pets from the vet, so that I have that in our trusty "Emigration File".

DEAR DIARY:

One difficult thing I can attest to, is trying to continue as if nothing is wrong, nothing is going to change, while working in the background to change exactly that. Go on as normal, while it feels like everything is up in the air. In that regard @Elastigirl is spot on, it is taking a lot of energy from me. One example (other than the actual move planning) is the boys' school curricula: knowing to some extend what is available in NZ, and knowing what is available here, now is the time that I would start planning and buying for next year, depending on what I have available (schools start, here and there, in January, until middle of December). Languages are done - I have the next level books/work for that, but math isn't. Also not science subjects. For both math and science subjects we'll only finish the current curricula sometime first term of next year, but I don't really have anything structured available to continue on from there.

Do I get what I need now (as this is the great discount period of buying curricula), or do I wait till I know that we are definitely moving to NZ and then get possible curricula there? Something which their education dept would prefer or know better, thus greater chance of approval of our HS application? I guess I can just buy the next level of math and then continue with that in NZ, as they do acknowledge Math-U-See, but most parents there prefer to use something else, which works out cheaper. If I'd rather just get the next level of MUS, then I should do it here, and just take it with. Importing MUS from USA to NZ is very expensive, as they don't have as big a user base there as they do here in South Africa. I do have stand alone science (biology, earth, etc.) that I can continue with after the current work, but it will only keep us busy for a small part of the year. I can, however incorporate a lot of going out and getting to know the place, which is always much better. But if we don't move by then, I will have to buy something here at a much higher price. Huh, decisions, decisions...

• Like 3

Hope the immigration agency can help!

I have no advice on the curriculum but see how that is a dilemma. Just sending a virtual hug.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Nah, I'm not over training. When I'm motivated and really want to, I can do much, much more, as I did until last year. I'm just really not motivated, and just really don't wanna.

Ok... Brandt is pushing me again to train harder, do more. Train (once again) like he wants me to train, and I'm all stubborn and I don't want to. I don't want to train for something; I don't want to train to improve my body's 'look'. I just want to continue to do some things which I like doing. And Brandt backs off when I tell him I don't wanna, but he really wants me to enjoy training as much as he does, and he knows I like some strength training and can do more, and he just can't understand why I don't want to "because you did previously". His motto is: If you can do it, you should do it to the best of what you can. Not half-ass it on a lower level. And we've been having this discussion on and off since December/January.

He's not ugly or bad or hard about it, he shrugs and goes on, comments every now and again, then I start wondering and get all down on myself and then I try to exercise more and do better, and then I just become obstinate and "don't wanna!" and have trouble to motivate myself and the cycle repeats, ad infinitum.

I do have more energy when I get back into my sleep routine, and that is probably part of why I'm not motivated.

Interesting.

I'd just advise you guys to think of each other as training partners (part-time).  its good to have partners to work out with sometime.  but partners cannot push.  and sometimes the right decision is to simply fully support your partners decision to do something else entirely. (and vice versa)

Anyways the Enjoyment factor on exercise is VERY important and if you find yourself not enjoying your program you must change things.  Some people take great motivation from Epic hardcore demand.

I'm probably a little guilty of that.

I freely admit (for example), that a 100 mile walk in 2 days without sleep is NOT ENJOYABLE (except in the very beginning).  there is lots of hardcore unpleasant forced marching espacially once sleep deprivation REALLY sets in.

Without huge motivation; no Way would a person do that.  Without passion.

I was inspired by the feeling that it is nearly impossible.  Dare to Try kind of thinking.  this kind of effort can't be just "given" to someone- or "encouraged" or "manipulated". if you don't have the passion, full stop you should make changes. 

I'm struck by the statement of activities that you like doing. I would still try to center your program over those activities.  if there are limits on what you can do , make sure you are doing activities you like the most.

this is personally relevant for me. I think If I could entirely what to do free from limitations- I would get into backpacking.

but there is not that kind of time in my life for all weekend backpacking trips.  my passion is to explore- so I'm trying to become a runner- not that I'm a very good runner- but that it will get me out into the woods quicker and help me explore.

----

anyways, I can vouch for the fact that if your not sleeping well; motivation for anything is less.

I hope you have a better time of that.

You're clearly have a lot to think about.  just Relax! from time to time. it is going to be ok. you're making great choices (so far as I can tell)!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xena said:

Hope the immigration agency can help!

I have no advice on the curriculum but see how that is a dilemma. Just sending a virtual hug.

Thanks, me too.

Talking about the curricula here helped me remember that I specifically wanted to keep my Life of Fred books because New Zealand Education Dept. loves them (for home schoolers). So I'll use the ones I have after we finish the current level of MUS we are using. That will keep us going for most of next year (whether we are here or there). Then I have part of the books I need for the year after, but after that I'll need to buy again. That gives me about 1.5yrs to relax about math! I'll figure the rest out (science) at little later.

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

New Zealand does have the reputation of having a great school system.

Yes, they do have a great, supportive school system, which tends to be less traditional and more relaxed. It is just unfortunately under a lot of pressure with the huge influx of immigrants. They are asking a lot of South African (and other countries') teachers to apply for teaching positions there. From preschool right through to university level.

12 minutes ago, TGP said:

if you don't have the passion, full stop you should make changes.

I don't have passion for training at the moment, that's definite. I just want to do something to keep me going.

12 minutes ago, TGP said:

I'm struck by the statement of activities that you like doing. I would still try to center your program over those activities.  if there are limits on what you can do , make sure you are doing activities you like the most.

I think I'll stick with burpees and walking at the moment, with dancing for fun with the boys on a Friday afternoon. I definitely have a time limit nowadays.

13 minutes ago, TGP said:

anyways, I can vouch for the fact that if your not sleeping well; motivation for anything is less.

I hope you have a better time of that.

Sleeping is going better, except on those nights that out of the normal things happen. We've all been going to bed earlier, and it is definitely helping. Most important though, I found that sleeping in on a weekend, or just having a more relaxed weekend, definitely helps. Maybe it's more psychological than physical.

----------------------------00----------------------------

Walked 6.7km in one hour during Lego! And I wasn't overly tired or out of breath.

• Like 5

Week 5 -  Tuesday & Wednesday

• Bible/Quiet time: Yes, yes.
  • Water/Tea: 1.5 and 2 bottles.
  • Sleep < 21h30: Before or around 22h00 both nights.
  • Food: No gluten! Did have gluten free brownies with coconut ice cream, but only a small bowl.
  • Finances: Dailies sorted, some monthlies. Same, again.
  • Chores: Up to date.
  • Walk: Wednesday 6.7km!
  • Burpees: Yes! Both days: 3x5. Takes me about 20min. because I have to rest (2-3min) in between sets.

Did burpees this morning as well, and the first two of each set is definitely good for full push ups. I'm focusing on where my body should be related to my hands for a proper push up. I struggled this morning to do the jump-ins though. My legs were tired, probably from yesterday's long walk, and I had to walk in to a squat position once or twice per set. Doesn't help that the young dogs think that me in a pushup position is an invitation for them to play with me. :D

image.png.2548afd9bf6e232d1b4a375bb979b9fc.png

The weather moved in yesterday afternoon and it's been raining softly since around 5am. Forecasted to rain the whole day. So no riding for Adam, but I will have to do run some errands for Brandt.

I started filling in the 'specialised questionnaire form' for the agency yesterday, and one of the questions with regards to health was, "what are the respective BMI's of all the persons relocating with you?"
Brandt - 35; Elize - 32; Adam - 24; Rocco - 27. So I think next challenge I have to focus on loosing some weight. This challenge I have definitely lost on measurements, but not weight.

We also have to give them contact details of people we know who live in NZ, whom they can contact for further character references. Brandt has finally contacted the three guys (ex-colleagues) he knows, and I contacted the lady friend we know. We'll have to see how that works out. I know two of the guys have previously told Brandt that they were happy to be references on his CV, (one of them was a previous boss of mine, who went to the army, studied, and worked with Brandt as well - so he knew both of us well).

I also had to list all my qualifications (diploma and various computer certificates) and work experience, which made me realise that in these last 15 yrs, I never set up a CV for myself. I should probably do it now. I always got work via word of mouth, or starting something myself (computer classes for kids, then importing books, typing from home, proof reading). Chances are that I may need to work part time from home over there. Luckily there is a huge demand for that in NZ.

So there goes my stress levels again. This see-sawing with emigrating is really hard to handle. Helps if you can push it out of your mind at times...

• Like 5

I understand the stress, but I am very impressed by all the hard work you have done over the past months to prepare.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xena said:

I understand the stress, but I am very impressed by all the hard work you have done over the past months to prepare.

Yes there's been a lot of preparing till now, and when Brandt's job offer eventually comes through, there will be more to do. Luckily I have the information so it will just be a situation of actually getting stuff done then. Forewarned is forearmed.

----------00----------

DEAR DIARY...

Spoiler

Ok, honestly I'm getting a bit scared at the moment.

I can't remember whether I've mentioned it before, but there's been some horrific xenophobic attacks, riots and looting going on in our capital city, Pretoria, as well as throughout Johannesburg (Gauteng province in the central northern part of the country - about 6hrs drive from us). Some African people are basically attacking people who are African, but not from South African (Nigeria, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique...). Nigerians have reacted saying they'll send Boko Haram (their local militant group) to come avenge the attacks, and South African businesses (MTN cellphones, Checkers/Shoprite) are withdrawing totally from Nigeria as their employees have come under attack. Luckily this xenophobia hasn't spread into organised physical attacks through the rest of South Africa yet (small attacks here and there), but it looks like it is coming.

Unfortunately a local politician has decided to join the 'talk' and he has now urged the black Africans to stop attacking other blacks from other countries, and instead start attacking whites (and other minority groups) in South Africa. He frequently did this up until December 2018 when he was told in court to stop as it comes down to hate speech and inciting violence. He didn't really stop.

A lot of taxi driver associations have called for their 'brethren' to band together and attack 'certain people', focusing more on other Africans but some are including whites in their message to mass together and attack. Some of these messages are being forwarded via whatsapp and text messages and some of them are being labelled as fake news by police. But not all.

As I said, our town is still relatively calm and there hasn't been organised attacks yet. But it is really starting to look bad. I feel a bit overwhelmed to sort the nonsense from the actual threats.

Please just pray for South Africa. :(

Week 5 -  Thursday & Friday

• Bible/Quiet time: Yes.
  • Water/Tea: 1.5 and 1 bottles.
  • Sleep < 21h30: Thursday on time, Friday around midnight.
  • Food: Thursday no gluten, Friday - fish covered in dough layer. Bought not self-made, so gluten. Rocco is actually ok. The marks on his arm and body are still gone and he hasn't had any other issues.
  • Finances: Dailies sorted, some monthlies. Same, again.
  • Chores: Didn't clean the house Thursday or Friday as it's been raining constantly - meaning dogs come in with muddy paws, but they also don't go out as much. So floors are dirty at this point, but house is dust free. Bedrooms, bathrooms and kitchen are clean.
  • Walk: No walk Thursday, as it was raining - so no riding lessons during which I would walk.
  • Burpees: Thursday yes, Friday no. My shoulder was really, really hurting. Pushup count: 39

Brandt was down on the south coast last night, so I just couldn't fall asleep early. But I slept right through the night, solidly out like a light till just after 7am this morning.

• Sad 3