• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ElizeElvinFoxRyder

ElizeElvinFoxRyder - Elize, Elvin Broom Ryder

I totally overslept this morning. For some or other reason I'd switched my alarm clock off thus it didn't go off this morning. Brandt woke me up as he was leaving for work an hour and half after I should have gotten up. He'd gotten all his stuff ready, as well as a lunchbox. I didn't even wake up for coffee! *gasp*

Week 2 - Tuesday

• Bible/Quiet time: Yes.
  • Water/Tea: No.
  • Sleep < 21h30: Tried, but I kept having to get up. Then was up later anyway discussing my mom's phone call with Brandt, among other things.
  • Food: No gluten.
  • Finances: Nothing.
  • Chores: All up to date.
  • Strength training: No, was too tired Tuesday morning.
  • Walk: Not yet.
  • Burpees: Nothing.

Ja, so my mom phoned again last night.

Spoiler

Brandt was shocked (for some or other reason) when I told him she'd phoned again. Yes, she did manage to upset me saying she is going to have an operation on her foot, and she is getting new glasses (we don't have a problem with her receiving any medical treatment that is necessary), BUT (this was what upset me -->) she said, she told the doctors and medical staff that there will be no problem with us paying in any extras or deposits. We'll cover all those expenses (we are talking thousands here), and she was willing to help by giving us R100 of the monthly money that we give her. I was upset, but I didn't blow up. I told her she was in no position to make such statements, and if anything has to be arranged, it will happen between Brandt, myself and the medical staff. Not her. After the call I suddenly realised that it was probably another one of her plans to just rile me up, get a reaction out of me, and that nothing might come of it, because she sort of laughed at the end of the call? I couldn't understand her reaction at the time. I sent an email to the financial personnel at the home telling them what was said, and requesting information on the situation. I haven't heard anything back yet.

Weather wise it has turned warmer again. Lego is on this afternoon and I'm going to walk. So far this week hasn't been going very well, except for food and cleaning.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I think you are right, she was just trying to get a rise out of you. 

The home just phoned me now. The sister's words were, "Darling, she has dementia. You must not take anything she says seriously. Relax and talk to me first."

1. She is getting new glasses, but as far as they know it is going through on state patient basis, so nothing to minimal amount to pay in.
  2. Nothing is going to be done to her toe. No operations! The dr. told her to keep the area clean, otherwise basically nothing can be done as she isn't in pain.
  3. She is still using her cellphone that she complained about last year. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Not even a bad battery. They'll let me know if she really does have problems. Seems the warning that she will have to use some of her pocket money to pay in on a new phone has made her decide that she doesn't need a new cellphone after all.

So, yes, she just wanted attention. That thrill of getting me worked up that boosts her. The sister also said that I must always let them know when my mom contacts me and what is being said. MINDSET CHANGE for me: Don't take anything she says seriously! Listen, don't react. Find out the truth, if necessary. Placate (ok, sure, whatever) and move on. Because if I don't, I just keep enabling her.

Week 2 - Wednesday

• Bible/Quiet time: No. :(
  • Water/Tea: Yes! Nearly 3 bottles of diluted aloe juice/water (no added sugars of any kind). :)
  • Sleep < 21h30: Tried, but again, only in bed and really relaxing around 21h45. But must have fallen asleep soon after that as I only slightly woke up when Brandt came to bed around 23h00-23h30. :confused:
  • Food: Yes, had half a monster burger. Was famished after walking. :(
  • Finances: Nothing yet. :(
  • Chores: All up to date. :)
  • Strength training: No. :(
  • Walk: Yes! A whopping 6.7km in 1h44. It is the furthest I've walked in a long time. Even further than when I was training for that last long, hard OCR (June 2018) which I did with Brandt. :applause:
  • Burpees: Nothing. :(

Edited by ElizeElvinFoxRyder
  • Like 3

On 8/1/2019 at 12:11 PM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

ip, meant over the course of the challenge. My husband got the idea from a girl (YouTube) who was challenged by a friend to do 50 burpees a day, for 30 days in a row! If I remember correctly she started off with normal, plain burpees, but ended doing pushup-burpees. I'm hopefully going to compete with my husband, and both boys, but all three of them just give me this "are you crazy?" look when I ask.

Thanks for supporting my challenge.

Maybe next month we can do a burpee Accountability challenge?  

On 8/11/2019 at 1:52 PM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

n the bottom photo you can see how thrilled and surprised he was by actually being on the podium. :D He hadn't expected it at all.

I bet you were just as thrilled!  That is fantastic!  Good Job Rocco!!!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 6:19 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Ja, so my mom phoned again last night.

Image result for squint confusion

Agreed that is also sounds like trying to get a rise, but idk a lot of the backstory leading to this.  Saying 'oh yeah someone else will pay for this' seems irresponsible on the dr's part.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 6:32 PM, Lightning said:

Maybe next month we can do a burpee Accountability challenge? 

We should definitely look into something like that. Maybe also something with dancing. A person can maybe do any kind of dance move for a set time, or once or twice a week or something, because this line dancing is really tickling my interests. And if I can get around to doing it, then Rocco will definitely jump in and do it. But just for myself, I'm quite keen to try it here at home, in privacy :playful::redface-new:

On 8/15/2019 at 6:32 PM, Lightning said:

I bet you were just as thrilled!  That is fantastic!  Good Job Rocco!!!

Yip! On the video I took where he got two points, you can hear me close to the end congratulating him :D enthusiastically.

19 hours ago, Teros said:

Agreed that is also sounds like trying to get a rise, but idk a lot of the backstory leading to this.  Saying 'oh yeah someone else will pay for this' seems irresponsible on the dr's part.

Long, sad, difficult story, but I'm mostly over the past, just still struggling with the anxiety my mom has caused through the years. My anxiety escalated to PTSD during the 7-8 months she stayed with us, two years ago. She was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, which the psychologist/social welfare people, etc. here call Narcissism X Bipolar, and now they added Dementia to the list. Anyway... she moved permanently into a retirement home last year March, but then started phoning me again which triggered the escalation. All the years we've lived apart (when I was an adult), but I always had to deal with all the issues and trouble via phone (on top of a difficult childhood). Hence the phoning being the trigger. But since she stayed with us, even thinking that I have to face her makes me anxious. I was told that going no contact was the best option, but that hasn't panned out at all. If it wasn't for the people here on NF, I would have totally lost it.

My problem is I tend to need to take time to get my brain to actually work properly after hearing her voice on the phone. When I hear her voice I go into 'protection/emergency mode'. When hubby and I spoke that evening I told him that only later on I realised that it doesn't matter what she told the doctors, they won't do anything before consulting us, because they need our signatures on the papers, or they won't get paid. And they won't have a foot to stand on going just on her say so. But I wasn't thinking properly when I spoke to her, so...

---------------00---------------

My mom's sister in law also contacted me again, saying that they have now also blocked her on their phones because of messages she has been sending. And Brandt's mom also said that she has blocked her, again after she started sending her more messages, not just "good morning" and "sleep well" every single day. So my mom has really ratcheted up the old cellphone network. I wish I can get to  the point of saying "not my business, not my monkeys," but I'm still far from that point.

Week 2 - Thursday and Friday

• Bible/Quiet time: Yes, some serious discussions in my head.
  • Water/Tea: Yes!  At least 1 bottle each day. Heading on to finishing a 2nd bottle of water just now.
  • Sleep < 21h30: Tried, but again, only in bed and really relaxing around 21h45 Thursday evening. I don't think Friday (tonight) will be much better.
  • Food: No gluten!
  • Finances: Nothing yet. But more paperwork. Seriously, can the companies in South Africa not get their paperwork done properly? This is not the first time that we are withdrawing money from our one account, yet, every single time there are paperwork that comes in two, three weeks afterwards that still needs to be done. Which was done previously!
  • Chores: All up to date. The boys did their room today. Yesterday they cleaned the computer tables.
  • Strength training: No.
  • Walk: Nope. Had to drop Adam at riding, then immediately drive to Brandt's office to get his signature on finance papers. When we got back to riding the lady needed to leave early, so no walking for Rocco and I.
  • Burpees: Nothing. Seriously the boys are doing much better than I am at this! Even Brandt started doing burpees two mornings a week.

Neighbour's son came over to play again this afternoon 14h00-17h00. Then another lady phoned, also a home schooler, and asked whether she and her grandson could pop in while in between his sport lessons. So they pitched up. The mother is single and thus the money earner, so the grandmother HS and looks after the boy (13yr). He also has Aspergers. Adam and he did a WESA (nature) course together about two years ago. Everything was ok until they had to leave. It was about 30min. before his next sport practice (just down the road), but his grandmother still wanted to go home and start dinner. She asked him to finish up the game he was playing with Adam, and he answered her so rudely! I couldn't believe it! Told her flat out he won't leave, that there was 30min. left, and tough luck for her! So I went to stand next to him, took him by the shoulder (softly), told him to look at me, then told him in no uncertain terms that his grandmother has spoken, and that they ARE going home now. Made my voice softer and told him that he is definitely welcome to come play again, but now, at that time she wanted to go home, and my husband just arrived home from work, so we also had to get dinner done. "Yes, ok... no problem." And he got up. At the door I told him again that he was welcome to come again but he has to keep in mind that I am very strict, and if I talk to him, he must listen. His eyes were big, and he immediately again said yes no problem. The granny thanked me for being firm, they got in their car, I assured her both of them were welcome (she looked like she needed a break!) and they left. Luckily I have experience in this area with previous friends of ours' son.

Otherwise this was a nice relaxing afternoon. I watched some Grand Designs New Zealand on YouTube, and am now going to start proof reading a new book I just got in. Have to quickly help Brandt with the car first.

So a quick goodbye and hope you have a great weekend.

• Like 6

Week 3 - Sunday & Monday

• Water/Tea: 1 bottle Sunday; 1.5bottles Monday.
  • Sleep < 21h30: Sunday around 22h00; Monday just, just after 21h30.
  • Food: Gluten in the pudding crust (visiting) on Sunday; Monday no gluten.
  • Finances: No dailies because money is finished, caput! Discussed it with Brandt so it is basically up to date. Monthlies still to be done.
  • Chores: All up to date. I haven't done the open shelves in the kitchen this week, as I don't think they need cleaning just yet.
  • Strength training: Not yet.
  • Burpees: Monday - yes!

Brandt's taking part in a big dirt rally race this coming weekend. His navigator invited us over for lunch (about 40min. drive out of town), where we had pudding with a biscuits crust. The food was delicious! Oxtail stew, and Chicken Banti Curry. Their kids are all grown up, but the boys had a fun time taking turns playing with their dogs, playing on their tablets (not much actually), and just sitting and chatting with us grownups. The family was really chilled and down to earth. I haven't had such a nice visit in a long time.

Money-wise things are fine again as of 15min. ago. One of Brandt's clients should have paid the invoice into Brandt's bank account last week, but for some or other reason paid into an old bank account of Brandt's (which he closed 1.5yrs ago). It isn't as if they haven't paid any money into the new account. They've paid 5 invoices just these last 9 months into the 'new' account, and the correct bank details are on all his invoices. When Brandt phoned them early yesterday morning to find out when they'll pay, the owner/manager nearly blew a gasket!  We are talking a lot of money here. Anyway he is trying to get his money back from the old closed account, but in the meantime paid Brandt personally to make sure no more mistakes happen (and that he retains Brandt's services).

This challenge isn't really set up to loose weight, but I'm happy that I seem to be loosing some centimeters. I haven't measured, but my clothes, especially tops around my bust and arms are a lot looser. My middle and thighs somewhat too, but I haven't come down in overall weight. The scale still winks on the same number every time I get on.

And a small update on immigration: Brandt's police clearance has been done and finalised. Mine not. I think there might be a mix up with the surname changes when I had to take my then stepfather's surname (last year of high school). Our Home Affairs lost that name change, as my unabridged birth certificate was printed with my original surname, but when I got married I used my stepfather's surname as legally that was my surname at that stage. At least my ID number stayed the same. *shrug* I'll just have to wait and see. W.r.t. New Zealand, Brandt doesn't want to discuss further plans yet, but it seems the only chance we might have is for him to take a month off work and actually go there to find a job. That will be the case with immigrating anywhere. Immigration seems to be getting more difficult to make happen, to any country, from South Africa.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

And a small update on immigration:

Ugh thats tough, when it was out of control.

Hopefully an amazing job is lining up for Brandt by the universe to have it work out...

Would be up for a challenge of burpees and some dancing..  (Which reminds me I do have Just Dance for those bax weather days for myself.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LovelyBouncer said:

Ugh thats tough, when it was out of control.

Hopefully an amazing job is lining up for Brandt by the universe to have it work out...

Brandt said he received a couple replies back from companies these last two weeks that said if only he was already in New Zealand, they wouldn't hesitate to offer him the position. But alas, selling everything here, picking up roots and just going over with no surety or security of any kind, is not something we can do.

From your lips, to God's ear w.r.t. an amazing job lining up for him!  image.png.e7b22af2496060e18267bcca5e3e1299.png

8 hours ago, LovelyBouncer said:

Would be up for a challenge of burpees and some dancing..  (Which reminds me I do have Just Dance for those bax weather days for myself.)

@Lightning - someone else to join us next challenge. No pressure :D

Rocco also has a dance game, for XBox 360 Kindle, but he rarely uses it.

We updated our usb sticks last night (use it in the car to listen to music while driving somewhere), and we almost got some steps worked out to the start of Marvel's Glitter and Gold song! We are both very keen, and looking forward to having some fun together. Adam can either join in, or make short videos of us learning. Videos as evidence that we are practicing, but I have to admit I'm not too keen on that :redface-new:.

First to learn some original line dancing steps, and get the hang of keeping time. Then learning some extra steps and incorporating them. I think I'll have to be one step ahead of him so that I can show him what to do, but we'll sit together and plan and work out the next steps. Or something like that. I'm getting way ahead of myself at the moment.

6 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Good for you for backing up the grandma and making that boy obey. Maybe that will encourage grandma to make him obey.

Woot or looser fitting clothes 

He is coming to visit/play this Friday. She wanted to cancel his school work, and (I suspect) send him over for the whole morning (how I understood her whatsapp message), but I quickly said that we finish school only at 12h00, and that he was welcome to come over after 12h30 till 15h00, when he has to be at parkour lessons. Then she wanted to know whether she could send avos along for lunch, so I thanked her (because it is a nice gesture from her), but suggested that she maybe just pack him a lunchbox as she knows what he eats, and we'll have our lunch, and we take it from there. I'll make sure I have more of whatever we are eating, so we can share, but she already said he is very fussy (and so is Rocco), so I'm not going to add that headache for now. Do you think I am too commanding? Ordering her around?

I've tentatively set a bring and braai date for Saturday 31 Aug. The mom should be off duty (she's a local pilot) from 6pm. Neither Brandt nor I have anything on for that following Sunday, so we can sleep in. The boys don't have school, so they can stay up later, BUT it is actually best if D keeps to his regular schedule (if he has one). Not going to worry too much about it. Not my monkeys! I have a sneaky suspicion that Brandt has met the mom previously when he went to gym, because how many female pilots are there in Pmb? Very, very few. At least I think we'll all get along nicely.

-----------------------------------------00-----------------------------------------

Week 3 - Tuesday

• Water/Tea: Nearly 2 bottles, but not quite.
  • Sleep < 21h30: In bed by 21h30.
  • Food: Yes... cheesy jalapeno bites in a crust. Couldn't say no. That supermarket has qualified chefs working for them, and their food is delicious! Saw the bites and decided to treat Brandt and myself with some at dinner time.
  • Finances: Money is sorted. Monthly finances not yet up to date.... *sigh* GET IT TOGETHER, ELIZE.
  • Chores: All up to date.
  • Strength training: Yes! And I wasn't as tired as the first time.
  • Burpees: Tuesday - no. Did strength workout. [Total for the challenge: 50] Just to show how bad/behind I am, the boys already have 120 burpees each; but they have to do it before they go on the computers each morning.

Strength:

• Joint Circles (warm up)
  • Full/Reverse Push ups (3/5 - 3/5 - 0/8) [Total full push ups during this challenge: 19]
  • Squats 3x8@15kg
  • Inv.Pullups 3x8
  • Jackknife (core) 15x
  • One Knee Wood Choppers 15x each side
  • Stretches

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Do you think I am too commanding? Ordering her around?

NO! You are setting good boundaries. She's being too commanding and, if not ordering you around, trying to manipulate you into letting her pawn the boy off on you. You stood your ground with healthy boundaries and didn't fall for it.

• Like 3

I think you did a great job of expressing what your expectations (or boundaries) were to the grandma, not commanding at all.

I do have a slight disagreement with Tank (rare occurrence) I don't think she was trying to manipulate you. I think she was just asking what would work, and you told her. She may have expected too much from you, but as long as she doesn't keep pushing it , I don't really think she was trying to manipulate you. I say this because I want to reassure and remind you that most people aren't like your mom.  Generally speaking, we can usually tell people kindly and firmly what works for us or doesn't work for us, and they appreciate it. It's those people who never listen to us, and who keep pushing, that we may need to distance ourselves a bit from

• Like 3

On 8/21/2019 at 2:45 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

NO! You are setting good boundaries. She's being too commanding and, if not ordering you around, trying to manipulate you into letting her pawn the boy off on you. You stood your ground with healthy boundaries and didn't fall for it.

20 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I think you did a great job of expressing what your expectations (or boundaries) were to the grandma, not commanding at all.

I do have a slight disagreement with Tank (rare occurrence) I don't think she was trying to manipulate you. I think she was just asking what would work, and you told her. She may have expected too much from you, but as long as she doesn't keep pushing it , I don't really think she was trying to manipulate you. I say this because I want to reassure and remind you that most people aren't like your mom.  Generally speaking, we can usually tell people kindly and firmly what works for us or doesn't work for us, and they appreciate it. It's those people who never listen to us, and who keep pushing, that we may need to distance ourselves a bit from

Thanks Tank and EG. As long as I'm setting firm, good boundaries, and don't come over as commanding or domineering. I don't think she was trying to manipulate me, but she definitely was trying to get me to take her grandson off her hands more, as she later asked whether he couldn't come through the week, after extra-murals, etc. I said a firm no. When we get home in the afternoons (16h00-17h00) it is maybe a tad early to start dinner, but I do, and then all of us, including the boys, just want to relax. When Brandt gets here from work (18h00-18h30), everything must be ready and set. I don't believe in socialising early/late evenings for school aged kids; not as a regular thing. A sometimes thing, maybe. On special occasions, yes, not a regular week thing. They may be home schooling but it is still a school night. The boy might be pushing his grandmother, but then she needs to firm up. I'll see how things go tomorrow when he comes over. Won't be too long, just over 2hrs. Then I have to rush to town anyway to buy some groceries.

Rocco spent an hour at the English neighbours today. Again the little boy (5yrs old) kept calling him to the fence, but Rocco told him firmly that we were doing school work and that he couldn't play with him at that time. After school Rocco went to talk to little N at the fence, upon which the domestic worker phoned the mom at work to find out whether Rocco could go over to play there. They just told me it was ok, I didn't know that the mom had consented, so I phoned her myself to make sure. Anyway... it was ok, and she understood that it would only be for an hour, as I wasn't going to leave Rocco there while taking Adam for riding lessons. So Rocco and N had their time playing their online computer game (N on the pc in their house, R on the tablet). So all worked out. The mom complimented me on Rocco's patience with her son, which I in turn relayed to Rocco. He loves little kids.

And last but not least: my police clearance came through today! Also our pets' titre tests from earlier this year came back A-OK! So the dogs and cat, are in the clear for that part of immigration for the next two years!

Spring seems to be jumping at us quickly this year. The jasmine is out in full bloom! It smells heavenly when you walk outside. I've now caught Brandt a couple times stopping to smell the flowers. :):love_heart:

-----------------------------------------00-----------------------------------------

Week 3 - Wednesday

• Water/Tea: 2 Bottles!
  • Sleep < 21h30: OOPS! Tuesday I was only in bed by 22h30. Wednesday I was in bed by 22h00 :( Tonight! Let's see how tonight turns out.
  • Food: No gluten.
  • Finances: Monthlies to be done.
  • Chores: I cleaned the shower one evening while showering, so I didn't clean it again last night. Otherwise basically up to date. Nothing that I feel I need to do.
  • Strength training: Tuesday yes.
  • Walk: Yes! 5km. It was a fowl day: sun shining, slight breeze blew my hat off, chickens cackled in various yards, I saw a couple (3x) peacocks. Two on one side of the road, the other calling from the other side of the road. Some tame farm geese were squabbling about who knows what in another plot, and that set off a flock of wild Egyptian geese to fly squawking into the air! Saw some other birds too. :D
  • Burpees: Yes, 10 more. [Total for the challenge: 60 incl. 10res.]

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Manipulating wasn't the right word, but I did sense she was trying to dump the kid on you.

Yip definitely, as I've gone through that with another friend (two, three years ago), I think I've learned my lesson well. Just to keep the boundaries strong. I do feel for the granny (and mom), but I'm definitely not going to be the quick solution. But I'll keep my eyes and heart open.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Xena said:

I'm very impressed by the way you have set boundaries with the play dates.

Thanks. I think things will go well this afternoon.

Week 3 - Thursday

• Water/Tea: Just just under 2 bottles.
  • Sleep < 21h30: Just after 21h00. I was so tired.
  • Food: Had 3 rusks.
  • Finances: Monthlies to be done.
  • Chores: Nothing except dailies.
  • Strength training: Not yet.
  • Walk: Yes, twice up the driveway at riding. Although the driveway is shady, it was hot and tiring.
  • Burpees: Yes, 20 more! [Total for the challenge: 80 just gonna use it]

I was very tired last night and was lying down for some quiet time by 20h45. Got up, showered, pajamas, in bed just after 21h00. Once up during the night because the dogs in the neighbourhood, then our street, went crazy, but we couldn't see anything. Hopefully just a wandering dog or cow.

I was reading a piece from history to the boys this morning, about fighting between the British, Boer, and Khoekhoen on the one hand, defending their border (Fish River) against the invading Xhosa. +-300 against thousands of invaders. It turned into a discussion of weapons and distances (miles vs km; steps vs meters or yards); comparing those old muskets where they had to load one bullet at a time against thick shields and spears. Of course it turned into a re-enactment of the situation: one boy holding an imaginary spear and shield, the other one trying to reload a musket with cloth, gun powder and lead ball in record time! At least they didn't send me to walk through the imaginary Xhosa warriors like Elizabeth Salt had to do to take a small barrel of gunpowder to a group of fighters who were cut off from the town and supplies! But now the boys also understand better why there were at least one or two support people for every shooter. I really like when they become involved in the lesson and want to 'try' things out, or re-enact, or think further than just the story.

• Like 4

Week 3 - Friday

• Water/Tea: Just just under 2 bottles again.
  • Sleep < 21h30: ~ on time. Think it was 5min. after, but that's ppfffttt.
  • Food: Had fish in batter, so gluten yes. Sinus is through the roof anyway, with all the flowers and dust.
  • Finances: Monthlies to be done. Nothing changed.
  • Chores: Dailies and vacuumed the front room and kitchen. Laundry done too. Nothing else needed.
  • Strength training: Yes.
  • Walk: Done for the week.
  • Burpees: Done for the week [Total for the challenge: 80]

Strength:

• Joint Circles - done
  • Full/Reverse Pushups: 2/6 - 0/8 - 0/0 arms gave out on the 3rd set, just couldn't push myself up, so I didn't. Took about 5min. break.
  • Lateral Lunges - 3x5@10kg
  • Inverted Pullups - 3x8
  • Jackknife core - 15x and this time I could feel that the lowest ab muscles were joining in to help.
  • One Knee Woodchoppers - 15@4kg (upped the weight, and this time I could manage it)
  • Stretches

The visit went well enough. I think I'm going to have to read up a bit on teenagers. I'm feeling my way forward with Adam, and really I'm blessed to have such an obedient son who doesn't throw tantrums, doesn't really give us any trouble except with his brother, but he is on the first step of being a teenager. I look around and watch, and heard teenagers in a shop this morning (ok they were girls, which is different) and I start to wonder...

With regards to D's family; had an interesting chat with his grandmother again on Friday when she came to fetch him, and eeehhhh.... there are some funny (not ha-ha) things they believe in which actually made my eyes go wide. They're coming over for a braai next Saturday (the mom, gran, and both boys), so we'll see. We'll definitely have passionate discussions, but eish. Oh well... mmmm... I don't really know what to think.

Went to Brandt's rally race this morning. Spent two hours there, me lying on the picnic blanket, the boys sitting and playing on their tablets, under the shade canopy, with Brandt and his navigator coming and going between sprints through the plantations and sugar cane fields. And it got boring super fast. Highlight were two helicopters separately passing very low over the area, otherwise... eventually when Brandt and E came in again I told him we were leaving and we'll see him at home. He was fine with it, and then said that he thought we were probably a bit bored out of our skulls. I just gave him a smile and a kiss, and we left.

I don't know where winter went, or spring for that matter. It's been in the low to middle 30C the whole week! If it's this hot at the end of winter/beginning of spring, I think we can expect summer temperatures above 40C again. And on such a hot note, needing some cooling off, I managed to finally get the boys in at a swimming coach. They'll start on a Monday afternoon beginning of September. The coaches have taught a couple of South African Olympic medal winners, which means their prices are on the high side, but their coaching is top notch. The one thing I like is that at the end of swimming season (next year April/May) they do life saving swimming courses with the kids, and they have to exam-swim to qualify for a certificate. That is something they can really use in future. So some things are again changing within the next two weeks.

I'll stop the rambling now, and leave you to enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Bye for now... :love_heart:

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

A book I highly recommend is Age of Opportuity; A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens by Paul Tripp

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LUVAVV6/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&amp;btkr=1

Thanks! I've put it on my wish list. Your post however, reminded me that I have a book by Dr. James Dobson on parenting, and I see it has a chapter on adolescents which I haven't read yet. I think. Maybe I did but I can't remember. I also dug up the other book I have, The Paradox Principle of Parenting, by James R. Lucas. I know I haven't read through this one, so I'll start taking both along when I have to wait during the boys' extra-murals. If I don't come right, or still feel I need something I'll definitely buy the book you recommended.

----------00----------

Woke up a couple times during the night because Rocco was complaining about a sore throat. Gave him Pegasus and vit.C. Woke up with a sore throat myself this morning. Wonderful in both our cases how your throat feels too sore to take medicine or eat, but it isn't too bad for a small piece of white chocolate :D I'm better, Rocco is very quiet, but he's had his Pegasus and chocolate and is drinking water again, so I take it his throat feels much better.

• Like 4

Hope you and Rocco both feel better soon.

I'm excited that you are getting your boys into swimming. I swam competitively growing up (wasn't particularly talented, but worked hard and enjoyed it) and worked as a lifeguard throughout my late teens. It's a great skill to develop.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Xena said:

Hope you and Rocco both feel better soon.

I'm excited that you are getting your boys into swimming. I swam competitively growing up (wasn't particularly talented, but worked hard and enjoyed it) and worked as a lifeguard throughout my late teens. It's a great skill to develop.

Thanks. I'm fine, just bad sinus, but Rocco developed a fever last night, which luckily seems to have broken this morning. He is not feeling well, throat still sore, but fever is gone! I have to admit I was nipping especially because we've had very bad flu, and swine flu, going through the city.

The boys first took water safety lessons (2yrs old), and then proper swimming lessons until they were about 9yrs (Adam) and 7yrs (Rocco) old, respectively. So till about 3-4yrs ago. Their then swimming coach and her husband (he taught me to swim as an adult, just after Adam was born) immigrated to New Zealand, and I couldn't find another coach where times worked out for us, or that would not force them to take part in competitions. Swimming is huge here because so many of South Africa's top swimmers came from this town, this region. Anyway... now I've finally found someone who seems to be normal and not want to force anything. The boys love the water, and with the added option that I can take them to the pool when they don't have lessons, it would definitely be nice. If they want to swim competitions now, I'll let them. They are big/old enough to make the choice and realise what it entails.

I love the fact that they will get some lifeguard training as well! I think it is a great skill to have.

----------00----------

Don't know how much of what I'll get to do today as my washing machine decided to throw water out last night. I think the inlet and outlet switch got stuck again, and it caused water to leak from somewhere underneath. Luckily we caught it with only a little bit of the bathroom floor flooded. Unfortunately that meant the electrical plug got wet and the house's electricity tripped, which is how we realised something was wrong. So in between school work, I'll switch the machine on again and see whether it got it's brain sorted (it's very mechanical and not much electronics though), and take it from there. And I'll start searching and phoning for service parts. Brandt serviced the machine when it was about 15yrs old, so I guess it is about time (it's now 24yrs). He also has to look at the tumble dryer *sigh*. Murphy and Life! That's just how it is.

Have a great week!

fixed spelling
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

I have to admit I was nipping especially because we've had very bad flu, and swine flu, going through the city.

Guessing this was either a typo or regional language difference. Where I'm from, nipping means covertly taking swigs of strong alcohol. I absolutely wouldn't blame you (and do sometimes have a bit of a drink when I'm ill to just help deal with the misery), but I'm guessing that's not what you meant.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Xena said:

Guessing this was either a typo or regional language difference. Where I'm from, nipping means covertly taking swigs of strong alcohol. I absolutely wouldn't blame you (and do sometimes have a bit of a drink when I'm ill to just help deal with the misery), but I'm guessing that's not what you meant.

LOL, I'd totally forgotten the drinking meaning of the word! Here we also use it to say that we are little bits worried (if that makes sense). Worried about something, but not totally stressed out about it. So whenever you think about it, you worry for a bit, then go on with other things, and then think about it again, and worry a bit... watching the situation, until you reach a point where you either really stress, or the situation has improved and you relax. I've now relaxed.

• Like 3

Glad you are relaxed now! It is always stressful when household stuff breaks. At least you caught it in time, and Brandt sounds like he is good at fixing things

• Like 2