GoodDoug Role Queue's for Support

GoodDoug

GoodDoug was getting better... good enough to leave the healer's tents, but he hung around anyways. He was learning so much here. And his respect for the healers was only growing. Most of the healers were from the druid guild, but there were members of the other guilds working as healers as well. Most of the half-ogre's assignments before this injury had been solo missions, working alone. He admired how the healers often worked together, using each other for support even as they supported the rest of the Rebellion.
The dragonborn healer that had nursed him back to health looked over to where he was helping stack bandages, "Come over here and hold this wrapping while I dress this soldier's wound."
She worked quietly, guiding his large hands to hold the delicate wraps, "You can pull a little tighter than that, dear."

She started including him more and more in the care of the sick and injured as they came in. Soon, she was directing him to take what he had learned from her to taking care of the less serious cases on his own.
One day, GoodDoug caught the dragonborn healer during a rare quiet moment, "Pardon me, but why am I still here?"
She looked at him, her eyes smiling though the rest of her face was hard, "Your body is well on its way to healing, but I figured helping out around here would help teach you how to heal yourself. Also, I must admit, it is nice to have such an eager helper here. Now it is my turn to ask you, why are you still here? You don't need my explicit discharge to leave."
The half-ogre thought about it. His answer came slowly, "I want to learn, and I want to be useful. But I feel like my size and strength are better for fighting than healing..." after a long pause he continued, "I want to do what you guys do. I want to learn how to do it, but I'm afraid of screwing it up. Out there, on my own, if I screw up, it is only me that gets hurt."
Her reply was curt, "Do you really want to get hurt out there?"
"Well, no, not really. I don't think I do..."
"One of the first lessons of the healers is that you must care for yourself in order to care for others. I think that is what you need to learn."

This challenge is about rehab. Rehab of my back, and rehab of my psyche. I've been getting better about doing the right things for my body, now I need to get better about doing the right things for my psyche.

Keep doing:

• Juggling every day-  that was a huge win last time, and I think it will be good for my psyche. Taylor Glen is my new hero, and is a good lesson in appreciating someone else's talent and hard work without resenting my own lack thereof.
  • Handstands every day - Holy cow this was awesome last challenge and I want to keep up that momentum. I am seeing real progress doing this.
  • Track food every day - I've been on a roll, so lets keep rolling with it

Start doing:

• Ring workout - Still trying to figure out what is the right frequency with this, can I do a couple of pull-ups and dips every day? Or should I do a big workout a few times a week?
  • Mobility work every day - I've started doing this and it is helping my back and hips, I need to find some good mobility exercises (hello, GMB!) and come up with a routine.
  • Creativity every day - I need this. Refer again to Taylor Glen.
  • Meditate - Every day? I want to make this not a chore, but something I want to do , so I am not making it a hard rule to do every day.
  • Keep up on the forums - Try to offer some encouragement on these forums every week day. I have found that helping others is so much easier than helping myself. I am hoping that I can look at myself as I look at others on these forums. I hope that showing kindness to others will allow me to show kindness to myself.

Ramp up: These are things I want to at least do a couple of times this challenge

• Run - I need to ease back into running again, sigh
  • Lift - I am going to try and go to the gym once or twice a week and lift really light weights

It is time to push myself. Not as much physically as mentally. I think that is going to be very hard for me. Thnx in advance for your support.

• Like 12

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

I love your goals, looks like you keep yourself busy with all kinds of fun activities. The handstands goal is especially cool. I have always wanted to be able to do handstands. It will probably be something I work on once I have a more stable yoga practice.

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

12 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I love your goals, looks like you keep yourself busy with all kinds of fun activities. The handstands goal is especially cool. I have always wanted to be able to do handstands. It will probably be something I work on once I have a more stable yoga practice.

I've always wanted to do handstands as well, and I've been working on them off an on for a couple of years. 

11 hours ago, AmayaDances said:

Following along!!

Handstands are on my short list of tricks to work up to, so thanks in advance for inspiration emoji16.png

Now that I've put a focus on them, they are coming along nicely. Just seems to take some focussed effort and a willingness to get out of my comfort zone to make progress.

5 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey, here for you Doug. Keep going, you are doing great x

Thnx! I appreciate the support

• Like 1

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Great story and great goals!

The mind is the harder beast to tame for sure, but you've got a great approach on it.   Be patient with it, eh!   This ranger-monk is working on similar things, so we can totally support each other.

• Like 1

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Zero week! So far, keeping up with what I had been doing last challenge: Juggling, Handstands, and Tracking food. In fact, I've pushed myself a bit on juggling (learning a new trick, the Claymotion) and handstands (kicked up a whole bunch more times, and actually held it free, not against the wall for a good 3 seconds).

Also started doing mobility exercises, they seem to be helping. My back feels better and worse... it feels less like it is injured and more like it is just muscle sore. I need to jump on meditation and do a rings workout, but I still have some time.

• Like 11

Healers Brigade

Current

8 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

I've always wanted to do handstands as well, and I've been working on them off an on for a couple of years. 

I think I even have the NF handstands program. I meant to start working on them a couple years ago, but I let life get in the way. Good on you for continuing to put in the work. You will get there soon enough :)

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

On 7/31/2019 at 5:55 PM, GoodDoug said:

Run - I need to ease back into running again, sigh

Sounds like you are doing plenty and it might not be back to let your back heal a bit more.

I think I understand the sigh, but I guess there could be lots of reasons. Starting running after time off from it REALLY sucks. It feels terrible. BUT it gets better really fast. After just a couple runs, it sucks a whole lot less.

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Giid start to the challenge dude, sounds like you're pretty good at handstands already!

On 7/31/2019 at 10:55 PM, GoodDoug said:

Run - I need to ease back into running again, sigh

If you don't mind me asking, why do you *need* to run? I don't know much about your wider goals, is it for something specific?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy running, but it's definitely not a prerequisite of being fit or healthy.

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

On 7/31/2019 at 5:55 PM, GoodDoug said:

Start doing:

• Ring workout - Still trying to figure out what is the right frequency with this, can I do a couple of pull-ups and dips every day? Or should I do a big workout a few times a week?
  • Mobility work every day - I've started doing this and it is helping my back and hips, I need to find some good mobility exercises (hello, GMB!) and come up with a routine.
  • Creativity every day - I need this. Refer again to Taylor Glen.
  • Meditate - Every day? I want to make this not a chore, but something I want to do , so I am not making it a hard rule to do every day.
  • Keep up on the forums - Try to offer some encouragement on these forums every week day. I have found that helping others is so much easier than helping myself. I am hoping that I can look at myself as I look at others on these forums. I hope that showing kindness to others will allow me to show kindness to myself.

Ramp up: These are things I want to at least do a couple of times this challenge

• Run - I need to ease back into running again, sigh
  • Lift - I am going to try and go to the gym once or twice a week and lift really light weights

It is time to push myself. Not as much physically as mentally. I think that is going to be very hard for me. Thnx in advance for your support.

the effort to "add" things.   I was just thinking of it as I read J stanlick's posts.  its No easy thing!

and anyways. specificly about RUNNING.  that has always been Particularly hard (for me at least) to start.  so Hard and strained at first.  perhaps walk first then "add" running to it. (a personal suggestion- if it helps)

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

5 hours ago, Jarric said:

If you don't mind me asking, why do you *need* to run? I don't know much about your wider goals, is it for something specific?

I like running once I can get into it. When I start running after a break, it feels good when I stop ;) but as I get better I enjoy running and like the way I feel when I have running as part of my routine. Couple that with living in a place that has great views whichever direction I decide to run and it is a no brainer. 

14 hours ago, Xena said:

After just a couple runs, it sucks a whole lot less.

I've experienced that before, but sometimes, I just want it to be easy and to not have to work. Why can't I just have something for free? </whining> I know that once I start I will be flying high in a few weeks, but I'm just going to let myself complain (a little bit) for now.

1 hour ago, TGP said:

perhaps walk first then "add" running to it.

I've done that before, and I know to allow myself to walk for parts of my run if needed. The goal is to increase my distance doing the run/walk/run thing and then switch to more running and less walking.

As an update for zero week:

Still doing handstands, started the groundwork for learning a new trick in juggling... but it turns out I need to learn a more basic move before I can do this new trick. So, I now have to train my mindset to not think, "Dammit, now I have to put off doing what I want to do to quickly figure out this thing I should supposedly already know," and turn that into, "Yay! here is a new skill that I can master."

Still doing mobility work and my back feels much better. Still not 100% but I think I can start doing some stuff. Again, mindset shift needs to be from, "I can't do that! If I reinsure my back I'll have to start over!" to "I need to be careful, and stop as soon as it feels bad, but I won't know what I can do until I try."

Did a short rings workout this morning and did okay. I still have my feet on a bench as an assist, but I feel like I am working hard. Good to feel that muscle soreness in the arms again.

Meditated this morning and that felt really good. For creativity, last night I made a monkeys fist belgeri and am starting to learn how to do that as well.

And lastly, one other thing I was thinking of adding to the challenge (RangerBrain™) was DuoLingo training with French. Hard to maintain as we only got back from France a few weeks ago and have no plans to go back any time soon... but I think continuing with it would be fun and good for me. I might make it a side quest... healers need to be able to communicate with others, maybe this half-ogre needs to learn Elvish or Draconic to learn some new healing techniques?

• Like 8

Healers Brigade

Current

23 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

as I get better I enjoy running and like the way I feel when I have running as part of my routine. Couple that with living in a place that has great views whichever direction I decide to run and it is a no brainer.  

Well in that case, definitely get back to running man!

24 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

And lastly, one other thing I was thinking of adding to the challenge (RangerBrain™) was DuoLingo training with French.

FYI Duolingo also now have a French podcast to help immerse you in the language. I've not listened to it yet, but it sounds like a good idea. (Then again, I haven't worked on my French in about a year, so it might be a bit lost on me!)

• Like 2

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

following! trying to incorporate creating or maybe just consciously creating into my life too. looking forward to watching your challenge :) 

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

Current Challenge: Plague

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

38 minutes ago, Jarric said:

FYI Duolingo also now have a French podcast to help immerse you in the language.

I downloaded and listened to the first minute and realized I need to do a lot more lessons before I can follow that!

21 minutes ago, ladyofthebog said:

following! trying to incorporate creating or maybe just consciously creating into my life too. looking forward to watching your challenge :) 

Yay! Creativity is something I need to be conscious about or I forget that I can do it

• Like 2

Healers Brigade

Current

Did someone call for a support class??

giphy.gif

(i overuse this gif too much but i am not sorry for it)

I love your mobility work, my back has been bothering me lately too and I've been making a slow effort to get back into it.  It's hard to fit everything in, isn't it??

Here to see you succeed and SHOUT AFFIRMATIVE MOTIVATION AS NEEDED!! <3

• Like 6

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

On 8/3/2019 at 7:33 AM, shaar said:

I love your mobility work, my back has been bothering me lately too and I've been making a slow effort to get back into it.  It's hard to fit everything in, isn't it??

Here to see you succeed and SHOUT AFFIRMATIVE MOTIVATION AS NEEDED!! <3

YAY FOR AFFIRMATION SHOUTS! Thnx. And I am adapting some stuff from GMB  for mobility and it has really been helping.

On 8/4/2019 at 12:10 AM, Salinger said:

My poor back!!! What you doing to help yours??xx

As I said to Shaar, this GMB article really started me down the path to healing.

Also, thnx especially to Elastigirl for turning me on to GMB fitness.

On 8/4/2019 at 2:19 AM, @mu said:

Found you! In for handstands, and all the circus/creative stuff :D

Yay! 

• Like 3

Healers Brigade

Current

Checking in on my ogre-y buddy.   Looking good over here.    I loved reading about how you get back to loving running.   It's always so neat when that happens- which, with running, is never for me, but some other stuff does it like that.

I keep dabbling with other languages as an idea... or ASL.  But I just don't think there's spare room on the docket for things.  Not right now.

• Like 1

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Week zero wrap up

The half-ogre tucked a large hand under the elf's shoulder and helped to lift him gently to a sitting position. He was a bit behind on his rounds for the morning, but he had a feeling this one needed some extra attention. 
"How is the arm feeling? It looks healed but it looks like you are still afraid to put any weight on it."
The elf looked GoodDoug in the eys, "It feels fine, but I can't seem to get up the nerve to use it. It's like the physical wound is gone..." after an uncomfortable pause he continued, "but the pain is still there, waiting for me."
GoodDoug gave what he hoped was his least terrifying grin, "We all feel that way after an injury like that. When you are ready, I can help you with some exercises that can ease you into working it. After you've strengthened it up a bit, you will forget you ever had that injury."

GoodDoug continued his rounds, the fighting was getting heavier, and there were more casualties coming in than healed fighters going out. It had been a great learning experience, but it was obvious the Rebellion was in trouble. The dragonborn healer that was his master for learning the healing arts approached him as he was washing between patients.
"I need you to prepare to go into the field. I'd prefer if you had another week's training here, but we need a Ranger healer out there." GoodDoug knew what she meant by that. They needed someone that could fight and travel as well as heal. The old healer continued, "Your rehab isn't finished either, so I'll be directing Havel to give you some exercises to do while you are out there. Finish your rounds here, then report to Havel for training. After that, pack some healing supplies and report to your guild leader for deployment."
As usual, she didn't wait for a response but ran off yelling at another intern to not pull that dressing so tight.

GoodDoug didn't know if he was ready for this assignment, but knew the only way to find out if he was ready was to get out there and do it.

I'm not going to do a full report on zero week other than to say it was pretty good. The mobility work I started kept going, I continued doing juggling and handstands and I am starting to push myself a bit by learning some new juggling tricks and holding handstands past my comfort point. Food has gone mostly okay, I am not stressing it too much, but tracking every day. Even when I eat crap (like I did yesterday) I track it.Which for me is the real sign of success in tracking.

For today (Day 1!) I started out doing some mobility work, then handstands, holding for a good 4 seconds at one point. Did a very quick ring workout. I meditated this morning and did DuoLingo. So I feel pretty good.
I am hoping to go for a run tomorrow as my back feels pretty good. If that goes well, I'll try and fit some more running in where I can.

Day 1 is only started and I feel great with this challenge.

• Like 11

Healers Brigade

Current

GMB is the bomb for mobility, I did Elements a while back and loved it.

Glad day 1 is off to a great start!!! :DDD

• Like 3

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~