Quiet power

Renate

Quiet power, to me, means that I am not weak because I overthink or overanalyze frequently. I am whatever I choose to be, and I can learn anything that I need in any given situation. (Or find someone that could help me out.)
My introspectiveness, when aimed and used in the right way, is a strength. What I have to do is let go of the limits I impose on myself, see the opportunities around me, and learn from those I admire.
Whatever path I set out on. 

Fitness
Move

• Keep on exercising (2 to) 3 times a week. 
  • Short yoga in the morning.
  • Chair yoga in between writing/studies.

Fuel 

Since I am noticing it is still not going naturally…

• Eat well during the day so I can stop at 7 pm.
  • Drink water.
  • Eat vegetables.

I am also taking some supplements like iron and B-vitamines when needed… And some papaya extract. Supposedly for the metabolism. Idk, it is safe as far as I can see and a gift so why not?

Rest
Last challenge, due to the heat and my then and still extra flexible schedule (flexibility will decrease exponentially starting August 15th), I wanted to apply a regime of waking up early, having a siesta and going to bed at a "normal" hour. I.e. not 8-9pm.
Let’s see what happens/if I can do this. 

Life
*Keep academic skills levelled/increase them
Think that’s a nicer sounding name for the quest than “thesis writing”. Because that’s the goal you pursue when writing before you are finally a master. Honing your academic skills. The article/assignment is a goal in itself only when you get to publish it and/or get paid for it… Imho. And even then, the goals are ‘honing skills further’, ‘getting income’ and ‘branding yourself’. Whatever phrasing helps me sleep at night, eh? :p

• If not writing on the relevant topic, look for potential topics for next year’s thesis. (Boil it down to 3 topics, find 5 relevant sources for each topic.)

*Summer reading

• (At least) 100/100 pages of subject-relevant literature down.

Yeah, maybe if I can post the slow rate what I read and summarise, it will provide some accountability. 
(I do feel like I procrastinate with USEFUL things these past couple of week, so that’s a step forward from the beginning of the summer. I mean, ok, it’s vacation time. But it’s not good for you to do leisurely things while feeling the dread of working, esp when it’s unnecessary. I just wanted to get a head start. So doing useful things and freeing up time for fun things is a step forward. Best is if I just focused on the task at hand that I planned to do…)

*Bake smth with almond flower.

*Finish the 2 organising tasks I have literally left in a corner a month ago.

• Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

11 hours ago, analoggirl said:

the table format with time tracking & how it made me feel (sorry for not giving credit where credit is due, stil need to find who that was)

That would be @zenLara :)

• Thanks 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 8/1/2019 at 5:23 PM, analoggirl said:

I plan to give the sleep schedule a spin first because I kind of get carried away and easily distracted with logging things.

Good thought! 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Allllright. So, hopefully tonight I will finish the challenge set-up. Dunno why I wanted to post it so early relative to when I thought I'd have time to write it out. :p (Probably because I almost started browsing FB and wanted to focus my energy towards smth more productive since I did not feel like sleeping yet.)

Did I mention that I had a miscommunication with my to-be thesis supervisor ? I approached her very early on last year, I thought she got that I was in no hurry to finish my thesis but we did not talk about specifics. I wanted to email her when I had some sort of finished chapter, but I kept not having time/inspiration/etc. and the more I postponed it. The more I felt like I had to have something to show for the time spent. Basically, newbie mistakes. After so many assignments/essays I should have known better, but when I actually approached her again it was so late she had not planned for me anymore. 

And I was going to search for another topic, but I cannot think of anything, so I have to talk with her if my topic is/will still be relevant when I finish it. All the while I think the subjects I have to pass next year (and the thesis I have to write for next year and the way the uni has organised that) & earning some money here and there & maintaining my social and family life will be more than enough for me to manage (if I want to do it well).

And I really want to do next year well. Keep it simple, do less, do it better.

Soooo... A part of me wants to just pretend that other thesis obligation does not exist. But I think the more adult thing to do is to email and meet with the professor again. And talk about the options, what she would recommend me to do. Given the fact I'm sort of "done" with the academic route for now and want to graduate next year. Though I guess I can write if/when I find a job as well.

(Even though I have seen many struggle finding the time to write once they start working. However... Although I do believe GREATLY in learning from other people's mistake, this might be one that I'll have to experience on my own. IF I find a job right after I graduate, and with this climate, who knows right? So no need to worry about that.) 

Yeah. If I have to be really honest with myself, I have already made a decision. But the adult thing to do is talk with the professor and see if she sees things the way I see them.

PS - I'm going to go spinning tonight. :) Still haven't decided what I want to do when this year's sports membership ends. Something for later this month, since the price is better in august if I want to renew it. Decide if I want something else next year.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

Yeah. If I have to be really honest with myself, I have already made a decision. But the adult thing to do is talk with the professor and see if she sees things the way I see them.

YEP! You got this. :)

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 8/6/2019 at 9:50 AM, analoggirl said:

Soooo... A part of me wants to just pretend that other thesis obligation does not exist. But I think the more adult thing to do is to email and meet with the professor again. And talk about the options, what she would recommend me to do. Given the fact I'm sort of "done" with the academic route for now and want to graduate next year. Though I guess I can write if/when I find a job as well.

(Even though I have seen many struggle finding the time to write once they start working. However... Although I do believe GREATLY in learning from other people's mistake, this might be one that I'll have to experience on my own. IF I find a job right after I graduate, and with this climate, who knows right? So no need to worry about that.) 

Yup, lots of ifs there; no point in worrying about things that aren't nailed down yet. FWIW, I started and completed a master's degree while working full time, including writing and defending a thesis. I won't say it was fun and relaxing, but it also wasn't "I'm so stressed I"m going to snap." Just curious though, is the thesis related to graduation at all? 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

7 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Yup, lots of ifs there; no point in worrying about things that aren't nailed down yet. FWIW, I started and completed a master's degree while working full time, including writing and defending a thesis. I won't say it was fun and relaxing, but it also wasn't "I'm so stressed I"m going to snap." Just curious though, is the thesis related to graduation at all? 

Yes, but I was doing the first degree mostly because I was not sure if I would get into the one I will start coming September. 

My idea was. Even if I did not get in, or if I do not cope with the professor(s) - there are a couple that take themselves too seriously - and/or the subject matter, all I have to do to get a master's is write my thesis for the first degree. Then I can start working in the field I want to. Now, since I got in, and will (given some perspiration investment and maybe help) be able to handle it, I can do the *work* I want to do. :) but since  both degrees require a thesis in order to graduate... I am considering only doing the second 1 (instead of both) but we will see.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

FWIW, I started and completed a master's degree while working full time, including writing and defending a thesis.  

PS - Snaps for you managing to do that. 

_________

I think I would be able to as well. It's mostly a matter of how my health will take it all.

I can mentally deal with a lot, but as I have noticed when I push myself, it physically affects me waaaay more than it should. You have to see it to believe it, it is kind of weird. 

So yeah. I really want to work on that this year so I can actually pursue the goals I want to. And not unnecessarily treat myself like fragile material like the first years of my 18+ life. :p 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

I think I would be able to as well. It's mostly a matter of how my health will take it all.

I can mentally deal with a lot, but as I have noticed when I push myself, it physically affects me waaaay more than it should. You have to see it to believe it, it is kind of weird. 

Mmmyup, I hear you here. In high-stress situations, I tend to be (or at least present) ok mentally, but I had one recently where my heart started throwing out irregular beats every couple minutes until the situation passed. My brain *felt* fine and unstressed, but apparently wasn't fooling my body 1 bit. Bodies are weird, ditto on brains. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 9:50 PM, analoggirl said:

Yeah. If I have to be really honest with myself, I have already made a decision.

Honestly one of the hardest things is being honest enough with ourselves to make that call.  Once you have the decision made,  you start putting together a plan of action to implement it. 

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 8/8/2019 at 4:43 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Honestly one of the hardest things is being honest enough with ourselves to make that call.  Once you have the decision made,  you start putting together a plan of action to implement it. 

Yup. :) Thanks. For the words.

I still have to email the professor and am procrastinating with the thought she might still be on vacation. Might email her or at least write a draft in the train tonight.

This weekend will involve 2 birthday visits. With lots of travels. I like to make very  friendships with diverse people I guess. (In this case, the diversity lies in that one fits more with the city life and the other person prefers the smaller, cosier athmosphere.) Keeps things fun? 

• Like 2

A little recap since I won't be doing much goals wise on Sat and Sunday.

I exercised twice this week. Spinning on Tuesday and yoga today. Spinning made me feel proud because I did not fool myself I would exercise later on when I did not feel like going. I went, I sweat, and I conquered. Sort of :p Did not always push the nob because I cannot keep up the tempo then. And yoga was awesome bc the supersmall groups lets the teacher focus on you and she really showed me what I was doing wrong and gave me cues... Even in the basics like going half-up after the forward fold, Warrior 1 and 2. 

(Though @the warriors I suspected as much because my hip flexibility is even worse than the rest of my flexibility.)

I did not always do yoga in the morning but I did once or twice. It felt great. I do poses with the intention to help my lymphatic sysyem do its thing but of course they give you nice stretches as well. 

No chair yoga besides the one time that gave me the idea to write it in my challenge. But I also have not been sitting more than 2 hours on end, usually walking to get smth halfway through.

Veggies. Still not happy with how much veggies and fruit I eat. Though I am going to have a chicken salad in the train now. Probably with sauce. Yes, with the sauce. Even though the birthday girl and I are probably going to have a movie night with snacks tonight. And cake tomorrow for brunch or something. Should not stress about the details as long as I am drinking enough water and not overeating overall.

Sleep. Sleep is weird. Bc I cannot get myself to "just do it" during the day, and the extra fam time and play time I am allowing myself with baby sis since it is summer time. Getting up before 7 or at least before 8 though, which is nice. And not staying up past midnight.

I am probably at 20/100 pages of reading now. I guess those extra 5 pages were very confusing so they took me 1,5 hour? Whew. So many variables now compared to 5...10, 20 years ago. I might need to watch a documental film or so bc it is difficult for me to remember the rules when I cannot remember the scenarios.

Nothing thesis related done.

Also have not baked or organised what I want to. Shopping for gifts took longer than I hoped. Eventually I settled for gift cards and heartfelt handwritten cards. But I always want to check stores to see if I do not find a gift that would be useful for someone if I have the time.

Ps - I sometimes watch a youtuber that is a few years younger than me, living in LA and just graduated from her film studies. What a wholesome girl, every so often takes herself on dates even when she had a boyfriend. I definitely value my alone time and doing things with friends time but that is taking it on another level :)

• Like 1

Gah my English level has greatly decreased since I have stopped gaming and otherwise real time interracting with native speakers. But I am sure writing on here and reading my web stories will help me pick it back up easily when I decide to get a certificate. Would be fun to translate things for others as a hobby/side project.

• Like 1

Sooo back home. What a wholesome weekend! Seriously lovely. I am so thankful for meeting these people and gathering a good circle around me.

It is small but qualitative. And in the end it is not as small as it seems, bc these people also value quality over quantity with friendships. So when they organise the occasional gathering, you feel the good vibes as well. Yessss.

Biked a bit here and there, got my heart rate up when I did so I count that as a mini third workout.

Stopped the urge to eat ice cream when I got back home.

Uhhh drinking water was less than ideal but I do not feel dehydrated so that is good.

Tomorrow is going to be a adminny/cleany type of Monday. Really want to get those things out of the way. Tuesday/Wednesday for actual work. Then I will be off to visit some family friends until Monday evening.

My self doubts are all over the place but with very faint voices that I drill into submission.

I just must not get myself overly excited. I know my strengths and weaknesses and can prepare accordingly. Just have to do it.

And if I make mistakes. Whatever? What else do I have to do for the coming decades I hope to have left if not make mistakes and learn. Ok? Ok.

And if they are mistakes I knew I might make? I will build a bridge and get over it.

The only way the wheel of time moves is forward. (I ignore all other possibilities bc I do believe in the butterfly effect.)

• Like 3

Glad you had a nice weekend with friends. Having good people around you is just such a great feeling. :)

You won't know if your advisor is on vacation or not unless you send that email. ;) 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

14 hours ago, raptron said:

Glad you had a nice weekend with friends. Having good people around you is just such a great feeling. :)

It is!

You won't know if your advisor is on vacation or not unless you send that email. ;) 

Haha exactly! The fallacies our brain comes up with are (not very) great.

_____

Well, "my" pilates place is closed for 2 weeks, my usual vatiety of student sports is limited in August. I decided I would not go to the one lesson smth-else-than spinning I could go to this week. Why? One, bc I was on an organising ROLL. Two, bc it was rainy.

So I guess I have to either go spin or "boxing" today, or climb on the good ol' crosstrainer. There is a youtuber that got me to push myself quite a bit last challenge. Was fun.

Boxing is between apostrophes bc I have no idea if it is anything like a boxing lesson. It was quite fun last time I went. But I am just not ready for the rainy weather yet. :p And I kind of want to use the crosstrainer again. Ok, we will see.

Oof, I am totally going to start blowing "rainbows up my bottom" this year with affirmations. I have been a bit apprehensive about using them. (And when you truly feel down, they do not help and might even rub in what all that you lack.) But I think I will be telling myself what a well of potential I am and how the world is an oyster :p

Well, in my own words and in a way that works for me ofc.

I did it for about a week and I am noticing I am starting to tweak my negative self-programming here and there. Having different thoughts, having to fight with negative ones less. It is not major at all but it builds on the self-awareness I have been practicing with my feelings, inner dialogue etc. You start noticing things. I mean, no idea if it will last when I am in the trenches and fewer people have time to meet up (including me).

And, Idk about the Law of Attraction but good things definitely do start to happen when you stop tripping yourself over. So I am curious.

• Like 3

On 8/13/2019 at 1:15 AM, analoggirl said:

Oof, I am totally going to start blowing "rainbows up my bottom" this year with affirmations. I have been a bit apprehensive about using them. (And when you truly feel down, they do not help and might even rub in what all that you lack.) But I think I will be telling myself what a well of potential I am and how the world is an oyster :p

Well, in my own words and in a way that works for me ofc.

Might want to take a minute and do a quick search on toxic positivity. There's a big difference between "don't mope, life is good, you just can't see it!" (that whole rubbing in what you lack thing) and "this sucks, but it will get better. Keep trying/ one step at a time." One of my "affirmations" when I was close to nadir was simply a note taped to the wall that said "you are not worthless." Might not sound earth-shaking, but it's what I needed to see. The rainbows will come with time. :)

On 8/13/2019 at 1:15 AM, analoggirl said:

I did it for about a week and I am noticing I am starting to tweak my negative self-programming here and there. Having different thoughts, having to fight with negative ones less. It is not major at all but it builds on the self-awareness I have been practicing with my feelings, inner dialogue etc. You start noticing things. I mean, no idea if it will last when I am in the trenches and fewer people have time to meet up (including me).

And, Idk about the Law of Attraction but good things definitely do start to happen when you stop tripping yourself over. So I am curious.

One way to find out, eh? Glad to see your work is already paying off. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Might want to take a minute and do a quick search on toxic positivity. There's a big difference between "don't mope, life is good, you just can't see it!" (that whole rubbing in what you lack thing) and "this sucks, but it will get better. Keep trying/ one step at a time." One of my "affirmations" when I was close to nadir was simply a note taped to the wall that said "you are not worthless." Might not sound earth-shaking, but it's what I needed to see. The rainbows will come with time. :)

I guess it depends on the state you are in. It is one to try to impose positivity on yourself... It is another to just find that even "healthy" positivity seems baseless. 

Oh well! I will see the rainbows coming indeed!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 2:10 PM, analoggirl said:

I guess it depends on the state you are in. It is one to try to impose positivity on yourself... It is another to just find that even "healthy" positivity seems baseless. 

Oh well! I will see the rainbows coming indeed!

Yup, fair point. Even a solid foundation takes time to build. How'd the weekend go? See any rainbows? 

On 8/19/2019 at 4:40 PM, Manarelle said:

Yup, fair point. Even a solid foundation takes time to build. How'd the weekend go? See any rainbows? 

Yesss. Had a fun weekend visiting some family friends abroad. 

Yet again totally in vacation mode bc I did not read anything. Did not sport Monday & Tuesday. Did indulge in some consumerism... Should be back on track tomorrow after sleep tonight. Start my morning routine up again. 

Hmmm, the academic is fast approaching and I finally feel it. :p

• Like 3

On 8/9/2019 at 7:11 AM, analoggirl said:

I still have to email the professor and am procrastinating with the thought she might still be on vacation. Might email her or at least write a draft in the train tonight.

Well, a little over 2 weeks later I finally sent the email. Going strong... [/s] Well, it is better than the 5 months I waited to email her the first time around!... [/s] 

All will be okay. I also could have said "OH NO I HAVE LESS THAN TWO WEEKS TO PREPARE THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR!" And left it alone. I will get stronger &more assertive with time :p It is a paradox though that I really, really, respect her and the way she is moving forward, yet procrastinate nevertheless. 

Well. Every second/minute/hour I spend on analysing something I already KNOW about myself instead of DOING, is a minute I cannot get back. Let's go!

(PS- I... will just have to do some youtube video/my bodyweight routine/yoga today. Since I really do not feel like exercising outside of the house these days. Hopefully that will get me motivated to go to the class tomorrow at 10 AM! )

Eating well is going well though! Yay.

And I will really focus on reading some of my materials today.

I spent my mental energy mostly on planning/emailing for a logistic project I have, and planning/emailing about the logistics of my classes next semester.

Spent the morning giving myself a scare, looking for a doc I had already sent to uni. BUT I am starting to feel in control of my time again. 

PS - Oh yeah, I looked up how the points/goldcoins are distributed in Habitica but I do not see any values so I just winged how much my "rewards" will cost. I think that it will be fun for my 'dailies' and undoing 1 bad habit of mindlessly picking my skin when I am in deep thought (really tired of it, and bacteria are dangerous).

• Like 3

I did Zumba yesterday and am overall upping the tenasity I play at with my baby sis. She loves it and I get a spontaneous workout sesh with the best HIIT games coach in town.

Play you're-it, rackets with a plastic ball that we keep missing and having to run and get it, "pushing" each other palms-to-palms which I spice up with squats because she is obviously not big enough to take me yet (just over half my length, AND I am a bit heavier than I should be) (such a strong little 4 y.o. though. Love her fire). Etc.

The Zumba coach commended me I did hip circles in place (adapted) when I got all dizzy a few times with the full moves. Well, I have to adapt if I want to play with that powerhouse haha.

It is so unfair though. I really love rollercoasters and such... for the first 5-10 mins. Then I get nauseous. Wonder if medication for travel sickness would help.

Think I am going to get at least 20, likely 30 pages done for a subject today.

I am really firing myself up for this year. 

I have to get it in my head that I have to believe in myself, and just do. The best way to learn is by doing. Learning to adapt.

And ignoring the thoughts of what other people might be thinking, and mentions of what they say they are thinking. We are all just figuring this life stuff out in our own way, at our own pace.

• Like 2

My next challenges will be something like this:

*meditate (micro-meditations count), affirm and/or have a concentration practice daily.

*do something TRULY and fully relaxing once a week. Lean into it and recharge.

*eat optimally for my body. If I will have to wake up at 4 AM, and go to bed at approx. 8 PM, my "lunch" will be at 10 AM, dinner at 5 PM (around or subtly during classes)

(Currently waking up at 6-7 and having lunch 12-1 PM)

* Work out 2-3 times a week. 1 is good too, but I won't set the bar too low for myself. What use do I have for a degree if I get sick? 

It will be the ultimate training to find my mind/body connection and balance. 

And never forget that - although nothing beats dedication and perspiration - there are also ways to work smarter and not harder. Always be aware of my surroundings and not lose sight of the bigger picture. 

I have some other routines I am setting up, but this is the base I work with. Logging the rest will be more time consuming than actually doing them haha (I have made a list). 

• Like 2