Wobbegong Fasts and Waits for Prey

Wobbegong

My favorite Keto bread so far https://www.ketoconnect.net/keto-mug-bread

I make it in a Pyrex bowl and cut it in half. I normally have it toasted though. Still, too small for a normal sandwich style I feel, but maybe a different container and/or more mix could be adjusted. Never tired figuring out how to do a whole loaf style of this one. :)

9am August 9, 132 hours fasted, 84.8kg, waist 89cm (narrow point 84.5cm). My waist measurement technique definitely leaves something to be desired. Also, although I know the majority of this weight loss is not permanent, I have a perverse desire to maintain my fast until I get down to 81.6. This seemingly-arbitrary number is the highest my scale can read (it's only sensitive to .2kg) that still translates to the 170s in pounds, a number I haven't seen since college. Then again, it would probably mean more to me to get to that number with real fat loss instead of just via water weight, so maybe not. 

For the past two days I've been desiring a cup of coffee at some point between 3 and 5pm, and I've resisted the urge because I rarely drink coffee or tea and am extremely caffeine sensitive. If I drink coffee in the afternoon, I won't sleep until well past midnight. 

But today I went ahead and made a morning brew. Drinking coffee black is neither terribly pleasant nor terribly unpleasant (since I've gone out of my way to stock a coffee I actually enjoy), but it definitely smells good, at least. Of course, it's morning and I'm not particularly hungry or thirsty, so I've been drinking it rather slowly, and the flavor does seem to be getting worse and worse with time (I know espresso shots go bad quickly, but this is just pour over... does it follow the same physics? I'm a little disturbed that as a former barista I don't know the answer). I probably made too much. Oh well! If I don't want it, I don't have to drink it, right? 

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Of course, it's morning and I'm not particularly hungry or thirsty, so I've been drinking it rather slowly, and the flavor does seem to be getting worse and worse with time (I know espresso shots go bad quickly, but this is just pour over... does it follow the same physics? I'm a little disturbed that as a former barista I don't know the answer).

Maybe because it's cooling off? Coffee really only gets bitter if it gets left on a warmer too long as far as I know.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

5 hours ago, Hazard said:

I was fine once I carefully broke the fast.   But no, I wasn't okay during it.  I know that in retrospect.  Toward the end of the week I was feeling mild, but chronic, head pressure (rather like something one might feel during a strong barometer shift).  That was a sign I'd crossed into medically dangerous territory.

Yeah that sounds really scary. I'm glad you made it through and were ok eventually, but... don't do that. To everyone observing this conversation, don't do that. 

One major rule of therapeutic fasting is that if you ever feel actually unwell, you should break your fast immediately. Hunger is fine, and early-stage electrolyte imbalance issues can be solved by taking in some electrolytes without breaking a fast, but nausea, diarrhea, pressure headaches like what Hazard describes, fainting, etc., are all signs of a serious problem. Of course you can use your judgement: I didn't stop fasting because I had a cold, because I had the cold before I started the fast and knew it wasn't related. Last night I felt nauseated before bed, but I had good reason to believe that was a result of the large dose of magnesium and iron I had just taken -- iron in particular always upsets my stomach, so I always take it right before bed and sleep through the side effects. Last night they came on faster than usual, probably because I haven't eaten. But if I had inexplicable nausea, I would eat something right away. 

Yes..... survived......  Of course.

myrtle-18373.gif

On 8/3/2019 at 5:55 AM, Hazard said:

My Muggle name is Chris. I'm a 42 year old semi-retired guy happily at home being the primary caregiver for my 3 yrs old daughter.

I'm on to you! 19-year-old ghosts can't be 42-year-olds with 3-year-old children! Unless your child is a ghost, too. HMMMM 

4 hours ago, Tateman said:

My favorite Keto bread so far https://www.ketoconnect.net/keto-mug-bread

I make it in a Pyrex bowl and cut it in half. I normally have it toasted though. Still, too small for a normal sandwich style I feel, but maybe a different container and/or more mix could be adjusted. Never tired figuring out how to do a whole loaf style of this one. :)

I'm sure you could scale it up and bake it in a loaf pan, but it might take some experimenting to prevent the crust from burning while the center stays eggy... maybe a loaf pan in a water bath? You would probably have to add some baking powder to help it rise, though. 

...Is yeast high-carb? They have to have a supply of sugar to produce the gas that helps bread get fluffy, so they must require some carbs in the batter, but I'm not sure they're carby themselves. Sourdough bread is said to have a low glycemic index like other fermented foods: of course the good fermentation bacteria die when the bread is baked, but they've already consumed a lot of the sugars in the bread. Or so the theory goes. So maybe a keto yeast bread. I may have to experiment with this. 

I don't have any psyllium husk on hand, though, and I purchased so many keto baking ingredients that I eventually stopped using because I went full meat-and-veggies (and then for a time just meat and eggs), so I don't want to buy any more specialty stuff. 

6 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Maybe because it's cooling off? Coffee really only gets bitter if it gets left on a warmer too long as far as I know.

I suspect it is because it's cooling off. It's not getting bitter, more like... acidic? If that makes sense. It's usually a pretty mild brew but it's developing really sharp notes. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

I'm on to you! 19-year-old ghosts can't be 42-year-olds with 3-year-old children! Unless your child is a ghost, too. HMMMM 

In Hazard's defense, the actress playing that ghost was in her 40s.

• Haha 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

...Is yeast high-carb? They have to have a supply of sugar to produce the gas that helps bread get fluffy, so they must require some carbs in the batter, but I'm not sure they're carby themselves. Sourdough bread is said to have a low glycemic index like other fermented foods: of course the good fermentation bacteria die when the bread is baked, but they've already consumed a lot of the sugars in the bread. Or so the theory goes. So maybe a keto yeast bread. I may have to experiment with this. 

I don't have any psyllium husk on hand, though, and I purchased so many keto baking ingredients that I eventually stopped using because I went full meat-and-veggies (and then for a time just meat and eggs), so I don't want to buy any more specialty stuff. 

I have heard of people that use yeast for flavoring, just to give them that yeasty bread taste. I thought about getting some of those packets to try one of these days. I always forget though haha. I think Dr. Berg has a bread that he uses yeast in, and maple syrup. In theory the yeast eats all the sugar, but I don't know how well it works. Never tried it either. https://www.drberg.com/blog/the-healthiest-bread-in-the-world

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Tateman said:

In theory the yeast eats all the sugar, but I don't know how well it works.

Hm. I'm not sure I would count on yeast to eat ALL the sugar. There's an awful lot in maple syrup. Or, you know, wheat flour, which is why sourdough bread is still not keto. But maybe if you gave them plenty of time to rise, they might make significant progress? I guess it's only 2tsp syrup to 2tsp yeast, which would also help. 

I do have yeast packets on hand, and I really need to use them, since their shelf life is not infinite. I bought them to make mosquito traps, but never ended up getting around to it. But things in this recipe I don't have are arrowroot and chia. I could probably substitute flax for chia, but... ehhhh. 

To be honest, keto substitutes for baked goods have never particularly impressed me. I'm impressed that people try so hard to make them good, but... nothing beats the originals. With fasting, I'm looking forward to experimenting with eating predominantly meat and vegetables, and sometimes moderate-to-higher-carb meals, to see how much it affects my rate of success. I had a large high-carb meal about a day before I started on my current fast, and it obviously hasn't been a major issue, but I'm not sure how much tolerance I have there. Especially if, during term, I'm going to be predominantly fasting on a 24 hour cycle, rather than for extended periods. 

• Like 2

Surprise hunger pangs this afternoon! From about 3:30 straight through to now (coming up on 5pm), which is a long time for a hunger wave to last. I am only 28 hours from my goal, so I'm holding steady. 

It's funny, I get really strong carb cravings when I fast longer than a day (not so much when I'm eating keto), but when I actually picture myself demolishing a cheesecake or a bowl of pasta, it's not appetizing. 

...The idea of bao just popped into my head, and I thought, "yeah, that actually does sound good," but then I pictured myself eating them and imagination-me just ate the filling. There's usually carbs in the filling too, Wobbe! Bao are not keto-friendly. But it's cool. I'm planning to come off my fast slowly, with a string cheese or maybe some bone marrow to start, followed by a nice steak when I'm ready for it. Since I haven't spent any money on groceries all week, I feel totally confident about buying a beautiful slab of wagyu. If I'm hungry later, I can have a bowl of pho (there are mystery noodles at the grocery store that advertise NO EGGS NO WHEAT and claim to have only fiber carbs, but I haven't bothered translating the ingredients list so I have no idea what they actually are. Possibly shiratake? But they lack the characteristic fishy smell. They're great. But I will also want to be careful about fiber so soon after fasting, so maybe I'll wait a day or so). 

• Like 4

Forgot my 9pm post again but at least I'm awake tonight. It's less than 24 hours from the end of my seven days. I'm ready to be done with this fast. Hopefully tomorrow goes very quickly and I wake up Sunday feeling fresh, energetic, and ready to eat! At least a small amount. If I can't consume everything I listed in my previous post, that's frankly probably a good thing. 

• Like 4

9am August 10, 156 hours fasted, 83.4kg, waist 94.5cm. 

Today's waist measurement seems like the most accurate so far, because I just got out of the shower and was a little damp, which helped the tape stay in place. On the other hand, I'm weirdly bloated today. I may be low on salt, I'm having a few other electrolyte symptoms. Also one of my ears is really muffled and it's very distracting and obnoxious. 

The shift from 84 to 83 kg marks my transition from obese to overweight, although of course I don't expect it to be a permanent shift in the right direction. Also BMI is stupid, obviously. But healthcare professionals still judge me based on it, so it's good to pay attention just to be prepared for that, and frankly it's nice to have some sort of objective standard against which to measure. 

What else? Today I'm going grocery shopping, since I'll want to have that steak on hand first thing in the morning tomorrow (my seven days end tonight, but I don't want to start eating at 9pm), well before the store opens. I haven't exposed myself to the temptation of the grocery store at all so far this fast, so I'm a little nervous... but hopefully the momentum of over 150 hours, and being so close to my goal, will help propel me safely to the finish line. Wish me luck! 

• Like 1

Trip to the grocery store was absolutely exhausting. 

On the plus side, I didn't buy anything I wasn't supposed to, and French tucking my shirt no longer shows off the belly fat pushing against the front of my pants. 

But seriously can this day be over

• Like 3

9pm August 10 marks a full 168 hours fasted. Seven days. Wow. On the one hand, I'm glad to finally be here, and on the other, it feels odd that it should be over already. 

I started at 89.4kg and am currently checking in at 83.4, which makes a neat six kilograms in seven days. I'm expecting to regain a significant chunk of that pretty soon, but it's still pretty notable. I've definitely changed physically, too, even if I'm bad at measuring. 

There have been a lot of ups and downs over this fasting period. This morning and last night were particularly difficult, until I told myself I needed to stop counting down the hours until it would be over and think about something else. There were times when I thought I would absolutely want to extend this fast for a few more days, and times when I wasn't sure I'd make it to seven.

There have been a lot of food fantasies, too, but surprisingly very few of them have included actual eating: I've thought a lot about cooking and baking, and a lot about making pretty bento boxes, but I rarely picture putting food in my mouth and chewing and swallowing. I've felt hunger pangs at times, but mostly not as strong or as often as I'd've expected for such a long fast. I did not experience the euphoria some people report, but I've never experienced it on keto either, so I'm not that surprised. 

My energy has been pretty stable, but not particularly high. It's high enough to do everything I want to do in a day, but not a lot higher -- I haven't been bouncing off the walls or anything. I did have a few evenings at the beginning where the adrenaline imbalance made getting to sleep a bit difficult, and I had to take a lot of naps, but that evened out pretty quickly. I was also sick at the beginning of the week, which may have affected the need for so much napping. I have had a good boost of focus, though, and made enormous headway on a story idea that's been sitting underdeveloped in my drafts folder for a few years now. I'm pleased about that. 

Right now I feel fine. I'm a little hungry, but mostly sleepy. it's too late to be eating a big meal, and the thought of putting off breaking my fast until morning doesn't seem at all insurmountable. As usual, I feel almost no sense of success or accomplishment, despite knowing objectively that going for so long without food is no easy endeavor. I dunno, at times it definitely felt easy. I still think more people should try it before they assume it's impossible. 

Maybe I'll have more reflections in the morning and maybe not. I'll definitely report back and let you all know exactly how delicious my steak is. 

• Like 7
27 minutes ago, bdwilson said:

Congratulations on finishing your fast! 

Thank you! It's not quite over yet. I forgot to take a good marrow bone out of the freezer and thaw it, and I don't want to eat my other end-of-fast options even though they would definitely be significantly more convenient! Due to this circumstance, I'll probably end up coincidentally ending my fast at around 9... 

This whole time I've been thinking "Why 9?? So arbitrary??" so it's kind of ironic that this should happen. But whatever. 

• Like 3

I feel like I have very little going on this challenge, having dealt with my boss monster in the first week. 

On the other hand, in the past 24 hours my sister broke up with her boyfriend of two years and my best friend's grandfather died, so I've been on call for emotional support. 

In that same 24 hour period, my TV broke and on the advice of the internet I took the back off to see if I could fix it myself. I couldn't do anything, but when I put it back together I had two extra screws and it worked again. I also went and did my first-ever bank transfer through a Japanese ATM. Talk about a high-tension experience, the ATM kept yelling at me to be cautious and that it was going to time out while I tried to read it (there's no English support at my bank for transfers). It's been an adventurous time. 

• Like 6

Ok. I need something to do for this challenge, so I have decided it will be summer cleaning: a digital and fiscal tidying. I fasted, I waited, and I've got some targets to tackle. 

I'll add more structure to this and get a timetable and some deadlines set up to help, but since I did finally deal with my bank transfer situation yesterday I'd like to get going on a few of these other things: 

1. Clean out email inbox(s)
    • This includes my main inbox, filtered out boxes, and also those stupid email accounts that came with my phone -- the most important thing there is to find out if I can automatically mark all those messages as read
  2. Write 10 blog posts before the end of the challenge and post 5 of them to get blog started! UGH
  3. Review budget. Consider how the addition of fasting could affect food budget, and how to allocate newly available Japanese funds once transferred to USD. Also set up a transfer schedule to get those funds moving. 
  4. Tidy up file organization
    • on laptop AND kindle omg

Also, although it's not exactly digital/fiscal, 

1. Brain-to-page project transfer: write down a list of the projects I want to do and my ideas for them
    • Projects can be coding, fiction, exercise, art, etc -- I have a lot! Too many to keep track of
  2. Make a schedule that includes time to work on said project list 
  3. Assess pantry food items
  4. Make a menu plan that includes their use

The overall goal here is to be able to return to the school year with these aspects of my life tidied up and squared away, so I can focus on production and maintenance moving forward rather than catching up/fixing. 

• Like 7
On 8/16/2019 at 8:13 AM, Tateman said:

Glad to hear the fasting went well. I'm doing mine now, but it is seeming to be harder with having to make food for people haha. Will see if I last till tomorrow. :)

I would not have been successful if I was cooking for other people during my fast. My seven days seems (somewhat shockingly) to have cured me, but up until then I had a condition where if there was food in front of my face, I'd eat it. Like a universal law. Since my fast, I've noticed many times when I stop eating something midway through, simply from a loss of interest. That's never happened to me before. Even (especially) if I was not paying attention, I'd usually finish everything, but now... I look up and am like "oh there's half a bowl of [whatever] left. That's weird. When did I stop eating?" 

So I wish you the best with your (now probably completed? unless you're also doing a week) fast, and particularly with making food for others during. You're amazing. 

ETA: Although I have no faith in myself doing what you're doing, I do know it can be done by some people! So please don't take my comment as a vote of no confidence, it was only meant to indicate my awe at your abilities. When I was in high school, I had an obese teacher who embarked on a liquid fast (I think he was still taking in some calories, but not very many) and he would routinely do big barbecues and make huge buckets of pulled pork for his family and then come to school and grump about not being able to eat any of it (but clearly also be pleased that he hadn't). He was super successful and maintained his fast for like a month. 

• Like 4
On 8/27/2019 at 9:56 PM, Rookie said:

-bows down- I have no clue how you people fast lol. I miss breakfast and I feel like I am dying and I am the most sad Rookie.

Also yay  fall spring cleaning!

I've been there. If you want to fast but are struggling to skip a meal, I'd suggest cutting out snacks first and practice mini-fasts from one meal to the next. Once you're good with that, gradually increase your overnight fast (it's easiest since you sleep through most of it anyway) by eating dinner earlier and breakfast later, and eventually cut one of the bracket meals out entirely. I don't think this gets said enough, so I'll say it: if you want to skip a meal, it doesn't have to be breakfast. People seem to think breakfast is the default choice to skip, maybe because mornings are busy anyway? But if you need the fuel to get going, it can really make for a rough start to your day. Skipping dinner might be easier for you. You could even try eating lunch later, or having a late afternoon snack, to disrupt your desire for dinner as you get started. 

Today my first years were practicing question sentences starting with "What." They had previously learned question sentences starting with "Do," so this is the natural level-up. Their target sentence today was "What do you eat for breakfast?" (Building on "Do you eat ___ for breakfast?") Naturally I was asked to model asking and answering this question and when I said "I don't eat breakfast" I was met with a lot of shocked pikachu faces. The teacher gently told me I need to eat breakfast for my health. I should probably have lied to spare us all the trouble. Here at NF, at least, I can defend myself and fasting properly! 

Ever since my health check I've been partying with my carb counts and I didn't fast last weekend at all. But I feel like crap and I'm breaking out, and watching my hard-earned numbers creep back up is so disheartening, so I'm looking forward to getting back into fasting properly. On Friday I have no morning classes, since my Friday morning school is going on a field trip. This means no lunchtime supervision, and thus a perfect opportunity to launch a bit of a longer than usual weekend fast. I also have Monday off, so I'm looking forward to going Thursday lunch to Tuesday lunch for a nice little reset. I will also eat keto properly on Thursday (tomorrow) to prep. 

On 9/10/2019 at 5:23 PM, Waanie said:

Good job on the fasting! How did the fitness test go?

At the time of measurement, I was down eight kilograms, and the nurse was very concerned about it and asked if I had been ill or stressed. I'm still fat, so that was kind of a surprising response. I told her I'm fine and she let it go. My waist measurement was likewise down, about 4cm (it was more but I bloated a bit with the Feldman protocol). The nurse at that station said, "Hmm. You lost weight, too, it looks like? So I guess it's from that." I agreed and she moved on. Neither weight nor waist is yet at my goal, but this is good progress. Also, since I'm from The Land Of Nonsensical Imperial Measurements I have a lot of trouble wrapping my brain around the idea that "eight" is serious progress, but that's like 17+ pounds. (Which is more than a stone! For anyone who lives in The Land Of Even More Nonsensical Imperial Measurements Than America But Only For Human Weight Because Why Not and knows what a stone is.) 

My blood pressure was down from "elevated" to "normal" (although my diastolic didn't change much at all, from 78 last year to 77 this year, and I kind of assume I had a false-high last year because they were using a cuff I had never experienced before and it made me nervous -- I've routinely baffled doctors with my apparently surprisingly good blood pressure). I also apparently grew .1cm and my eyesight improved slightly in one eye. I suspect those can be chalked up to margin of error more than healthy living, lol. 

These metrics are all great and I'm thrilled to be moving in the right direction, but last year the only thing I actually failed was cholesterol, and I won't get those results for a while longer. Even though I tried my best at the Feldman protocol, I don't think I did it properly. Coming from a long period of 5:2 OMAD, it was extremely difficult to eat anywhere near the therapeutic recommendation. I fell short of my caloric goals every day, and slept poorly and felt worn out the whole time. It's not an experience I'm at all keen to repeat. And my cholesterol grade last year was F, so I need to raise it two levels (to C) to avoid a required follow-up. I have no idea if I'll make that cutoff or not -- frankly, I don't even know what the cutoff is. I've probably complained about this before, but my cholesterol is actually really good by the ratio metrics that matter (HDL:triglycerides and HDL:total), it's just that my total is really high, so doctors who go by the old-fashioned "LDL is bad!" benchmark are always displeased with me. So I guess we'll see. 

• Like 2

Glad to hear that your fitness test went well :). As someone from a metric country, 8kg sounds like a significant weight-loss, I think that amount of weight-loss might actually put me from almost overweight to a 6-pack (assuming I'm not losing a lot of water due to diet change). It sounds a bit annoying to be supervised in what you're eating, even if it comes out of concern for your well-being. Lying about your breakfast might be for the best for now :P.

Looking forward to your new challenge!

• Like 1

I've been there. If you want to fast but are struggling to skip a meal, I'd suggest cutting out snacks first and practice mini-fasts from one meal to the next. Once you're good with that, gradually increase your overnight fast (it's easiest since you sleep through most of it anyway) by eating dinner earlier and breakfast later, and eventually cut one of the bracket meals out entirely. I don't think this gets said enough, so I'll say it: if you want to skip a meal, it doesn't have to be breakfast. People seem to think breakfast is the default choice to skip, maybe because mornings are busy anyway? But if you need the fuel to get going, it can really make for a rough start to your day. Skipping dinner might be easier for you. You could even try eating lunch later, or having a late afternoon snack, to disrupt your desire for dinner as you get started. 

That is actually some super sound advice. Riding days I sometimes have a tiny dinner or no dinner. Because quite frankly I am exhausted and usually very thirsty. I am playing around a bit more with smaller meals and I seem to be getting a grasp on when I can handle it. Though when I miscalculate I get a bit headachy haha... ha :( But fasting definitely interests me because I like to eat and if I could be okay just not eating for a chunk and still make progress that would be great and take less pressure off when I do have something bad (not that you can do that all the time).

Today my first years were practicing question sentences starting with "What." They had previously learned question sentences starting with "Do," so this is the natural level-up. Their target sentence today was "What do you eat for breakfast?" (Building on "Do you eat ___ for breakfast?") Naturally I was asked to model asking and answering this question and when I said "I don't eat breakfast" I was met with a lot of shocked pikachu faces. The teacher gently told me I need to eat breakfast for my health. I should probably have lied to spare us all the trouble. Here at NF, at least, I can defend myself and fasting properly! 

Bahaha yah its funny that the "Omg you can't skip breakfast" has been beat into us. In Canada everyone seems to be doing it or knows someone who is doing it. 

Ever since my health check I've been partying with my carb counts and I didn't fast last weekend at all. But I feel like crap and I'm breaking out, and watching my hard-earned numbers creep back up is so disheartening, so I'm looking forward to getting back into fasting properly. On Friday I have no morning classes, since my Friday morning school is going on a field trip. This means no lunchtime supervision, and thus a perfect opportunity to launch a bit of a longer than usual weekend fast. I also have Monday off, so I'm looking forward to going Thursday lunch to Tuesday lunch for a nice little reset. I will also eat keto properly on Thursday (tomorrow) to prep. 

That will be nice! Yay no judgy judgy lol you can do it!

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

On 9/18/2019 at 10:33 PM, Waanie said:

Glad to hear that your fitness test went well :). As someone from a metric country, 8kg sounds like a significant weight-loss, I think that amount of weight-loss might actually put me from almost overweight to a 6-pack (assuming I'm not losing a lot of water due to diet change). It sounds a bit annoying to be supervised in what you're eating, even if it comes out of concern for your well-being. Lying about your breakfast might be for the best for now :P.

For me 8kg takes me from obese to still obese (but I'm two kilos away from overweight! Woo!) so it doesn't feel like much of a difference. But it's still motion in the right direction. 

I am consistently annoyed by how much oversight there is into what I'm eating and how much and when, but there's really not much I can do about it, so I'm learning to just roll with it. It's frustrating, but I'm making progress anyway, and it's good for me to practice being assertive anyway. 

On 9/18/2019 at 10:33 PM, Waanie said:

Looking forward to your new challenge!

:/ I guess I should make one. I wasn't really planning on it this time around, but I suppose I might as well make a challenge anyway. 

On 9/19/2019 at 3:57 AM, Rookie said:

That is actually some super sound advice. Riding days I sometimes have a tiny dinner or no dinner. Because quite frankly I am exhausted and usually very thirsty. I am playing around a bit more with smaller meals and I seem to be getting a grasp on when I can handle it. Though when I miscalculate I get a bit headachy haha... ha :( But fasting definitely interests me because I like to eat and if I could be okay just not eating for a chunk and still make progress that would be great and take less pressure off when I do have something bad (not that you can do that all the time).

I definitely do it like that pretty frequently lol. It's better to stick to your ideal healthy eating goals always, but then again, I kind of apply Steve's exercise philosophy to diet as well: the best one is the one you'll stick to. After a year of trying, I know I won't stick to keto for the rest of my life. Fasting, on the other hand, I can do anytime. And eating right makes me feel right, so I'd want to do that in general anyway... but sometimes a girl just needs a donut or a slice of banana bread or some goddamn pasta! It's much easier for me to focus on eating right in general when eating right doesn't feel like a prison. 

Bahaha yah its funny that the "Omg you can't skip breakfast" has been beat into us. In Canada everyone seems to be doing it or knows someone who is doing it. 

People here seem to have accepted the concept of "you must eat regularly or you'll die" around here. The idea that I might be skipping breakfast is shocking enough, but the idea of skipping more than one meal a day, or fasting for 24 hours straight, is met with horrified concern. But one person has confided in me that she doesn't eat breakfast. In the States it's a lot more common to see people who skip a meal somewhere in the day. Then again, Japan has had more than a few cases of people dropping dead from exhaustion after working long hours and forgetting to eat or sleep, so... they may have more reason to be concerned. 

That will be nice! Yay no judgy judgy lol you can do it!

Yes! It's definitely refreshing! 

• Like 4
On 9/10/2019 at 5:23 PM, Waanie said:

How did the fitness test go?

I just got my results, so I thought I'd check in. I'll start a new challenge with the next round, too... sorry for being so off the radar. 

I already discussed my blood pressure, height, and vision (went from 127/78 to 115/77, from 167.8cm to 167.9cm, and from right 1.5 left 1.2 to both 1.2 -- I believe that's a Japanese scale and the ideal is 1? But it doesn't seem to account for any difference between near- or far-sightedness, which seems odd to me). 

So the main features of my hard copy results were the blood and urine test info. To recap, I took my first battery of tests last year about a week after starting keto. The second round happened back in September, after a year of on-and-off keto (mostly on!) and a few other health experiments. In an effort to lower my cholesterol, I attempted the Feldman Protocol, but wasn't able to eat nearly as much as suggested. 

Metric categories tested were: Blood (red blood cell count, white blood cell count, hemoglobin level, hematocrit value, MCV, MCH, MCHC); Diabetes (fasting blood sugar, HbA1c, blood sugar, and urine sugar, although my blood sugar field is blank, so I guess it wasn't tested -- maybe they do that one if you didn't fast?); Liver (AST, ALT, y-GT, LAP, Bilirubin, Total Protein, and A/G Ratio; I have no idea what any of these mean and should probably look into them, but since they all came back normal hopefully that means I don't have liver disease); Uric Acid (its own section on the results, for whatever reason); and the dreaded Lipid panel (HDL, LDL, and triglycerides). 

Overall, I did well on all of the tested metrics last year and they almost all decreased this year (exceptions were fasting blood sugar and A/G ratio. The blood sugar was expected and again I have no idea what A/G ratio is about, but it's apparently still in the correct zone, so I'll roll with it). It's actually probably not great that my red blood cell count decreased? I should get back to my iron supplement. It's still in the healthy zone, though, and decreased only from 483 to 452 10^4/μl, still pretty much in the middle of the reference range. More interestingly, my white blood cell count decreased a lot, from 5100 to 3800 μl, which puts me down at the low end of the reference range. I have no idea if that's down to lowered inflammation, a sneaky virus, or something else. 

One other interesting metric was my HbA1c. It didn't change at all, remaining at 4.8%. I'm a little surprised by the lack of change, since I went from "not modulating carb intake at all" to "swinging between very-low-carb and previous eating standards," so I'd think it would either decrease from less total sugar or increase from larger swings, but I guess not. 

I failed the lipid panel. Again. But my cholesterol is way better this year, so I'm actually really happy with it, and just annoyed I have to go back to the doctor and pay him to lecture me about metabolic syndrome. The follow-up test is scheduled for December 11th, so I'm doing my best to lose as much weight as possible before then to see if that helps. My sister is my height exactly but an ideal weight, and told me recently that her LDL is actually lower than her HDL. #lifegoals 

Last year, I had LDL 209, HDL 81, and Tris 78. Tris lower than HDL! That was great. I only failed on the LDL test, and I wasn't worried about it at all. 

This year, my LDL was down to 185. Not a huge drop, but better than nothing, right? And this technically means I dropped from "very high" to "high," so that's nice. Still an F grade, but nice. My HDL was also down, but only slightly, to 78. And my triglycerides were down to 37! That's so low, it's off the low end of the Japanese spectrum, so I got dinged with a B for that! I couldn't be happier, lol. 

I will see if I can figure out how to ask the doctor for the more in-depth lipid panel, which tests the size of LDL particles. I suspect mine are the large fluffy kind, not the small dense and dangerous ones, but it would be nice to know. It's possible that they don't offer it here, in which case I'll see if I can get one when I return to the States for Christmas, just for peace of mind. 

Anyway, thanks for cheering for me! Here's to continued improvement. 

• Like 3