• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Food 4:

Porridge

My first go-to meal is porridge. I normally eat this in the morning (when I have the time to make it), but I sometimes have it for dinner as well if my parents haven't had time to make food.

Ingredients

- Water

- Oats

- 1 apple

- Some raisins

- Cinnamon

I start by adding 1 cup (I've just chosen the smallest cup I had in my cabinet for measuring) of oats and 2.5 cups of water in a pot. I turn on the stove.

I cut the apple into small bites, before adding it into the porridge. I then wait till the porridge begins to get a thicker texture. This should take a couple of minutes or so after you've added the apple.

I finish the meal by adding some raisins, sometimes nuts or seeds as well, and cinnamon.

Bibimbap

Bibimbap is definitely my favourite dish that I can make myself (and might even be my favourite dish overall). It's a Korean rice dish which tastes amazing. You can add other vegetables to the recipe than the ones I've listed here, these are just what we usually use.

Ingredients

- 1 or 2 eggs per person

- Rice

- Carrots, cut into matchsticks

- Broccoli, cut into bite-size bits

- Sweet chilli sauce

- Chilli

- Olive oil

- 1 clove garlic, minced

- Onion

The amount of each ingredient depends a lot on what you like, but try to at least cover the rice in the different ingredients when serving. The seasoning is also totally up to you, but I usually only season the rice and the carrots.

Start by boiling some water in a pot on the stove and add the rice.

While the rice is boiling, cut the onion into slices, and add that along with some oil and the minced garlic into a wok pot (or just a normal pot if you don't have that). Turn the stove on and let it cook until the onion becomes translucent. Put the onions in a bowl.

You can now start cooking the carrots. Make sure the pot has enough oil, and let it cook for a couple of minutes or until the carrots start turning soft. You can then set these aside in a bowl as well.

Add the broccoli to the pot and cook it in the same way as the carrots. Set these aside.

By now (or maybe earlier) the rice should be finished cooking. Add some to a plate.

For cooking the eggs, I usually cook them in butter, but you can cook them in oil as well. I cook them on both sides so that the inside of the egg is hard.

For serving the dish, place the rice at the bottom of a plate, add vegetables as you like on top, add some of the sweet chilli sauce and some small slices of chilli if you like, and then finish with the egg on top.

Pita

Probably the easiest meal to make, since it doesn't include much cooking - and it still tastes great.

Ingredients

- Pita bread

- Minced beef (I use some vegetarian replacement instead because I don't eat meat)

- Seasoning for the meat

- Cheese

- Vegetables of your choice

Cook the minced beef like you normally would and add the seasoning. Put this in a bowl.

Chop all the vegetables and some cheese, so they'll be easy to place inside your pita bread.

Heat up the bread.

And that's about it. When we make pita, we normally just keep all of the different vegetables separated so everyone can choose for themselves what they want to eat. This works really well in a family of five where we all like different things.

• Like 4

What did you do?

I completed Food 4: Share the recipes for three of your go-to staple meals. If you do not have any, find three that could work for you and post their recipes along with an explanation of why they would suit your lifestyle.

What is your experience with it? Did you enjoy it? Was it easy or hard?

I found it quite challenging. I don't cook too often, so I had to find some dishes that I've actually made, or that I'm pretty sure I could make myself. Posting the recipes made the challenge harder though because I have no idea of how much I use of each ingredient.

Would you incorporate it in a future challenge, or otherwise do it again later? Why or why not?

I probably wouldn't. I didn't dislike it, it was just really time-consuming to make sure everything fit together properly.

• Like 3

What did you do?

I completed Exercise 1: Do 5 burpees or 5 sprints. If you cannot do either of these exercises, walk at a brisk pace for 5 minutes. I did 5 burpees.

I found this one pretty easy. I kinda like burpees, even though they're pretty hard.

Would you incorporate it in a future challenge, or otherwise do it again later? Why or why not?

I probably wouldn't include it in a future challenge, but I'll certainly do burpees again. I just don't feel like 5 burpees are that challenging for me, so I don't see the point for me to include it in a future challenge.

• Like 3

Food 4:

Steak and eggs

I was quietly carnivore for a few months and this became a go-to; depending on how much you add to it, prep-to-eating can take anywhere from eight minutes to half an hour. I typically rub my steaks down in salt, pepper, and ground sage on both sides before frying them in butter. Cook time depends on the thickness of the steak, heat of the pan, and desired doneness. I prefer medium-rare to rare, but I have so little experience with steak I'm happy if I can end up somewhere between "nice sear but honestly that's blue" and medium (which thankfully I usually can lol). 

Eggs can be done any way you like 'em. I usually go poached if I've got the time or scrambled with cheese if I'm looking to add a little extra fat. 

If you are not eating carnivore, as I no longer am, this meal pairs well with any vegetable side imaginable (I often do steamed broccoli or butter zucchini with garlic these days, but asparagus or a side salad would do nicely too), and if you are not aiming for low-carb I highly recommend a lovely side of mashed potatoes, skin-on: wash potatoes thoroughly, cut into approximately uniform chunks, boil until soft (check with a fork), drain, mash, add cream, butter, salt and pepper to taste, and optional garlic, and serve. 

Simple Blue Salad

I make this one for lunch all the time, as it keeps well. Just dark leafy greens (I prefer arugula but it's tough to come by here, so baby spinach, kale, or even a red lettuce would be fine), red onion, and crumbled blue cheese. I often cut my salad greens into bite-sized strips instead of tearing them, simply because it's faster for me. I typically serve this salad with a simple balsamic vinaigrette (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt) and sometimes toss in an egg or two, poached, soft-, or hard-boiled. 

Thai Curry

This one is a bit more time-consuming only because of all the vegetable prep involved, but it's so delicious and versatile I love it. I often make largeish batches and eat leftovers throughout the week. 

You will need:

2 cups assorted vegetables of your choice, cut into bite-sized pieces (recommend: Chinese or Japanese eggplant, zucchini, broccoli, red bell pepper, snow peas, mushrooms, green peas)

100-200g meat or protein of your choice, cut into bite-sized pieces (recommend: chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, fish, tofu)

1 can coconut milk

1 white or brown onion, chopped

2 - 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced (or, you know... more. I usually use like six.)

1" piece of ginger, sliced, skin on or off (or... you know... more... lol)

Thai curry paste

Fish sauce

oil of your choice (I use coconut because it blends really well with the coconut milk, obviously)

juice of one lime

Optional: add bamboo shoots. I don't count them against my 2 cups of veggies rule. Add with fast-cooking veggies in step 3. 

Optionalserve over rice or rice noodles

And for garnishcilantro, chopped; sweet Thai basil

Also, a large frying pan or wok to cook in

Instructions: 

1. Heat approx 2 tbsp oil in frying pan. Add onion and stir. When onion begins to turn translucent, add garlic and ginger, stirring again. When garlic is fragrant, add vegetables, starting with those that take longer to cook and working towards those that cook faster (broccoli first, then eggplant and bell pepper, then squash, etc). Withhold any vegetables that cook very quickly or that "cook down" significantly, such as peas and mushrooms. You may need additional oil. 

2. When vegetables have begun to soften but are not yet fully cooked, add curry paste. Stir to coat, and continue to cook for two minutes. Then add coconut milk and bring to simmer. Stir well to ensure curry paste doesn't clump and is fully incorporated into milk. Finally, add vegetables that cook down (mushrooms, leafy greens if you're using them??). 

3. When vegetables are nearly ready, add meat, quick-cooking vegetables, and a good big squirt of fish sauce. 

4. Leave it to simmer. Take a minute to breathe while the meat cooks, prep your garnish if you're using it, take a gulp of water. We're almost done. 

5. When the vegetables are cooked to your taste, turn off the heat, add lime juice and garnish, and serve over rice, noodles*, or plain. 

*If you are going the noodle route, you can go ahead and stir your cooked noodles into the finished curry. No need to keep everything separate. 

• Like 2

What did you do?

I completed Food 4: Share the recipes for three of your go-to staple meals. If you do not have any, find three that could work for you and post their recipes along with an explanation of why they would suit your lifestyle.

It was really tough to think of staple meals, because I tend to cook one thing over and over for a while and then move on to the next thing... and the next... and the next. So I have a lot of recipes in my arsenal but not many that I return to again and again. Also a bunch of things I grew up with and consider comfort staples are carby and I generally don't eat them much anymore, so it seemed disingenuous to put them down. 

Like a recipe a day challenge, maybe? That might be really fun actually. It sounds like a good way to share what I'm doing with others and make a record for myself. So... yeah, I guess I would! It wouldn't exactly be food staples, but some patterns could definitely emerge. Might be interesting to also tie it into a meal planning element just to see how well I actually stick to my plans... 

• Like 4

What did you do?

I completed Life 1: Shop in your own wardrobe: wear a piece of clothing or a combination of clothes you have not worn for a while.

This was pretty easy. I tend to lean towards the same combinations, so there were lots of different combinations I could try.

I'll probably try to do it again - maybe I find something that just works together.

• Like 3

Questions for the Judges:

1. I finished a couple tasks on Sunday, but didn't have time to write them up; can I still count them for last week?

2. If I can count them, on Food two, I made a pasta dish substituting Zoodles, and I made a breaded chicken dish, but used keto breading, can I count that or does it have to be a veggie sub instead of a low carb sub?

This week:

Food 3: I have bulletproof coffee (butter, MCT oil, splenda) as a breakfast replacement, does that count, or would I have to give that up for two days?

Food 4: Most of my cooking is out of a cookbook, would there be copyright issues with me sharing the recipes out of it?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Whisper said:

Questions for the Judges:

Judge here! *raises hand* 

1. I finished a couple tasks on Sunday, but didn't have time to write them up; can I still count them for last week?

2. If I can count them, on Food two, I made a pasta dish substituting Zoodles, and I made a breaded chicken dish, but used keto breading, can I count that or does it have to be a veggie sub instead of a low carb sub?

1. Absolutely! Go for it. 

2. It's fine by me! I think it fits the spirit of the dare if not the specific terms, so again I say go for it. 

This week:

Food 3: I have bulletproof coffee (butter, MCT oil, splenda) as a breakfast replacement, does that count, or would I have to give that up for two days?

Food 4: Most of my cooking is out of a cookbook, would there be copyright issues with me sharing the recipes out of it?

F3: I'm going to have to defer this one to the other judges, particularly @Waanie. I can see where you're coming from, but since the terms include milk I'm not sure if the spirit of this dare speaks to breaking free of high calorie drinks/desserts masquerading as beverages (in which case BPC would be a no-go) or breaking free of unhealthy drinks (in which case I think BPC could get a pass). 

F4: Since you're not reposting them in order to earn money or acclaim from someone else's work, and you're not posting the cookbook in full (I hope), I doubt there would be an issue, but you could always cite your source if you're concerned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What did you do? 

M5:  Go 24 hours without push notifications, work-related messages outside of work hours, and time-wasting websites (facebook, reddit, etc. -- use your discretion to determine what websites are non-beneficial timesinks for you). Then do it again once more this week for a total of 48 hours unplugged.   

So, I don't get much in the way off work emails, don't have push notifications, don't use Facebook or reddit, and frequently spend most of the weekend offline, so this was really easy for me. I find being around people that do get a lot of notifications on their phones to be really stressful, so have chosen not to inflict that on myself.

I think I'll keep to my normal on this. 

What did you do? 

Mindfulness 3: Do a 25-minute guided bodyscan (see linked video for details)

I tried this as I was going to sleep last night, and found it a good way to relax. I take sleep meds, and sometimes have trouble finding the balance with them between tired enough to sleep, and stupid enough that I want to keep doing stuff. This was a good balance as it was something to be doing while the meds kicked in, but also relaxing enough that I could sleep while it finished itself out. 

I like bodyscans for sleeping, but don't know how to balance them with my "phone and laptop off and in a different room" sleep rule. I would be open to exploring solutions to that, and would also be open to other medications.

What did you do? 

Food 2: Cook and eat a vegetable alternative for a high-carb ingredient twice this week.

I made Zoodles with Creamy Red Pepper Sauce and Cheesy Broccoli-Stuffed Chicken (with Keto breading)

Spoiler

20190811_190102.thumb.jpg.1b122787aeeb0f3e99631488d566d937.jpg20190811_190056.thumb.jpg.9835b38dfeea291aeb4c2fb8b50a3a6e.jpg

With the exception of Zoodles, I'm not a big fan of replacing carbs with veggies. I'm fine with eating veggies, just not with trying to pretend that they are something else. Most of the time I would rather just make something that doesn't have the carb, and trying to replace it. Chicken with Cauliflower? Wonderful! Chicken with cauli-rice? Gross.

Most of what I cook for myself is low carb, and I'm going to keep doing that.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Whisper said:

I find being around people that do get a lot of notifications on their phones to be really stressful, so have chosen not to inflict that on myself.

Good for you! I'm guilty of visiting time sink sites, although it's mostly only a problem when I'm bored at work. Aside from that, I'm with you on the unnecessary stress of being constantly on-call. Why invite that into your life? 

13 minutes ago, Whisper said:

I like bodyscans for sleeping, but don't know how to balance them with my "phone and laptop off and in a different room" sleep rule.

Do you have a CD player or iPod or something like that? You could load up a bodyscan into one of those. I dunno if that violates the "phone and laptop off and away" rule or not... it's electronics, but they don't have to be internet capable, so I guess it depends on your situation. Just spitballing! 

15 minutes ago, Whisper said:

With the exception of Zoodles, I'm not a big fan of replacing carbs with veggies. I'm fine with eating veggies, just not with trying to pretend that they are something else. Most of the time I would rather just make something that doesn't have the carb

Mood. I've had ok success with caulirice ONLY in dishes where it's covered by a sauce or cooked-in flavor, like a jambalaya or Spanish rice situation. If it's supposed to be standing in for white rice, it's a no-go, and same with most carb-replacement breads. I get why people try, but it just doesn't work for me in most cases. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Whisper said:

@Wobbegong The spirit of this particular dare is to give up our high calorie drinks. To not rely on drinks for calories. You may drink water or coffee and tea black.

For this dare drinks that are forbidden include bulletproof coffee, juice, soda, smoothies, meal replacements.

If you don't like plain water you may add lemon or some herbal infusions (essentially unsweetened tea). 

If this doesn't sound like something you want to do, you do not have to do it. The point of this mini-challenge is not to complete all the things but to try a few things that might speak to you. :)  And it is totally okay to complete tasks from areas that are not aligned with your focus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Wobbegong No problem :)

I am loving everyones recipes they are sharing! I definitely see a few I am going to need to try. 

3 staples in my household are...

- Chicken Fajitas

- Tacos

- Hamburgers

1. Chicken Fajitas (The amount I make makes about 8 fajitas give or take?)

- 2 bell peppers sliced (you can use 2 different colours if you want)

- 1/2 onion diced

- 5 chicken breasts cut into slices 

- garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder

- salt and pepper to taste

- optional: 1/4 cup favourite bbq sauce

- optional: cayenne or red pepper flakes if you like spicy

- 10" tortillas 

Toppings:

- diced tomato

- shredded lettuce

- sour cream

- shredded cheese

- salsa

Instructions: 

- heat some oil in a pan (about 1-2 tbsp on medium heat)

- add onions and cook until translucent

- add chicken and stir

- once chicken is mostly cooked add your peppers andseasonings* (add sooner if you like more cooked peppers, add later if you like crispier)

- While peppers are cooking I get ready my toppings (dice tomato, shred lettuce and cheese)

- once chicken is 100% cooked add your sauce if you are using it and salt + pepper

- remove from heat 

- put your tortillas in the microwave on a plate for 5 seconds to heat them up

- put some of your fajita mix on, and your favourite toppings in the middle of your tortilla

- wrap it up!  (I fold up the bottom to the center, then fold left side then right side over) 

* I tend to just add equal dashes of garlic, onion and chili powder and taste it. Maybe try 1/2 a tbsp at first and stir it up real well

2. Tacos

- 1 package of ground beef

- 1/4 onion diced

- 1-2 cloves of garlic minced

- Worcestershire sauce 

- red pepper flake (optional)

- chili, cumin, onion, garlic powders

- small tortillas

- guacamole*

- diced tomato

- sour cream

- salsa

- shredded cheese

Instructions

- heat 1-2 tbsp oil in pan (medium heat)

- add garlic and cook until it starts to just turn golden then add in onion and mix

- once onions translucent add in ground beef
- once ground beef cooked, drain out fat and put beef back in pan

- add equal dashes of chili powder, cumin powder, onion powder and garlic powder (1/2tbsp each ish)

- couple squires of worcestershire sauce + salt & pepper to taste

- (optional) add red pepper flakes 

- let it simmer for a minute or two then take off heat

- On half ... add a smear of sour cream and dollop of guac, sprinkle some diced tomato and shredded cheese

- on same half add some ground beef and fold over the other side (im sure there are better ways.. this is just how i do it) 

Bonus guac recipe:

- 2 big avocados or 3 small diced/cubed (should feel soft to squish.. but not too soft)

- 1/4 onion diced

- 1-2 cloves garlic minced

- 2-3 squirts of lime juice or juice from 1/2 real lime

- preferably some diced up fresh cilantro 

- 1 dash garlic powder + 1 dash onion powder + 1 sprinkle paprika powder

- salt + pepper

Instructions

- Add everything to a bowl and smash with fork until you like the consistency

- Start out light on the seasonings and add as needed

3. Hamburgers (not gonna lie I usually just use frozen BUT I want to do fresh more and this is my recipe)

- 2 packages of ground beef (you do not want lean.. if you can only find lean then do 1 beef, 1 ground pork)

-  1 egg

- 1/2 diced onion

- 1 clove diced garlic

- handful or two of chopped up fresh parsley

- few dashes of Worcestershire sauce

- salt + pepper

- 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs.. add more if needed

Instructions

- throw raw beef in a bowl

- dice / cut everything and throw that in the bowl too

- crack your egg in a cup (dont want any shells) and scramble it with a fork.. then in the bowl

- add your seasonings and worcestershire sauce

- lastly add your bread crumbs 

- smash it all together with your hands... You don't want to over mix it though... once its mixed its mixed.

- take out about 1/2 lb of meat and roll it in your hands until its a ball then smoosh it into a patty about 1/2 inch thick. Doesn't really matter if its exact but you want to try and keep them all the same size and thickness.  Remember they will get a bit fatter and shrink in diameter. 

- put on some parchment paper and do the next until you run out of meat mixture.. if you run out of room and need to stack your patties then add another parchment layer between them. You can also freeze them like this :)

- BBQ them until internal temp reaches 160-165F (I try to only flip them twice)

• Like 4

What did you do? 

Food 4Share the recipes for three of your go-to staple meals. 

I love sharing and receiving recipes so it was easy and I enjoyed it. 

A way I might incorporate this into a future challenge is to try out and find more staple meals I can rotate. 

• Like 3

Scale 1 - No anxiety, 10 - full on attack    
Rating Thing What I currently do How I want to behave
8 Thinking about or actually jumping my horse. I tend to overthink and start freaking out, then I stop actively riding and rely on my horse to make all the decisions which makes things worse. Basically brain shuts off and goes into panic mode Be able to stay calm, continue making decisions and commit to them.
7 Doing an exercise with horse that I have some PTSD with (trot poles or cavalettis where there are 2 possible directions after) These are generally very challenging for me and I make a lot of mistakes or Daisy does and that flares my anxiety. I tend to get frusterated, grumpy and want to give up. Smile/laugh if I make a mistake and try again. Not take it too seriously. To keep breathing through it and trust my coach and horse.
9 Being in a situation where you are the center of attention and you do a thing. I tend to avoid these situations like the plague or do it and secretly freak out until I feel dizzy/lightheaded and sick... Have confidence, say yes to trying the thing and give it my all.
2 Talking to people on the phone I have to make a little script or write down points if I am calling someone. I get butterflies Speak confidentally and not need a script
9 Confronting people / Being in confrontational situations I try to avoid these currently.. even if I know the person is wrong. If I do need to be in them I tend to stumble over my words and sound like an idiot and can't deliver my point Speak confidentally and stand up for my opinion or people. Not be afraid to speak up for what I believe in
8 Dealing with angry people I tend to get overly defensive and make the situation worse. Or just avoid them all together... Which can also make it worse Be able to communicate without getting my hackles up and either help calm the person or stand up for myself without stroking the flames or getting angry myself.
6 Having to park in a busy city if I have people watching / Driving in a big busy city I am unfamiliar with I get nervous and make dumb mistakes then get very embarressed, frusterated and angry Breath, make good decisions and if I make a mistake realize its okay.

What did you do? 

Mindfulness 2: Anxiety thermometer 

It was hard because who wants to bring up all the anxieties but it was good too. I have been practicing self reflection lately and trying to come up with ways I can cope better or improve myself.

Yes, for sure. How can I move forward with my life and improve as a person if I am not willing to reflect on my weaknesses or things that might be holding me back. There are a lot of things that I have self healed that didn't make the list so it was good to reflect back on. I used to be terrified to drive at all and I used to be terrified to even sit on a horse. I would also refuse to even call people and now that is rated as a 2. :)  It is like a progress picture for my brain and mentality... something I can look back on and see how I have improved.

• Like 4

What did you do?

I completed Food 5: Cut out processed sugar for 24 hours. This includes honey, jam, raw sugar, and any type of syrup. Bacon and other foods with very little sugar are okay. Homemade, unsweetened fruit puree and unsweetened smoothies are also okay.

It should be noted that I'm writing this just before going to bed and that the challenge will first be completed when I wake up, but I won't have time to write a post tomorrow morning since it's the first day of school, so I'm writing it now instead - I hope that's okay!

I did find this kind of hard. My sister made cake earlier today that I had to say no to and I also usually use sugar on my breakfast. However, I did enjoy it a lot, it made me feel kind of proud to not eat any processed sugar during these last 24 hours.

I would definitely incorporate this in a future challenge. I don't really have the self-control to just do it normally, but I'm really competitive when it comes to things like this (or anything else really).

• Like 3

Made the dessert.

I call it the 'icecream' because it's a bit like that. Recipe in progress, this time was too acidic.

2 avocado

2 tbs cocoa powder (100% cocoa)

1 tbs coconut butter (maybe more?)

Juice of a lemon (an orange might be sweeter)

I added also some blueberries, but won't reccommend. Maybe a peach?

Blend all together.

Keep refrigerated

7294df135ac44104e8dcbfaca85fccde.jpg

Other go-to recipes:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10035/golden-veggie-shepherds-pie (with cauliflower mash sometimes: cauliflower, red cheddar, spices, tad of butter optional. Blend together) pro tip: it reheats well in microwave suggest to put in in container upside down (mash at the bottom) and turn it on the plate. All colleagues will ask you about it!

https://powerhungry.com/2017/11/easy-chickpea-flour-pie-crust-grainfree-glutenfree/ with spinach an ricotta filling

I like this crust not because gluten free but because my brain considers it 'bready' while it's proteic

• Like 5

What did you do?

I completed Food 3: Drink only water, coffee, and tea without milk or sugar for 48 hours.

This was a pretty easy challenge for me. I normally try to only drink water (though apple juice is my weakness), and I really like black coffee.

I probably wouldn't incorporate this in a future challenge, but I would probably do something where I only drink water for 48 hours as this is more suited for me and me and my goals.

• Like 2

What did you do?

I completed Mindfulness 1: Take 10 deep breaths twice a day two days in a row.

It was nice to just take a bit of time to just take some deep breaths and calm down. I used this to try to calm my anxiety during class today, and it actually helped, so I would say that I enjoyed it. It wasn't hard either.

I will definitely try to incorporate this into my daily life as this really helped with my anxiety.

• Like 3

On 8/11/2019 at 11:26 PM, Wobbegong said:

Food 3: Drink only water, coffee, and tea without milk or sugar for 48 hours. 

Food 5: Cut out processed sugar for 24 hours. This includes honey, jam, raw sugar, and any type of syrup. Bacon and other foods with very little sugar are okay. Homemade, unsweetened fruit puree and unsweetened smoothies are also okay. 

These went together for me as I tend to use sweetened fake milk in my coffee, and not much else.  Well, maybe my evening cookie.  So, black coffee, no cookies, I survived. 

Don't think I'll intentionally do this often, given my already limited sources of calorie laden drinks and processed stuff.  That's weekend food.

Mindfulness 1: Take 10 deep breaths twice a day two days in a row. 

Oh, oxygen, how I love thee.  Feels like a nice reset.  May work this in as needed on hectic days

Life 1: Shop in your own wardrobe: wear a piece of clothing or combination of clothes you have not worn for a while. 

Hadn't worn my summer work skirts this year.  Thanks for the reminder.  Done and several more to cycle through.

Exercise 1: Do 5 burpees or 5 sprints. If you cannot do either of these exercises, walk at a brisk pace for 5 minutes. 

Brisk pace is my life with dog as my trainer.  If it isn't a brisk walk, it's sprinting up hills, because apparently short legs find it easier to run up hills.

And this is for my foreseeable future, hopefully 10+years

• Like 4

Yay, food based dares, this is my jam!

I'm going to cheat and just recycle the mignongs recipe:

On 8/8/2019 at 8:34 AM, Lateral Planet said:

Lateral Planet's chicken mignons (dinner in an hour)

Per person: 1 chicken thigh fillet (skinless), 1 rasher middle bacon, 3 small potatoes (whole, unpeeled), salad veggies, herbs (marjoram, basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, etc)

Preheat oven to 200C/400F and line two trays with baking paper or aluminium foil (to save washing up)

00:00 – Stab each potato a few times with a fork and put them in a clean plastic bag. Pour in a glug of oil and make sure they're all well coated, then empty the bag out onto a tray. Stick the tray in the oven.

00:05 – Lay the bacon out on a chopping board, and lay the chicken out on the meaty part of the bacon. Put a dollop of butter on the chicken, then sprinkle with garlic granules and herbs. Wrap that bad boy up (use a metal skewer to keep it wrapped) and stand it upright on a tray.

00:15 – Stick the mignons in the oven and go relax for half an hour.

00:45 – Get the potato tray out of the oven and squish each potato down with a spatula. Drizzle with a little more oil, then sprinkle with salt, pepper and herbs, then stick it back in the oven.

00:50 – Slice up your salad veggies and maybe some crumbly Tasmanian cheddar if you're feeling posh.

01:00 – It's ready! Plate up and eat up :D:D

Another fave is veal saltimbocca, which is basically a really posh variation on the theme of meat wrapped in meat:

1) Take a meat mallet to a slice of veal so it's nice and flat. Lay the veal down on a slice or two of proscuitto and sprinkle with sage, pepper and whatever other herbs you like. Wrap up the veal with the proscuitto (might have to fold it) and use the mallet to flatten it again.

2) Heat up a frying pan to medium with a glug of oil and a knob of butter. Dab your saltimbocca in flour and pop it in the frying pan til it's nicely browned and a little crispy, then flip it over.

3) Add a splash each of chicken stock and white wine to the frying pan. Sprinkle the saltimbocca with some more herbs. When it's done, plate up and drizzle some of the sauce on top. Serve with roasted potatoes and salad. Yum yum!

I also make a lot of curries, but mostly I just cut up some chicken, brown it and then pour in a jar of curry sauce. If I feel like putting in some effort, I'll make this lamb kofte korma:

https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/lamb-kofta-meatballs-curry-sauce/07d26640-e521-4679-8be0-e35141ce0a9a

• Like 5

Scale 1 - No anxiety, 10 - full on attack    
Rating Thing What I currently do How I want to behave
9 Raising my hand in class (even if I know the answer to something), and sometimes even just thinking about it. I normally go into full panic. I almost feel like I'll cry and my hands tremble a lot. Alarm bells are going on in my head, saying things like 'what if you're wrong'. So I tend to just avoid raising my hand altogether. I would love to just be able to stay calm, but I think before that I just have to keep on raising my hand until my brain realizes it isn't actually that dangerous.
8 Going to the free weights section of the gym or thinking about it. I avoid this as much as possible. Actually, I've never been in the free weights section, but just the thought of it makes me anxious. Just go for it. It's just the gym, other people don't really care what you do or how you do it.
10 Confronting people about problems. I. Hate. This. I panic, cry probably and end up not getting the right thing out. Have confidence, tell people what I really think, cause otherwise, how should they know?
4 Talking to people (who aren't my parents) on the phone. I get really anxious beforehand, but the longer the conversation is, the more comfortable I start to feel. But I don't call anyone if I can get away with it. Speak confidently without a trembling voice and be able to call whoever I want or find necessary.
7 Talking with people I don't know. This used to make me panic, but I think it's gotten a lot better. I still get immensely nervous beforehand, and as I talk with them my hands just keep trembling. I'm scared to say anything wrong, to make them not like me (even though I might never meet them again). Be confident in what I have to say. No one is going to hate you without you doing something bad, and even if they do, I probably won't meet them again.
3 Paying in a store. I get my money ready like 10 minutes before I actually have to use them, count them like 7 times so that I'm sure I have the right amount. And then when it's finally my turn I end up doing something wrong anyways. When paying with a card I always get anxious whether it gets denied because there isn't any more money on it.  Just pay normally. Other people don't really care that I say a wrong word or that I take a second too long.
7 Exams. I get nervous during nervous, ofc. But, I'm still nervous hours after I finished my exam and it makes me unable to focus on anything else. Breathe, go in there with an intention to do my best and speak confidently.
  • Like 4

What did you do?

I completed Mindfulness 2: Make an anxiety thermometer. make a list of all (social) situations that make you anxious, and score how anxious they make you. For each situation, describe how you would like to behave. It does not have to be social anxiety only. If you have no anxiety at all, CONGRATULATIONS! You're in an enviable position, but a side effect is that this dare is not going to be on your list. For those of you who do complete this dare, you do not have to post your list.

It was hard listing everything I get anxious about, just the thought of it makes me kind of anxious. But I think it's an important thing to try to practice as self-reflection is great, and I would love to minimize my anxiety.

I definitely would. I would love to see the progress from this one to the next time I try it.

• Like 2

@Diadhuit Oh no why are you so nervous? :( Is it to do with your move?

===

What did you do?

Life 1: Shop your own wardrobe

> I chose a shirt I haven't worn in a really long time because its a bit more formal than I am used to and also I thought it had a stain on it.

Life 2: Spend 15 minutes cleaning something you haven't cleaned in awhile 

> I cleaned/organized my tack locker at the barn (top and inside).  I also separated out stuff I know I won't use and put it in the barn storage. 

L1: I don't do this often. I tend to get into a daily clothing rotation and if I forget to do laundry then I look for other things to wear. I did enjoy it until I realized there is in fact a stain on the shirt lol. The dare I found easy.

L2: I wasn't really doing it before because I shared it with my horses owner but she left for university and took her saddle, bridle and helmet away.  I really enjoyed it because now everything is organized. I do have the medical shelf to finish and the black storage bin to clean (it got moldy inside). But yah I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was pretty easy though made me tired before my ride.

L1: Probably not as a challenge but I will probably end up mixing my wardrobe up a bit more since I just went through and purged a bunch of it. So in theory I should only have clothes I want to wear left.

L2: Yes and I usually do on my todo list. I like the feeling of having an organized area and there are so many areas that just kind of get dumped on and not organized.

• Like 1