• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

[mention=63447]Diadhuit[/mention] Oh no why are you so nervous?  Is it to do with your move?

On my stressor list right now:

Work is the busiest time of the year

My boss is asking me to interview someone with 30 mins training, and I have never done this before

I've asked to move team and it's not happening, might have to job hunt.

THE move (right now I live in two places)

THE works in the house (plumber is not giving me a starting date, argh!)

I'm having some public speaking nightmares as I haven't my talk prepared yet (conference countdown just above a month)

Oh, and I started dating, because that's a stress relief!

But 99% is my own making, and I will manage, right?

• Like 4

What did you do?

I completed Exercise 2: Try a class or type of exercise you haven't done for at least 10 years. Classes can be in-person, online, following along on youtube, etc. I took an online taekwondo class, and as if that wasn't enough I also tried a lot of new machines/exercises when I went to the gym with my mom this evening. I've never tried any of these things before, so this dare should definitely be covered xD

What is your experience with it? Did you enjoy it? Was it easy or hard?

I found it pretty easy and really enjoyable. I have long wanted to try taekwondo and today when my PE class got cancelled, I decided now was the time. And it was really fun! I followed along with an online class.

Would you incorporate it in a future challenge, or otherwise do it again later? Why or why not?

I think it would be a great thing to incorporate as it's always exciting to try out new stuff.

• Like 2

What did you do?

I completed Food 3: Drink only water, coffee, and tea without milk or sugar for 48 hours.

This was very easy, I usually only drink water and tea (mostly tea). I did make a conscious choice to not drink some alcohol on Tuesday evening, which I usually do 1-3 times per week.

Would you incorporate it in a future challenge, or otherwise do it again later? Why or why not?

I might at some point incorporate a "no alcohol" challenge if I want to get serious about losing weight, but otherwise this is not my focus.

• Like 2

What did you do?

Food 2: Make a dish with an ingredient you've never used before, and post a picture. We have a "mushroom guy" at our local farmer's market.  I took this suggestion and tried a new one, Chestnut mushrooms.

Life 2: Spend at least 15 minutes cleaning something you rarely clean.  Refrigerator is clean and sparkly.

F2:  I'm not doing a picture with sautéed mushrooms.  They just aren't that attractive.  They were tasty with steak and onions.  I love trying knew foods.

IMG_1320.thumb.JPG.b72f5807a58eef1b521ea1800f8f88df.JPG

L2: It was a pain in the butt, but a thing that I'd been putting off.  

F2:  I'll definitely keep trying new foods. 

L2:  Oh, most things are cleaned eventually, so this will happen again

• Like 4

Heck, yeah!  This is the one that I'm loving.

Food 4

I've started meal prepping breakfast and lunch.

Breakfast has been oatmeal chicken/turkey muffins/mini-loafs/casserole- depending on my mood.

about 1lb ground meat

1.5 cups oatmeal

1+ cup chopped kale/spinach

1/2 cup ground flaxseed

1 cup milk of choice - more if you feel it's needed

5 eggs

1teaspoon salt, if desired

then I season for variety:

for Turmeric and Sausage:

https://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-breakfast-sausage-patties-100408  this plus about 2 tablespoons turmeric.  Sometimes I almost double the herbs.

for blueberry:

1 tablespoon dried sage

1tablespoon dried thyme

1 tablespoon onion powder- I like savory meets sweet

2 cups frozen blueberries

Mix all that together.  Divide into muffin tins (I make 12 usually), or mini loaves, or all in a glass dish (lined with parchment paper makes easy clean up).

Cook about 30 -45 min at 350F, or until toothpick/knife comes out clean.

They freeze well.

Lunch has been variations of meat and lentil/beans with rice and a variety of seasonings, plus "hidden" veg, ie kale/spinach/mushrooms/onions etc

https://www.food.com/recipe/mexican-grilled-chicken-484420  I always reduce salt

https://www.culinaryhill.com/chipotle-black-beans-copycat/ If I feel like doing the work

if not then beans plus http://www.wherethecookiesare.com/2013/04/10/diy-taco-seasoning-old-el-paso-style/

Or  I wanted something to use the fantastic tomatoes that are in now, so Tabbouleh inspired lentils and rice;  this is my starting point  https://www.mydarlingvegan.com/mediterranean-rice-lentils/

• Like 4

What did you do?

No sugar for 24 hours

Well it was tricky in the sense that it took me three days to get around to it, but once I picked a day and actually paid attention to the goal it went pretty smoothly. Also I had no access to sugary stuff at work, which helped.

I've been slowly weaning myself off sugar for years now, and I'm not done yet! I don't want to go without altogether, but a whole day without sugar every now and then couldn't hurt.

I'm also halfway through the 48 hours without sugary drinks, I'll update on that tomorrow!

And I tidied up the spare room, AKA random wedding junk storage room. Things have been accumulating for months in a very haphazard way, and now I can see more of the floor and find stuff I'm looking for much more easily!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

On my stressor list right now:

Work is the busiest time of the year

My boss is asking me to interview someone with 30 mins training, and I have never done this before

I've asked to move team and it's not happening, might have to job hunt.

THE move (right now I live in two places)

THE works in the house (plumber is not giving me a starting date, argh!)

I'm having some public speaking nightmares as I haven't my talk prepared yet (conference countdown just above a month)

Oh, and I started dating, because that's a stress relief! emoji36.png

But 99% is my own making, and I will manage, right?

That is a lot! But I wouldn't say 99% of that is your own making. I think it was a good call for you to add in your challenge to do something that makes you happy because with all those stressors it is easy to remember your own happiness. 

• Like 1

What did you do?

Exercise 2: Try a class or exercise you haven't tried in at least ten years.

I did Windshield Wipers today in my workout

https://darebee.com/hive/daily-dares/594494-dd-16-july-2019-20-windshield-wipers

Never done them before that I can ever recall

They were harder for sure. I only made it to 7 before I quit out. My legs were not the straightest, but the most uncomfortable part was rolling on my back on the floor.

This or something similar I could add in easy enough I think. It is kind of fun finding a new exercise to throw in there. For this specific one, I would plan better to do it on a softer surface. Then my back might be ok with it haha.

Quick question for the group. I am going to attempt a longer fast. I stated later last night, so I figured I would fast out today, maybe even tomorrow. Would that count towards Food 3 and 5? I was planning on just doing water even if I wasn't fasting. If not, then I will just get it in afterwards :)

• Like 3

3 go to dishes for me.

#1 - 90 second mug bread from Keto Connect.

https://www.ketoconnect.net/keto-mug-bread

I have a rubbermaid dish on my kitchen counter filled with the dry ingredients. Whenever I need a bread, I just melt some butter, add in the mix, then add in a egg. Microwave for 90 seconds and you have bread. Keto bread ;) What I like about it, is that it is super quick. Plus, I can use it in so many ways. I can toast it with my breakfast food and it reminds me of an english muffin sort of. Or even just toast. If I am feeling the need for something sweet, I can just add in some sweetener with some cocoa power or something, and bam you have a cake. Sometimes I will toss in cheese and some other seasonings to make it like red lobster biscuits.

#2 - Chicken with Marinara and mozzarella cheese

I'll often precook chicken breasts. Sometimes I will add on some Rao's homemade Marinara sauce, then add on Mozzarella cheese over the top. Heat it up to melt the cheese. Then just add on a side salad or some veggies.

#3 - Ham and Cheese Omelet

I eat this a lot. I use two eggs, plus add in egg whites to provide a bit more. I start off with making bacon in the pan. Once the bacon is done, I add in my eggs, plus I use Uncured Canadian Bacon chopped up, along with Jarlsberg swiss cheese. Cook all that in the bacon grease. Once it is done, I will pull it off, then usually toast the mug bread from #1 in the left over bacon grease, plus add in some kerrygold butter.

#4 - Cheese Crust Pizza

I'll add in a 4th in case #1 doesn't count. I take a 8-10 inch pan, and fill it with some cheese. I usually use Mozzarella and a Colby Jack blend from Costco as the base. Combined cheese total of about 140 grams or so. I take out a small amount to add on as topping later. I then add in seasonings Red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and some Parm cheese.

Start heating that on a medium high heat. #7 on my stove. I take a spatula around the edges to help make it a circle as the cheese is melting. I use a non stick pan, so at some point the cheese base will start to move around. I turn the heat down to 5 (medium low) Right around this time, I add on the sauce, and pepperonis with the extra bit of cheese on top. Add in whatever toppings you want. Keep moving the pan around. The cheese on bottom will be dark, and you will think you are burning it, but all is good. This will make it crispy. You can take it too long and burn it, so you kinda just have to get the feel of when it is done. Slide it out of the pan (I usually use paper towels for it to rest on). Give it a couple of minutes to cool down, then slice it up to eat.

Simple stuff, but pretty quick and easy.

What did you do?

Food 4: Share the recipes of 3 of your go to staple dishes

Mine are nowhere near some complicated or anything, but simple for me is good.

Hmm, maybe this could work in the future. I have posted in the past of recipes or whatever I have made. May be time to do that again.

• Like 3

What did you do?

I completed Life 2: Spend at least 15 minutes cleaning something you rarely clean. Ex. microwaves, drains, porch/balcony, etc. My mom and I ended up cleaning our freezer yesterday, but I forgot to write about it. I've never cleaned a freezer before, so I guess this counts towards the challenge of something I rarely clean.

It was really fun actually since I had my mom to help me. It wasn't too hard either and didn't take more than half an hour.

I might incorporate it in a challenge. My parents sometimes tell me they would really like me to help around the house some more, so if I could do things like this whenever I have time, that would be great.

5 hours ago, Tateman said:

Quick question for the group. I am going to attempt a longer fast. I stated later last night, so I figured I would fast out today, maybe even tomorrow. Would that count towards Food 3 and 5? I was planning on just doing water even if I wasn't fasting. If not, then I will just get it in afterwards :)

I would think it would count; but I'm not a judge in this

What did you do?

Exercise 2: Try a class or exercise you haven't tried in at least ten years.

I stole @Tateman's idea and did "Windshield Wipers" for the first time.

Made it to 7 and had to stop for a minute before finishing. Could not get my legs at all straight, and wasn't going all that far side to side.

It is good to try new things, or revisit old ones.  Not sure about as a challenge itself, but maybe.

• Like 2

What did you do?

Life 2: Spend 15 minutes cleaning something you haven't cleaned in a while.

Cleaned up bathroom. Stored away a bunch of stuff that isn't mine and his been down there longer than me.

It felt good to get the space more sorted and clean again.

I'm trying to maintain a habit of spending at least a little bit of time cleaning/sorting every day, so hopefully as I progress in this, there won't be many places I "haven't cleaned in a while."

• Like 1

Go to recipes.

I'm experimenting a lot with food right now, batch cooking different things for my lunches, trying to find things that are fairly easy/quick to make, keep well, and I don't get sick of too fast. Don't have too many "go tos" yet, but I'm working on it. Most of my cooking right now is out of Keto for Life

One thing I do make often is Spicy Shrimp-Stuffed Avocados. I normally make a half batch, leave out the cilantro (gross) and use two small avocados rather than a large one.

1 pound large shrimp, cooked, peeled, tails removed

1/3 cup mayo

2 Tbsp Sriracha

1 Tsp chopped fresh cilantro (if you like that sort of thing)

1 Tsp lime juice

2 large ripe Hass avocados

Chop up the shrimp, mix in everything but the avocados, chill for 10 minutes. It keeps for a couple days in the fridge. Add it to the avocado when ready to eat, I normally add the avocado in, rather than "stuffing" them.

334 cals, 29g fat, 15g pro, 8g carb, 5g fiber for 1/2 avocado and 1/4 of the shrimp

I also like the Pork Chili Verde out of the same book

2 lbs boneless pork shoulder

1 tsp kosher salt

1/4 tsp ground black pepper

2 tbsp avocado oil

1/2 cup chopped onion

2 tbsp chopped jalapeno peppers

1 tbsp ground coriander

1 tbsp ground cumin

1 tbsp minced garlic

1 cup filtered water

1 cup salsa verde

1. Cut port into bite-sized pieces, season with salt and pepper.

2. Heat oil in dutch oven over high heat, add the pork and cook until browned, about 8 min

3. Reduce heat to med, add onions, jalapeno and spices, cook 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.

4. Add water and salsa verde to pot, stir well, scraping any browned bits off the bottom. Over and simmer on low for 1 hour.

8 servings

261 cals, 17g fat, 2g pro, 3g carbs, 0.5g fiber. I normally batch it up as 4 servings, not 8...

I haven't tried it yet, but if this Keto Clam Chowder works out, it'll definitely be a goto come winter!

What did you do?

Food 4: Share the recipes of 3 of your go-to staple dishes.

It has been a lot of fun seeing everyone's recipes and getting ideas; happy to add my own.

Sure!

• Like 3

Hmm.... let's see.....

Food 2: Make a dish with an ingredient you've never used before, and post a picture. 

I've actually never made broccolini before. I simply sauteed with a bit of butter and chopped garlic and topped with a small pinch of kosher salt. SO YUMMY!

dee1b4a4ff4721e6e6f00cfedcf51155.jpg

Food 4: 

3 Go To Recipes..... Chili, Cuban Black Beans and Turkey Meatloaf - all stuff I've mentioned in my thread this week (with a few pictures) - the Black Beans are ALSO shown above! I do - also happen to have a Recipe Thread in the Recipe Forum - which I haven't reviewed\posted to in quite a while.....

Athaclena's Chili

2 lbs ground beef (or turkey)

3 T Dried, minced onion

4 T Chili Powder

2 tsp Cumin

1 tsp Garlic Powder

2 tsp Cinnamon (my secret ingredient - you're just going to have to TRUST me)

2 cans Fire Roasted Tomatoes

1/2 can of water (use a tomato can)

2 T Mesa Flour

1 can Kidney Beans (drained\rinsed)

Brown your ground meat. In the mean time combine all of the spices and the canned tomatoes and water and blend (I use a stick blender, but you could use a REAL blender) - set aside. Once meat is browned, add the Mesa Flour and cook for about 1 minute. Add the blended spice\tomato mixture and Kidney Beans. Allow to SLOW simmer for 30 - 60 min (I use my Ninja Cooker and once I get the entire mixture to simmer, pop it to Slow Cook - High for about an hour while I cook rice). You can eat it alone, over rice\pasta. Top with cheese and\or sour cream. This is MILD - so if you want it spicier, you can add a bit of cayenne pepper or hot sauce to taste.

Athaclena's Cuban Black Beans - Instant Pot method

1 lb Dried Black Beans (about 2 c. - I buy in bulk)

2 slices bacon, chopped (or if you want vegan, sub in 1 T olive oil)

1 onion, chopped 

5 cloves garlic, chopped

2 tsp cumin

As many bay leaves as you can stand - start with 6 - I use 10-12 LOL

32 oz\4 c.. Chicken Broth  - 1 regular "box" - I use an organic one when I buy, or make my own

Soak your beans overnight (or cook in 4 c. water in IP for 2 minutes and let sit for 1+ hours). Drain and Rinse well and set aside. Saute bacon until crispy and you've rendered off the fat (or use oil and proceed with next step if keeping it vegan). Add onions and garlic and cook\sweat until tender - about 2 - 3 minutes. Add a few splashes of the stock and scrape up the yummy browned bacon bits. Throw in the bay leaves and give a stir for a few seconds. Add back the beans and stock. Pop the top on and cook under pressure using the manual setting for 1 hour. Yes. You read that right. ONE HOUR. This is how you get that semi-thick, black "sauce" from the beans really breaking down and releasing their starch. Serve over rice - or however you like to eat your beans. Just don't eat the Bay Leaves LOL.

Turkey Meatloaf

1/4 cup quinoa

1/2 cup chicken broth

1 cup onion, chopped (or 1 tbs minced onion)

2 large clove garlic, chopped

1.5 - 2 lb extra lean ground turkey

1 tbsp tomato paste

1 tbsp hot pepper sauce

2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1 tbsp grainy Dijon mustard

1 large egg

1/2 tsp sea salt

1 tsp black pepper

1/4 cup  BBQ sauce

In a small bowl, add the quinoa and chicken broth. In a microwave, cook on high for 1 minute, 20 minutes on 30% power. Allow to cool a bit before using. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Put the onion   & garlic in a microwave-safe casserole with a couple of ounces of chicken broth and cook on medium for 5 minutes until the onion has softened and turned translucent. The objective is to cook off a lot of the moisture. Don't worry about whether it is fully cooked. Allow to cool. Combine everything except the BBQ Sause in a large bowl and mix until well combined. The mixture will be very moist. Shape into a 9" x 4" loaf in a large pan (e.g., 9" x 9") or foil lined baking tray. Do NOT use a loaf pan. As the turkey cooks it will give off a lot of moisture. We need someplace for that moisture to go. Otherwise, the turkey will steam in its juice and be very soft and fall apart easily. Brush BBQ Sauce liberally over the surface of the meatloaf. I use a remote thermometer and cook until 165 deg (about 50 min).

What did you do?

Food 2: Make a dish with an ingredient you've never used before, and post a picture. 
Food 4: Share the recipes of 3 of your go-to staple dishes.

I've been trying to experiment with new veggies. I HAPPENED to pick up something new this week LOL. I love to cook - so food challenges, as long as I have time to plan for them are easy :) I also love seeing new recipes and sharing mine. To the point where when I'm FINALLY in a house with a decent kitchen, I want to stream cooking......

Absolutely!

• Like 4

Quick question for the group. I am going to attempt a longer fast. I stated later last night, so I figured I would fast out today, maybe even tomorrow. Would that count towards Food 3 and 5? I was planning on just doing water even if I wasn't fasting. If not, then I will just get it in afterwards

I was wondering the same... Fast can be dangerous for people with some medical conditions, I would say full fast if you can, eat normally but only drink water if you can't?

What do the judges say?
  • Like 1

What did you do?

No liquid calories for 48 hours

Not really easy; I've become accustomed to having a coke zero if I want a sweet drink so this was an adjustment. Also I was given a cuppa at the hairdresser but I made sure to forgo the milk and sugar even thought it wasn't as nice.

Again, I prefer moderation to outright rejection of sugar. In this challenge I'm limiting how much coke I can have and also being super strict about sugary tea.

Also, I don't know if this is healthy enough to count, but I made a pear, blackberry and strawberry crumble. True, it's mostly fruit, but there's also a cup of sugar and half a cup of choc chips in it: https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/blackberry-pear-white-chocolate-crumble-july-issue/18ed7473-ab48-405d-acc0-20661b2024a2

• Like 2

My healthy dessert. 

I hated up some slices of peaches (I think I used 4-5 in total) in a wok with 1tsp of butter, dash of cinnamon and 1tbsp of brown sugar. And just heated it until they got mooshy and syrupy. 

Then I put them into 2 small casserole dishes.

Then I mixed 1tbsp brown sugar to 1 cup of steel oats and a pinch of salt. Added those to my hot pan that had some syrup still in it. And toasted them up in 2tsp of butter. Then adding 1tbsp of water until they started to clump a bit. Put those on top of the posted and put them in the oven for a bit. 

The granola is a bit soft lol a crumble was my inspiration. I would probably figure out how to make crunchy granola and put that on top next time. And I think a bit of lemon juice would of helped of the peaches

20190817_155809.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/16/2019 at 3:52 AM, Diadhuit said:

I was wondering the same... Fast can be dangerous for people with some medical conditions, I would say full fast if you can, eat normally but only drink water if you can't?

What do the judges say?

@Tateman Re:fasting for food 3&5 ... I would say it counts

• Like 3

On 8/5/2019 at 11:32 PM, Wobbegong said:

Welcome! It is not too late, we're just getting started! 

And to anyone else who wants to join in, feel free to do so anytime! 

Sounds like fun, if it’s not too late I’ll be joining too, it’s always good to have a push to try new things.

Excited to see if any would be good to incorporate into a regular routine after trying them! 

• Like 4

What did you do?

I completed Food 2: Make a dish with an ingredient you've never used before and post a picture. I made something with cauliflower for the first time.

I think it was pretty fun to try. I don't really cook usually, so finding something I'd never used before wasn't really that hard. However, I do find it hard to find time to cook - made this while also preparing lunches for the week.

I probably wouldn't incorporate it in a challenge as long as I still go to school and live at home - but I'll definitely have to cook no matter what in the future. Might as well try something new then.

• Like 1

What did you do?

I completed Food 1: Make a healthy dessert. I made some fruit ice cream.

It was pretty enjoyable and not too hard. It didn't take that much time (or, there was a lot of waiting for it to cool down), so that was nice.

I probably won't, but that's just because I don't really crave desserts. I do enjoy them once in a while, but that's mostly just because it's nice to be with my family while we eat it.

Knocking out Food 1 and 2 in one shot ;)

I made Keto Connect's No Bake Cookies https://www.ketoconnect.net/keto-no-bake-cookies/

Then I made a second batch and use Coconut Butter instead of Peanut butter. I never tried using that in anything yet.

They are in the freezer now to set, so I will have to taste them later. I am thinking they will be very good.

• Like 5

On 8/17/2019 at 5:44 PM, porkkchop said:

Sounds like fun, if it’s not too late I’ll be joining too, it’s always good to have a push to try new things.

Excited to see if any would be good to incorporate into a regular routine after trying them! 

Definitely not too late :)

• Like 2