Raging in games

I play a mobile game, "Clash Royale" and I feel like I'm honestly addicted to it in a bad way.  I get so angry when I lose that I've broken things, hurt myself, gotten angry with my family, just very negative behavior.  I know it's just a game, I have a wonderful family, with a wife and two kids, but I can't get past this anger. 

I feel like it's partly how the game was supposed to be made. I have my conspiracy theories about psychological tricks game companies do to keep you playing and get you to spend money, and I feel like I'm angry more than I'm having fun, but I can't stop playing.

How can I keep myself from getting so angry?  What mental tricks can I do to try and actually have fun?

I would say uninstall the game.  Yes, you can. 

Think of it this way: your willpower points refresh daily, but they are limited.  Do you really want to waste them on a stupid little app?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

On 8/4/2019 at 1:09 PM, Raincloak said:

I would say uninstall the game.  Yes, you can. 

I've done this a couple times in my life... specifically after making a mistake IRL (like dropping my cup of coffee) made me think "load last saved game" instead of "sop up the mess". 

As far as just not getting angry, that takes practice. Notice when you're getting there. You get to choose your reactions, and slowing things down when you see yourself going that direction so that you have time to observe yourself, your feelings, your triggers, and grounding yourself in reality (it's a game, not real life, there are things that matter more, like family) is a good practice. And maybe don't practice with the game, in the beginning... 

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

On 8/4/2019 at 5:19 AM, Warehouse 24 said:

How can I keep myself from getting so angry?  What mental tricks can I do to try and actually have fun?

Sorry to chime in a week later, but I just saw this. I agree with the others that you don't need mental tricks, you need to uninstall the game. If you only get angry with this game, replace it with a different one. If you tend to get unusually angry with other games, or at other times, consider getting professional help. 

On 8/4/2019 at 5:19 AM, Warehouse 24 said:

I get so angry when I lose that I've broken things, hurt myself, gotten angry with my family, just very negative behavior.

This is really worrying. I think you should treat this as a mental health emergency, to be honest. Hurting yourself is truly a serious problem, and so is breaking things out of anger in front of your wife and children. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru