• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gemma

Gemma Gets Up

Last challenge period coincided with a rough patch in my life. Lot's of 'little' stressors came together to build a Stress Boss Monster, and I felt just like the warrior in the bottom left corner of this pic: 

tenor.gif?itemid=13369283

We fall down - we get up. That's what Warriors do, right?  

Even though I have good reason to expect August to be less nutso than July was (I'm way less overscheduled) I do have some residual effects hanging around and a few big events to deal with during this challenge period, so I am keeping my expectations as realistic as I can manage. 

One Goal. ONE.

Get Up. Literally. 

I covet a Turkish Get-up. I have never successfully done one. I have a pretty decent Half Get-Up, but it all comes apart for me in the last transition - I am unsteady (therefore unsafe) going from kneeling to standing. 

0f695011bb73dd03e3da78c1e41a2d26

It kinda makes sense  - my very worstest, weakestest, and most despised exercises are all of the one-legged leg moves. Lunges and split squats are anathema. Bulgarian Split Squats make me wish I was having a root canal instead. But if I want to be able to get from kneeling to standing up, with enough stability to do it safely while loaded, then the time has come for me to take those hated one-legged exercises and make them a priority. 

Pass/fail - by the end of this challenge, I want to be able to do a full TGU with at least a 5# KB (the lightest my gym has). I will have to be very confident in my movements unweighted before I try this. At least two sources I have read recommend balancing a shoe on the top of the closed fist when doing it without weight, to give obvious feedback about whether you are really keeping the arm straight up and down. 

No loot this time, because I have a lot of stuff and don't need more  (a.k.a. none of my wants reach a level of "worth it" at present.) But if I have a Turkish Get-Up, then ... I'll have a Turkish Get-UP!!! <internally squeee-ing> 

If I do it, I'll post a vid. 

It probably won't be this impressive, but I've decided to go ahead and be impressed with myself anyways. 

Details - 

I have three weeks of 'back to normal routine' and then I will be on travel again for the last challenge week. For the weeks of normal gym routine, I'm doing a super-stupid-simple A/B pattern, three workouts/week:

Workout A:

Front squats

OHP

Lat pulldown

Split Squats 

Workout B:

RDL

Bench

BB Row

Lunge

My right shoulder and right knee are both feeling middleaged and creaky, so:  VERY light weights, medium-high reps, at least starting off. The Split Squats and Lunges I am starting with bodyweight. I really really suck at these.  If it gets easyish and the ol' joints feel okay I'll add poundage for sure! 

When I leave for Virginia, I'll be in a hotel for a whole week and I historically go into those situations with Big Plans that I don't execute, so that is where I will need some super duper Warrior accountability action, because I totally can do pushups and split squats and other BW stuff in a hotel room, but I usually don't. 

• Like 6

Yay, I'm glad you're back! We are single-leg-hating twins. I have no idea why I hate them so much, but clearly the barbell back squat is not addressing those weaknesses. I feel like you can definitely do a 5kg TGU, you will achieve this for sure. The get up with an entire human on one's forearm is also pretty cool, but might take another challenge or two. 

• Like 1

Lesson learned in Week One - my RIGHT leg is the problem. I can split squat and/or lunge relatively pain-free (I still don't like it, but it doesn't hurt) with my left leg forward. With my right leg forward, my right glute cries, whimpers, moans, and complains. Not in that "ouch ouch ouch you are tearing something and must stop!!!" way, but in that whimpery "waaah, I dont wanna this is harrrrrrd" way. 

Also my right glute is the most sorest part of all of me, all week long. Yep, my butt hurts. I am officially butthurt. 

This is information that goes in the information pile - it changes nothing, and I'm still doing what I'm doing - it just means that I maybe might get that TGU straight on one side before I get it on the other. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

This is information that goes in the information pile - it changes nothing, and I'm still doing what I'm doing - it just means that I maybe might get that TGU straight on one side before I get it on the other. 

Excellent information to help keep track of progress!! Data points yo. Good stuff. Something to pay attention to as you progress through your TGs!

Three recent developments impacting my TGU (all positive):

1. I finished reading Simple and Sinister. Pavel does come off as an offensive, self-absorbed jerk in his writings, but not nearly so offensive as Rippetoe, and the information is all very good stuff. I now feel like I have a much better understanding of the whys and wherefores of the movements, and when I get the TGU thing down right I will probably work with S&S programming for a while. 
  2. As a result of the aforementioned reading, I tried prying goblet squats in my warm-up today. My hips and their dysfunctional SI joint have not felt this good in years. Where have these been all my life? 
  3. I signed up for this: 

I found this on short notice (it is this weekend!) and it is further travel than I prefer and not exactly in my budget, so I had talked myself out of it. But then I talked through it with hubs and frankly there is not going to be another chance to learn this directly from a highly qualified professional again for who knows when. There are very few certified (by a reputable agency that I know something about, e.g. DragonDoor or StrongFirst) kettlebell instructors in North Carolina, none of them are anywhere near my little backwater, so I would have to travel for quality personal instruction anyways - OR just keep trying to learn everything from YouTube videos and how to kettlebell books.  We moved some budget line items around  so I can afford the seminar and a hotel room the night before, because I'm not interested in waking up at ???a.m. and driving 3.5-4 hours before taking an all day strength seminar. 

• Like 5

Just  jumping in to say yay TGU"s . I feel like they are magic. They helped so much with my overhead stability  and also leg balance. Double yay for the prying goblet squat.

The kettlebell course sounds good. You must report back with all the secrets: how to use kettlebells as a weapon in melee, how to throw them for ranged attacks, how to use them as counterweights in strange mechanical contraptions, etc. 

• Like 3