• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedStone

RedStone Punches Trees & Survives the Night

The move is done! I have rezzed in my new location, and it's time to start building new. I need new tools to navigate my routine, and we all know that the first step to surviving the first night is to punch dem trees!

ZVItbW.gif

I'm not EXACTLY starting from scratch here, but getting back into a routine is my primary goal for this month and will require redefining what that looks like.

There's plenty of unpacking to do and lots of distractions around the house, so I'll be employing a strict "unpacking" versus "working" schedule that I detailed with my coach. I'm also going to take advantage of the awesomeness of living RIGHT IN TOWN OMG OMG and walk to the coffee shops for focused work time.

What's worked so far is detailing a to-do list broken down by week, mid month, and end of month goals. I think it would be helpful for me to print this list out and put it up on the fridge or whatever so I can see it. 

Additionally, the last 2 weeks of the move have been extremely physically taxing, so lifting has been nil (except, you know. All the box and stuff lifting). But I have a beautiful new studio right in my home that I need to break in/get used to using.

FOR THE CHALLENGE!

Adages for this week:

-I want to get into a morning routine, as well as a lifty situation. I want to get into the habit of using the new space. I will use the new space twice this week for both, and report back here on that when I do. 

-Print out my schedule and follow it!

-Finish watching Brook Castillo's lecture on the urge jar

• Like 10

52 minutes ago, RedStone said:

The move is done! I have rezzed in my new location, and it's time to start building new. I need new tools to navigate my routine, and we all know that the first step to surviving the first night is to punch dem trees!

Yes. Punching trees seems like a prudent choice. Going to coffee shops to work sounds nice, because working from home can be distracting. So when you say studio, do you mean a space for weightlifting equipment? Do you have barbells and a rack?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedStone said:

What's worked so far is detailing a to-do list broken down by week, mid month, and end of month goals. I think it would be helpful for me to print this list out and put it up on the fridge or whatever so I can see it. 

Solid idea! I'm glad you live in town again so you can do all the urban rangering ;) 

2 hours ago, RedStone said:

I want tog et into the habit of using the new space. I will use the new space twice this week for both, and report back here on that when I do

I like it!  What are you thinking  you'll do in your new space this week? 

Also, following! Also... TREE PUNCHING! Woot!

Image result for punching trees gif

Wolf

• Like 1

So when you say studio, do you mean a space for weightlifting equipment? Do you have barbells and a rack?

The biggest "bedroom" in the new house is in the basement, and we are using it for my businesses - it's big enough to handle both Kung Fu classes and training stuff :) I'm mostly a dumbbell girl, but I have my eye on a few half racks I'll eventually put where the bench is so I can have more options.

Here is a little tour! The wooden trunk is a tool for Kung Fu that will be mounted to the wall probably in September when my guys from Brooklyn come up to visit, and the other (darker in the photo) closet it just out in the hallway, and where I keep my bands, paralettes, pullup bar and other awkward odds and ends that I don't want cluttering up the place :D 

This week I'm putting a mount on the wall near the closet for TRX and banded hi/low work, and got a few nice ceramic glazed pots to re-pot that aloe and a few jades for that windowsill. It's very peaceful :love_heart:

aOOnO44l.jpg

DztJnyIl.jpg

JoqehQgl.jpg

84btui2l.jpg

zE8F9Onl.jpg

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along again!

59 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Hello hello!!!

giphy.gif

I like it!  What are you thinking  you'll do in your new space this week? 

HIEEEE! Morning routine involves yoga/mobility flows and handstands, lifty stuff is lifty stuff, push/pull/legs/glutes. Full body!

4 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

AHH I totally forgot that your move put you right in town!!! Go enjoy all that walkable life stuff, you've earned it!

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yes. Punching trees seems like a prudent choice. Going to coffee shops to work sounds nice, because working from home can be distracting.

3 hours ago, SheriffWolfpool said:

Solid idea! I'm glad you live in town again so you can do all the urban rangering ;) 

2 hours ago, raptron said:

IN TOWN!!! So very exciting.

This is one of the few things I really miss about city life, and honestly it feels wonderful in this town. On Saturday I had a leisurely stroll to run some errands - I went to the library, browsed plants at the native plants nursery next to the indie bookshop, went over to the cultural center for a quilt exhibition where I ran into a girl that was in my quilt class last year! (And saw some beautiful quilts.) And then on my way back I hit a garage sale and walked away with 4 effects pedals! Farmers and flea market, I'm really enjoying everything we have here, and it's coming through in the kitchen WHICH I LOVE. I'll save that for another post, but it's just wonderful, we're home <3

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, RedStone said:

we're home <3

<3 everything you said was great, but this was really the coolest thing to read. So glad you and Mr. Red found a HOME, not just a house. :D

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

<3 everything you said was great, but this was really the coolest thing to read. So glad you and Mr. Red found a HOME, not just a house. :D

yeeeah, I felt it too, right when I wrote it. So sappy. So true.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Went and did the morning stuff in the studio (I really need an awesome name for this room. WHAT SHOULD I BE CALLING IT??) it was peaceful and felt good to move like that. I think I would really benefit from getting in more yoga and mobility these days! 

I also unpacked some books in there that are either martial arts or movement related, but decided at the last minute to bring my textbooks back upstairs to the main library shelves - which Mr Red has put some real time into the last few days. The office room is starting to take shape and I think is going to be a really cool room. It has the main bookshelves, work stations, music and audio equipment, and a day bed for guests if we need extra room - but also for chillin because we want to hang another tv and make it a secondary space for things like watching the sportball or whatever. It's kind of like our version of a man cave, only it's gender neutral and more like a techy/music room library viewing station. Because that makes sense. It's not that far from being set up, I'll take picts when it is!

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, RedStone said:

Went and did the morning stuff in the studio (I really need an awesome name for this room. WHAT SHOULD I BE CALLING IT??)

So it's for weight, martial arts and yoga workouts, right? 
The Arena? The ballroom? The might hub? Hall of transmutation?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Harriet said:

So it's for weight, martial arts and yoga workouts, right? 
The Arena? The ballroom? The might hub? Hall of transmutation?

It's a room of requirement ^_^:D 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, raptron said:

RoR for sure!

And yes, I love the sound of this office!

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

Nice

They're both feeling like RoRs... is it excessive to have 2 in the same house??? A work in progress to be sure!

UGH I love the way the office is shaping up tho. Worked in there yesterday for awhile and it had a great vibe. Once it's a little more cleaned up I'll get some pictures all up in here. I Juuust ordered a few more bookshelf extenders from IKEA because I'm just not going to get over there anytime soon and I just want to finalize that part of the project (and have the room too to unpack more of the stuff as well!) 

I also just went and did my first solid workout in the LRor (lower?) and it was kind of almost... luxurious? I mean, it's just a white wall, hospital linoleum floored room, but it feels spacious and peaceful and kind of crazy to have the whole room to myself! I'm really excited to put the TRX anchors into the wall because I can use them for banded work also. It really rounds out my toolbox :D 

Otherwise, we have an insane bumper crop of cucumbers so we'll be making pickles tomorrow, and have friends visiting from Friday - Monday so it should be pretty damn busy! Schedule is being followed, book is getting finalized and I expect to send out a few sections to beta readers next week. (I sent out the first few pages this week and am very happy with the responses so far!)

And that's all she wrote. Riding through Wednesday like

giphy.gif

• Like 4

14 hours ago, RedStone said:

I also just went and did my first solid workout in the LRor (lower?) and it was kind of almost... luxurious? I mean, it's just a white wall, hospital linoleum floored room, but it feels spacious and peaceful and kind of crazy to have the whole room to myself! I'm really excited to put the TRX anchors into the wall because I can use them for banded work also. It really rounds out my toolbox :D 

Love.

Otherwise, we have an insane bumper crop of cucumbers so we'll be making pickles tomorrow, and have friends visiting from Friday - Monday so it should be pretty damn busy!

WOO! PICKLES! And friends. Pickles and Friends: Summer Special of the Redstone Show. 

Schedule is being followed, book is getting finalized and I expect to send out a few sections to beta readers next week. (I sent out the first few pages this week and am very happy with the responses so far!)

Add me to your beta readers list if you want more! <3 

16 hours ago, RedStone said:

Otherwise, we have an insane bumper crop of cucumbers so we'll be making pickles tomorrow, and have friends visiting from Friday - Monday so it should be pretty damn busy! Schedule is being followed, book is getting finalized and I expect to send out a few sections to beta readers next week. (I sent out the first few pages this week and am very happy with the responses so far!)

Awesome--both the book and the cucumbers. I didn't know you could home make pickles. Now I'm excited. How does it work?

17 hours ago, RedStone said:

They're both feeling like RoRs... is it excessive to have 2 in the same house???

giphy.gif

No. Not if you REQUIRE it.

I'm sorry, I really couldn't help myself..

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, RedStone said:

They're both feeling like RoRs... is it excessive to have 2 in the same house??? A work in progress to be sure!

I mean, in a house that you own and cater to your own needs, isn't every room kind of a RoR? Also from a practical standpoint, you want your identification of things to be different or you won't be able to identify them, right? I personally like "studio" for more of a working space, and like gym or dojo or something for a work-out-y space, but that might also be my art background showing some bias for how I'm used to interpreting "studio."

I'm also a big fan of letting names come naturally. My parents' house came furnished when they bought it, and one of the bedrooms featured some gaudy deco and a painting of Audrey Hepburn. Though the room has long since been repainted and redecorated (much to my dismay), we still call that bedroom "Audrey" because there are multiple bedrooms and you can't just call every bedroom "bedroom." They also have the "green room" which is no longer green. Names are fun.

3 hours ago, raptron said:

Love.

WOO! PICKLES! And friends. Pickles and Friends: Summer Special of the Redstone Show. 

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

3 hours ago, raptron said:

Add me to your beta readers list if you want more! <3 

Awesome, I will, thank you!!!!! <33333333

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Awesome--both the book and the cucumbers. I didn't know you could home make pickles. Now I'm excited. How does it work?

Totally! It's fun and can be pretty easy too, depending on the method. You can make super easy refrigerator pickles like these for shorter term storage,  or a recipe like the one I'm making today for longer term storage. The main difference is the canning process which requires sterile jars and enough acidity for the mixture to keep - but if you're using a tried and true recipe you really don't have to think about anything other than sterilizing and properly sealing the jars. They can last 6-12+ months but the general rule of thumb is that anything canned in jars is usually tastiest within it's first year :D 

58 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

No. Not if you REQUIRE it.

I'm sorry, I really couldn't help myself..

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

I appreciate you.

41 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

I mean, in a house that you own and cater to your own needs, isn't every room kind of a RoR? Also from a practical standpoint, you want your identification of things to be different or you won't be able to identify them, right? I personally like "studio" for more of a working space, and like gym or dojo or something for a work-out-y space, but that might also be my art background showing some bias for how I'm used to interpreting "studio."

I'm also a big fan of letting names come naturally. My parents' house came furnished when they bought it, and one of the bedrooms featured some gaudy deco and a painting of Audrey Hepburn. Though the room has long since been repainted and redecorated (much to my dismay), we still call that bedroom "Audrey" because there are multiple bedrooms and you can't just call every bedroom "bedroom." They also have the "green room" which is no longer green. Names are fun.

Well, unfortunately the actual art studio gets to be the studio, and probably why I'm tripping up on calling this new gym some version of a studio, although I could move the art studio into a workshop type name... "Dojo" is not a Kung Fu term, (not Chinese), we simply say "school," so maybe down the road that could be a useful way of thinking about it for clients, like a movement school. (And for Kung Fu students, it's a school anyway sooooo) LOL names are fun, love the story!!!

• Like 3

Well, unfortunately the actual art studio gets to be the studio, and probably why I'm tripping up on calling this new gym some version of a studio, although I could move the art studio into a workshop type name... "Dojo" is not a Kung Fu term, (not Chinese), we simply say "school," so maybe down the road that could be a useful way of thinking about it for clients, like a movement school. (And for Kung Fu students, it's a school anyway sooooo) LOL names are fun, love the story!!!

I like movement studio, it gives such a non-gym vibe, and it's so non threatening.
With my ex, we would always dream of a 'gym for fat people' a place where to train and start your journey to health because going to a gym makes overweight people so self conscious... and movement studio would be a perfect name!