• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TiogaGirl

TiogaGirl tackles Awe-gust

Hi Rangers,

Without getting too far into the weeds and details, June was a rough rough month for me and the Tioga-fam. We spent July mostly trying to recover emotionally from some devastating family losses, and somehow here we are kicking off the last month of summer?! OK, let’s make this count. #AWEgust

My Big Why is unabashedly vain, I want to get back to my original state of looking awesome with or without clothes! And the confidence that comes with it. Can’t blame my extra fluff on a bad June, it’s been creeping on for a few years now. Easier to start rebuilding good habits in the summer than once the crazy of fall term hits, so here we go... This is mostly a body focused challenge (nutrition, activity), but what sort of Ranger would I be if I didn’t throw in a smattering of other secondary goals?

Mostly these goals are behaviours, that I can, in theory, do. Italicized ones are (weight) outcomes rather than behaviours... in theory if I do the body stuff they should follow naturally, but haha, scumbag body could have other plans. 

Body:

• Track food in MFP
  • Daily deficit: either ~500 cals/day after accounting for activity, or cap cals at 1750. (My master plan is to accommodate days that I’m super active and correspondingly hungry.)
  • NF strength workouts, every other day. General DOMS is now my b*tch so I’m onto Level 2 bodyweight (she said bad-assedly)
  • Galloway Easy 5K, on the alternate days
  • Bonus points for yoga! I loooooove getting hot and sweaty, but I’ve been getting complacent about yoga counting as my workout and fully neglecting formal strength and cardio
  • Weight below 152, for 2 consecutive weekly weigh ins
  • Weight below 147, for 2 consecutive weekly weigh ins
  • 1” off natural waist measurement
  • 1” off belly button measurement

Self-care

• Sunscreen every day (face, neck, chest)
  • 10 cups water, tracked in MFP
  • Night-time routine (wash face, use the nice serums and moisturizers, floss)
  • Screens off by 10:15
  • Find the silver lining: one point of gratitude each day

Bard side-hustle

• Practice piano, specifically the song I’m working on memorizing, at least 15”/day. (It’s Sugarfoot Boogie by Matthew Ball; my big goal here is to be able to play it from memory, so that I can duly impress peeps at social events or at random airport pianos)

Don’t quit your day job

• Except for holidays and weekends, write for at least 2 pomodoro sessions each day. Two highest priority projects are Student Genetics Project (SGP) and Popular Science Book (PSB): could do both pomodoros on one, or the other, or one of each.

Loot system to be determined later, after I (hopefully) have some solid successes under my belt!  It’s good to be back.

• Like 2

Pretty solid day so far! 

• Tracking: yes, so far (day’s not done though)
  • Deficit: yes, as above
  • Strength: did it yesterday, back on deck tomorrow
  • 5K program: yaaaaaaasssss! Day 1 is in the books haha
  • Yoga: you betcha! Oh holiday weekends, how I love you.
  • Sunscreen: yep
  • Water: yeah! Hit 10 c already and it’s only 5:30 pm. Now to stop chugging it by like 830 pm or I’ll be up all night, eek
  • Silver lining: Lots of good stuff going on today. My dogs met a new dog friend in the park this morning, and its owner told me about a brand new lab puppy in the neighbourhood, and then we MET THE PUPPY! She’s a relative of my dogs’ from the same breeder! Any day with so much puppy cuteness is pretty rockin. PLUS hubby is making homemade pizza tonight :)
  • Barding: yes! More like half hour practicing and the memory work is really coming along.
  • Day job: NOT TODAY, DAY JOB! Civic holiday here in Canada, thank you very much!

Ooo, I especially like your self-care goals!! You've got lots of good stuff going on and I hope it helps you start to feel a little more in control of things after your losses. Way to go on continuing to show up despite your pain.  :) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Ooo, I especially like your self-care goals!! You've got lots of good stuff going on and I hope it helps you start to feel a little more in control of things after your losses. Way to go on continuing to show up despite your pain.  :) 

Aw, thanks! :distrust:

Finished Monday/ Day 1 strong. Solid caloric deficit for the first time in, ah, a while; the night-time routines felt positively pampery, and in bed reading my book by 10 / out cold by 1015. Five weeks is a long time but I’m stoked for a good start.

Today will be weights, and maybe yoga if I make it home from work in time. Lunchtime meeting will be the main nutrition challenge, so I’ll set the mini-goal of finding the healthiest option there. I should really get into the meal prepping game and just take my own stuff *filing away idea for the NEXT 5 week challenge*

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TiogaGirl said:

My Big Why is unabashedly vain,

It's totally fine to be vain.

17 hours ago, TiogaGirl said:

rebuilding good habits in the summer than once the crazy of fall term hits

Truth - If I don't have my shit *somewhat* together before the fall hits, I end up turning into a bear and just hibernating, eating junk, and gaining.

• Like 1

Project Vanity continues! Tuesday (day 2) report:

• Tracking: big ole check-mark!
  • Calories: yeah, pretty much! ~1750 for the day, tho’ as I wasn’t so active as yesterday my deficit was a little under 500
  • Strength: yes, did it! (BW2A)
  • Running: nope, rest day, but walked for about 90 min all told (just errands and such)
  • Yoga: no :( looooong day at work!
  • Sunscreen: yes!
  • Water: ACK forgot to track this one! I suspect I’m nowhere near 10 c yet today (blush)
  • Screens off: will do!
  • Barding: ACK forgot this one too! Dashing to the piano as soon as I post this.
  • Nighttime routine: will do it!

Yawwwwwn, g’night rangers!

• Like 2

Pizza was fantastic!! Oh pizza, love you so much :)

Yesterday, Wednesday, I woke up with v sore knees, so postponed the scheduled run. I think from doing squats? Boo ... I must dig up the patellofemoral pain exercises my doctor sister recommends. And do them!

Traveled most of the day in prep for a celebration of life this weekend. So, not a very active day, blah. And didn’t track food, boo [I cant even blame that on the trip] But squeaked in a bit of piano, the sunscreen, the nighttime routine [pared down] and screens off in a timely fashion. 

• Like 1

Hmm, I could probably reconstruct yesterday’s food on MFP pretty well. Will see about doing so, after this morning’s running around, on the logic that late is better than never.

• Like 1

How have the past days been for you?

I often track a day or two even late, I think as long as you can recollect what you've been eating and drinking it's fine and even if you miss a thing you'll get a better picture than if you're not tracking it at all.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:47 AM, Inazea said:

I often track a day or two even late, I think as long as you can recollect what you've been eating and drinking it's fine and even if you miss a thing you'll get a better picture than if you're not tracking it at all.

You’re right, better late than never! Reconstructed food and drink as best I could and, uh, I still have some work to do on hitting that deficit (blush)

Rough week since last checking in. We had my dad’s celebration of life... so lots of family and fam friends visiting, reminiscing, drinking wine, staying up late laughing and crying. It was actually pretty awesome in terms of emotional catharsis and letting go of some of the grief (albeit a wild ride).

Less good is that my knees continue being very sore, and the achiness spread to my wrists and thumbs (so weird!). SO, I drummed up 20 seconds of courage yesterday to [attempt to] make a doc’s appt. Sadly, no appointments available this month, but I’ll head to the walk in clinic tonight and try to convince them to see me. So, exercise beyond walking has been lousy, but hopefully only temporarily so. 

Got back Monday night, and getting back into a good routine.

• Tracked food :)
  • Calories at 1700 (!!) That’s super low for me, and with normal levels of running around would have been an awesome deficit. In my weakened state, still hit a deficit of ~350. :)
  • No running, strength training, or yoga :( but did hit 10,000 steps for the first time in a few days
  • Sunscreen, water, screens off, night time pampering, reasonable bedtime and slept like a rock
  • Also got back to my piano and rocked the practice sesh last night.

Gah, wish me luck at the clinic this evening! Hopefully I can get a more specific and helpful diagnosis than my current self diagnosis which is pretty much “when a parent dies, you’re the next generation facing death, so your ageing process and body breakdown accelerates”.

• Like 1

.I've never tried grilled peaches. I'll try them. I love grilled pineapple

Sorry about your dad, glad  you had a nice service and a special  time of remembrance

• Like 1

YOU MUST TRY GRILLING PEACHES. Cut them in half, remove the pit, brush with a little oil if you like, then grill cut side down on medium/high for 2 min, rotate 90 degrees, grill another 2-3 min. They are soooo good! Oh man, now I can't stop thinking about them, haha

Good day so far: tracked brekkie and lunch, reasonable amount of walking (and put sunscreen on beforehand), lots of work-writing done. Going to the walk-in clinic soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 10 is in the books!

• Tracked food!
  • Sick deficit!
  • No running or other formal workout, but lots of walking around town
  • Sunscreen, water, nightly routine
  • Barding (piano) accomplished!
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, TiogaGirl said:

Barding (piano) accomplished!

What song are you working on?  I like kalinka.

4 hours ago, Teros said:

What song are you working on?  I like kalinka.

I had not heard of that and it’s pretty epic! I’m working on Sugarfoot Boogie (link below — tho I am not that good!) Super fun and challenging enough to keep me occupied for a good long while :)

Still grinding!

• Tracking food is ON. A. ROLL. Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun, everything.
  • Calories are a little higher than I planned (~2100 most days) but lots of activity too, which if I trust the burn logger should put me in a slight deficit ... looks like between 100-400 cal/day. But I am soooo much happier increasing activity than restricting food...
  • Still no running (sore knees, waiting on docs advice) but lots of walking, some cycling (22 km yesterday! Woot), and some yoga 
  • Realized I could resume strength training, just swapping out squats and lunges with dumbbell glute bridges instead! SO much easier on my knees, and I welcome the glute burn :) So did that yesterday
  • Have been solid about sunscreen and face washing. Pretty good about screen time and sleep time, and have been sleeping soooo well.
  • Drinking tons of water, but I have been falling down on the tracking there (need to establish that habit firmly by fall, as water becomes more of a challenge for me once it’s cold out)
  • Piano: practiced most days, mostly for well above minimum time. I memorized the first five pages of the song!!!! (Just 10 pages more, haha, but it gets into a bunch of repetition so I figure I’m largely there)

Feeling good :)

OH and my sports medicine doc sister informally prescribed me a bunch of knee strengthening exercises to do that will supposedly get me run-worthy again. But apparently these exercises only work if you actually do them. So, worked through the set yesterday and will put them into my calendar.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 11:53 AM, Elastigirl said:

Way to go on week 2. I'm with you on rather increase movement than less calories

I agree with Elastigirl.

How did your last week go?

• Like 1