• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

Spezzy's not sure she's ready, but she's here

So, haven't been able to decide if I'm ready to be back yet, but I'm here, and this is going to be a tough 5 weeks, so I might as well arm myself with as many tools as possible in my toolbox. 

This challenge will have a little bit of travel involved, first this week for my fiance's first bodybuilding show, then in 3 weeks for his second, and then the week after that, I'm headed up to Massachusetts. This is where my Mom lives, and we've made the (very hard) decision to take my dog up there for her to live out the rest of her days there - and while I know it's the right decision for her, that doesn't make it any easier. 

So this challenge is to keep me on track and focused, even with all of that going on. 

Goals:

1) Continue to walk every single morning with Madi, at least until the trip. If she's in boarding (for the bodybuilding shows), go for a walk anyway. This has been great for her, but also for me, to get out in the sun every morning. We've been doing this consistently since the end of June, and I want to continue. The only scenario where we don't go is if it's downpouring. 

2) 3 minutes of breathing exercises before work every morning. 

3) Swim when I can. My pool is closed the last week of August, so until then, swim 4-5x a week. On days that I don't swim, meditate. 

4) Gym at least 5x a week. 

5) Eat at least 1500 calories by 5pm each day. I'd like at least 2200 a day, but 1500 by 5 should help me get there. When I'm stressed, I forget to eat, and that always ends up with me not having eaten anything at all by 5. That never ends well. 

6) Study 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Working on getting a new certification, so this should keep me on track there. 

7) Make plans ahead of time to see everyone I want to see when I am back home in MA with my Mom on labor day weekend. I never plan well enough and always miss seeing everyone. @Knightwatch - up for a workout? :)

That's it! No fancy gifs or any fun theme. Just basic, focusing on consistency and keeping everything moving forward. 

• Like 9

Ugh - that’s a rough decision to make, but it sounds like you’re making the right call. Hugs to all of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Sorry to hear about your dog. Good luck on the rest of the challenges. 

4 hours ago, Gemma said:

It sucks when doing what we know to be best hurts so much. 

Giant virtual hugs to you and Madi! 

1 hour ago, darkfoxx said:

Ugh - that’s a rough decision to make, but it sounds like you’re making the right call. Hugs to all of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

I'm sorry you have to leave your dog. No doubt your mother will take great care of her. Good luck with hitting all your goals. 

Thanks, all! I'm just lucky my Mom is willing to try - and I think she will like having a younger, more energetic animal around, so it could work out for my Mom, too :)

• Like 3

So sorry about Madi, it sounds like it will be a positive change for both of them though! It doesn't make it suck any less though.

Your swimming goals always make me want to somehow work that into my schedule too. I miss swimming so much!

5 hours ago, Raxie said:

So sorry about Madi, it sounds like it will be a positive change for both of them though! It doesn't make it suck any less though.

Your swimming goals always make me want to somehow work that into my schedule too. I miss swimming so much!

It will be a change, that's for sure! But Madi isn't happy here, so hopefully this will be much better for HER, which is the most important thing here :)

Swimming is so much fun! Do you have a pool available? I've been just doing 20 minutes most days. That way when I'm really struggling making it, all I have to say is "it's just 20 minutes, Staci" and that seems to help. Once i'm in the pool, i love every second of it :)

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It stinks Madi has to move. Please get another dog soon, as you said, those walks are good for you. Good luck to said Fiance on the comp. I've seen a few of his instagram posts lately and he looks incredible.

It does stink, but with her issues it's hopefully best. :) 

The walks are great for me, and I do plan on continuing them after Madi moves, however, I might also see about getting a morning swim routine in instead. We will see!

Another dog will probably wait a bit until the heartbreak of Madi has lessened, she's all settled in, I'm no longer paying for her care (1 year of training + vet is included in this deal with my Mom), and once we have a better idea of where we will be living in 2020, because of course, yes, that's up in the air like always, hah! But I will definitely be looking forward to getting another one. Might foster a bit in the meantime. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, spezzy said:

where we will be living in 2020, because of course, yes,

I vote Texas ;) Did I tell you that since we have bought a house we are going to a different HEB and that this one has A BBQ RESTAURANT IN THE STORE?!??!?!

3 hours ago, spezzy said:

Another dog will probably wait a bit until the heartbreak of Madi has lessened, she's all settled in, I'm no longer paying for her care (1 year of training + vet is included in this deal with my Mom),

That makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, spezzy said:

It will be a change, that's for sure! But Madi isn't happy here, so hopefully this will be much better for HER, which is the most important thing here :)

Definitely understand - I was on the opposite end of this when I had to take a cat from a family member when they moved into a bad cat environment.  It's hard, but doing the right thing usually is.

Swimming is so much fun! Do you have a pool available? I've been just doing 20 minutes most days. That way when I'm really struggling making it, all I have to say is "it's just 20 minutes, Staci" and that seems to help. Once i'm in the pool, i love every second of it :)

I kind of do - there's a gym nearby that I've been debating switching my membership to.  It's twice as expensive as my current gym but the free weights area is usually WAY less crowded and they have a pool so it's SOOOO tempting. I always try to put it out of my mind because of the cost but your swimming always makes me want to bite that bullet.  Being in the water just feels so good.

Aww man sorry to hear about Madi, but hopefully it works out for the best for all of you.

Also, good luck to your fiance in hi upcoming competition! I had no idea, that's quite a change :) 

21 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I vote Texas ;) Did I tell you that since we have bought a house we are going to a different HEB and that this one has A BBQ RESTAURANT IN THE STORE?!??!?!

That makes a lot of sense.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76114d74c824cfd6952ea7

7 hours ago, Raxie said:

Definitely understand - I was on the opposite end of this when I had to take a cat from a family member when they moved into a bad cat environment.  It's hard, but doing the right thing usually is.

I kind of do - there's a gym nearby that I've been debating switching my membership to.  It's twice as expensive as my current gym but the free weights area is usually WAY less crowded and they have a pool so it's SOOOO tempting. I always try to put it out of my mind because of the cost but your swimming always makes me want to bite that bullet.  Being in the water just feels so good.

It really does! I ended up having to get a second gym membership because the pool gym's gym is pretty much the worst, so some days, I actually drive to the lifting gym, then leave there and then drive to the gym with the pool, hah. The pool gym also will have yoga in the fall (it's a college gym, so summer vacation right now), so that will be nice.

So I end up spending way too much a month on gym memberships, but I figure it's okay because I use them both and I can cut out other things (like, I only eat out when I travel) that aren't as important to me :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Raxie said:

It's so hard - your family member was lucky that you could take the cat! I was super lucky when I had to rehome a cat a few years ago, that a friend was able to take her and give her a better home than I could. I think a lot of it is feelings of failure on my part, and that's not fair to HER to make her keep living this way because I feel like I failed her. 

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I highly recommend fostering. It’s a great way to be useful and hang out with a bunch of dogs. And if you’re in the market you’ll get to try out a dog in your situation before you commit.

Funny story, is that this dog was actually a foster - and she had so many trust and confidence issues and really just trusted me and no one else in the beginning, so we decided that her best chance was for me to adopt her. But over the last 5 years her issues have gotten worse and worse and literally the only thing we have not tried is a super quiet life in the middle of the woods with a single human. Sooooo worth a shot :)

But definitely will look into fostering again - and I feel like fostering could be a good in between grounds for a bit where I'd be helpful (especially with my experience with this dog), but not taking on a forever commitment to another dog with a ton of issues. 

6 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Aww man sorry to hear about Madi, but hopefully it works out for the best for all of you.

Also, good luck to your fiance in hi upcoming competition! I had no idea, that's quite a change :) 

Fingers crossed! :)

And yeah - it is a huge change, but a good one for him. We're to the last few days so it's a bit rough on him, but the prep has been so much easier mentally. Less injuries, no pressure to perform a certain way in the gym - which are both hugely welcome changes for him.

• Like 5

It really does! I ended up having to get a second gym membership because the pool gym's gym is pretty much the worst, so some days, I actually drive to the lifting gym, then leave there and then drive to the gym with the pool, hah. The pool gym also will have yoga in the fall (it's a college gym, so summer vacation right now), so that will be nice.

So I end up spending way too much a month on gym memberships, but I figure it's okay because I use them both and I can cut out other things (like, I only eat out when I travel) that aren't as important to me :)

The down side is a lot of the reasons they charge so much for their gym is because they have a million free classes, which I'd never take advantage of.  I'm not sure how much exactly the pool is worth to me for that? Hahah.  This conversation has inspired me to look a little harder for a pool near me (like beyond walking radius) - AND I FOUND ONE! I'd have to take the subway to it, but if I went for a swim once a week the super low cost of the gym ($12/month?! that's unheard of cheap) added up with the subway cost still comes up MASSIVELY cheaper than the gym I was originally considering, cheap enough that I can absolutely justify it by giving up one or two restaurant nights throughout the month to fund it. I am now seriously considering this for the fall/winter. Thanks for the inspiration! :D

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 11:08 AM, Raxie said:

The down side is a lot of the reasons they charge so much for their gym is because they have a million free classes, which I'd never take advantage of.  I'm not sure how much exactly the pool is worth to me for that? Hahah.  This conversation has inspired me to look a little harder for a pool near me (like beyond walking radius) - AND I FOUND ONE! I'd have to take the subway to it, but if I went for a swim once a week the super low cost of the gym ($12/month?! that's unheard of cheap) added up with the subway cost still comes up MASSIVELY cheaper than the gym I was originally considering, cheap enough that I can absolutely justify it by giving up one or two restaurant nights throughout the month to fund it. I am now seriously considering this for the fall/winter. Thanks for the inspiration! :D

THAT'S AMAZING :D:D:D $12 a month is insanely cheap. Yayyyyyy!!!!

• Like 1

So it feels like whenever I try to come back, something gets in the way, hah. But I'm not going to let that stop me, just going to pivot a bit and keep going :)

Ben's bb comp was last weekend, was planning on training each day regardless, but it ended up being more time consuming than planned, so didn't get training in Friday - Saturday. Lesson learned, that's fine :)

Sunday I woke up with crippling food poisoning. 

Yesterday I got back to the gym for 20 minutes of stretching and super light bodyweight movements, more because I wanted to move because I'm antsy from being in bed for 3 days straight. 

And we found out that for Ben's next comp we have to travel a bit more, so the schedule for the rest of the challenge looks like this:

Next week: Normal week
Aug 26-31 Traveling for comp

Sept 1-2 "Normal" days
Sept 3-6 Traveling up to MA with Madi

So things are going to be crazy to say the least. 

I need to revise goals, but I need to think about that and will do that later :)

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, spezzy said:

Sunday I woke up with crippling food poisoning. 

Argh, yuck. Food poisoning is horrid. I hope you recover rapidly and the travelling goes smoothly. 

• Like 1

Oooof food poisoning, damn.  That's a rough one.  Glad you're feeling better and that you were able to get in some movement this week!

Your schedule sounds nuts! Do you tend to have a plan in place that you use for each travel scenario or are things so different everywhere that you end up having to plan for each trip separately?

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 10:02 AM, Harriet said:

Argh, yuck. Food poisoning is horrid. I hope you recover rapidly and the travelling goes smoothly. 

Thank you!!! First time in a long time so can't be super mad. 

On 8/15/2019 at 3:32 PM, Raxie said:

Oooof food poisoning, damn.  That's a rough one.  Glad you're feeling better and that you were able to get in some movement this week!

Your schedule sounds nuts! Do you tend to have a plan in place that you use for each travel scenario or are things so different everywhere that you end up having to plan for each trip separately?

Depends on what we're traveling for. We used to travel a lot for powerlifting meets, and I had that down to a science - but now it's for bodybuilding, which is a whole new world to me. For example, the last trip I found myself at Wal Mart buying cheap sheets, because we had no idea that Ben's spray tan would rub off on EVERYTHING in the hotel, and then at 7-11 in the middle of the night buying excedrine because he had a migraine (another thing that's normal). At least we know, now - so I'm going in a bit more prepared. 

I generally work through travel - and have a good system for that, though I did just get a little iPad stand and now with the new OS can use my iPad as a second monitor for my laptop - so I'm really stoked about that. 

But if anything, travel has taught me to embrace the chaos, not to panic, and to use every second I have when I have it. I can get a LOT done in an hour at Starbucks if I really need to. 

On 8/15/2019 at 3:49 PM, miss_marissa said:

Ugh hope you're feeling better!

How did Ben do in his comp?

Thank you!

Ben got second in both categories which is what he needed to qualify for nationals - which is where we are headed next week! He needs to place top 2 again to get his pro card, so that's the goal!

• Like 8

9 hours ago, spezzy said:

Thank you!

Ben got second in both categories which is what he needed to qualify for nationals - which is where we are headed next week! He needs to place top 2 again to get his pro card, so that's the goal!

That's incredible! Well done Ben.

On 8/20/2019 at 6:27 AM, spezzy said:

Amazing!

On 8/20/2019 at 9:27 AM, spezzy said:

For example, the last trip I found myself at Wal Mart buying cheap sheets, because we had no idea that Ben's spray tan would rub off on EVERYTHING in the hotel,

HAH this cracks me up because I just had the same surprise/experience at my first ballroom competition a few weeks ago XD

On 8/20/2019 at 9:27 AM, spezzy said:

That's so awesome! Congrats to him! :)