Shotokan continues onward

Shotokan

The last challenge went well but not as good as the two before it.  I have a feeling I was over trained and ended up taking a few steps back during that challenge.  Water under the bridge I guess but it was a good learning experience.  I need to listen a little closer to my body and not let my mind keep pushing when my body tells me to back off.  I didn't do as well as I expected at the Karate tournament and I could spit out a bunch of excuses but instead, it's making me get back into competition.  Having something to focus on was a great training aid and I think I can use it to my advantage as long as use my head going forward and take a day off if I feel I need it. 

I haven't decided if I am going to compete in October or wait until next year but if I do compete this year I have about 9 weeks to get ready.  I found that I can handle between 8 to 10 weeks of all out training before things fall apart so I am going to spend the next two challenges testing my theory. 

1 -  Kata training - 25 for week one, 30 for week two, 35 for week three and 40 for week four.  I might get more depending on my Karate class but those numbers are the goal. 

2 - Mobility training -  3 times a week.  Any and every option open for this one but it has to last for at least 20 minutes each session.

3 - Strength training - 2 times a week.  Any type of body weight or weight workouts.

Extra credit: Finally publish at least one blog post.

As always, this might be modified to better fit my goals.

• Like 3

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido

Week one, day one:

It felt good to start a new challenge.  I was considering sitting this one out but that would just be wrong.  Iron Man wouldn't sit it out so neither am I. 

giphy.gif

Although, if I do have to sit for a while, eating the box of donuts while sitting in a giant donut does seem like a good plan.

Mobility is and was done today.  DDP with Hayden was pretty intense for only 20 minutes or so.   DDP has some guest trainers on his program and this was a serious lower body workout with lots of good moves that should directly apply to my Karate training.  

After the mobility workout, my katas felt pretty good.  My legs felt solid with lower stances and some good hand techniques.  I am focusing on some of the fundamental katas because of the stance work but I will add my competition katas as the challenge progresses. 

My workout only lasted about 35 minutes but I was able to get in a lot work in a short time.  

Kata - 4 / 130

Mobility - 1 / 12

Strength - 0 / 8

Blog post - 0 / 1

• Like 3

Doug

If you have been overtraining and considering sitting this one out, maybe adding a rest goal would be useful? Sometimes the best results come from making sure you get enough rest between training.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

15 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

If you have been overtraining and considering sitting this one out, maybe adding a rest goal would be useful? Sometimes the best results come from making sure you get enough rest between training.

Great advice!  I have a tendency to go all out and often forget to pay attention to what my body is telling me.  I used to take a day off whenever I didn't feel like training and I stopped doing that even though it seemed to work.  I think I'll try that again and if I get burned out again, I'll add some forced rest days.

• Like 1

Doug

Week one, day two:

Today's workout was a tough karate class with time for seven katas spread throughout. 

I think I learned something tonight that I knew all along but for some reason, it became more clear. We I competed a few week ago, I did my kata focusing on form and from what I was told by some very polite people, I didn't look as strong when they saw me in the past.  When I did my kata tonight, it was like old times, doing each movement will full power like I used to do.  I thought of each move as death for whoever ended up on the other end of it and that is what is missing from my competition kata.  I was always told to turn the power down to improve my form but I seems turning the power down didn't give me the results I expected. To make a long story short, it's time to take the old power suit out of the closet and let is breath again.  For my next tournament, I am going to put the power to pavement again and see what it brings.  I am not going to throw form away but it is now going to have to stand in line behind pure power.

Kata - 11 / 130

Mobility - 1 / 12

Strength - 0 / 8

Blog post - 0 / 1

• Like 2

Doug

That's an interesting point re: kata. My little brother does Chinese martial arts and we've had the chance to talk to each other and compare notes. He says one of the things he notices as being missing is the intent of the movement. You can tell good kung fu kata - taolu - from bad by the intent. Good taolu has a sort of twitchy energy as if there's a bomb going off somewhere in the kinetic chain with every move.

I guess I could see an argument for precision, but even when you look at the world champs in kata competitions, they have a ton of power. It's just very precise, and if they didn't have that power it wouldn't carry the same look.

So, I mean. You gotta have both. One without the other doesn't mean very much. It's true in striking as it is in forms work - aim and have a good structure, but throw with power or else you're just a pretty building getting to be knocked over.

• Like 2
On 8/7/2019 at 9:42 AM, Kishi said:

He says one of the things he notices as being missing is the intent of the movement.

This is huge.  I have judged many kata competitors at tournaments and the best ones might not have the best form but it looks as if they are killing someone with each move.  You don't only see the intention, you can feel it.  The thing that makes the difference between a good competitor and an elite competitor is the same power with crisp form and the ability to stop every movement looking like a statue at the end of each technique.  I guess my years of retirement from competition took a toll but now a have a new goal to get back to where I was six or so years ago.

• Like 1

Doug

Week one, day three:

Very easy workout day.  Five stationary katas and some kick training.  Kind of a forced rest with some movement.

Week one, day four:

Only one kata but a pretty active day overall.  I spent most of my evening assembling an elliptical that I bought for my wife for our upcoming anniversary.   I spent about 10 minutes on it and it was tough.  I think this might become part of my training routine.  It really roasted my legs in a short time.

Kata - 17 / 130

Mobility - 1 / 12

Strength - 0 / 8

Blog post - 0 / 1

• Like 1

Doug

Week one, day five:

Day five didn’t go as planned.  I ended up leaving work at 10 pm and I wasn’t in the mood to workout after eating dinner.  I did get some good exercise in during the with almost 18000 steps but one kata was all I had in me.

Week one, day six.  

Today went much better.  I spent 10 minutes on the elliptical, which was a good warm up, then my dumbbell complex workout followed along with DDP for mobility and four katas.  I ended up getting over an hour of training and it felt pretty good.

Kata - 22 / 130

Mobility - 2 / 12

Strength - 1 / 8

Blog post - 0 / 1

• Like 2

Doug

On 8/9/2019 at 1:56 AM, Shotokan said:

This is huge.  I have judged many kata competitors at tournaments and the best ones might not have the best form but it looks as if they are killing someone with each move.  You don't only see the intention, you can feel it.  The thing that makes the difference between a good competitor and an elite competitor is the same power with crisp form and the ability to stop every movement looking like a statue at the end of each technique.  I guess my years of retirement from competition took a toll but now a have a new goal to get back to where I was six or so years ago.

I used to practice kung fu, and comparing and contrasting my good form practice days with bad ones I can say intent is part of it, but I think awareness, mindfulness... presence. It is definitely a mental thing. Or a mind-body thing. When the body is tired, stiff, or sore and won't cooperate with the mind, form falls apart.

I think of forms as teaching how to draw using connect the dots. When you first learn it, you draw straight lines between each dot. When you finish it, you can see the picture there, but the drawing is jagged. It resembles the intended picture, but it's not pretty. With practice, you can start to draw the picture using just the right curves so that the final image appears such that you can't even see the dots. But, if you draw it without regarding the dots, the image starts to get distorted. Those dots anchor the form.

Good form hits all the points accurately, and with control, but with such grace that you can't even see the points. Pulling that off requires synchronicity between mind and body.

• Like 2

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Well, I guess my body thought I needed a break.  About a week or so ago, I had some strange pain in my joints.  I was going to blame the Karate from Tuesday that week or the time I spent on the elliptical but on Monday of last something felt a little off and the chills came around 3 am Tuesday morning. By Tuesday afternoon, I was walking really slow and my lower body felt like it was hit all over with a hammer.  I left work early, which I never do and went home to lay down.  From that point, my stomach cramped up like the best ab workout ever and it kept me on my back for almost 24 hours.  My nemesis, the stomach flu, came calling and gave me the old one two punch.  This happens sometimes once or twice a year and when it does, it takes me out.  Luckily, today, I am about 80 percent and even though I still am feeling a slight fever, I was able to finally workout.  I didn't push it too hard but it did give me a good sweat.  The only benefit, although I am sure it really wasn't a good thing is, I lost 7 pounds.  I am pretty sure it was mostly water but not eating for almost three days had an impact.

Week two, day five. 

I did get in one kata last night but today was somewhat normal. 

5 minutes on the elliptical

DB complex

Three katas

My current DB complex is one of the better ones I have done over the years.  It consists of the following:

• Romanian dead lift
  • Bent over db row
  • DB clean
  • DB press
  • DB curl
  • DB step up
  • DB Zottman curl
  • DB side raises
  • DB toe rasies 

I normally do 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 for reps but I started at 5 today since I am not back to normal yet although I don't think many would call me normal anyway.

Kata - 26 / 130

Mobility - 2 / 12

Strength - 12/ 8

Blog post - 0 / 1

• Like 1

Doug

Yeesh, as weight loss plans go stomach flu is, uh, not ideal.

Also, Zottman curls look really cool! They kind of remind me of the rotational component in ring work, which has been a blessing for my elbow. Good stuff.

I'm sure you don't need me to say it, but be mindful of recovery. If you feel worse the next day it means you went too hard and you need to dial it back for a bit. Remember - gentle work is still work.

On 8/22/2019 at 1:30 PM, Teirin said:

How are you doing?

Good thanks.  I have been working too many hours at work but my workouts have been going well overall.  Lots of training and this past challenge went better than I expected.  How are you?

Doug

On 9/13/2019 at 12:46 AM, Shotokan said:

Good thanks.  I have been working too many hours at work but my workouts have been going well overall.  Lots of training and this past challenge went better than I expected.  How are you?

Good to hear!   I have been working and stressing and not much else.  Need to fix that. 

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

On 9/15/2019 at 12:31 AM, Teirin said:

Good to hear!   I have been working and stressing and not much else.  Need to fix that. 

The last two plus weeks have been some of the most stressful at my job since I started there over four years ago.  My boss, who is the president of the company and his wife who is the CFO left for Italy for three weeks and I inherited both of their jobs while they are gone.  I have my work along with both of theirs that needs to be done while they are away and it has taken me way out of my comfort zone but my workouts everyday has kept my stress in check.  On days when I am too tired to get in a hard workout, 15 or 20 minutes of training is really helping.  When I do get time to put in an hour or more, it helps even more but even the short workouts are keeping me calm.  Stress, like most other problems only get out of control if we let them go too far.  Step back, take a breath and let your stress go.  If I can do it, I know you can too.

Doug