• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RoachRex

RoachRex Aims at Recovery

What's up! So during my last challenge, just unrelated, I p much broke one of my toes.  It was feeling p much better so last week my dumbass went on a hike with my bro, his wife, their dog, and my younger cousin.  I was fine that day but yesterday my ankle on the OTHER foot started hurting, I probably stepped on something wrong or maybe one of the times I slipped in the water I'm really not sure but the ankle hurts when I walk :T

So instead of charging ahead and injuring myself more.  This time I'm gonna take some time and focus on healing up my feets and generally focusing on low impact exercise and stretches. 

Starting Stats

Height:5'4"
Weight:234#

The Goals: 

Stretch daily!
My plan is to focus on stretching, especially my legs and my back.  

7 days- A

6 days - B

5 days - C

4 days - D

3 or less - F

Log Foods Daily!
I don't really know how many calories I should be eating anymore, but I definitely need to get back in the habit of keeping track! I'm back on MyFitnessPal, my username is RoachRex!

7 days- A

6 days - B

5 days - C

4 days - D

3 or less - F

Meal Prep!
My goal is, every week, to prep my meals for the entire week. I'm honestly A-ok with eating the same thing every day, I even was into Soylent for a while (but it messed with my gut too much). Honestly the reason I eat junk is out of convenience.  So if I can batch-cook and make all my meals in advanced? Ain't nothing more convenient than that! 
          4 weeks - A
          3 weeks - B
          2 weeks - C
          1 weeks - D
          0 weeks - F

Swim/Surf!
I still need to build up endurance for November so in the mean time, every weekend while it's hot I want to either go to my mom's apartment and swim in the pool, or go to the beach with my surfboard. I haven't gotten to a point where I can stand up on it but it's a good balance challenge just getting up to sit on it for me. I plan to do this at least once a week. 
          4 times - A
          3 times - B
          2 times - C 
          1 times - D
          0 times - F
  • Like 4

[WEEK 1] Day 2 (8/6/19)

Exercise (Totals)

Food

Gatorade (zero Sugar)
Gatorade (regular 20oz)
Toasted club sandwich
Bbq chips
sparkling electrolyte water

Goals

[  ]  Stretch 

[  ]  Log Foods

[  ]  Meal Prep 

[  ]  Swim

To do

Buy sparkling water (the fizz helps my sensitive guts)

Pack Lunch for tomorrow - Chicken/veg curry

My cousin is in town so my food's not gonna be Great this week.  But my appetite is p low so it hasn't been too bad so far. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RoachRex said:

What's up! So during my last challenge, just unrelated, I p much broke one of my toes.  It was feeling p much better so last week my dumbass went on a hike with my bro, his wife, their dog, and my younger cousin.  I was fine that day but yesterday my ankle on the OTHER foot started hurting, I probably stepped on something wrong or maybe one of the times I slipped in the water I'm really not sure but the ankle hurts when I walk :T....

... that sucks!  boy sad to hear that Rex - but you are RIGHT

to give these efforts a big PAUSE

----

I feel like I could scream it to all the world that HIKING CAN BE HARDCORE HARD, ATHLETIC exercise!

cuz it seems that far too many people that haven't done much of it- just do NOT understand this.  it gets people in trouble all the time- it does!

.... now you'll want to be cAREFUL about this advice

but I'd still encourage you to look the daily "mobility" in your life.  its very important for you to try to hang onto it.  

when I was doing my Hiking challenge my daily steps still mattered!  and you can - Carefully ease into smaller walks.  do the Little walks, so you can do the bigger ones!

Stretching and Swimming will take you FAR! (they will!)  but you shouldn't give up on Getting OUT there!  just be very careful about it!!

another thought that occurs to me

consider talking to a podiatrist/Physical Therapist!  I know that can be expensive in the US of A... but being active is worth it. 

• Like 1

Yeah I have some good insurance so I gotta see about seeing a podiatrist anyways. I do have to walk about a mile minimum for my job p much daily. Usually 2 but I am getting a pass to lessen it until my toe is fully healed.

But yeah because of the big rains we had during winter a lot of the farther paths out we take to the river's edge were all different.  A bit more precarious too.   We're planning to go out later on and kind of fix that trail (it's not really an official one, but there's a really nice area next to the river that we can't quite get to right now.) but idk when my bro wants to do that. If my boots arrive in time I won't think twice about going though to be honest >> So in the mean time I want to encourage as much healing as I can

• Like 2

go rex go

and.. please man

be CAREFUL

whats the sayin?'

if you haven't gotten health, you haven't gotten anything

image.jpeg.e23665f198a56449506a1c64dc18bc52.jpeg

Don't be MOSTLY dead!  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYnk72_uvxKB4sZDiztIu

Good luck!!

• Like 1

WEEK 1] Day 3 (8/7/19)

Exercise (Totals)

Walked 3.68 mi (According to Samsung Health)

Food

sparkling mineral water

a couple bites of a soft pretzel
Seafood platter (seafood hushpuppies, fried cod, fried shrimp, french fries)
a fistful of cottoncandy

Goals

[  ]  Stretch  

[X]  Log Foods

[  ]  Meal Prep My cousin is here so I'm having dinners with him and my mom.

[  ]  Swim

To do

Take cuz to Santa Monica Pier (Done!) 

• Like 1

[WEEK 1] Day 4 (8/8/19)

Exercise (Totals)

Walked 3.41 mi (according to Samsung Health)

Food

sparkling mineral water

cottage cheese with pineapple mix in

Chicken & veg curry rice

Spaghett

Goals

[  ]  Stretch  

[X]  Log Foods

[  ]  Meal Prep My cousin is here so I'm having dinners with him and my mom.

[  ]  Swim

To do
Find a good stretch routine (any suggestions? I'm a beginner but I"m p flexible)
Find my foam camping mat. (it'll make a good mat to stretch on probably) 

• Like 2

On 8/8/2019 at 1:35 PM, RoachRex said:

To do
Find a good stretch routine (any suggestions? I'm a beginner but I"m p flexible)

I had that kind of questions several years back when I got more interested in daily mobility.  its a surprisingly hard thing to answer, because though people can give you a LOT Of ideas of what to do to stretch- nobody can really say whats best for you.

whats best for you is what Feels best- like a good pair of shoes, and you'll  have to keep trying and switching things to find it.

OTOH; any stretching is far better than no stretching and there are a huge number of ways to do it-- look up Yoga stances to get some ideas.  yoga stances ARE nearly all simply good stretches and if you will; yoga* is the ancient science/art of Stretching , combined with controlling one's breath and calming one's mind

*thats perhaps as deep as I should get into yoga.  other rebels are far more qualified than I am, in talking about it.

6 hours ago, Inazea said:

How did the last few days go? And more importantly: how is your ankle doing?

5 hours ago, TGP said:

I had that kind of questions several years back when I got more interested in daily mobility.  its a surprisingly hard thing to answer, because though people can give you a LOT Of ideas of what to do to stretch- nobody can really say whats best for you.

whats best for you is what Feels best- like a good pair of shoes, and you'll  have to keep trying and switching things to find it.

OTOH; any stretching is far better than no stretching and there are a huge number of ways to do it-- look up Yoga stances to get some ideas.  yoga stances ARE nearly all simply good stretches and if you will; yoga* is the ancient science/art of Stretching , combined with controlling one's breath and calming one's mind

*thats perhaps as deep as I should get into yoga.  other rebels are far more qualified than I am, in talking about it.

Oh jeez I haven't posted in about a week!  SO I haven't been so great on food /prepping or logging. I didn't find a stretch routine exactly but I found a short Qi gong routine I've been doing. It's kinda like tai chi I guess is the best way to put it. But Tai Chi is a little more combat forms and such.  it's not a stretch routine per se but there are some stretching movements in  the routine I've been doing. 

Additionally last saturday was a bit cold so I didn't get to swim, but I _did_ learn to skateboard (more or less). Which I'm really enjoying and while you wouldn't think it'd help my ankle or toe the toe seems to have healed up nicely, and I put the foot with the ankle as my front foot so it doesn't move as much so I'm still a bit active and having a good time without messing it up more. 

Neither issue as at 100% but I'd say my toe is probably 85-90% healed and the ankle is like 60-75% healed. Though I do still get a bit of pain from the ankle if I overdo it at work. 

I haven't heard of qi gong and I only did the smallest amount of tai chi.  it was Fun!

anyways.  woot!

awesome.  I'm glad to hear that your feeling that much stronger.   

Sucks about the busted toes.  I would imagine that really takes a while to heal up since you can't just, like, stop moving.  Heal up!

Yeah definitely doing my best to let it rest but when work requires walking (as does life, and birthday parties, and so on)  it's been longer than i expected.   Also of course, when I decide I want to swim all the time, the weather flips me the bird and it's too cold for swimming. 

But I have been keeping up on practicing skateboarding but just a little at a time.

Food hasn't been great but I haven't done too badly.  I just have to get better about logging it, (And eating a vegetable once in a while)

I was also having some stomach trouble over the weekend and I realized I always end up puking if I drink too much cold water (like, chug a glass for example).  So I switched to room temp and haven't had any troubles yet.  Here's hoping that's the fix. 

• Like 1