• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dalish

This is not a challenge thread...

...but it also kind of is.

Hi!

So I just got out of hospital.  Severe pneumonia.  My left lung basically collapsed and I had about 3 inches of infected fluid surrounding the lung crushing down on it.  It was not fun.  I needed a drain in my chest to get rid of it.  They still didn't manage to get all of the fluid out.  Pictures of great funtimes in spoiler.

Spoiler

67811256_10157480235826834_7025937811828

So right now, the challenge is just resting.  It's focusing on getting better, catching my breath, reconnecting with myself and my health as it is right now, and getting into posting regularly again, reconnecting with people here, and finding rhythm.  

• Like 4

Feel better Dalish  :( I have been following along on your instagram. Can you practice some meditation while you are stuck there?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Feel better Dalish  :( I have been following along on your instagram. Can you practice some meditation while you are stuck there?

Not stuck anymore, I got out on Wednesday :) but I am stuck at home a lot healing up the last bit because my meds aren't safe to drive on and I'm still too sore to do much.  So mostly I'm trying some gentle stretching and keeping my circulation moving, little walks around my house and trying to be mindful about my eating.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dalish said:

Not stuck anymore, I got out on Wednesday :) but I am stuck at home a lot healing up the last bit because my meds aren't safe to drive on and I'm still too sore to do much.  So mostly I'm trying some gentle stretching and keeping my circulation moving, little walks around my house and trying to be mindful about my eating.  

Duh lol Rookie great reading and retention skills. Your first line in your not challenge was that you got out of the hospital. That is so nice to hear though! Its much better being uncomfortable at home in your own space. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rookie said:

Its much better being uncomfortable at home in your own space. 

It is!  I can't lie on one side, all I'm doing is sleeping and grouching and trying to actually do things and failing because I get so exhausted.  But I'm in my space, I don't have to wear pants if I don't want to, life is good!

• Like 1

Jesus Christ, I’m coming down there and putting you in a bubble. You’ve had such shit luck this year. :( Sending happy healthy vibes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tateman said:

Hopefully, a speedy recovery! That sounds like an awful experience

It was 100% not fun!  They put the drain in under local anaesthetic because general affects your breathing so they can't do it.  It is a...disturbing sensation.

4 hours ago, fleaball said:

Jesus Christ, I’m coming down there and putting you in a bubble. You’ve had such shit luck this year. :( Sending happy healthy vibes. 

I would absolutely be down for living in a bubble, someone could put in only healthy food in good portions for me and I could roll down hills all day long.  Thanks for the vibes <3 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, fleaball said:

I hope you were able to get some sleep!

I did, it involved laying awake until I was so exhausted the room was spinning, but we got there.  Right now...whatever works, works.

Now I have to take myself to the store and get food, because I have to have food to take my pills (this is my nemesis of medication requirements) but the muscles in my back have seized up in a way that makes moving my shoulder excruciating, but I can't take my anti inflammatory/muscle relaxant without the food I have to go get.  

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Dalish said:

I did, it involved laying awake until I was so exhausted the room was spinning, but we got there.  Right now...whatever works, works.

Now I have to take myself to the store and get food, because I have to have food to take my pills (this is my nemesis of medication requirements) but the muscles in my back have seized up in a way that makes moving my shoulder excruciating, but I can't take my anti inflammatory/muscle relaxant without the food I have to go get.  

Are there any restaurants or grocery stores that deliver? I'm gonna guess if there were you'd've done that already, but asking anyway in case of brain farts or something.

54 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Are there any restaurants or grocery stores that deliver? I'm gonna guess if there were you'd've done that already, but asking anyway in case of brain farts or something.

Alas, not immediately and not at this time of the morning.  I've been and done it now, and I'm consoling my aching back with a spinach and feta croissant to take my meds with.  Seems a fair-ish trade, they are amazing

• Like 2

So yes, grocery shop done for the next few days.  I picked up some beetroot hummus and some smoky chipotle hummus, some tortilla wraps, a small magherita pizza, some eggs, some cheese, some naan bread and a premade lentil daal that I can just put in a pan and heat up.  I've already got a lot of basics at home and veggies, so I can throw stuff in pans or the slow cooker.  So I'm all set til wednesday I think which is when I get paid next.

Down side is I now feel like there's a knife being twisted in my shoulder blade.  Oxy is taking the edge off but man it hurts.  I managed to get stuff put away, and get my pills taken, but now I'm curled up in bed again.  Which just sucks, cause I'd like to be able to do more and get a few things cleaned a little.  But pacing is a necessity and all that.

• Like 2

I feel like I missed some things. 

A.) why are your back and shoulder messed up from pneumonia? Or is this something else?

B.) are you still living with your dad?

7 hours ago, fleaball said:

I feel like I missed some things. 

A.) why are your back and shoulder messed up from pneumonia? Or is this something else?

B.) are you still living with your dad?

a) The pneumonia also caused a massive infected pleural effusion.  I had basically three liters of infected fluid crushing down on my lung, they put a tube in my back to drain it all out (second picture in the spoilers) so I've got a healing puncture wound in my back, and they messed up putting it in and curled it, so it tore up my back muscles coming out a bit.  It's sore, gonna take a couple of weeks to recover properly.

b ) nope, I moved out on the 4th of last month, and then promptly got sick on the 6th.  It's been a wild ride!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dalish said:

a) The pneumonia also caused a massive infected pleural effusion.  I had basically three inches of infected fluid crushing down on my lung, they put a tube in my back to drain it all out (second picture in the spoilers) so I've got a healing puncture wound in my back, and they messed up putting it in and curled it, so it tore up my back muscles coming out a bit.  It's sore, gonna take a couple of weeks to recover properly.

b ) nope, I moved out on the 4th of last month, and then promptly got sick on the 6th.  It's been a wild ride!

Ah. Didn't realize the drain was in your back because I didn't look at the photos. My mother had a drain in her side and it was gross as hell. Booo on them for fucking it up but it sounds like it'll fix itself and not leave permanent damage? 

Hooray for moving out! Awesome news, less awesome timing. 

• Like 1

Just now, fleaball said:

Ah. Didn't realize the drain was in your back because I didn't look at the photos. My mother had a drain in her side and it was gross as hell. Booo on them for fucking it up but it sounds like it'll fix itself and not leave permanent damage? 

Hooray for moving out! Awesome news, less awesome timing. 

Yeah there shouldn't be any permanent damage at all.  It's gonna leave my muscles all bleh and I'm gonna need to work on some strength building.  I'm trying to find that balance between not overdoing it and not lying in bed all day letting my muscles atrophy, which is proving to be challenging but I think I'm doing okay.  And then I'm gonna have to dabble in some yoga or something for some gentle muscle strengthening without much impact in a few weeks.

And yes :D  it's very nice to have my own space, I've got a cute little 2 bedroom apartment I'm paying 200 a week for, which isn't bad at all really.  I have enough to pay my bills and eat a reasonably varied vegetarian diet, which is all I really want.  Meat is expensive and I find I don't really enjoy it at all, so I don't miss it.  Once I'm finally all unpacked and not healing, I feel like I'm in a place to really start finding some zen :) 

• Like 2

The thing about recovery I'm slowly remembering as I spend more time at my home:  I live alone now, if I wanna take a nap and rest, then eat dinner in the middle of the night, I totally can.

Productive in the long run?  Nope!  But right now it's all about the present, tomorrow me can worry about my sleep pattern.

• Like 2

It's windy out there.  There's a big blowy thing happening on the east coast/southern states around Melbourne, which is a long ol way away, but think we're getting a bit of the wind this way.  

• Like 1

I'm having washing machine issues.  This is what happens when your Dad magically finds a washing machine for you.  I should've told him no and sorted it out myself. As it is, I can't get it to finish a cycle.  Which tells me that the stabilisers on the drum are probably trashed.  Which means there's a large hunk of junk in my bathroom, and I'm irritated about it.

• Like 2

An hour of poking, manual searching and turning it off and on again later, there's a blockage in the drainage hose.  Which means I have to empty as much of the 7l of bleach water out of the drum as possible into the sink, so I can disconnect the drainage hose without it trashing all over the floor, find the blockage, clear it, replace the hose and then run it again.  My father, however, thinks this should be resolved by turning it on and off again ONE MORE TIME.

giphy.gif

I swear to all things sacred, I'm going to strangle him.  

I'm too worn down tonight to be dealing with this shit.  I'm not fucking around with the jug and the washing machine drum unless my frustration really outdoes itself.  Right now I'm simmering on agitated.  I would like ONE DAY to go smoothly.  I was having a GOOD day before now.  I was feeling much better, I spent the day on the couch instead of in bed, I got a little cleaning done.  Things were going okay.  But oh no, heaven forbid Dalish have a calm, nothing-going-wrong Sunday!  

giphy.gif 

• Sad 3

An hour of poking, manual searching and turning it off and on again later, there's a blockage in the drainage hose.  Which means I have to empty as much of the 7l of bleach water out of the drum as possible into the sink, so I can disconnect the drainage hose without it trashing all over the floor, find the blockage, clear it, replace the hose and then run it again.  My father, however, thinks this should be resolved by turning it on and off again ONE MORE TIME.

giphy.gif

I swear to all things sacred, I'm going to strangle him.  

I'm too worn down tonight to be dealing with this shit.  I'm not fucking around with the jug and the washing machine drum unless my frustration really outdoes itself.  Right now I'm simmering on agitated.  I would like ONE DAY to go smoothly.  I was having a GOOD day before now.  I was feeling much better, I spent the day on the couch instead of in bed, I got a little cleaning done.  Things were going okay.  But oh no, heaven forbid Dalish have a calm, nothing-going-wrong Sunday!  

giphy.gif 
I am a strong believer to throw money at problems from time to time... can you call a workperson for it?
You are still recovering and your dad doesn't seem of much help

2 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

I am a strong believer to throw money at problems from time to time... can you call a workperson for it?
You are still recovering and your dad doesn't seem of much help

Unfortunately my finances are stretched to their limitations, there aren't funds to hire any help with it, so it's gonna be a diy job.

It shouldn't be TOO difficult overall, it's more the annoyance of yet another thing not going smoothly than anything else