• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Taffythecat

Taffythecat builds habits

Hey all, it's been forever since I posted here so I'm starting fresh. I've always posted in the Rangers, and while posting there may have reflected what I was trying to improve a year ago, it's not really relevant to me anymore. I had a quick scan through the guilds and I couldn't decide where to post, so I decided on posting here.

Goal 1: Fitness

For this one I'm keeping it simple as I get in the flow. Whenever I run even a little bit I feel like an old person because my ankles, knees, etc. are always sore afterwards. I bike a lot, I walk a lot, but I never run or jog. There's a "hill" near my house that is not steep at all and only goes up a meter or two, and some straight areas to run on before and after it, so I'm just going to run up the hill and down the straight areas before it every day to start with. I'll probably increase the intensity of this one later.

Goal 2: Hydration

I've never drank enough water. Ever. The other day I counted how many glasses of water or juice I drank the whole day, and it was only 5 for both combined. They say you should drink 8 glasses per day, but I think it would be good if I drank more than that since it's very hot outside where I live right now. My goal is to drink 8 or more glasses of water per day. Juice, tea, etc. can substitute a glass of water if I want, but I'll limit my consumption of them. I'm just going to stay away from soda as best I can, since I've never really drank much of it I don't feel the need to set a limit.

Goal 3: Nail-biting

Pretty weird goal compared to the others, but it's still important no matter how out of place it is. Ever since I was a little kid I've chewed on my nails. I do it without even thinking about it. It sounds awful, but I never have to cut my nails since I just rip off the white parts with my teeth when they get too long. I can't imagine how bad this is for me and my poor fingers that do so much for me, so I'm going to find a way to quit. Right now I have my right pinky as the "forbidden finger" which means I can't chew it at all, or even bring my mouth near it. So far it's working okay, but I still don't feel 100% comfortable not chewing it so I'll leave it until I feel comfortable, and then I'll add a new finger. Then another. By the end of the challenge I hope to have all the fingers on my right hand done this way.

Goal 4: Screen time

I spend way too much time on my phone. Not doing anything useful, just wasting time on Reddit, Youtube, or playing pool. My daily average is around 6 or 7 hours, and my day consists of mostly working, being on my phone, eating, and sleeping. It's ridiculous. I want to spend my time reading, making maps (love doing that), hanging out with my cats, anything that doesn't involve the internet every second of my life. My new time limit is 4 hours per day. I do use my phone for playing music and that sort of thing, so I won't count that in.

That's about it. I know most of my goals aren't terribly unique from a lot of people's, but you have to start somewhere. Thanks for reading, and I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Taffy

• Like 4

Hey all, it's been forever since I posted here so I'm starting fresh. I've always posted in the Rangers, and while posting there may have reflected what I was trying to improve a year ago, it's not really relevant to me anymore. I had a quick scan through the guilds and I couldn't decide where to post, so I decided on posting here.

Goal 1: Fitness

For this one I'm keeping it simple as I get in the flow. Whenever I run even a little bit I feel like an old person because my ankles, knees, etc. are always sore afterwards. I bike a lot, I walk a lot, but I never run or jog. There's a "hill" near my house that is not steep at all and only goes up a meter or two, and some straight areas to run on before and after it, so I'm just going to run up the hill and down the straight areas before it every day to start with. I'll probably increase the intensity of this one later.

Goal 2: Hydration

I've never drank enough water. Ever. The other day I counted how many glasses of water or juice I drank the whole day, and it was only 5 for both combined. They say you should drink 8 glasses per day, but I think it would be good if I drank more than that since it's very hot outside where I live right now. My goal is to drink 8 or more glasses of water per day. Juice, tea, etc. can substitute a glass of water if I want, but I'll limit my consumption of them. I'm just going to stay away from soda as best I can, since I've never really drank much of it I don't feel the need to set a limit.

Goal 3: Nail-biting

Pretty weird goal compared to the others, but it's still important no matter how out of place it is. Ever since I was a little kid I've chewed on my nails. I do it without even thinking about it. It sounds awful, but I never have to cut my nails since I just rip off the white parts with my teeth when they get too long. I can't imagine how bad this is for me and my poor fingers that do so much for me, so I'm going to find a way to quit. Right now I have my right pinky as the "forbidden finger" which means I can't chew it at all, or even bring my mouth near it. So far it's working okay, but I still don't feel 100% comfortable not chewing it so I'll leave it until I feel comfortable, and then I'll add a new finger. Then another. By the end of the challenge I hope to have all the fingers on my right hand done this way.

Goal 4: Screen time

I spend way too much time on my phone. Not doing anything useful, just wasting time on Reddit, Youtube, or playing pool. My daily average is around 6 or 7 hours, and my day consists of mostly working, being on my phone, eating, and sleeping. It's ridiculous. I want to spend my time reading, making maps (love doing that), hanging out with my cats, anything that doesn't involve the internet every second of my life. My new time limit is 4 hours per day. I do use my phone for playing music and that sort of thing, so I won't count that in.

That's about it. I know most of my goals aren't terribly unique from a lot of people's, but you have to start somewhere. Thanks for reading, and I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Taffy

I like your stop nail biting goal. I thought I wanted to do the same, but nearly put my fingers in my mouth when reading it! I find that if I use a nail file I bite less because what I hate is asymmetric nails!

Great challenge and goals Taffy.

I also had trouble drinking enough water and getting the "8 glasses a day" what helped me was getting 2 big ass 1L waterbottles. One for my desk at work and one for home that I keep near the water dispenser. I try to drink 2 a day. At first I had to remind myself to drink and now I am good to go. If your 8 glasses doesn't work it might be worth a try.  

Love the approach of taking things slowly, I personally fall into the trap of trying to do too much and once and then failing spectacularly. 

So one finger at first for nail biting and reducing screen time a little at a time sounds like a really good plan!