Character Class: Rogue 

Hey sports fans, fellow cool-cats, and...snickers-bars...? (I couldn't think of anything great-sounding for the last one, heehe!) 

Friendly neighborhood Tabby-Cat, here! (^__~)

Ya know, I almost forgot I joined this website. Golly. I was a major lurker for the longest time!

WELL YA KNOW WHAT?

I lurk no more! *Cue confetti, falling from ceiling, much fanfare* WOOT!

In my bid to 'get my shiz together' (Which reaches it's height every new year, and rolls around every few months) I have decided to become an active member of a bunch of different forums, including this one! YAY!

It's a way to keep myself accountable, I guess ya could say. Not to mention, it helps hone my writing skills and develop the discipline of writing every day (Which I'm trying to get better at, ESPECIALLY since I finally started a blog!)

I wanna keep myself accountable not just for fitness, though. But also for every other aspect of life. So, I'll probably gripe about the occasional thing and talk about my addiction to all things coffee related *Nervous gulp*...it's uh...*Eye twitch* A problem. *Eyes nearby empty coffee cup* 

But, back to fitness!

I'm a gal who definitely could be described as 'Skinny-Fat'. At 5' 2'', and 106 pounds, I've been told I look like a- well, like a gust of wind could blow me over, heheh! Not a lotta toughness in these ol' arms of mine!

My boss frequently says, "You're killin' me, smalls."

*Makes huffy sound* 

So my goal is to get toned, (^__^) 

To get a little muscle on me, ya know? And to DEFINITELY stop eating like a bear preparing for winter. I.E. Enough pizza to kill a hippo. 

And this site is full of so many wise, intelligent peeps, I know I'm gonna learn a lot from you all, on the way! And hopefully I can entertain with some of my adventures~

*Raises sword in the air, staggering beneath its weight* O-oof!

• Like 2

OH LAWD. 

(O__O) 

Peeps.

Peeps. 

I'm so out of shape! *Gasps weakly and falls onto floor like a starfish*

(Health Bar: 30%)

This is ALL I've done so far, today:

(1.) 100 Side Leg-Lifts.
(2.) 100 Sit Ups.
(3.) 100 Arm Lifts.
(4.) Ran For Fifteen Minutes.

And lemme tell ya, I feel like I've been chased by a Rhino. Down an alley. While dodging arrow-shooting archers. 

Of course- err- some of this might have something to do with my TERRIBLE SCHEDULE. *Blushes* 

So, I've been going to bed at 8:00 p.m. and getting up at.... midnight.

I know, I know, it's kinda bad for me, but hey? What's a rogue with three different jobs to do?

Golly. After all, *Begins ticking off occupations with fingers* sneaking, espionage, spy-stuff....takes time, ya know?

*Winks* (^__~) 

But of course it's necessary- I NEED my own hideout (i.e. apartment) 

And I know it's gonna be worth it, in the end! *Cheers* WOOT!! 

Also, I'm gonna tell on myself a little, here: So far I've had pringles, an egg sandwich (With lots of cheese) and smore-flavored coffee with whip cream. *Impish grin* But, um, hey! It goes with my rogue-ish persona, right? 

My goal is DEFINITELY to eat healthier, though! And to switch job schedules around a little to something that works a liiiittle bit better, for me!

• Like 3

(On Break At job #2, so thought I’d post a quick update! WOOT!)

...I think my boss at this job is one of the most hilarious peeps I’ve ever met, heheh! X D 

He’s actually a pastor of a church, when he’s not managing at the retail store I work at; and today’s banter went like this: 

Boss: ...Late again I see? (ಠ_ಠ)

Me: *Skipping in* Yep! But I made it within our ten-minute leeway time, so it’s okay~ (^__^) 

Boss: ...(ಠ___ಠ)

Me: *Gulps, nervously* Ya know that Bible passage, sir? The one that says to ‘Turn the other cheek..?’ Heheh... (^__^’’)

Boss: (ಠ___ಠ)

Me: (^___^)

Boss: *Sighs dramatically* I suppose you’re the cross I have to bear, smalls.

Me: H-HEY! 

(Note: Lateness is DEF an issue with me- something I’m tryin’ to fix! A lot of the time, my jobs overlap just a liiiittle, unfortunately! X P )

• Like 1

I consider myself a "Collector of Stories". 

I love listening to people, ya know? (^__^) Learning from others, and having someone tell me a piece of their story.

*Cheers* That's the spice of life!

And I feel like I've been blessed to know so many awesome peeps- A lot of epic mentors, acquaintances, friends, etc. 

One of these people is a fella by the name of Bill, who's always sitting at the local coffee shop I visit. 

He's always in the same spot- in the booth closest to the door- and he kinda reminds me of an ostrich, appearance-wise!

A very severe lookin' fellow, with a beaky nose and ruffled, graying hair.

And, even though I don't think it's allowed, he's always lighting cigarettes in the shop!

There's somethin' kinda cool about it though, and I can tell he is a man who has seen some shiz. He's like that neat uncle who always tells cool stories at parties, but who everyone in the family kind of avoids. X D 

I'm not sure how it got started (Maybe because I visit the coffee place pretty often, and he's there every day)

-But one day I just saw him and went, "Hey sir!" 

He grunted, in response.

And ever since then, he'll kind of chime in when I have conversations with the baristas, offering mumbled, sage wisdom. : D 

Today, he spoke more then usual, and I thought I'd share it here:

"Hey kid," He says, as I'm heading out the door, "Word of advice." 

I pause.

"Don't wait for life to find you." He looked at me over the top of his newspaper, "YOU go out and FIND LIFE. Don't think about it. Just act." -He turned the page, and I watched his brow furrow, "A lot of people just sit around and act like they think life is going to find them. And it doesn't work that way." 

He put the paper down, lighting a cigarette, "Though it'd sure be a hell of a lot easier if it did."

And that was exactly the advice I needed to hear, in that moment. 

~

Totally not fitness related at all. But motivation-wise, it totally fit!

• Like 3

Maaaan. *Huffs* U-um...

Working with the public is rough sometimes, folks!

(Especially at my main job, where I interact with the most people!)

I get to see the very best...and the very worst of humanity.

Oh sure, it's interesting as heck! And I always have nifty stories to tell people! (^__^) The time that a customer set the sleeve of his jacket on fire, for instance (Don't worry, we put the fella out!) or the time that a lady came into the store with pants that uh...*Coughs, awkwardly* 

*Blushes* ...Well, let's just say that the uh, back of her pants exposed her...a little... 

And don't get me started on the time that an angry customer threw muffins at my coworker, because we'd brought her the wrong kind.

It's wild, it's fun. 

And, sometimes, it's heartbreaking. 

I look at everybody as a potential friend. A pal. A buddy! 

And that makes it all the more difficult when somebody hateful rolls in, like a dark freakin' stormcloud with the 'emotional range of a teaspoon' (Harry Potter reference for the win, heehee.) I realize that sounds mean. But I guess I feel like being mean, for once, dang it. 

It started with the fella at the front end of the store, there to pick up an item. I recognized him right away as a guy who insulted my coworker once, saying, "Look I know you work for- name of company, here- but try to use your BRAIN." 

And immediately I steeled myself for potential rudeness.

He started in right away, "I see you're still here." (Meaning that I still work for the company) 

I grin and say, "Oh! I switched departments! I love my new area!"

He goes, "No you didn't, you're still here." 

(MISTER did I stutter?) 

I decide not to respond, just grin, and chirp out a, "Gimme just a sec! I'll grab your item for ya!"

~

Later on, I had a woman I was trying to help find some backpacks go, "You know, I think I'm going to take my business elsewhere, no offence. But this store is WAY too expensive," She growled at me, "And you workers are SUCH A PAIN to find! Why aren't there MORE of you?" She glared at me like I was personally responsible for our hiring process.

By chance- another woman I frequently see in-store was walking by, and she waved, stopping as she heard what the angry woman was saying,

"-Oh, don't be mean to her," My friend responded, "It's not her fault- she's just trying to help."

I was so grateful. And the angry lady was so startled that another customer defended me, she got flustered and went quiet.

(>___<) 

Finally, I had a fella (Who already seemed agitated) come up to me and ask me why we were out of a certain product.

I say, politely and apologetically, "Oh! I'm so sorry about that, I know how frustrating it is. The company is bad at ordering enough-"

"It's not the COMPANY-" He cuts in, angrily, losing his temper, "It's YOU. You're- you're FICKLE!" 

Blaming me for something out of my control? 

Well, I'm ashamed to say I burst into tears. 

I TRIED not to. I really did! Tried to summon my inner devil-may-care cheeriness. But my lips quivered and there I was, sniffling, voice breaking as I say, "I-I-I'm s-sorry-"

His wife was behind him, and she became horrified,

"YOU Made her CRY!" She said to her husband, clearly upset with him. She turned on her heel and walked away from him, as he stood there shell-shocked, clearly still angry (But also very scared at my reaction.) 

I went to my department, and one of the sweet fellas on the stocking team (A sweet, teddy bear of a man who's huge, seven feet tall, with a heart of gold) hugged me and offered to go out and- I quote- "Beat the bastard outta the guy" 

~

Reading over this, I realize that the number of sweet peeps I'm surrounded by totally outnumber the mean folks. 

But man, peeps, sometimes the mean ones seem so loud.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TabbyCat said:

But man, peeps, sometimes the mean ones seem so loud.

I feel you there. Working in retail is not easy. Glad you've got some good people around who've got your back. :) 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I feel you there. Working in retail is not easy. Glad you've got some good people around who've got your back. :) 

Ooh gurl, YAS. You can say that again!

Sometimes I feel like being a ranch-hand and herding buffalo (on some great plains... in the middle of a thunderstorm) might be easier, LOL.

• Like 1

You have to learn to seperate things that you can't do anything about(it's not your fault, shit sometimes happens) and things that you can. If stuff is out of stock - the only answer you can give is that the delivery hasn't come yet. People have been chasing me on why the office oolong tea is out of stock, I just said by the contract we get 6 pkts of tea every month. If we run out, well too bad, that's it. I don't have the authority to order more. And I also can't chase the vendor unless they have not delivered after the first week of the month. 

• Like 1
On 9/2/2019 at 11:32 PM, TabbyCat said:

Reading over this, I realize that the number of sweet peeps I'm surrounded by totally outnumber the mean folks. 

I love the cheeriness that perspires from your writings. Being the face of the company for the worst people who'll take it on you is hard. Enjoy the good ones and congrats on having such a nice ambiance with (some of?) your colleagues. You look like a pretty awesome team.

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

Also one thing I've found out about having busy schedules. Try to slip bits of body weight exercises here and there. Like roll out of bed, drop down do 10 push ups. Then 30 burpees. Go make breakfast. While you're waiting for your breakfast to reheat, do another 10 push ups. After eating breakfast and about to get changed, go drop down and do another 10. Head to work.

Having a block of time where you can do everything at once can be a luxury. So it's like I walk next to my clothes rack to hang clothes. Before I get started, I make a leap for the bar and deadhang as long as I can. After you finish hanging your clothes, you can do it again =) 

Or when you do a potty break, do 10 body weight squats in the restroom. No one's gonna see anyway. 

• Like 2
On 9/3/2019 at 8:12 PM, Mortimer said:

You have to learn to seperate things that you can't do anything about(it's not your fault, shit sometimes happens) and things that you can. If stuff is out of stock - the only answer you can give is that the delivery hasn't come yet. People have been chasing me on why the office oolong tea is out of stock, I just said by the contract we get 6 pkts of tea every month. If we run out, well too bad, that's it. I don't have the authority to order more. And I also can't chase the vendor unless they have not delivered after the first week of the month. 

That's a really good point, Mortimer! (>__<)

And- um- somethin' I definitely struggle with. I have a tendency to kinda take on everything as my responsibility (Even when it's totes NOT, lol) Even one of my managers has realized this, and he teases me about it sometimes, telling one of my coworkers, "Just worry about this for now. We'll let Tabby worry about the rest of the world." *Blush* 

I think it's cruddy that they are bugging you about the tea, for gosh sake! That's definitely not your fault! (O__O)

• Like 1
On 9/3/2019 at 10:01 PM, Jean said:

I love the cheeriness that perspires from your writings. Being the face of the company for the worst people who'll take it on you is hard. Enjoy the good ones and congrats on having such a nice ambiance with (some of?) your colleagues. You look like a pretty awesome team.

Heheh! Thank ya, Jean! (^__^) 

And you're right! I love my coworkers (Well...um, almost all of em'!) Together, with our different strengths and personalities, we're a lot like your typical band of video-game adventurers, LOL. 

I'm the peppy, crazy, energetic pipsqueak of the team! Even though I'm not as strong as some of the fellas (Or other gals, for that matter) they usually have me handle all the customer interactions and moral-boosting stuff! *Happy squeals* AND because I'm usually the one busy with customers, I get to miss a lot of the work meetings...(Heehee.) 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, TabbyCat said:

I have a tendency to kinda take on everything as my responsibility

That's a good thing if you ask me. I tend to see everything as my responsability too because, well, in some way, it is: if I have the means to change it, then not changing it is a choice, the choice of finding it's allright or of prioritizing other things that I couldn't do if I was busy saving the rest of the world. The trick is: pretty often, the best way to exert our responsability is by letting others learn from their own mistakes/shortcomings and leave them to solve their problems. Whatever makes us happy is where we should put our priority.

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

17 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Also one thing I've found out about having busy schedules. Try to slip bits of body weight exercises here and there. Like roll out of bed, drop down do 10 push ups. Then 30 burpees. Go make breakfast. While you're waiting for your breakfast to reheat, do another 10 push ups. After eating breakfast and about to get changed, go drop down and do another 10. Head to work.

Having a block of time where you can do everything at once can be a luxury. So it's like I walk next to my clothes rack to hang clothes. Before I get started, I make a leap for the bar and deadhang as long as I can. After you finish hanging your clothes, you can do it again =) 

Or when you do a potty break, do 10 body weight squats in the restroom. No one's gonna see anyway. 

I love this idea, Morty! (And I'm def gonna try to implement this in my daily schedule~) ^__^ 

-Although, I just had a silly mental image of losing balance while in the restroom, and whacking my head on the wall! (>__O) (EEK) 

1 hour ago, Jean said:

That's a good thing if you ask me. I tend to see everything as my responsability too because, well, in some way, it is: if I have the means to change it, then not changing it is a choice, the choice of finding it's allright or of prioritizing other things that I couldn't do if I was busy saving the rest of the world. The trick is: pretty often, the best way to exert our responsability is by letting others learn from their own mistakes/shortcomings and leave them to solve their problems. Whatever makes us happy is where we should put our priority.

That is some really good advice! I think that's a really good way to look at it, too- because allowing others to work on their own mistakes and problems gives them an opportunity to grow! : ) 

• Like 1

And speaking of work stuff-

I thought I'd mention something cute that happened at work, today! (^__^) 

My role at Job #1 is to give customers items that they've ordered online! So, say you've ordered groceries online, or a computer, video game, etc. You would arrive at my place of employment, park outside, and I'd give ya your item! (Cool beans, huh?)

Whelp, for some reason my coworkers are a little- um- worried about me potentially getting kidnapped. (>__<) *Huffs*

I don't know why. But I think it has somethin' to do with how I interact with people. A customer is never just a customer, to me, (Because I kinda feel that the customer service suffers if ya start treatin' people like just another order to take care of!) And well I...I like talking to people! There's nothing more fun to me than seeing if I can get somebody to laugh as they're picking an item up! X D 

Buuut- I guess if I'm honest, there have been times where they've had to say "Hey, Tabs, can ya come back and help us with this?" -Because I'll be outside with a customer, talking away with them for way longer than I should be!

SO anywhoo. Today, I had a fella arrive to pick up several grocery items.

He's an older gentleman, about the age of my grandfather, and was super nice! 

And somehow we started talking about Pokémon Go!! He's an avid player, has all the rare pokemon, and I think he got a kick out of my amazed reactions at all of the rare catches he'd found. 

And uh, since there weren't any other customers....I ended up talking to the fella for about an HOUR.

At one point- as the dude was showing me a snorlax that he'd caught at the local library- I happened to look back at the door leading into my work area...

And I saw one of my coworkers standing there, watching worriedly. He (My coworker, who I'll call Joe) comes outside and gives this customer the most intense, scrutinizing look. "Everything going okay?" Joe asks, striding up to stand next to me.

(I should mention Joe looked like he was gonna open up a can of whoop-butt)

Joe is one of those individuals I like to call a 'work dad' because he's older than most of us, and keeps us grounded when it's a tough work day. He's also the voice of reason a lot of the time. If I had to pick a class for the guy, I think he'd be either a monk or a druid. (^__^)

The customer grins, but the poor guy looks a tad concerned at my coworker's coldness. "Yes indeed! Everything's fine!" 

"He was just showing me his pokemon Go, Pokémon collection!" I say cheerily, wishing that Joe would stop giving me that "Concerned dad look". 

Customer thanks us and leaves, and Joe informed me that HE, a friend of mine who works in Produce section, AND another coworker, had been taking turns keeping a look-out for me when the customer and I had been talking!! 

Well, I was caught between my heart melting at the sweetness of this, and also being bewildered that they were so darn worried!! 

"It's not like the fella was gonna throw me into his van!"

"Uh huh. Sure Tabs, the guy could be anybody." 

"
But- but- all he did was show me Pokémon..." 

"Probably to get you to trust him." 

LOL. We bantered like this back and forth on the way back in. D X

Maybe if I get buff they'll trust me to be by myself more, hahah! 

• Like 3

Chair squat:

https://www.dummies.com/health/exercise/how-to-do-chair-squats/

Put the toilet seat cover down(assuming it's a seating toilet) and squat away =P

On a more serious note, there was this fitness assessment before, and one of the stations was to do chair squats. I did knock out quite a good number in a single minute. 

It's good that your Co-workers are looking out for you, it's the natural Dad instinct. Even my parents would get worried if I come back late/go to a nature reserve by myself for a run.

Yep we're the same height but I'm a bit heavier then you are(114 lbish) 

If you want to get a real fool proof way of dealing with it, get into a martial arts class then throw them to the floor a couple of times once you've been trained. That would work lol. 

Or check if any of them have any training in martial arts, who knows they might be able to teach you a few things =o

• Like 2

I missed where the chair squats came in, but in your old age (or if your back goes out) getting in and out of chairs becomes a big deal.

If you’re already in the habit of treating chairs and toilets like chair squats (aka box squats), then it likely won’t ever be an issue for you.

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

5 hours ago, TabbyCat said:

LOL. We bantered like this back and forth on the way back in. D X

You've got some good coworkers. :) 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Chair squat:

https://www.dummies.com/health/exercise/how-to-do-chair-squats/

Put the toilet seat cover down(assuming it's a seating toilet) and squat away =P

On a more serious note, there was this fitness assessment before, and one of the stations was to do chair squats. I did knock out quite a good number in a single minute. 

I can't believe I've never heard of chair squats before! I feel like I've been under a rock, but I'm glad to know about them now! (And I'm def gonna start doing them in my daily routine~) ^__^ 'Specially since they seem like a quick, easy exercise!

And yess- I've been wanting to look into martial arts for a while, now! I think self defense is good for everyone to know, of course, but the other day, one of my fellow female coworkers picked me up and swung me around (Not in a violent way- in a hug, LOL. Although I did hear a small crack from my rib area EEK)

-And I realized....woah.
-It'd be easy for somebody to just um...carry me away! X D So I'm definitely gonna look into it.

Sweet Jesus, Joseph, Mary, Buddha, Joan Of Arc...*Continues like this for some time*

YOU GUYS. 

(O___O) 

I think I just fought a MAIN BOSS. 

There was a spider in my room. 

And not just a measly little puddin' of a spider, NO. He was not a little teapot, short and stout.

This was a Mac Daddy of spiders. This was The Elder Spider.

If he'd been in a book, he'd have an epic name like Grimmval or Einhardth. 

And- gosh dang it- I DO consider myself a pacifist- even where spiders are concerned, 'cause I know they're good for the environment! 

BUT YOU GUYS I *Flinches* I PANICKED.

And I- *Gulps* well, I...threw a shoe at him.

I think at least it was over quickly, and um, he didn't suffer or anythin'. (The thought, even for a hulking spider, makes me feel cruddy) 

Plus 600 reluctant experience points. 

You guys, what if he has grand-spiders who come after me, like assassins bent on revenge? 

(O__O) *Shudder*

• Like 2