• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Red1263

Moving to a new city

Hey hey everyone, I'm going to be moving on my own very soon and I'm shifting from a "eating left overs and whatever the family has provided" to a "I have to cook and prep everything for one"

I can cook (or follow a recipe, to be exact) but my concerns are trying to eat healthy as I start to adjust to my new life and not rely too heavily on fast food as I start off my new life. 

Any and all advice is appreciated

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Welcome back! I'll give advice later, I just saw your post and wanted to say hi.

Hey hey! I've missed you too! Sorry I haven't been around much... or at all. 

• Like 1

That sounds exciting! I don't have any specific meal suggestions, but a couple of general habits/tips to keep in mind:

- write out your meal plan on pen & paper, put it on your fridge

- eat the same breakfast every day

- make 2-4 servings per 'main' recipe, keep one portion as leftovers/lunch for sometime that same week, freeze the rest in portions (sometimes you won't feel like cooking)

- from your meal plan, write out your grocery list for the whole week; going to the shop once a week will save you from impulse shopping during little 'pickup' trips

- frozen veg are a great, economical option: stock up! you can just microwave it in a bowl, don't buy any special 'steamer' bags

- protein powder and frozen berries are an easy/instant meal replacement when you can't be bothered but you still want to eat well (add some nut butter for extra creamy results)

- make sure any snack includes protein & fruit/veg; eg. apple & peanut butter, carrot & hummus, cheese & cucumber, handful of almonds & orange, etc.

- give yourself permission to take some shortcuts (ie. don't make yourself crazy), for example: jar of curry sauce + meat or beans + frozen veg = instant food

- you can elevate ramen into a 'kinda sorta real food' with a couple of eggs & frozen green peas with some hot sauce on top

- if you don't have a plan for the ingredient, don't buy it! this will save you from buying spinach with good intensions and ending up with a slimy mess in the fridge ;)

Have fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My biggest lifesaver living alone is my slow cooker.  Set it and forget it is fabulous for getting me through those days where I don't have the energy to 'cook'.  And the amount of recipes out there is insane.  Either a slow cooker or an instant pot is always my #1 recommendation for living alone and keeping healthier.

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2019 at 4:03 AM, Dalish said:

My biggest lifesaver living alone is my slow cooker.  Set it and forget it is fabulous for getting me through those days where I don't have the energy to 'cook'.  And the amount of recipes out there is insane.  Either a slow cooker or an instant pot is always my #1 recommendation for living alone and keeping healthier.

Thank you Dalish! I will definitely look into investing in that!