Hey folks!  I've been reading NF blog posts for a few months now and finally decided to take the plunge and join the Rebellion and the Academy!

A little background (sorry this got longer than I expected!):

In 2007 I decided to start working out.  I was 145 lbs (I'm 5'3" with a small frame so that's a lot for me) and not ready to change my diet.  I had a wonderful personal trainer at the gym who taught me proper form and good compound exercises.  I owe a lot to him!  I became a workout nut--personal training twice a week, cardio 3-4 times a week.  I lost 30 lbs and was in the best shape of my life!  Because I didn't change my diet (at the beginning anyway, as I progressed I made better choices to back up the work I was putting in), it took two years to lose the 30 lbs.  I loved it--I could do pull-ups, decline push-ups, squat more than my original weight.

Then in 2009 when I was at my peak, my life fell apart and I stopped working out entirely.  It was a difficult time, but I got through it.

Since that time, I have not been able to get motivated to exercise.  Over the next 9 years I got back to 145.  I thank my parents for the good metabolism that it took that long.

In February (2019) I unconsciously started making changes to my diet.  In mid-March, I realized this and started a concerted effort back to healthiness.  I was gung-ho!  I'm gonna work out 6 days a week again, I'm going to be super strong again!  I am no longer a member of a gym, but I know enough bodyweight exercises and have some dumbbells and other equipment so I did my strength training at home this time.  And this time, apparently I AM ready to change my diet!

The hard-core working out lasted about 6-7 weeks and then I got sick.  Then I had other stuff taking up time in my life for a few days.  It was enough to derail the exercise regimen but not the dietary changes.  And when I realized I was still losing weight without working out, I really lost my motivation to work out.

I'm down to 120 now and very happy with that!  At work, a couple people have been inspired by my weight loss and are starting to make good changes in their lives too.  I didn't start out thinking that I could be inspirational so that was a pleasant surprise!

I started playing Harry Potter Wizards Unite in late June, and starting in early August I really started walking more.  Gotta unlock those portkeys!

But I'm not strong.  I'm only halfway to the goal.

My current status is:  I need and want to strength train, but I'm having trouble getting myself to actually do it.  I'm sure plenty understand that.  So over the last few days I've been really reading a ton on NF and as I said above, I have taken the plunge!  I'm working my way through the mindset quests and I'm getting stuck on the Batcave.  Since I'm doing fine with what I eat now, I'm keeping my goals fitness related.  The only two environmental changes I've been able to think of are:  1. keep the box fan out and accessible (one less step to do before working out) and 2. bring more food (especially good protein) to work so that I'm not so exhausted when I get home that I don't have the energy to work out.  Haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to do that second one.  I haven't been able to get into batch cooking because I'm not a fan of leftovers.

Any suggestions on changes I can make to my Batcave?  Any advice to get my butt in gear and start the bodyweight workout?

Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

Hey there! There's a small business by me that makes healthy meals (already cooked) AND protein bites, so I would definitely suggest looking around your area for a business like that because while I'm certain both of us know how to eat right and how to cook, it's not always feasible given life circumstances.

As for getting stronger, is lifting what you love? I don't actually love lifting so it's hard for me to motivate myself to do it. I prefer kickboxing. Maybe there's something else out there you'd prefer more that would be easier to find the motivation to do?

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

Thanks for the response and the suggestion about the pre-cooked meals/snacks.  I've tried a few things similar to that, but each time I end up deciding I prefer cooking.  Plus, I just had $2,700 in unexpected expenses (my parked car was hit w/no note and my cat had to go to the hospital for a couple nights) so I am doing everything I can to not spend unless absolutely necessary.

As for lifting, yes I do enjoy it.  I used the Academy workouts for several weeks and then started creating my own based on exercises in the level I'm at.  I do enjoy them, it's just a matter of actually doing it!  On Sunday I was ready to work out for an hour and didn't do it.  It took a random text from my old personal trainer about something not exercise related to get me into action.  And of course, I was glad I did it!

• Like 1