• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost's Fantastically Fancy 5x5 Food Fandango

On 9/15/2019 at 8:59 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Luckily I have a liberal forgiveness policy and so there isn't any actual penalty for failure. 

:D

Interesting handstand discussion in here that helped remind me that my prescriptivist gymnastics background about how things should be learned isn't always the most helpful for everyone. :)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

If constructive feedback is helpful

Yes please! All the constructive feedback! YouTube tutorials are great for giving information but useless about telling me what I am doing wrong. 

I will try to implement your feedback into today's sketch

13 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

And an almost fanatical devotion to the pope

This may take a bit longer to develop than the other three ;)

13 hours ago, raptron said:

Interesting handstand discussion in here that helped remind me that my prescriptivist gymnastics background about how things should be learned isn't always the most helpful for everyone. :)

I hope it doesn't stop you from adding to the discussion, though. I always appreciate your insights

• Like 1

Week 1 Tuesday

5x5 Food

Taco Tuesday so we did Chicken Enchiladas.  Not exactly a taco, but close enough this challenge :) They were OK, but definitely not the best ones I have made.  

ZgTiLzu.jpg

Sketching

I tried another apple today trying to incorporate the suggestions from @sarakingdom but it still looked all wrong.  I think I don't have a good enough idea of how light works to draw anything without a reference.  I didn't even bother taking a picture of it.  I think maybe I need to step further back on work on some even more basic shapes for a bit.  

Ukulele

I spent some time working on this week's song, especially trying to get the strumming patter to line up with the lyrics.  Reading lyrics, remembering the tune and getting the strumming right requires every ounce of concentration I can muster, because coordination is hard :D 

Proverbs

Today's proverb is 一叶扁舟 (Yi Ye Pian Zhou) which means completely alone (literally: a single leaf floating in the ocean)

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I spent some time working on this week's song, especially trying to get the strumming patter to line up with the lyrics.  Reading lyrics, remembering the tune and getting the strumming right requires every ounce of concentration I can muster, because coordination is hard :D 

What if you slow the tempo down a lot while learning, then slowly build the tempo back up to what was intended?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

What if you slow the tempo down a lot while learning, then slowly build the tempo back up to what was intended?

That actually doesn't help me at all.  In fact, it makes it worse because my brain has to actually focus on all of those things at the same time and I overload.  My strategy right now is to try work on memorizing the lyrics and chords and getting the strumming down to muscle memory so that I can be doing as much as possible in the background without consumer too much brain power.

• Like 1

Just want to mention that I relate. Was always quite terrible at doing shadows in my high school art class years ago. I am not exaggerating, everyone in my class was capable of doing it well & the teacher kept wondering why I was not getting it :p And I am generally quite alright in realistic drawing, or used to be anyway. 

It is generally a topic that is quite difficult to master, though. Lots of (graphic) artists distinguish themselves by their ability to shade realistically :) 

Edit: aaalthough this is not to stop you from continuing to improve, it's not impossible, and I get it's fun to get shading right 

• Like 1

Proverbs
Today's proverb is 一叶扁舟 (Yi Ye Pian Zhou) which means completely alone (literally: a single leaf floating in the ocean)

This gives me the shiver of something I long for and also a big fright.
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Just want to mention that I relate. Was always quite terrible at doing shadows in my high school art class years ago. I am not exaggerating, everyone in my class was capable of doing it well & the teacher kept wondering why I was not getting it :p And I am generally quite alright in realistic drawing, or used to be anyway. 

It is generally a topic that is quite difficult to master, though. Lots of (graphic) artists distinguish themselves by their ability to shade realistically :) 

Edit: aaalthough this is not to stop you from continuing to improve, it's not impossible, and I get it's fun to get shading right 

Ah, that is good to know.  All I have to compare against are people doing youtube tutorials so it's hard for me to gauge difficulty levels of what I am trying to learn

6 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

This gives me the shiver of something I long for and also a big fright.

I have kind of forgotten what it is to be alone

Week 1 Wednesday

5x5 Food

Today was steak day! 

vEa4URO.jpg

I used my regular technique and the flavor was awesome but the cuts of meat were really, really sub-par :( It is so hard to find good cuts of beef here.  When I was in the US over the summer I picked up a couple of random cuts at Walmart and they were higher quality than you see at most higher end steak houses here.

Sketching

I tried to watch some tutorials today but I just couldn't get youtube to come up.  Some days are like that.  Instead I took a picture of a ping pong ball and tried to draw that

07UO8zK.jpg

Ukulele

Another good practice session in today.  I have discovered that it is much more fun to practice when I have more things I can do, so this challenge has not only helped me to increase my repertoire, it is helping me to enjoy practicing more

Proverbs

Today's proverb is 暗淡无光 (An Dan Wu Guang) which indicates something that used to be bright but has now become very dim (e.g. the stars just before dawn)

• Like 4

23 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Love (yesterday's?) proverb!  That'd be a great meditation.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

It is so hard to find good cuts of beef here.  When I was in the US over the summer I picked up a couple of random cuts at Walmart and they were higher quality than you see at most higher end steak houses here.

Do you know why this is so? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Proverbs

Today's proverb is 暗淡无光 (An Dan Wu Guang) which indicates something that used to be bright but has now become very dim (e.g. the stars just before dawn)

What's the context where this one is used? Is it a negative-type connotation (where we would say something like 'the shine has worn off' or 'the honeymoon is over') or is it more like, this used to seem a very important problem/the biggest thing to focus on and now we have bigger fish to fry? or 'this too shall pass' or some other interpretation?

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, redgrill18 said:

Love (yesterday's?) proverb!  That'd be a great meditation.

Glad you liked it :) 

42 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Do you know why this is so? 

I suspect that it is primarily driven by two primary factors along with another lesser one:

1. inferior agricultural capability.  The Chinese have not really figured out how to ranch cattle in a way that produces high quality beef.  I suspect the processing methods are also equally inferior.  This is true not only for husbandry but also for horticulture.  The plots are smaller and less efficient, the equipment is inferior and modern techniques are not employed.

2. Following the "Mad Cow" scare, combined with widespread concerns about various illnesses transmitted from animal to human, the Chinese government has implemented extremely strict regulations and other controls to limit the importation of animals and animal products.  Any imported beef cannot be shipped pre-slaughtered, so the animals have to be shipped alive, and then kept in quarantine for a minimum of 3 months, but often it is much longer.  Even premium cattle that have been in a boat and then in a quarantine pen for months on end are not going to be producing the best beef.

The result of these is that most Chinese do not eat much beef and even those who do have little exposure to high quality cuts.  Because of this butchers are able to use all kind of tricks to improve profits and few have the experience to catch it.  For example, the cut that I prepared for Ghostlet today was labeled as "Premium Ribeye from Brazil"  I have no idea if was actually imported or if it came from a cow with Brazilian heritage (the laws here allow for such labeling) but the cut itself was absolutely not pure ribeye.  I don't know where the cuts came from, but they were not even from the same part of the cow and had been glued together with meat glue.  I think one of the pieces may have been a bit of ribeye, but the others were from parts that are only suitable for roasts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, sylph said:

What's the context where this one is used? Is it a negative-type connotation (where we would say something like 'the shine has worn off' or 'the honeymoon is over') or is it more like, this used to seem a very important problem/the biggest thing to focus on and now we have bigger fish to fry? or 'this too shall pass' or some other interpretation?

This has a negative connotation, and can be used to describe a person (Someone who is usually cheerful but is in a surly mood), a situation (someone gets in trouble at a party and now the mood is much more subdued), or it could be literal (unusually dreary weather).

• Like 2

On 9/19/2019 at 3:04 AM, KB Girl said:

interesting and frustrating!

Yes indeed

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm loving the proverbs! Are they all commonly used or are you just picking them out of a hat?

It's funny you should ask this.  When I fist decided I was going to do this challenge, I was a little overwhelmed with where to start.  We have an elementary school proverb dictionary and I was just going to open it and random and look for anything interesting but Ghostess suggested that instead I open up Ghostlet's textbooks from last year and start with the ones he has been learning.  Then yesterday morning Ghotess was giving me a ride to the gym and I we got talking about these.  She asked what I had been learning and when I told her she was really surprised because some of them are pretty obscure (the one about light becoming dim wasn't even in the dictionary).  So from now on she is going to help me choose, to make sure I am getting something that I am likely to get more mileage out of.

Week 1 Thursday

5x5 Food

I was going to make salmon fettuccine last night but then Ghostess told me she would be home for dinner and  I know she doesn't like creamy pasta so I switched it up.  Instead I made some cabbage & pork and served it over rice.

NqXiZFk.jpg

It was really good, and Ghostlet even asked for seconds :) 

Sketching

I decided last night that I would rather play Diablo than sketch so that's what I did.  I really enjoyed it too :) 

Ukulele
Ukulele practice is really becoming an enjoyable habit which makes me pleased.  I went through all of songs a few times yesterday, plau a few more times for the new ones from this challenge

Proverbs
Based on a recommendation from Ghostess, I did (七上八下) which literally means "seven up eight down".  The meaning is something that could go either way, or something where the outcome is still up in the air and you really can't say which way it will go.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

It's funny you should ask this.  When I fist decided I was going to do this challenge, I was a little overwhelmed with where to start.  We have an elementary school proverb dictionary and I was just going to open it and random and look for anything interesting but Ghostess suggested that instead I open up Ghostlet's textbooks from last year and start with the ones he has been learning.  Then yesterday morning Ghotess was giving me a ride to the gym and I we got talking about these.  She asked what I had been learning and when I told her she was really surprised because some of them are pretty obscure (the one about light becoming dim wasn't even in the dictionary).  So from now on she is going to help me choose, to make sure I am getting something that I am likely to get more mileage out of.

That's very curious. Do you know when the text books were written? Cool that she's helping out now!

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 1:27 PM, Mad Hatter said:

That's very curious. Do you know when the text books were written? Cool that she's helping out now!

Yeah, they make new textbooks every year, so that one was printed 2 years ago.  The way it works is the ministry of Education will pick the texts that the students are supposed to learn, and a lot of them are from famous literature.  As such, the proverbs that come up those texts tend not to be the ones that are most common but the ones that are more likely to be culturally important.  

Week 1 Friday

5x5 Food

Friday is pizza day so nothing here

Sketching

Not today either

Ukulele

I did get a bit of practice in, but only because it was Ghostlet's turn with the TV

Proverbs

Today's proverb is 惊恐万状 (Jin Kong Wan Zhuang) and is used to express unspeakable terror (literally: the 10 thousand expressions of terror).   This is another less common one, but Ghostess didn't have time today to help me pick a common one

Unrelated to the challenge directly, but today may have been the least productive day of my life.  Between sending Ghostlet off to school and now I spent pretty much every minute playing Diablo.  The only time I took a break was when the pizza came and Ghostlet wanted to watch TV as he ate.  The biggest reason for this is because yesterday I went to the gym for the first time in a month and it completely destroyed me (but in the best way).  As I was sitting on the couch today there were a lot of times I was feeling thirsty but it was just too much effort to lean forward and grab my drink from the coffee table :D 

On the upside, I did accidentally get a new deadlift PR yesterday thanks to bad plate math.  I was using the curl bar which is only 5kg instead of the big 20kg bar and so I was going to load it up with 95kg to come up with an even hundred.  I messed that up and accidentally put on 105, bringing it to 110kg total, and was still able to get in a full 5 reps with that, even using double overhand grip :) 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Week 1 Saturday

5x5 Food

Yesterday we had a dinner in the evening so for lunch I made some salmon fettuccine.  Neither Ghostess nor Ghostlet were interested in having any so I just made a singe portion for myself.  I am used to making enough portions for leftovers so this was the first time to ever successfully make a dish that exactly enough for just one portion without any leftovers.

T8aH8wO.jpg

Sketching

I again did not do any sketching yesterday

Ukulele

I did a bit of practice, mostly just running though the songs I already have down

Proverbs

Yesterday's proverb was 纹丝不动 (Wen Si Bu Dong) which means completely motionless.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 1 Sunday

5x5 Food

I have already hit my 5 foods for the week, so I went and made up one for last week.  I decided to make Satay Beef with rice.  Ghostess was in the mood for some Winter squash & meatball soup, so we made some of that together to go with the Satay Beef.

qtWQbpW.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the soup :( 

Sketching

I just didn't feel like doing any.  I think it is because I was trying to do something hard and I didn't want to put in the effort for it.  I need to think about this more and figure out how to keep going

Ukulele

Same thing as yesterday, but today I got Ghostlet to join me and we put together a little video for y'all

My voice wasn't cooperating and I made tons of mistakes, but we had fun and I didn't feel like doing a bazillion takes until we got something perfect

Proverbs

Today's proverb is 愚公移山 (Yu Gong Yi Shan) which means to never give up (literally Yu Gong Moves a Mountain).   It is somewhat different from the one last week which also means never give up because this one is based on a famous story here about some guy named Yu Gong who was in charge of a village but there was a mountain there interfering with their Feng Shui.  He decided to move the mountain somewhere else, and so he got all of the villagers to work together to move the mountain little by little to another more auspicious location 

• Like 7

Week 1 Summary

5x5 Food

I not only did my 5 dishes for the week but I got in one extra one to make up for last week.  Resounding success!

Sketching

My minimum for the week was two sketches and I got in 3, so on paper this looks like a sucess, but it didn't really feel like one.  I guess I'll take it, though :) 

Ukulele

I got in practicing every single day this week, and got in a duet music video so another resounding success here

Proverbs

I am on a roll with these getting another 7 this week.  More success!

Overall a very great week :) 

I am way behind on everyone else's challenges, though, so I need to do some catching up next week

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

qtWQbpW.jpg

That beef looks like the most amazing thing I will never eat. 

13 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

As portrayed by this song.

Related image

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

As portrayed by this song.

Well played sir, I did not see that coming. 

Image result for spanish inquisition gif

I can't imagine how that video has reached more than 600 million views ;) 

13 hours ago, deftona said:

That beef looks like the most amazing thing I will never eat. 

There's still some leftovers if you hurry!  Seriously, though, if you ever come over here I would totally make it for you :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

There's still some leftovers if you hurry!  Seriously, though, if you ever come over here I would totally make it for you :) 

Hey, it's like you've read my new challenge! 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 5:47 PM, WhiteGhost said:

As I was sitting on the couch today there were a lot of times I was feeling thirsty but it was just too much effort to lean forward and grab my drink from the coffee table :D 

Hahaha! :D

Nice deadlift PR :)