• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost's Fantastically Fancy 5x5 Food Fandango

18 hours ago, deftona said:

Hey, it's like you've read my new challenge! 

It was nice of you to plan your challenge around my suggestions :P 

7 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Hahaha! :D

Nice deadlift PR :)

Haha, thanks!

Week 2 Monday

5x5 Food

I was going to make fish tacos, but Ghostess came home early again so I made the chicken & green pepper dish again because everyone loves that.  I had already thawed out the fish, though, so I made some breaded fish pieces which will go towards this challenge.  Unfortunately, I was in a rush taking the picture and it came out all blurry, so I don't have anything to show here.

Sketching

I didn't sketch anything but I did pick a topic for the week and took a reference photo

Ukulele

I picked a new song for the week and ran through it a few times, but I am not sure I like the arrangement so I may try to make some changes

Proverbs

Yesterday's proverb was 斩钉截铁 (Zhan Ding Jie Tie) which means to be firmly resolute in a belief.  Kind of like stubborn but with only positive implications

• Like 4

Week 2 Tuesday

5x5 Food

Taco Tuesday!  Today I made some regular ground beef soft tacos (tortillas not pictured)

G2fuvNi.jpg

Sketching

I didn't feel like doing anything but in the end I thought sketching would be preferable to coming here and saying I didn't do anything, so...

YKKxG9s.jpg

Ukulele

Had a good practice session and went through all of my songs a few times each

Proverbs

Today's proverb is 满载而归 (Man Zai Er Gui) which means to get a lot out of something, such as going to a conference and getting a lot of useful information.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, @mu said:

One proverb a day keeps the doctor away :D It's amazing, and oddly inspiring actually.

It goes both way :)  A big part of why I am doing these is from your Persian stuff

55 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Foot! I found it tricky, what about you? It looks good though!

SO. HARD.    I probably should watch some tutorials or something because I found it way harder than hands.  The shading turned out OK and kind of saved it.  Before I put the shading on it looked like a complete disaster.

Week 2 Wednesday

5x5 Food

Today I decided to do my vegetarian Chinese dish, which was 西红柿炒鸡蛋 (Xi Hong Shi Chao Ji Dan) which is an egg and tomato stir fry.

zNUd4UC.jpg

Sketching

I watched a tutorial and then did another foot sketch, but I guess the tutorial didn't really help that much.  I suspect I may end up having to do something drastic like practicing if I want to get better at this

sOss4mb.jpg

Ukulele

I have this dialed in.   No problems getting my uke practice in this challenge :) 

Proverbs

Today's proverb is 刻舟求剑 (Ke Zhou Qiu Jian) which comes from a famous story and literally means "carve the boat to find the sword".  In the story, a swordsman is crossing a lake on a boat and his sword falls off the side and he loses it into the lake.  He then marks the side of the boat where the sword fell so that they can look for it when the boats gets to calmer waters.  This is like the joke about the guy looking for his keys under the streetlight, even though he lost them somewhere else because the light is better there.  It describes someone who doesn't understand that the solutions to problems will change depending on the circumstances.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, @mu said:

One proverb a day keeps the doctor away :D It's amazing, and oddly inspiring actually.

Indeed!

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I suspect I may end up having to do something drastic like practicing if I want to get better at this

xD 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I watched a tutorial and then did another foot sketch, but I guess the tutorial didn't really help that much.  I suspect I may end up having to do something drastic like practicing if I want to get better at this

I disagree! About the tutorial not helping much, not the second part. :P To me it looks like you've paid a lot more attention to the lighting, for example compared to the apple there are only sharp contours in the shaded areas and not where the light falls on the foot.

16 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

"carve the boat to find the sword"

Great stuff. :D 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

xD 

<3

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Great stuff. :D 

Thanks, I have discovered that there seem to be 2 general categories of the proverbs, those that are just common old sayings, but some others are code for underlying stories, kind of like how in English if you hear "Sour Grapes" you know the meaning thanks to the Aesop fable that describes it.  I think these ones that have stories to go with them are more interesting

Week 2 Thursday

5x5 Food

Today was pan fried pork so I fried some pork chops and paired it with some honey rosemary carrots

MTlw1td.jpg

After I had already made dinner, I got a message from Ghostess that she wanted some too, so I gave her mine and I had leftovers from yesterday.  I did have a bite, though, and they were pretty good :) 

Sketching

None today

Ukulele

I actually spent a lot of time today playing the uke.  I had it in the living room and every time I passed through during the day I would stop and play a tune or 2.

Proverbs

Today's proverb is 郑人买履 (Zheng Ren Mai Lv) which is another one based on a story.  The literal meaning is "Man from Zheng buys shoes"  (Zheng was old kingdom in China from before the unification).  It kind of sounds like a headline from the slowest news day ever, but in the story, the guy from Zheng comes into the city to stop by the market to buy some shoes.  However, he left his string that he used to measure how big his shoes should be at home.  He leaves from the market to back home and get his string but by the time he gets back to the market it is all closed up.  When someone asks him why he didn't just try on a pair, he replied that he always gets the right size by measuring with that string and didn't trust his own feet.  The proverb is used to describe someone with no common sense and is unable to learn better ways to do something which already have their own way to do

• Like 5

I forgot to add in a note about the gym today because it isn't part of the challenge this time...

So I was back in the gym today and things were going really well in the beginning.  I even got a new PR for my bench, which I was pretty excited about.  However, doing "truck lifts" I think I pulled something in my back because the bit on om my right side just above my hip is unhappy whenever it has to do anything.  Hopefully it isn't anything serious but I am going to rest it up for a bit.

I decided to do a full on leg day, which meant I added in a bunch of new things and left off the rows and lat pulldowns.  The biggest discovery is that overhead squats are pretty impossible for me.  I can't even hold the empty bar and get down to even vertical.  I do like front squats, though.  They are great for isolating the quads and keeping the lower back from trying to jump in.  They have a ham curl machine but it is kind of silly because the maximum weight is only 80kgs.  I guess I will just have to stick with doing my GHRs at the park.  Also, weighted lunges are pure evil.

I tried the landmine twist things that @Hazard does and they were indeed a very good exercise.  I think they would be better if the bar I was using was affixed to the ground and didn't keep moving around.  Unfortunately I can't do them anymore because the staff came by and said that the big bars have to stay on the bench racks and can't be used on the floor.  The curl bars are just too short for that.

Speaking of curl bars, I have a question for any lifters following here:  What is the lift called where you hold a bar in an underhand grip about waist high, then you thrust your hips forward to push the bar and then to a quick tuck to bring your shoulder down to the bar?  Standing bar hip thrust vertical crunchies?  They seem to be super popular because I see people doing them every time I go to the gym...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Unfortunately I can't do them anymore because the staff came by and said that the big bars have to stay on the bench racks and can't be used on the floor. 

That's a shame. 

They range in price, but the pivot I have is from Titan, $25 on Amazon.  FYI, in case you ever decide you want one. 

Speaking of curl bars, I have a question for any lifters following here:  What is the lift called where you hold a bar in an underhand grip about waist high, then you thrust your hips forward to push the bar and then to a quick tuck to bring your shoulder down to the bar?  Standing bar hip thrust vertical crunchies? 

Hang clean.  No idea why they're doing it supinated.  And they're doing it with an EZ bar?

They have a ham curl machine but it is kind of silly because the maximum weight is only 80kgs

Have you conquered the stack doing it as a single-leg exercise yet?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hazard said:

FYI, in case you ever decide you want one.

Thanks, I don't really have room for one at home though

Hang clean.  No idea why they're doing it supinated.  And they're doing it with an EZ bar?

This was supposed to be a joke.  What they are trying to do is bar curls but the bar itself doesn't even really move except at the bottom with the hip push.  They then lean way forward to get their shoulders to the bar because the bar sure as heck isn't coming to their shoulders.  It seems the exercise is more cardio than strength :D 

Have you conquered the stack doing it as a single-leg exercise yet?

Not yet, but single leg is my only option if I am going to use this machine

-----------------------------------------

I was not feeling as sore as I expected this morning so I went to the park.  While I was there I invented a new muscleup progression to work on between jump muscleups and strict ones.  I call it the cheat muscleup and I get there using what I am going to call the false false grip (false2 grip?) as demonstrated below:

Animated GIF

The guys at the park who can do muscleups insist that these cheat ones are actually harder than regular ones, but I find these much easier.  In other news, my arms are so bruised a doctor actually asked me if I was self harming.  If I had matching bruises on my legs I would look like a pole dancer :D 

Following an exchange I had with @Mad Hatter over on her thread, I am going to start focusing on one-hand handstands throughout the rest of this year.  

Week 2 Friday

5x5 Food

Today I had to make a Chicken Pasta dish to complete my 5x5 matrix so I went with Chicken Spaghetti Alfredo.

PrSmKiZ.jpg

Sketching

I didn't do any sketching yet (I may do some later) but I did take a few reference photos to work on this weekend

Ukulele

I just realized as I was typing this up that I haven't practiced yet today.  I will go do that now :) 

Proverbs

Today's proverb is 鹬蚌相争 (Yu Bang Xiang Zheng) and it is actually the first half of an 8 character proverb.  The last four characters are 渔翁得利 (Yu Weng De Li).  The whole thing combined means "when the snipe and the clam fight, the fisherman wins".  The proverb means when we bicker among ourselves, someone stronger is going to come along as take us both out.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Today's proverb is 鹬蚌相争 (Yu Bang Xiang Zheng) and it is actually the first half of an 8 character proverb.  The last four characters are 渔翁得利 (Yu Weng De Li).  The whole thing combined means "when the snipe and the clam fight, the fisherman wins".  The proverb means when we bicker among ourselves, someone stronger is going to come along as take us both out.

Ooooh, I really like this one!

Are those peas or capers?  Either way, looks delicious! 

Also, random question but just realized the title 5 x 5 and I can't say that without having it in Faith voice from Buffy.  Intentional reference?  Happy weekend :)

• Like 1

I got the joke :D

On 9/26/2019 at 2:53 PM, WhiteGhost said:

kind of like how in English if you hear "Sour Grapes" you know the meaning thanks to the Aesop fable that describes it.

I learn something new on NF every day! 

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

someone stronger is going to come along as take us both out.

A bit like 'we should work together or we shall surely hang together'. 

11 hours ago, redgrill18 said:

Are those peas or capers?  Either way, looks delicious! 

Peas (I don't even know what capers are).  I fried them up together with the chicken

11 hours ago, redgrill18 said:

Also, random question but just realized the title 5 x 5 and I can't say that without having it in Faith voice from Buffy.  Intentional reference?  Happy weekend :)

I haven't ever watched Buffy so I don't even know what the Faith voice sounds like.  Totally unintentional...

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

A bit like 'we should work together or we shall surely hang together'. 

Kind of :)  It doesn't have the same kind of forced cooperation implications, though, more of a warning put aside differences to focus on a common threat

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I learn something new on NF every day! 

Do you have an equivalent in Dutch?  I assume you guys are familiar with the Aesop fables

On 9/25/2019 at 2:16 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I suspect I may end up having to do something drastic like practicing if I want to get better at this

I've heard about that thing called practice too. Have you tried yet? :D 

On 9/25/2019 at 2:16 PM, WhiteGhost said:

He then marks the side of the boat where the sword fell

I loved this part, haha.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, deftona said:

Image result for shocked buffy gif

buffy the vampire slayer deal with it GIF

27 minutes ago, zenLara said:

I've heard about that thing called practice too. Have you tried yet?

Not yet. I've heard great things about it though

Week 2 Saturday

5x5 Food

I have already filled my matrix this week so I listened to the people and the people wanted pork.  I made Braised Ribs and Pork & Peppers, both of which were great.

5idcM1K.jpg

Sketching

Uh, nope.  I had good intentions but we all know where the road paved with those leads.

Ukulele

Got oodles of uke practice in, especially because I was practicing as I was watching the food simmer on the stove.  I also made a video of the song for this week

Proverbs

Today's proverb is one of my all time favorites, coming from a story I learned my second month in China.  It really stuck with me and he become a part of my core philosophy.  The proverb is 塞翁失马,焉知非福 (Sai Weng Shi Ma, Yan Zhi Fei Fu) and it literally translates as "Mr. Sai lost his horse, but is it really misfortune".  In the story, Old Man Sai's only horse ran away.  His neighbors came to commiserate with him but he just said "What's gone is gone, but who knows if it is really a misfortune".  A few weeks later his horse returned leading a pack of wild horses.  The neighbors came to congratulate him but again he just said "I have what I have, but who knows if it is really good fortune".  Later his only son was trying to tame one of the wild horses and he fell of and broke his leg.  Again the neighbors came to commiserate but again he just said "who knows if it is really misfortune".  A week later, messengers from the emperor arrived with orders to conscript every able bodied young man.  Because of the son's broken leg, he wasn't shipped off to war.  The obvious oral of the story is that you don't need to worry too much if something seems to be going wrong, it could work out for the best in the end.  On the other hand, you don't need to get too cocky when things seem to be going well, because it things can turn around very quickly.

• Like 5

Week 2 Summary

I am cutting this week one day short and skipping all of next week.  The rest of this challenge will resume when I am back on Oct 8.  China is celebrating its 70th birthday and to avoid all of the hubbub happening here in the capital, we have book a week long cruise to Japan.  I have no idea if I will have any internet while I am on the boat, but if not, I am probably doing a bunch of the stuff I would be doing anyway, just on a boat.  I am going to take my sketch book and ukulele with me, and I have no idea how much trickier handstands are going to be, but I will find out soon.

5x5 Food

This week I hit all of my target foods plus 2, so very happy with this one.  Complete success!

Sketching

I did my minimum 2 sketches but I that is just scraping by and I am not going to give myself a success for this category this week.  Barely even merits a "Meets Expectations" but no better.

Ukulele

Another rousing success.  You may not have noticed, but every uke song I have put up on this forum has been about, or associated with ships.  (My Heart Will Go On, Irish Rover, Unicorn, The Ship Titanic).  I am going to ignore the part where all of those songs also associate those ships with some kid of major disaster :D 

Proverbs

Again a huge success here.  I got 6 out of seven days and tomorrow is going to be 三心二意 (San Xin Er Yi) which literally translates as "three hearts and 2 ideas" and means to be scatterbrained and not focused on any one thing (Often directed at kids who are daydreaming instead of focusing on their homework

• Like 3

13 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Another rousing success.  You may not have noticed, but every uke song I have put up on this forum has been about, or associated with ships.  (My Heart Will Go On, Irish Rover, Unicorn, The Ship Titanic).  I am going to ignore the part where all of those songs also associate those ships with some kid of major disaster :D 

Sounds like they're all going to be crowdpleasers at the cruise ship though. ;) :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Great job on the song, and I was distracted by the awesome toys in the background.

Thanks, I love my toys :)

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Did you watch Star Trek TNG? The Chinese proverbs remind me of this episode.

9243fddd65a473b9f24e87901d543800.jpg

I watched it when it was on TV back in the 90s but haven't seen it since.  I don't recall that particular episode

12 hours ago, Hazard said:

Mirin' dat Star Wars collection. 

If I had filmed more to the left you would have been looking at my transformers 

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Sounds like they're all going to be crowdpleasers at the cruise ship though. ;) :lol:

Haha, I guess we'll soon find out :D

Supposed to be getting on our ship in a few hours and we just got a message from the cruise company that there is a typhoon headed our way and if we want to back out now they will give us a 50% refund. 

We have decided to go ahead anyway, so there could be a couple days of rough waters ahead. Luckily I know a few songs to pass the time :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1