• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost's Fantastically Fancy 5x5 Food Fandango

Recommended Posts

I find them easier because they are less familiar than humans so if something isn't quite right... It's more forgiving. But that's just me lol I was doing a painting that has a human hand in it and the hand took a month or so. Lol

 

Also beef straganoff sounds delicious.. Even moreso with mushrooms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 7:54 PM, Rookie said:

I find them easier because they are less familiar than humans so if something isn't quite right... It's more forgiving. But that's just me lol I was doing a painting that has a human hand in it and the hand took a month or so. Lol

 

Also beef straganoff sounds delicious.. Even moreso with mushrooms

For me it is the opposite, I would have a harder time drawing animals because they are less familiar so I don't know what the proportions should be.

 

Stroganoff was delicious

 

Week 5 Saturday

 

5x5 Food

Today was the last day of the program, and it finished off with Vegetarian/Mexican so I made some bean & cheese burritos for lunch.  I didn't take any pictures, though.

 

Sketching

Nope

 

Ukulele

Nope

 

Proverbs

Nothing  

 

Handstands

Nothing

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

For me it is the opposite, I would have a harder time drawing animals because they are less familiar so I don't know what the proportions should be.

Maybe this is why you're struggling - if you're trying to draw what you think something is supposed to look as opposed to what it actually looks like it's hard to make a realistic drawing. The brain likes to make up its own proportions, for example arms in real life are a lot longer than most people think, hands bigger than they seem, feet get small and eyes and head huge. Proportions gets especially distorted if you draw things at funky angles or people in funky positions. It's quite interesting really.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Maybe this is why you're struggling - if you're trying to draw what you think something is supposed to look as opposed to what it actually looks like it's hard to make a realistic drawing. The brain likes to make up its own proportions, for example arms in real life are a lot longer than most people think, hands bigger than they seem, feet get small and eyes and head huge. Proportions gets especially distorted if you draw things at funky angles or people in funky positions. It's quite interesting really.

Could be.  I was able to get a feel for faces (and hands to a certain extent) because I started with tutorials that focused on relative proportions.  That way I could build a basic outline that looked vaguely like it should and then flesh it out from there.  For feet (and for other thing like animals) I just don't know what the proportions should be so I just kind of eyeball it and it never comes out right.  Probably due to the effect you mentioned.  I really think I should take a focused course.  I will go back and revisit Udemy this week and see if there is something that grabs me.

 

Week 5 Sunday

 

I did absolutely nothing for all 5 categories today so I am not going to bother listing them out.  I think I will just do a challenge review and be done with it.

 

Challenge review:

 

5x5 Food

I did really well on this, even though it was harder than I thought having to make specific foods.  I ended up getting 24/25 of the food combinations on the original schedule (missed on on Pork/Mexican) and overall I am very happy with how this turned out.

 

Sketching

This one started out strong but them I got discouraged trying to draw stuff beyond my capability.  I didn't do as much sketching as I had intended, but I still learned a bit, particularly about my behaviours and what I need to do to get back on track

 

Ukulele

This one also started out well, mostly because I was super motivated to learns some songs to sing while I was on my cruise.  After that I got hit with the triple whammy of no specific goal/trying to learn a song too advanced for me/internet connection issues.  Oh well, I am still happy with how this went and feel good about keeping it going in some form going forward.

 

Proverbs

I was doing great until I got lazy and looked for short cuts.  Not a great way to make progress.  Overall still going to call this one a success.

 

Handstands

This one got added in midway through the challenge so hard to judge over a short period, but I am going to call this one a win too.  I haven't actually made any measurable progress here, but when progress comes in millisecond increments, patience is the word.  Consistency is the other word, and although I haven't been perfect I have been doing reasonably ok.  

 

Overall score? Let's call it a win but I will admit it had a really weak finish.  I'm ready for the next challenge to start, let's bring it on!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I did really well on this, even though it was harder than I thought having to make specific foods.  I ended up getting 24/25 of the food combinations on the original schedule (missed on on Pork/Mexican) and overall I am very happy with how this turned out.

This was such a big win! And your food looked soooo good!

 

I really hope you'll find your motivation for ukulele and sketching because I love seeing the output. :) 

 

8 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

patience is the word.

Yep!

 

Looking forward to the next one!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I really hope you'll find your motivation for ukulele and sketching because I love seeing the output. :) 

 

Thanks, I expect I will at least do a bit, hopefully more :) 

 

13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Looking forward to the next one!

Next one is up

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 11:17 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Do you know where this whole thing comes from? It's always been baffling to me, it's like whoever came up with this had never seen anyone squat, in power lifting/olympic lifting or you know, human beings with different proportions, or why would it be ok to do it when say sprinting, but if you load the knee with weights instead of the dynamic load your knees will explode?

In the US they used to teach this in medicine school. I have read one of the studies it is based on. Basically the used some early sensors and math the measure the sheering force of the knee when bent past 90 degrees and it was (digging into the mists of my memory here so check this before quoting) 150x or so what it is when a person stands. It was determined, seemingly arbitrarily to me, to be a dangerous amount of change. 

It was an old study and pretty BS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 10:42 PM, The Most Loathed said:

In the US they used to teach this in medicine school. I have read one of the studies it is based on. Basically the used some early sensors and math the measure the sheering force of the knee when bent past 90 degrees and it was (digging into the mists of my memory here so check this before quoting) 150x or so what it is when a person stands. It was determined, seemingly arbitrarily to me, to be a dangerous amount of change. 

It was an old study and pretty BS.

Hmm, very interesting.  Seems this misinformation goes back a long way...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.