• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena enjoys 'Hero Season'

Following!

On 9/8/2019 at 7:08 PM, Xena said:

The big news is that I have bought a new coffeemaker. I was buying some other stuff and wanted to save on shipping. I figure it's ok as long as I leave it in the box until I've earned it :-)

Yay for getting the coffeemaker! You have made a lot of progress on the pushups. A few a day and you'll get there in no time.

I like the press-the-button-and-walk-away aspect of coffeemakers. Any time that I want coffee is a time I don't want to interact much with it. Either I am making breakfast or I'm sitting like a zombie until the coffee is done. If I had coffee every day I would want the timer feature so it was ready and waiting for me.

On 9/11/2019 at 7:14 PM, Xena said:

Just talked with my running coach. Feeling much more positive :-)

I'm bad at running in the heat, and every summer I get discouraged. I know this about myself, but it's still hard to see past it sometimes. I dug out the email I wrote to my coach last November when I first started working with him. I described the exact same problem. Now that it's cooler I'm finally starting to be able to run better. The coach is pretty happy about the solid base I've been putting in over the past several months and thinks things will start coming together in the fall. He gave me that common advice (that many many people need including me) of taking my easy days easier. He also gave me some advice about pacing during my long runs.

Anyway...I'm now feeling good about where I am with things.

Excellent!

I'm glad that working with your coach has helped you get through the slog of running in the heat. I hope you start to see the pay-off soon.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 5:19 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Actually, why not put a cup of coffee on the floor and take a sip with each rep? Instant motivation and optional steamy face spa!

I think caffeine does something good for skin too. Tightens it or something.

---------

Not too much to report. I was away for the weekend attending a couple of weddings.

Today was a catch-up day. Tomorrow I'm getting serious about this challenge!

• Like 8

Yesterday a little over 4 miles with some intervals. AND made it to the gym. Among other things, I tried the KB halos and getups. I had worked on getups a while back but my muscles don't remember the movements too well. It needs work...I'll work on it at home a bit with a light dumbbell.

Today 5 miles easy on trail.

Work has been ok-ish. I've shoved aside some of the unending admin stuff to do what I consider "actual meaningful work." That part was nice.

Gym (1/12), Pushups (71/100), Chinups (18/50), Calories (2/16)

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Xena said:

Work has been ok-ish. I've shoved aside some of the unending admin stuff to do what I consider "actual meaningful work." That part was nice.

Good for you on getting meaningful work done. That admin stuff is mind-numbing, even if it is necessary.

On 9/8/2019 at 8:08 PM, Xena said:

The big news is that I have bought a new coffeemaker.

Live your best life, girl, you're worth it!

• Like 2

I threw out my back this morning while picking up a coffee cup. I'm not joking.

I literally just had an epiphany while typing this. It just occurred to me that this is some kind of creepy supernatural revenge from the possessed coffeemaker who can now see that he/she/it has been replaced by a newer sleeker (i.e., actually functional) model.

I think I need to move. Or switch to tea.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 4

Here's to hoping you're feeling better.

As alternative options, you may consider:

- calling in the Ghostbusters.

- renting a hotel room, recovering and doing push-ups once your back can take it until you can send Old Coffeemaker's carcass away from your home, along with its tortured soul.

- speaking of it with your doctor.

- speaking of it with your local exorcist.

- speaking of it with your psychiatrist.

- getting a good massage (those always help!).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/20/2019 at 9:40 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

My back got thrown out sneezing once. May I retroactively blame your old coffee maker?

oh heck yes!

On 9/21/2019 at 10:48 AM, Jean said:

Here's to hoping you're feeling better.

As alternative options, you may consider:

- calling in the Ghostbusters.

- renting a hotel room, recovering and doing push-ups once your back can take it until you can send Old Coffeemaker's carcass away from your home, along with its tortured soul.

- speaking of it with your doctor.

- speaking of it with your local exorcist.

- speaking of it with your psychiatrist.

- getting a good massage (those always help!).

This is fantastic! I'm excited to have such a diverse suite of options :-)

On 9/21/2019 at 11:11 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Just be glad it wasn’t a kombucha poltergeist. Those will mess you up bad.

I can't even imagine!

On 9/21/2019 at 12:09 PM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Such a pesky coffeemaker, putting that jinx on the mug!

Hope your back feels better soon. *hugs*

(The laughing smiley was for the coffeemaker, not at you hurting your back)

Thanks Elise!

14 hours ago, Novaurora said:

I hope you're feeling better!  And you weren't kidding about that coffee maker....dang

Truth.

----------

Long story short: My back still hurts, but I actually can run like this.

It feels similar to what I did a couple years ago. In my experience, running probably doesn't help, but surprisingly doesn't aggravate it too much. I talked with my coach today and we decided not to do any fast speedwork but otherwise to go cautiously forward.

My injury protocols:

Keep up normal running unless it seems painful (more painful than normal moving around)

Regular yoga and/or back rehab-y stuff, include psoas/hip stretching

Get back to regular pushups, but scale to knee....the full pushups take too much core strength/general intense effort

Don't worry about other gym stuff for now

For general relief: foam rolling, topical treatment, TENS

Consider fitting in a massage

Week 1 Recap

Run 125 miles...Got 25 almost exactly (even with the sore back), so fine here

Cross train 3x per week. I think only 1/12 so far. Week was kind of weird because I was playing catchup after some travel. This week I'll be counting a lot of yoga.

Calories under 2300 at least 16 days. Only 3/16 so far (counting today) but more a lack of logging than anything else. I hit a new low today, so I'm not worried.

Deep clean the dining room and closets. Have made progress on drying paint (yay!) but nothing else. A lot of the jobs involve lifting or bending so I'm not in a run to do this with a sore back. Should be able to make a dent in it this weekend.

100 pushups 10 this week. Up to 71/100. Won't try full pushups again until my back is a little better

50 chin up negatives 18/50, but now need to wait until my back is a little better

Sushi list...have all the will stuff printed. Now just need to come up with a plan to get it notarized. It's a hassle to round up two witnesses and get them to go with me to a notary. Especially after figuring out I shouldn't ask my BFF because she's named in it (even though it's for something with no monetary value). Will make in inquiry by Wednesday. Hoping our condo property manager's office can do it and that at least one of them would be willing to serve as a witness.

• Like 5

Too bad the pain seems to be there to stay for a while but glad you've got it sorted out with your coach. Definitely try the massage out. If you can have it performed by someone with back injuries treatment background, all the better.

I'm seriously impressed by how you're not letting it drag you down on this challenge. Keep rocking on!

• Like 1

hope the back is feeling better! I have a ton of sage in my garden if you want me to make you a smudge stick to drive the coffemaker demons out of your kitchen.

Can't hurt!

On 9/23/2019 at 9:46 PM, Jean said:

Too bad the pain seems to be there to stay for a while but glad you've got it sorted out with your coach. Definitely try the massage out. If you can have it performed by someone with back injuries treatment background, all the better.

I'm seriously impressed by how you're not letting it drag you down on this challenge. Keep rocking on!

Thanks! I'm doing MUCH better.

On 9/24/2019 at 6:54 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Wow, so impressed that you are continuing to do the things you are able to, yet not trying to aggravate your back.

Look at those numbers! Your pushups and chin ups have climbed!

Way to go.

Haven't made progress this week, but ready to start again tomorrow! Thanks for the encouragement :-)

On 9/24/2019 at 11:03 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Here's a link I found to a Notary Locator.

https://secure.usnotaries.net/nps/directory.asp?SiteID=0&StateID=40

Cool! I do know where there is one locally. I was hoping the property office could do it because people there actually know me, so maybe one of them could serve as my second witness. It's kind of a hassle to round up two people who aren't named in a will to serve as witnesses.

On 9/24/2019 at 4:35 PM, DJtrippyT said:

hope the back is feeling better! I have a ton of sage in my garden if you want me to make you a smudge stick to drive the coffemaker demons out of your kitchen.

Can't hurt!

LOVE this idea. I think I will try to create some kind of ritual for next weekend :-)

Week 2 Update
The main thing is MY BACK IS BETTER! I know I still need to be a little careful and spend time taking care of it, but I'm SO happy it doesn't hurt anymore. I was nervous because I had a prolonged injury a couple years ago. Anyway better now.

I haven't figured out all my stats for the week (like I think diet was good, but I'm not really sure how many days I was compliant). Sometimes I avoid posting here when I haven't had time to figure that stuff out. This time, I thought it would be better to just say hi to everyone and worry about the numbers later.

The one number that I do know is my mileage. I get 32 miles this week to give me 57/15 for the challenge. I'm really happy to report that I had a very solid 15-miler today. I was supposed to run it as a pretty substantial negative split. I didn't quite manage what was "Rx", but I kept a really solid pace and didn't crash out at the end.

• Like 7

I'm excited to be getting back on schedule this week. Going to the gym after work tomorrow and will go to yoga on Wed. My favorite teacher is starting a 10-week series on Wednesday nights. I'm psyched about it because I often have conflicts with her Saturday class.

• Like 4

I'm glad your back is feeling better!

Good for you keeping up with the running even when it hurt. One of the challenges of aging is figuring out which pains are general creakiness and which are actual injuries. Moving helps get rid of creakiness. Injuries require specific rehab. I hope your back was just having a creaky day.

It's hard to get up early this time of year (dark until the time changes). So I slept a little late and had to run after work. That was kind of nice...ended up kind of chasing the daylight on the trail.

I've been slacking on all the cross-training stuff. But tomorrow is my actual yoga class, so I'm pretty sure I'll make it there.

I also made some good progress this weekend on the house cleaning goal. Moved my paddleboard out of the dining room and deep-cleaned one closed (took everything out, scrubbed inside, threw some stuff away and put some stuff back). Gotta finish sorting through the rest of the stuff I took out of the closet.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xena said:

It's hard to get up early this time of year (dark until the time changes). So I slept a little late and had to run after work. That was kind of nice...ended up kind of chasing the daylight on the trail.

I've been slacking on all the cross-training stuff. But tomorrow is my actual yoga class, so I'm pretty sure I'll make it there.

I also made some good progress this weekend on the house cleaning goal. Moved my paddleboard out of the dining room and deep-cleaned one closed (took everything out, scrubbed inside, threw some stuff away and put some stuff back). Gotta finish sorting through the rest of the stuff I took out of the closet.

Nice going!

At the moment we are doing our best to keep the kids lying in later. It is already broad daylight way before 6am in the mornings.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Xena said:

Yay for cleaning your closet! That takes courage to face those dark corners. And to face sorting the stuff.

I hope you are getting nicer weather as the days shorten.